• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYCC 2016 |OT| We really are the Walking Dead (con)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
t1GjMbr.png

It’s that time again! The last big con of the year and a reminder that the new season of The Walking Dead is upon us.

Previously on NYCC...
If anyone wants to relive last year’s con, just blast this and check out these galleries:
http://www.dtjaaaam.com/New-York-Comic-Con-2015/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gluetree/collections/72157659673158266/
(If anyone else has photos, let me know!)

ZykokTj.png

• Fan verification!
    Did it do anything to keep the scalpers at bay? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • NYCC Presents:
    RIP New York Super Week. Long live NYCC Presents. They’ve done away with the useless Super Week Card but kept all the events leading up to the con. Events range from live podcasts, burlesque, concerts, and panels.
  • Funko Lottery:
    To manage expectations and overcrowding, the Funko booth is holding a lottery for purchasing exclusives. Deadline is 9/26. For details and to sign up, click here.
  • BookCon @ NYC:
    BookCon, the yearly literary convention, piggybacks off of BookExpo America, which took place in Chicago earlier this year. For anyone who missed out you’ll be glad to hear that ReedPOP is bringing a piece of the con off-site. It’ll be at the Hudson Mercantile and it’s hosting its own panels and signings.
  • They've updated their weapons policy.
  • On 10/5 there’s a red carpet event called “Heroes After Dark” that’ll open the con. Tickets were $400.
  • It’s Stan Lee’s last appearance at NYCC. ‘Nuff said!
  • Follow @NYCCLines for line updates.
  • The Empire Stage is gone. 1E is now the Experimental Zone with a lot of VR stuff.

kjH4jUC.png

The official site is garbage. Why did they add a faux loading screening? I don’t know. Here’s a bunch of links for reference:

Maps: Javits Overview | Show Floor | Artist Alley | Area Map

Exhibitors: Exhibitor List (including Artist Alley) | Exclusives
As a reminder, you’ll need to enter the Funko lottery if you’re hoping to buy stuff at their booth.

Notable Exclusives:

Panels: View All | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday
The Main Hall is still being cleared out after every panel, but they're now using your RFID badge to reserve space. Details here.
Other Venues:
The Hammerstein Ballroom | Map
Madison Square Garden | Map

Here's a list of all the panels, courtesy of The Beat.
Variety has posted a list of all the television panels and screenings.

Panel Highlights:

Off-site Event Highlights:

Artist Alley: Artist Alley List | Artist Gallery
Having difficulty thinking of subject for a commission or sketch from an artist? Maybe do a search on Comic Art Fans to get an idea. It helped me while I was signing up for pre-show commissions.

Autographs and Photo Ops: View All | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday | Photo Ops
You can enter for a chance to have a private autograph session. Lottery ends 9/27.

HHq7QxV.png

Nobody blames you for grabbing that terrible Korean hot dog from the back of the Javits because you had to run to a panel. Next time find something else…
Food Trucks: They’ll be around and the quality is better than what’s inside, BUT they do have to negotiate their pricing with the Javits so it might be pricier than you’re accustomed to.
Old Country Coffee: Ended up eating a bruschetta sandwich from here while I was around for Star Trek: Mission New York and it was really, really good. If you’re coming in, maybe avoid the large Starbucks line and stop by here.
Gotham West Market: A lot of different venues. Good food.
Daisy May’s BBQ: A bit of a trek but it’s good BBQ... just don’t get the brisket.
Skylight Diner: Decent diner.
Pio Pio: Good Peruvian food.
Food Depot Gourmet Deli/Food Fair Deli & Pizza: Place you can stock up on snacks/water. Maybe get a breakfast sandwich to go.
If you were a fan of the McDonald’s on 10th, I’m afraid it’s gone the way of the Dodo.

zWKck0o.png

I’ve developed the appropriately named D.A.R.Y.L. system to help you get through the con.
D – Deodorize. Follow good hygiene protocol.
A – Always be charging. Bring a portable battery charger.
R – Reconnaissance. Plan ahead what you want to do. Know what booths and panels you want to go to.
Y – Yogurt. Bring some snacks. It’ll tide you over until you get something more substantial.
L – Luggage. Bring a backpack to store schwag and all your purchases. If you're buying art, maybe bring a poster tube or something flat to store it.

cBnSl8z.png

It never happens… but there’s a NYC meet-up on 9/24!

