• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nyquil gives up, makes ZzzQuil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If its cheaper than normal Nyquil I could see this selling well.

How much cheaper? Nyquil is good to have around for when you are actually sick and then sometimes you use it when you can't sleep. Couldn't see myself buying this just as a sleep aid as that can be a bad habit.

DiscoJer

Now they need to start making Vicks flavored spreadable er, spread. (Whatever you call things like peanut butter and that nutella stuff)

Xzeon

Banned
You use prescription cough syrup for purple drank, not this stuff.

Well.... I guess if you dont have any you could use this.

I thought that purple drink was probably the cause for this product being made... unless there really is a huge percentage of people who drink Nyquil to sleep all the time.

How much cheaper? Nyquil is good to have around for when you are actually sick and then sometimes you use it when you can't sleep. Couldn't see myself buying this just as a sleep aid as that can be a bad habit.

I guess you would use it if you really REALLY needed to sleep cuz this shit knocks you out.

And I guess maybe some people dont wanna waste actual cough medicine just to sleep...

I dunno, thats why I thought purple drink was the reason for this even being made lol.

So they just re-marketed Benadryl then?

I think you can build up a tolerance to the part of Benadryl that makes you sleepy.

I thought I saw this at walgreens, but I thought I was just going crazy.

Whats Walgreens? You mean FlorYellows? I love that store...

this thread title is hilarious

yay!

Now they need to start making Vicks flavored spreadable er, spread. (Whatever you call things like peanut butter and that nutella stuff)

Id try it... why not.

Kwixotik

Man, the shit in that is DPH. All that will do as far as "getting you fucked up" is make you have paranoid delusions and dysphoria. The over-the-counter cough syrup people take recreationally contains dextromethorphan, which is kind of a complicated drug, but is usually taken at a dose that feels like a mixture of drunk and high. The cough syrup you're thinking of that's used in purple drink is codeine (an opiate), usually with promethazine (which potentiates codeine but isn't recreational by itself).

Not all cough syrup is made the same.

Edit: and yeah, Zzzquil has the same active ingredient as benadryl

Xzeon

Banned
i'm moving slow cause zzzquil syrup in my lemonade

Sounds like a great birthday party.

I used to love to eat the stuff (Vicks) as a kid.

Then again, I also liked milkbone dog biscuits...

This guy is awesome.

Man, the shit in that is DPH. All that will do as far as "getting you fucked up" is make you have paranoid delusions and dysphoria. The over-the-counter cough syrup people take recreationally contains dextromethorphan, which is kind of a complicated drug, but is usually taken at a dose that feels like a mixture of drunk and high. The cough syrup you're thinking of that's used in purple drink is codeine (an opiate), usually with promethazine (which potentiates codeine but isn't recreational by itself).

Not all cough syrup is made the same.

TIL about cough syrup.

I really need to be more paranoid though... Ill pick up a case of Mtn Dew Voltage to go with the Warming Berry flavor of ZzzQuil.

Gonna get my paranoia on WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Amir0x

Banned
It's just Diphenhydramine. Why would I risk that nasty taste just for Diphenhydramine? Just go pill form in that case. Pfft.

Xzeon

Banned
For real, Benadryl does work in that I stop sneezing, but then I'm a zombie for a few hours.

I wonder if the sleepy part of the medicine is crucial for the allergen relief part to work. Seems odd.

Surprised NyQuil is giving a fuck about people
abusing it. Revenue is revenue and it's people's problem if they abuse it or not.

I dont know if thats the REAL reason they made it, just assumptions on my part.

Also high five for NIN fans.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PQSEEG/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I think they figured out most people just abuse Nyquil to get drunk/fucked up or to go to sleep, so they made Nyquil with no cold curing medicine in it and gave it the dumbest name ever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_drank
All the rappers and club goers in the world rejoice!

You know i got so used to using NyQuil as a sleep aid that i actually forget its a cough syrup.
Mind reopened.

I guess if people just want the sleep aid part of NyQuil this saves Vicks some money as they dont have to put the cough mixtures in the bottle.
But im sure people will just keep buy NyQuil cuz they are used to it.

Nizz

I used to love to eat the stuff (Vicks) as a kid.

Then again, I also liked milkbone dog biscuits...

23fbb3aa55a96bb7898da5baf7937e5d4f9d5674.gif

I'd be up to try this Zzzquil, I often have a hard time getting to sleep.

sangreal

oops, didnt follow thread

this medicine doesnt have anything to do with nyquil though, its just a benadryl knockoff

I.. am confused why this is shocking, or why the thread went the way it did.

Is GAF completely unaware of the market for sleep aids that aren't actually cough/cold/allergy medicine?

Somehow it's a big deal that Vicks decided to market a Nyquil without the cold med version?

This has.. literally nothing to do with "purple drank" either.

Missing Person

Neo Member

Not for me, mine is usually sinus congestion, and Nyquil just makes it worse if I can't sleep.

I'd buy this stuff, no questions asked.

bengraven

Nyquil and Benadryl are used more often as sleep-aids in my house. This could be useful.

Same. My wife was taking Tylenol with sleed aid, but now she just buys generic extra strength sleep aid without the Tylenol. This will be right up her alley.

Best part: she hates taking Nyquil because the "drugged" feeling it gives her. No more syzurup for her.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This "new" product is just liquid diphenydramine, but Benadryl liquid (usually a generic for adults, I don't think Benadryl itself has a liquid formulation labeled for adults) is diphenhydramine in liquid form already. It's often sold generically as liquid or capsule based allergy medication containing diphenhydramine." This is not a new product. It's just repackaging something you could already get.

Bonus: I just asked my pharmacist wife why Benadryl makes you tired:

"Diphenhydramine is lipophilic so it can cross the blood brain barrier, and then when it enters your brain it antoganizes the H1 receptor in your brain which leads to drowsiness. It helps with allergies because histamine is an inflammatory mediator that causes the symptoms of allergies, benadryl acts by antagonazing the H1 histamine receptor in the body." She said a lot of other shit I didn't understand too. Something about how you want it to work in the capillaries, but it crosses the blood-brain barrier too much and causes drowsiness. She says loratadine shouldn't make you drowsy, but fexofenadine is another alternative. She seems to have some kind inexplicable hatred for fexofenadine and doesn't think it works as well.

Don't ask my wife anything pharmacy related unless you want an unintelligible science answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom