• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYCC: Grim Fandango on PS4 is Pretty Much the Best Thing Ever

prwxv3

You have the ability to toggle back and forth between how the game originally looked, and how it looks now, and holy moly the difference is night and day. Thanks to the new lighting, shaders, and other technical enhancements that flew way over my head, Manny and company now look incredible. Their in-game models appear to be nearly identical to their cut-scene counterparts, which is great. The game is still presented in 4:3, but you have the ability to stretch it to widescreen (for the love of everything good, please don't do this). The borders are black right now, but I was told that the developers are toying with some ideas for what could stand on the two sides of the screen.

Gone are the tank controls, aka the bane of existence. Now you can navigate the Day of the Dead-themed world as you would any other modern 3D game. This makes puzzle solving and exploration even more enjoyable than it was before.

The final big change I stumbled across was the awesome inclusion of nodes scattered throughout the world that contain small snippets of commentary from Tim Schafer, Peter Chan, Peter McConnell, and a ton of other folks who helped make the game so special back in 1998. The handful of ones I listened to provided interesting and hilarious insight into the original development of the game, the work done on the Remaster, and everything else that’s happened over the past 15 years. I adore the commentary in Portal, and I'd be willing to bet I'm going to love it here just as much

Source

Improvements sound great.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Ohhhh man...playing the waiting game sucks.

HLf7L14.gif

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The game is still presented in 4:3, but you have the ability to stretch it to widescreen (for the love of everything good, please don't do this). The borders are black right now, but I was told that the developers are toying with some ideas for what could stand on the two sides of the screen.

Please don't fill in the pillar boxes with pictures. Leave them black or have a toggle.

Tagyhag

Do want, don't know if I'll get it for PC or Vita.

4:3 obviously makes sense for the game's pre-rendered backgrounds, and the borders being black while also having the option for different images seems like the best choice.

vypek

Never played the original but by how much people are raving about it, it seems like I should pay some attention to it and check it out

Aces&Eights

Yes! I never got to play this but watched a friend who had a PC back then play it and I fell in love with the world. This is a must buy.

Ps. I'm on mobile and I went to the source link and each time I clicked on one of the videos it played the ad (of course) then nothing. No game footage. Wth?

Tizoc

Do want, don't know if I'll get it for PC or Vita.

4:3 obviously makes sense for the game's pre-rendered backgrounds, and the borders being black while also having the option for different images seems like the best choice.

I'm getting on BOTH.
Thing is if there's Vita retail...do I go for that or go digital for crossbuy?

Carl

Never played it before but everyone raves about it and it sounds awesome so i'm definitely going to have to give it a try when it comes out.

VinFTW

PC version, in mah blood!

Can't wait.

Also, why is there no mention of IGN in any of the OP or links? Too scared to admit a good story from IGN?! :p

Bebpo

Banned
Kind of random but I always wondered why Dreamworks or the Coraline group didn't pick up the rights to Grim Fandango for a CG PG-13ish film. Would work really well as a film imo and there's a ton of nostalgia in the industry for this game.

oxacillin

Banned
Grim is one of the best adventure games period and I'm glad to see it getting the love it deserves.

On the other had I have to wonder if Disney is making sure Double Fine sticks to dates and stays in budget. Lord knows they need someone to watch them on that.

I will triple dip this game. Have the original big box and the release jewel case versions. Adventure GOAT for me.

Can't wait and the improvements sound awesome.

Here's a link to the OST for anyone that is interested.

BiggNife

Where and when was this Sony event? I was at NYCC all day today and i didn't see any Sony games.

Yeah, I'm confused. Was this all behind closed doors? I did google research and the only evidence I see of Playstation at NYCC is their Powers panel.

SerTapTap

Sounds fantastic. Thought it'd just be a straight port (would have been okay with that too). Definitely picking up on PS4 to support Sony for picking 'em up.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is one of those games that I've always wanted to play but never got the chance to. Really excited about this release.

Elios83

I love this game so much that I plan to buy both the PS4 and Vita versions :D
But no new screens or footage? :/ Last time we saw it they had the original PC version running on PS4.
It's interesting they're doing something to add some kind of 16:9 support.
Imo they should take a look at the solution that Capcom is using for Biohazard Rebirth on PS4/XB1.

On Demand

Banned
Yeah, I'm confused. Was this all behind closed doors? I did google research and the only evidence I see of Playstation at NYCC is their Powers panel.

Must of been i guess. I'm looking at the events schedule from the CC book and Sony is not listed there.

ReaperXL7

Where and when was this Sony event? I was at NYCC all day today and i didn't see any Sony games.

Not sure but they were definitely there I'm some capacity as IGN has been posting a f're videos. They posted a Morpheus video on YouTube but mistakenly it links to a Tetris discussion so I'm waiting for them to fix that one.

Shin-Ra

They should port Full Throttle across and make it easily available for Mac/PC too, it doesn't really need remastering at all, even the "FMV" looks really clean. Just needs options for stick/SIXAXIS/touchpad/Move pointer controls.

They should port Full Throttle across and make it easily available for Mac/PC too, it doesn't really need remastering at all, even the "FMV" looks really clean. Just needs options for stick/SIXAXIS/touchpad/Move pointer controls.

Tweet it to Sony, Double Fine would need a publisher.

Top Bottom