Pau

Got m Thursay and Friday tickets! Unfortunately the panel I want to see (Avatar) is on Saturday but oh well. I mostly go for the Artist Alley. And of course, for cosplay. I'll be going as Scarlet Witch in her classic costume.

Got two weeks to make the cape and helmet!

Messi

First ever con! Flying from Ireland to go. Already spent way too much money on pre con commissions lol. Stjepan Sejic is there!

Messi

How early should I Q up for some panels like maybe...Adam West, Stranger things or Archer. Not even going to bother trying for Iron Fist

fallengorn

Short notice, but there's a Defender Beer Pint Night tonight at Pony Bar:
http://brooklynbrewery.com/events/2016/9/21/defender-pint-night-at-pony-bar-nyc

Also, there's a trivia night at At the Wallace:
http://brooklynbrewery.com/events/2016/9/21/defender-trivia-night-at-at-the-wallace-nyc

How early should I Q up for some panels like maybe...Adam West, Stranger things or Archer. Not even going to bother trying for Iron Fist

Like maybe an hour beforehand. Just remember that the queue process for the Main Stage is different from everything else. I'd read up on it if you're unfamiliar: http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Events/Main-Stage-Clearing/

The gist of it is you'll want to line up when you come in the morning. And then, if you REALLY want good seats, you'll want to queue up early before the panel. But at least, when you queue up the second time, you're guaranteed a seat.

Jhoan

Short notice, but there's a Defender Beer Pint Night tonight at Pony Bar:
http://brooklynbrewery.com/events/2016/9/21/defender-pint-night-at-pony-bar-nyc

Also, there's a trivia night at At the Wallace:
http://brooklynbrewery.com/events/2016/9/21/defender-trivia-night-at-at-the-wallace-nyc

Like maybe an hour beforehand. Just remember that the queue process for the Main Stage is different from everything else. I'd read up on it if you're unfamiliar: http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Events/Main-Stage-Clearing/

The gist of it is you'll want to line up when you come in the morning. And then, if you REALLY want good seats, you'll want to queue up early before the panel. But at least, when you queue up the second time, you're guaranteed a seat.
Welp, I wasn't planning on going out today but this is only a 25 minute subway ride for me so I'm damn near tempted to go check it out if only to get that free beer glass. Not a fan of IPAs though so decisions, decisions and Pony Bar gets pretty damn crowded during happy hour.

Fantastic job on the OP! It's simple, to the point, and includes a TWD reference yet again because everyone sure can't get enough of TWD. *rolls eyes* I love the Jurassic World theme since it got drilled into everyone's subconscious by the time the weekend was said and done.

Bonus points for including the upcoming which is this weekend at...Brooklyn Brewery fitting enough in case you guys can't get enough of it. :D I'll be giving away some free stuff to be announced in the meet up thread since I volunteer at a ton of events and get free stuff that I like to share with others. So yeah, please do come out this weekend and join us.

That being said, I still haven't gotten my schedule for this despite schedules being rolled out this past weekend. Hopefully in the next day or two I should I know. This will be my sixth consecutive year at this rodeo.

One other thing I will add is that the 1E Empire Stage was nixed this year in favor of the aforementioned Hudson Mercantile venue where BookCon panels are being held.

Hero

Is there anything really cool/awesome to do after the convention hours? I mean, I know we're in NYC and all, just figured I'd ask.

fallengorn

Is there anything really cool/awesome to do after the convention hours? I mean, I know we're in NYC and all, just figured I'd ask.

