• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nyko Portable Dock and Boost Pak for Nintendo Switch Now Available

Docking Kit: $49.99
Battery Boost Pak: $29.99

Press Release:
SAN FRANCISCO - Oct. 11, 2017 - Inventive console accessories manufacturer Nyko today launched Portable Docking Kit and Boost Pak, two new products for the Nintendo Switch™. The highly anticipated Portable Docking Kit lets gamers connect their Nintendo Switch to any HDMI TV with ease while on-the-go. The kit comes with a Type-C AC adapter and HDMI cable, and the dock features three USB ports. The dockable Boost Pak extends gameplay by after the Switch’s internal battery runs out. Portable Docking Kit is now available at Walmart, GameStop, and Nyko.com for an MRSP of $49.99, while Boost Pak is available at Walmart and Nyko.com for an MSRP of $29.99.

“With Portable Docking Kit, we’ve created an affordable, compact docking solution that suits the on-the-go design of the Switch,” said Chris Arbogast, Nyko’s VP of Sales and Marketing. “Now, gamers can easily charge their Switch and enable TV mode no matter where they are.”

Portable Docking Kit key features
Includes an HDMI cable for connecting to any TV
Compact, portable design
Enables TV mode on the Nintendo Switch
Powered by a Type-C AC adapter (included)
Features two USB 2.0 ports and one USB 3.0 port

Boost Pak key features
Enables up to 50% of additional playtime after the internal battery runs out
Easily recharges through a Type-C cable or the dock
Dockable - players can keep Boost Pak attached while the console is docked

Boost Pak:
9M1d43B.jpg
ayENzXA.jpg
42vZW2V.jpg

Dock:

More images here: https://imgur.com/a/nvJfz#42vZW2V
Video of Dock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4k83KCDtC0
Video of Boost Pak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEuzdsCJLYE

Note: They don't recommend using the boost pak with their portable dock - only with the official one.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
I've had that portable dock on my radar a while now.

But their website says "out of stock" -- is it actually available now? Or later this month?

On amazon, they list end of the month (but you can preorder)

OCD Guy

I’m tempted by that dock too, will be great to charge the Switch. I don’t actually play on a tv but I’d like a charging dock as opposed to what I do now which is lay the switch on it’s back, on a desk with the charging cable connected.

I reckon I’ll sell my unused dock to fund it.

The dock looks great, but I'm curious how it will hold up under stress. Like, how easy is it to knock over accidentally with a wire? Will the Switch fall out if that happens?

Definitely a good looking product though.

Since I'll need a second dock for my fiancées place, I'm definitely picking one of those up. So much better than the official one!

I'm in for the dock. I've generally wanted one that I can either take with me more easily, or just to have for another room in the house. Looks perfect for what I want to use it for.

jacobeid

Banned
If user impressions about the dock are positive then I'm going to get one and use that in lieu of the one from Nintendo.

BiggNife

Really curious to see how the portable dock turns out. If it gets good reviews I could see myself getting one for trips. As it is, the regular dock is a little too unwieldy to bring back and forth to places.

And while I don't think that battery back is necessary, I will say being able to charge it via the dock is a really nice design choice.

killroy87

I'm getting the dock just because it's nicer and is more attractive lol. Makes the original look like a clunky piece of trash

That dock is much more appealing than what Nintendo came up with.

I actually prefer the screen not being exposed and think Nintendo’s kit looks slicker next to a TV. But screen scratching and price are big problems, so hopefully they’ll iterate down the road. I’m glad there are more dock options out in the market now, though.

Zutrax

Really cool! But I won't be buying this until it's tested in every capacity. I don't want another situation like the Gamecube HDMI adapter on my hands where a third party overlooked something and it bricks the system. Or it might cause input lag or some sort of video degredation, no way to tell right off the bat.

I'll definitely get one once it's been put through the rounds of general customer testing.

man how does Nyko make a better dock than Nintendo. Still would prefer a little USB hub type thing since I could use less plastic shit on my desk and it has no innards anyway.

Really cool! But I won't be buying this until it's tested in every capacity. I don't want another situation like the Gamecube HDMI adapter on my hands where a third party overlooked something and it bricks the system. Or it might cause input lag or some sort of video degredation, no way to tell right off the bat.

I'll definitely get one once it's been put through the rounds of general customer testing.
Same here.

Dock is perfect.
I use my official dock in my office since it doesn't fit great in our main TV cabinet. Putting it in one of the lower shelves means it's not easy to slide in and out of, and putting it on top just leaves a tall black chunk of plastic visible at all times.
This one is low profile enough that it won't look bad near the TV, and you don't need to slide it in so I'll be able to place it on one of the lower shelves if I need too.

The battery... I don't think will work for me. Switch is already pretty heavy, so having yet another weight attached would mean I wont WANT to play it longer because my hands will get tired.

Smart advice for devices and software in general. Never pre-order and always wait for a large amount of reviews to see if any common issues pop-up.

Kiro

Wait. The metal USB C prong permanently sticks out of the dock? How is that a good thing for portability?

Bladelaw

Can the dock be used as a stand? The kick stand on the Switch isn't great and this would be a little more convenient for rooftop parties* since it looks a bit more stable.

* bringing over to friends houses

Wait. The metal USB C prong permanently sticks out of the dock? How is that a good thing for portability?

I was wondering about that and it looks like thats the case... weird they didn't figure out a way to rotate it into the housing.

Hopefully they include a cover. If not I'll expect to see some 3D printed fixes for that within a few hours

-shadow-

Looks a lot better designed, but a hell of a lot cheaper unfortunately. Might get it though just for traveling sake.

So this is out now? Amazon lists it as October 31

I was just going by the press release.

Oct. 11, 2017 - Inventive console accessories manufacturer Nyko today launched Portable Docking Kit and Boost Pak, two new products for the Nintendo Switch™. The highly anticipated Portable Docking Kit lets gamers connect their Nintendo Switch to any HDMI TV with ease while on-the-go. The kit comes with a Type-C AC adapter and HDMI cable, and the dock features three USB ports. The dockable Boost Pak extends gameplay by after the Switch’s internal battery runs out. Portable Docking Kit is now available at Walmart, GameStop, and Nyko.com for an MRSP of $49.99, while Boost Pak is available at Walmart and Nyko.com for an MSRP of $29.99.

Someone should see if they can find one at GameStop

I actually prefer the screen not being exposed and think Nintendo's kit looks slicker next to a TV. But screen scratching and price are big problems, so hopefully they'll iterate down the road. I'm glad there are more dock options out in the market now, though.

Nintendo's is needlessly bulky in my opinion, which is the opposite of what I look for in a docking device.

OryoN

Neat. Would probably consider if I have a vacation planned and wish to travel as lightly as possible with my Switch. I wouldn't use it for my normal setup, as I prefer the added protection of the official dock. Don't like the idea of my Switch's screen exposed like that, when docked.

Top Bottom