• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

The man has spoken. Thanks for popping in! I need to update the OP to reflect the changes. By Portland, I'm going to assume you mean Portland, OR and not Portland, ME. I met a few artists and people working at cons that live in Portland and it sounds like a charming place. I heard a bunch of funny stories about how it's pretty common to run into Chuck Palahniuk at bars and whatnot.

In regards to your second post, I think it might have been that username that I was chatting with. My memory is awful but he did mention that he knew you when I mentioned your name. A well groomed mustache sounds quite fitting for the location.

Yeah, Portland Oregon. It's cool so far though. I'm enjoying myself :) But let me know if you need assistance with anything else.

daffy

Banned
If you don't want to look like a tourist and stand out, use Google Maps to get around as opposed to an MTA map. Otherwise, download a PDF of the subway map available at mta.info to your tablet/phone and familiarize yourself with the subway/bus and whatever places you plan to hit up that's near that station. If you plan to stay in Manhattan only, it's easy enough to navigate because everything is divided by north, south, east, and west. It's completely dependent on what you plan to see.

Although it gets a bit trickier when you get to Lower Manhattan after all the numbered streets end and you start getting smaller streets that can be easily overlooked. You can use a free transfer after taking the subway to take the bus crosstown from east to west and vice versa with bus transfers working on the subway. I think a week is enough where you can check out some places in Brooklyn and Queens. The outer boroughs outside of Manhattan are trickier to navigate but manageable as there will always be a subway station and a map nearby (the Citibike stops have maps).
Just downloaded the PDFs. Thank you very much. Hoping the free transfers are not too difficult to notice. I want to see quite a lot of Brooklyn Queens and Manhattan.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
The Zelda Escape Room Is A Little Disappointing (And Not Really An Escape Room)

I1RbbiI.gif

Seems to have been a problem for most people in my office

I guess just missed it... actually my train went express from Nevins to Wall Street (3 line)
I normally take the B/Q. Those weren't even running out of my station so I walked to a 2, it's slow as fucking going into Manhattan and I think I blacked out a few times.

Jhoan

Well they advertised it as a Mystery Room. Still, I had fun. Was there a GAF meetup at some bar close to the Zelda venue? I saw a sign that said GAF but didn't go in because I was headed to the mystery room.
If it was in the Times Square area, then you're referring to The Gaf (West). There's another one on E 86th between 2nd and 3rd.

hoggert

I have to leave for work around 5:30am so its absolutely terrific with it being all bright and sunny. Earlier this spring had one too many dudes emerge out of the shadows like fucking batman, ask me for five bucks, and then follow me for a couple of blocks trying giving me shit.

also I joined the Discord. Let's see if i remember to interact!

NYC gaf, is it possible to (comfortably) live in manhattan on 62k a year by myself? I'm living in NJ right now and commuting into work, and the hour long each way commute every day is really starting to kick my ass. I work on 34th/7th and wouldn't want to be too far from there, somewhere where I could get from home to work in 15-20 minutes preferably.

Am I insane for even trying to look? If so, at what salary does it take for a single dude free of any kind of dependents/commitments need to reach to be able to be comfortable working and living in the garment district?

I'm finding a decent amount of apartments in the 1500-2000$/month range, but I've got no idea what kind of other costs I'm looking at as far as utilities and whatnot go.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NYC gaf, is it possible to (comfortably) live in manhattan on 62k a year by myself? I'm living in NJ right now and commuting into work, and the hour long each way commute every day is really starting to kick my ass. I work on 34th/7th and wouldn't want to be too far from there, somewhere where I could get from home to work in 15-20 minutes preferably.

Am I insane for even trying to look? If so, at what salary does it take for a single dude free of any kind of dependents/commitments need to reach to be able to be comfortable working and living in the garment district?

I'm finding a decent amount of apartments in the 1500-2000$/month range, but I've got no idea what kind of other costs I'm looking at as far as utilities and whatnot go.

Depends entirely on what part of Manhattan, but so long as you don't try and force a move to Midtown you should be able to pull it off.

Penguin

Oh you work down the street!

Hmm I'd say look near the edges of Manhattan but more than your 15-20 mins

Oxn

at 62K a month renting at that price you will only scrap by and not save any money.

Yesterday was one shitty day with all the rain but it looks like things about to heat up! Should be nice today for Mother's Day so go get some nice flowers and stuff for the lady!

As for living in Manhattan at 62k a year try out Inwood/Washington Heights. Its usually a 30 minute commute via the A subway. You may find a deal up there but its getting pricier everyday. I lived in the Heights a few years ago and was paying 1400 a month. Not sure what its like these days but I assume much higher but you never know unless you look! You could always do the roommate thing but thats gross to me.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Yesterday was one shitty day with all the rain but it looks like things about to heat up! Should be nice today for Mother's Day so go get some nice flowers and stuff for the lady!
The weather was going to be the sole indicator on how well I dress up for when visiting my mom today.

Jhoan

seattle is like a college town with skyscrapers

Don't forget tree hugging hippies, Mt.Ranier, people in trees being the norm, and dat $15/hr minimum wage! It sounds a lot like Boston/Chicago. At least you're near by Vancouver as an added bonus and get to go to E3.

Happy to hear you made it all the way out there already which reminds me that I still need to finish inking, then paint the portrait based on the pic that I took of you before sending it off to you.

Meanwhile back in NYC...

Stray observations: When I finished working my shift at Columbia University last night, a massive flood of students came out of a building from a party. Half of them were visibly drunk as evidenced by the obligatory red drinking cup, celebrations, and stumbling. Although I noticed that most of them were white and Asian with the occasional Southeast Asian.

I did see some African-American graduates and quite a handful of Hispanic grads earlier in the day but it seems clear that they still have a diversity problem. Columbia/Ivy League life fascinates the hell out of me as outsider looking in who will possibly never understand it. A bunch of parents clearly had money as evidenced by the suits and demeanor.

I also noticed that each school/major had their own graduation props e.g. flags for international relations, blow up hammers for engineering school grads, etc. Plus each school got it's own graduation party reception complete with free (fancy-ish) food, feed alcohol/drinks, and a live band!

taybul

2 separate and (hopefully) unrelated incidents of crowds getting run over today: one at Times Square, another on Staten Island. Stay safe, folks!

update: Staten Isl claim could be a hoax

Jhoan

2 separate and (hopefully) unrelated incidents of crowds getting run over today: one at Times Square, another on Staten Island. Stay safe, folks!

update: Staten Isl claim could be a hoax
WNYC says of Times Square incident 1 dead, a dozen injured. Cuomo is on his way, driver was 26 and checking to see if he was DUI.

Pau

Anyone else have an amazing commute this morning? Took me about 2 hours and 40 minutes to get to work.

It usually takes 40. :/

Oxn

Anyone else have an amazing commute this morning? Took me about 2 hours and 40 minutes to get to work.

I had an amazing comute. Got out of bed and walked over to my workstation 2 feet away.

Jhoan

Nah, I arrived to my gig at Columbia University at exactly 7:30am so I can't complain. We were supposed to be there by 7am but the gig boss liked us enough to let us arrive at 7:30. Then again, I only live a couple of stops away so the commute was short.

The only person that has seen me in person on here has been DavidwangChoi. So that's hopefully enough confirmation that I exist and not some photography posting AI sub routine.

Top Bottom