There's usually a bunch of after-con parties around.

Image Comics is holding two, one on Thursday and one on Friday.
https://imagecomics.com/features/image-comics-is-coming-to-new-york-comic-con

I'll separate weird events and panel highlights in the OP and update accordingly.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the Adult Swim cruise. that's at night.

ironmang

Going Fri, Sat, and Sun this year. Not sure about commissions since I'm not seeing many artists I'd want one from and the ones I do are pretty expensive. Sucks we opted not to get Thursday tickets since I missed the impractical jokers panel last year and now it's on Thursday. Still planning on hitting the Stranger Things, Venture Bros, and Iron Fist panels. Possibly the Jon Bernthal one on Sunday too.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Having stuff at Madison Square Garden seems really really inconvenient.

For anyone who has done the cruise in the past, how was it? Food and drink situation? Every year, the idea of it possibly being awful and being stuck there for three hours scares me from going.

Jhoan

Going Fri, Sat, and Sun this year. Not sure about commissions since I'm not seeing many artists I'd want one from and the ones I do are pretty expensive. Sucks we opted not to get Thursday tickets since I missed the impractical jokers panel last year and now it's on Thursday. Still planning on hitting the Stranger Things, Venture Bros, and Iron Fist panels. Possibly the Jon Bernthal one on Sunday too.

Man I got so many questions for the Impractical Jokers panel last year that it wasn't even funny. Funny enough, Thursday passes still have not sold out last time I checked but people don't seem to be interested in Thursday. Pretty sure it'll be sold out be the end of this month.

It seems like Main Stage panels are going to be underwhelming this year what with Hammerstein and MSG taking the more interesting panels this year.

^^Personally, I usually avoid going to the after parties because I'm almost always working during that time or hanging out with friends. I imagine that food and drinks are probably slightly overpriced but the swag is probably worth it. For people who can't/weren't able to get tickets, going to the after parties is the way to go to get a "taste" of NYCC while avoiding getting the con flu.

ironmang

Man I got so many questions for the Impractical Jokers panel last year that it wasn't even funny. Funny enough, Thursday passes still have not sold out last time I checked but people don't seem to be interested in Thursday. Pretty sure it'll be sold out be the end of this month.

It seems like Main Stage panels are going to be underwhelming this year what with Hammerstein and MSG taking the more interesting panels this year.

^^Personally, I usually avoid going to the after parties because I'm almost always working during that time or hanging out with friends. I imagine that food and drinks are probably slightly overpriced but the swag is probably worth it. For people who can't/weren't able to get tickets, going to the after parties is the way to go to get a "taste" of NYCC while avoiding getting the con flu.

I remember it being right before the SF5 panel last year and the line was pretty much capped well over an hour before the jokers panel. I would have gone Thursday if my friends were able to go but they can't get there until that evening.

I agree about the panels too. I guess it accommodates more people but it makes the panels at the actual convention center feel a bit wizard worldish.

MG310

Are they not using that 2nd giant panel hall this year? The one all the way on the left end of the building. They have it listed as 1-E Experimental Zone on the map.

Could usually get in for whatever was happening there even on the busiest days. The Justice League panel last year was great.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

I usually only go to the events where food/drinks are free because they're less likely to be lame if they're being bankrolled by a company. Although one year Buzzfeed threw a party with free open bar and it was a really awkward-hipstery affair.

Penguin

Went to the Defender event... wasn't much of an event, but got my glass so I'll take it

And GAWD DAMNIT at them changing the rules for the Main Hall again

Guess so people can't sell those wrist things

fallengorn

Wasn't there a BBC showcase at MSG? Wonder why it's not on the site.

Anyhoo, I don't see many people are going to be squatting at MSG. You're basically just sitting in on two panels for nearly the entire day.

