It’s that time again! The last big con of the year and a reminder that the new season of The Walking Dead is upon us.
Previously on NYCC...
If anyone wants to relive last year’s con, just blast this and check out these galleries:
(If anyone else has photos, let me know!)
- Fan verification!
Did it do anything to keep the scalpers at bay? ¯\_(ツ_/¯
- NYCC Presents:
RIP New York Super Week. Long live NYCC Presents. They’ve done away with the useless Super Week Card but kept all the events leading up to the con. Events range from live podcasts, burlesque, concerts, and panels.
- Funko Lottery:
To manage expectations and overcrowding, the Funko booth is holding a lottery for purchasing exclusives. Deadline is 9/26. For details and to sign up, click here.
- BookCon @ NYC:
BookCon, the yearly literary convention, piggybacks off of BookExpo America, which took place in Chicago earlier this year. For anyone who missed out you’ll be glad to hear that ReedPOP is bringing a piece of the con off-site. It’ll be at the Hudson Mercantile and it’s hosting its own panels and signings.
- They've updated their weapons policy.
- On 10/5 there’s a red carpet event called “Heroes After Dark” that’ll open the con. Tickets were $400.
- It’s Stan Lee’s last appearance at NYCC. ‘Nuff said!
- Follow @NYCCLines for line updates.
- The Empire Stage is gone. 1E is now the Experimental Zone with a lot of VR stuff.
The official site is garbage. Why did they add a faux loading screening? I don’t know. Here’s a bunch of links for reference:
Maps: Javits Overview | Show Floor | Artist Alley | Area Map
Exhibitors: Exhibitor List (including Artist Alley) | Exclusives
As a reminder, you’ll need to enter the Funko lottery if you’re hoping to buy stuff at their booth.
- Kid Robot
- Funko: Wave 1 | Wave 2 | Wave 3 | Wave 4 | Wave 5
- Dark Horse
- Super7: Vinyl Figures | Apparel | ReAction Figures | More Apparel | MOTU Portfolio | More Vinyl
- Spoke Art
- Bottleneck Gallery: General Info | Update 1 | Update 2 | Update 3 | Update 4 | Update 5
- Grey Matter Art
Panels: View All | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday
The Main Hall is still being cleared out after every panel, but they're now using your RFID badge to reserve space. Details here.
The Hammerstein Ballroom | Map
Madison Square Garden | Map
Here's a list of all the panels, courtesy of The Beat.
Variety has posted a list of all the television panels and screenings.
- War for the Planet of the Apes
Entry is determined by a giveaway. You can enter here. Deadline is 10/3.
- Doctor Who panel with Matt Smith: Thursday, 10/6, 2:00PM, Main Stage
- Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders World Premiere: Thursday, 10/6, 5:30PM, Main Stage
Adam West will be there!
- Archer Screening/Q&A: Thursday, 10/6, 6:45PM, Hammerstein Ballroom
The entire cast will be there and they’re entertaining as hell.
- Stranger Things panel: Friday, 10/7, 11:00AM, Main Stage
- Screen Gems panel: Friday, 10/7, 1:30PM, MSG
It's one of the few movie panels at NYCC. Featuring the upcoming Resident Evil and Underworld movies.
- Stan Lee Creators Roundtable: Friday, 10/7, 6:00PM, MSG
- Lionsgate panel: Saturday, 10/8, 2:00PM, MSG
One of the other movie panels. Featuring Power Rangers and John Wick 2.
- Marvel’s Iron Fist: Saturday, 10/8, 6:30PM, Main Stage
- Also, blah blah blah, Walking Dead: Saturday, 10/8, 5:30PM, MSG
- Westworld Screening/Q&A: Sunday, 10/9, 3:30PM, Hammerstein Ballroom
Off-site Event Highlights:
- Adult Swim events
There’s a cruise you can RSVP for. I think Run the Jewels played the first one.
- Image Comics is throwing two parties
- There's a "Wizard" party within the Image party on Friday
- Sonicbookbox is throwing two parties, although one of them is the same as the Image party on Friday.
- Acme Archives and Dreamworks Animation are throwing a Voltron party in Bushwick on Friday.
Artist Alley: Artist Alley List | Artist Gallery
Having difficulty thinking of subject for a commission or sketch from an artist? Maybe do a search on Comic Art Fans to get an idea. It helped me while I was signing up for pre-show commissions.
Autographs and Photo Ops: View All | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday | Photo Ops
You can enter for a chance to have a private autograph session. Lottery ends 9/27.
Nobody blames you for grabbing that terrible Korean hot dog from the back of the Javits because you had to run to a panel. Next time find something else…
Food Trucks: They’ll be around and the quality is better than what’s inside, BUT they do have to negotiate their pricing with the Javits so it might be pricier than you’re accustomed to.
Old Country Coffee: Ended up eating a bruschetta sandwich from here while I was around for Star Trek: Mission New York and it was really, really good. If you’re coming in, maybe avoid the large Starbucks line and stop by here.
Gotham West Market: A lot of different venues. Good food.
Daisy May’s BBQ: A bit of a trek but it’s good BBQ... just don’t get the brisket.
Skylight Diner: Decent diner.
Pio Pio: Good Peruvian food.
Food Depot Gourmet Deli/Food Fair Deli & Pizza: Place you can stock up on snacks/water. Maybe get a breakfast sandwich to go.
If you were a fan of the McDonald’s on 10th, I’m afraid it’s gone the way of the Dodo.
I’ve developed the appropriately named D.A.R.Y.L. system to help you get through the con.
D – Deodorize. Follow good hygiene protocol.
A – Always be charging. Bring a portable battery charger.
R – Reconnaissance. Plan ahead what you want to do. Know what booths and panels you want to go to.
Y – Yogurt. Bring some snacks. It’ll tide you over until you get something more substantial.
L – Luggage. Bring a backpack to store schwag and all your purchases. If you're buying art, maybe bring a poster tube or something flat to store it.
It never happens… but there’s a NYC meet-up on 9/24!