I wonder if Lego is bringing any exclusives
They haven't been selling anything the last two years, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

toneroni

Sweet, can't wait. Have a 4 day pass and probably checking out each day.
Not really sure what panels/events to go to yet though.
Was considering the Stan lee picture thing but decided it wasn't worth it.

Jhoan

Sweet, can't wait. Have a 4 day pass and probably checking out each day.
Not really sure what panels/events to go to yet though.
Was considering the Stan lee picture thing but decided it wasn't worth it.

Anything at the Hammerstein is going to be pretty popular as will be the Iron Fist panel. Personally, I would have loved to attend The Robert Kirkman panel on Thursday discussing what's next for TWD comics since the current arc is getting real good.

The Lionsgate panel at MSG is gonna be pretty damn big. I also anticipate seeing lots of oblivious fans coming into the Javits Center on Saturday thinking that TWD panel is the at the Main Stage only to realize they're in the wrong venue. I would also recommend attending the art auction at 1-A18 that starts at 6:30pm on Saturday if you pass on the Iron Fist panel.

Going by my previous years in the Autographing area, I think Stan Lee's line is either going to have its own separate queuing system and/or heavy security managing his line so I can see why you would pass on it. That's going to have a massive turnout all weekend long as will Jon Bernthal.

^^^Ah yes, those things.I can see people going crazy for Steven Universe, the Power Puff Girls, and One Punch Man English dub cast. Last year it was Robot Chicken, the cast of Gotham, and From Dusk Until Dawn. I still have the prints signed from the cast of the latter show.

MG310

Theater at MSG won't be cleared in-between panels

Which I imagine is probably mostly for logistics of being in the middle of the city

http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Events/The-Theater-at-Madison-Square-Garden/#

Going to be an angry mob of people who didn't go to the John Wick/Power Rangers thing but wanted to see Walking Dead.

I would also recommend attending the art auction at 1-A18 that starts at 6:30pm on Saturday if you pass on the Iron Fist panel.

I recommend this..my favorite part of the show.

fallengorn

I keep missing out on the art auction, but I definitely want to do it one of these days. Guess I've got a good alternative if I can't get into Iron Fist.

What's the average winning bid like? I already have five pre-show commissions going on. This con already took a bite out of my wallet.

Funko announced Wave 5, which I think that's it. They've announced everything. Updated the OP.

MG310

I keep missing out on the art auction, but I definitely want to do it one of these days. Guess I've got a good alternative if I can't get into Iron Fist.

What's the average winning bid like? I already have five pre-show commissions going on. This con already took a bite out of my wallet.

Funko announced Wave 5, which I think that's it. They've announced everything. Updated the OP.

There's a wide range...especially since there's such a large number of items usually. I've gotten great stuff for pretty low prices. A good amount go between 75-400 or so. The big names get the high prices - 3,000 or so for a Walt Simonson, $9-10,000 for Adam Hughes.

There's always more than what's listed on the website too as things keep getting donated through the course of the show.

Jhoan

Had Brooklyn Defender beer this past weekend. It was all right. Not a fan of IPAs so I could do without it. I liked Brooklyn Brewery's wheat beer and sour beer a lot more.

By the way, Stan Lee is going to be there on Thursday as well thus extending it to all weekend long. I think this is because it's one last hurrah to try to sell out Thursday passes and thus the show itself.

I got my schedule and will be working at the Autographing area in the afternoon all weekend long. I know the area like the back of my hand at this point with it being my area of expertise so I'm looking forward to wrangling Stan Lee's lines. Unfortunately this means that I'm more than likely going to miss the auction yet again.:(

Zombine

Banned
I'll be there Friday-Sunday. Got most of my commissions pre-booked.

Looking forward to drinking with GAF people.

Jhoan

Having food and drinks taken away is incredibly lame.

Hammerstein and MSG are pretty strict about that stuff since there's money to be made in the (overpriced) concessions stands from their POV. It's easier to smuggle in smaller snacks in the pockets. A trade-off for having panels off-site at bigger venues for sure though.

It's crazy there's exactly a week to go. I'll never forget my first con day experience of being surrounded by fans while doling out swag bags inside the swag bins back in 2011 as the show floor opened. Hands would reach out and grab anything including the gum that was included that fell out. It was like being in a zombie apocalypse! I found it quite jarring.

Zombine said:
I'll be there Friday-Sunday. Got most of my commissions pre-booked.

Looking forward to drinking with GAF people.
Respect for being able to afford commissions. At best, I can buy a creator owned comic/graphic and have it signed by the artist/writer or both. Glad I bought a copy of Blacksad and had Guarnido sign it two years ago. He even did a Blacksad sketch. Great guy for sure and very humble.

I''ll look out for you if it's not super crazy as I'm sure it will be come Friday.

Fliesen

yo. What do i need to bring for picking up will call tickets?

i only got the purchase confirmation mailed to me by ReedPop.
I'll bring my photo ID, a printout of my ShowClix member ID and my credit card.

A friend of mine's arriving in NYC one day earlier and is going to pick up his badge on thursday already - but he won't have my credit card. You guys think this might be an issue? He's a verified / assigned ticket holder, though. (i believe so, at least, since there's no official confirmation of assignment, really, apart from the confirmation via the support team, whom i contacted via emaiL)

"Good morning,

Thank you for contacting us. Yes, I see all three of your tickets have been correctly assigned. There’s nothing else you need to do at this time. Your tickets will be shipped in September.

All the best,"

Since it's international tickets, they weren't shipped, of course.

Gotta do some final touches on my cosplay this weekend. Sewing jumpsuit pant legs is a real pain in the butt.

Messi

yo. What do i need to bring for picking up will call tickets?

i only got the purchase confirmation mailed to me by ReedPop.
I'll bring my photo ID, a printout of my ShowClix member ID and my credit card.

A friend of mine's arriving in NYC one day earlier and is going to pick up his badge on thursday already - but he won't have my credit card. You guys think this might be an issue? He's a verified / assigned ticket holder, though. (i believe so, at least, since there's no official confirmation of assignment, really, apart from the confirmation via the support team, whom i contacted via emaiL)

Since it's international tickets, they weren't shipped, of course.

Gotta do some final touches on my cosplay this weekend. Sewing jumpsuit pant legs is a real pain in the butt.

I am in the same situation. I have no idea what to bring. The email with the QR image?

Zombine

Banned
Hammerstein and MSG are pretty strict about that stuff since there's money to be made in the (overpriced) concessions stands from their POV. It's easier to smuggle in smaller snacks in the pockets. A trade-off for having panels off-site at bigger venues for sure though.

It's crazy there's exactly a week to go. I'll never forget my first con day experience of being surrounded by fans while doling out swag bags inside the swag bins back in 2011 as the show floor opened. Hands would reach out and grab anything including the gum that was included that fell out. It was like being in a zombie apocalypse! I found it quite jarring.

Respect for being able to afford commissions. At best, I can buy a creator owned comic/graphic and have it signed by the artist/writer or both. Glad I bought a copy of Blacksad and had Guarnido sign it two years ago. He even did a Blacksad sketch. Great guy for sure and very humble.

I''ll look out for you if it's not super crazy as I'm sure it will be come Friday.

Guarnido blew me off and kinda soured me on him a bit...left me totally devastated.

But word I'll be around just chillin doing my thing. It get crowded but it's not too hard to meet up and hang.

Renkax

Very excited for this NYCC last year I only went for Saturday and I learned that you can't really take all of the convention on one day lol. Also cause I only purposely went for Capcom and to play SFV LOL but now I don't know what to do when I'm there! Any recommendations?:)

fallengorn

So this is interesting... they're having a giveaway to attend a panel for War of the Planet of the Apes. And as far as I know, this is the only way to see it.

You can enter here. Deadline is 10/3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom