NYT backs itself into a corner as it welcomes newest member of the New York Time's editoral board

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/new-york-times-newest-editorial-member-is-unfit-to-work-for-the-times-according-to-the-times

Sarah Jeong, the latest addition to the New York Times’ editorial board, has some strong opinions about white people.

She said later in November of that year, “Dumbass fucking white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pissing on fire hydrants.”

“Are white people genetically predisposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like groveling goblins,” she tweeted on Dec. 23, 2014.

“White people! You were already running a karmic deficit but now we're sending it to collections,” she said on Nov. 9, 2016, as election results started to show Donald Trump would win the election.

There’s a lot more where this comes from. So much so, in fact, that it gives the distinct impression that her "white people" routine is a bit of an obsession, as opposed to a simple running gag.

On Wednesday, the Times announced in a blog post that it had just added Jeong to its editorial board.

The interesting thing here isn’t Jeong’s social media history. Everyone has stupid old tweets, most of which are just inside jokes with friends. That someone on the Internet has written dumb things isn't exactly a stop-the-presses moment.

The really interesting thing here is that the Times has put itself in a corner. Remember: The paper set the bar for how it handles new hires with bad tweets.

In Feb. 2018, the Times “parted ways” with Quinn Norton, who it had just hired as its editorial board’s lead opinion writer on technology, following the discovery of problematic tweets, including one where she said something nice about a bad person.

Norton tweeted on Oct. 28, 2017, in reference to neo-Nazi Andrew Auernheimer (aka “weev”), “Weev is a terrible person, & an old friend of mine. I've been very clear on this. Some of my friend are terrible people, & also my friends.”

Online sleuths also uncovered old tweets wherein Norton used racial and gay slurs. The Times’ response was to can her immediately.

“Despite our review of Quinn Norton’s work and our conversations with her previous employers, this was new information to us. Based on it, we’ve decided to go our separate ways,” Times editorial page editor James Bennet said.

The question now is: Will the Times take similar action against Jeong?

The paper may not want to "part ways" with its new hire, but a failure to do so will render its earlier explanation for taking action against Norton look deeply disingenuous.

Jeong can defend herself by claiming she was just kidding, and that her old tweets are a permissible form of comedy because it’s punching up (white people, privilege, etc., etc.). Fine. Whatever. The Times, on the other hand, can't reasonably ignore the standard it set for itself with Norton by downplaying or forgiving Jeong’s long-running “white people” gripe. That is, the Times will only crown itself in shame if it takes the route arguing that some bad tweets are better than others.

The Times did not respond to the Washington Examiner’s request for comment.

**Mod Edit**
edited statement to remove mentions of another site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enosh

Jun 12, 2009
Slovenia
she's not saying anything that most of the left isn't thinking, I doubt the NYT would fire her over this

Banned
Sep 1, 2015
Yeah, this is pretty fucking dumb. I don't know what in the hell the NYT was thinking.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
She isn't saying anything the far left doesn't already believe.

Suprised NYT wouldn't bother to do any research on this woman Twitter history

PkunkFury

Jun 17, 2004
USA
yeah, this is way worse than Gunn, especially since she spelled Twitter wrong in her username

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Nov 30, 2004
If you change the subject from white to black,hispanic,asian, etc and it stops being fun and games and becomes racist. Then guess what, IT'S RACIST!

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
Let me guess what her fist editorial is on ,how much she hates white people.
What a farce the NYT has become.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I fully support it when the crusty, elitist Coastal media outlets are hiring -- accidentally or not -- the little baby vipers that their ideology bred.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Jun 15, 2013
These kind of tweets should make somebody as unhireabke as somebody having a face tattoo.

It isn’t a good look to hire blatant racists.

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Jun 6, 2004
New York
What corner did they back themselves into?
The comparison to Norton is unfounded. The only thing they have in common is that they both Tweeted.

I wouldn't hire Norton based off her tweets, and I'd have no issue hiring this girl based on her tweets.

Now, the Times might remove her based on their own standards, but they're under no obligation to do so just because they removed Norton

Solomeena

Jan 8, 2018
Fuck the New York Times. They are literally defending her being a racist on their communications twitter, WTF?

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
What corner did they back themselves into?
The comparison to Norton is unfounded. The only thing they have in common is that they both Tweeted.

I wouldn't hire Norton based off her tweets, and I'd have no issue hiring this girl based on her tweets.

Now, the Times might remove her based on their own standards, but they're under no obligation to do so just because they removed Norton
Yeah because they are hypocrities.

I'm not expecting her to be fired. This is going to a boon for her career. She is hateful to the right people, so it will be seen as a virtue, not a vice.

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
Yeah because they are hypocrities.

I'm not expecting her to be fired. This is going to a boon for her career. She is hateful to the right people, so it will be seen as a virtue, not a vice.
It's not hypocritical.
Like you said, this girl assigns her hate to the right people.
Someone who hates rapists is not the same as someone who hates babies.
Nuance is not something that the Right has learned to grasp yet.

Enosh

Jun 12, 2009
Slovenia
Fuck the New York Times. They are literally defending her being a racist on their communications twitter, WTF?
again it's nothing surprising if you finally accept that the left wing media doesn't just disagree with white people, they hate them
always remember Sam Hydes immortal words
"these people want you broke, dead, your children brainwashed and raped and they think it's funny"

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
It's not hypocritical.
So are you saying it’s OK to hate white pople just because they are born that way?

DeepEnigma

Dec 3, 2013
It's not hypocritical.
What the fuck am I reading?

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
It's not hypocritical.
This is rich coming from the side that is constantly complaining that people unfairly distrust the media.

If Sarah is hating the "right" people, because she is a "racist in the right way" than that is just further proof that the left has no credibility.

DeepEnigma

Dec 3, 2013
It's not hypocritical.
"Racism is okay as long as you're the left and you 'nuance' it." That woman clearly wasn't using nuance, you damned racist.

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
So are you saying it’s OK to hate white pople just because they are born that way?
We're not all born as inconsiderate assholes.
Im sure that HR can figure out if she hates all white people, or just those of us who deserve it.
Norton was fired for who she affiliated with, in conjunction with what she said.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Dec 11, 2004
This crazy bitch needs to stop lying ... she loved every minute of Breaking Bad (except for maybe The Fly).

DeepEnigma

Dec 3, 2013
Im sure that HR can figure out if she hates all white people, or just those of us who deserve it.
Norton was fired for who she affiliated with, in conjunction with what she said.
TIL: There is an acceptable form of racism, for those who "deserve it".

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Right, because she left so much room for interpretation and nunace in her tweets comparing all white people to dogs.

So progressive, so forward thinking

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
"Racism is okay as long as you're the left and you 'nuance' it." That woman clearly wasn't using nuance, you damned racist.
I'm white.
I hate idiotic, inconsiderate, racist pricks. As far as I know, that's not a race. Even though the vast majority of people that fall into the group happen to be white.

DeepEnigma

Dec 3, 2013
I'm white.
I hate idiotic, inconsiderate, racist pricks. As far as I know, that's not a race. Even though the vast majority of people that fall into the group happen to be white.
I do not care what the fuck you identify as. You are promoting racism, end of.

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
Love how freedom of speech goes out the window when somebody says something bad about white
snowflake babies.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
When you use the word white people or whatever race you want that’s a pretty large brush that covers everyone that is that race.
She is a inconsiderate racist asshole.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Dec 3, 2013
Love how freedom of speech goes out the window when somebody says something bad about white
snowflake babies.
I do not read anywhere where people are denying you your freedom of speech, but rather, we are giving you shit back. ;)

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
Na.
Just like when people say libs, or Republicans, or most any other group, it doesn't have to apply to everyone in that group

It's Twitter, there's no room to specify, and it would be a waste of time to do so.

HR will have seen her tweets, and discussed her feelings. HR is Human Resources, for those of you who are too young, or unable to work.

Geki-D

Dec 6, 2017
Why do asians dislike white people so much in the US? They're a ridiculously small minority but they're also the most well paid and successful. Also from what I hear the Asian community in the US isn't exactly the most friendly to the black community generally. I can get black people having a chip on their shoulder against white people, but asians? Get outta here.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Dec 15, 2006
What in the what happened in here. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
snowflake babies.
Wow, you're grasping for straws now.

"Won't something think of the new York times editorial boards freedom of speech. "

To bad your side is trying to ban straws

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
I do not read anywhere where people are denying you your freedom of speech, but rather, we are giving you shit back. ;)
We're aware of what you're doing.
If worked on James Gunn, and it might work a few more times, but people are already are becoming aware.

Funny thing is, the James Gunn thing effects everyone equally. He was doing a great job with the series, now we're likely to get a worse GOTG 3, while Gunn will be able to go as ND make any other movie he likes.

DeepEnigma

Dec 3, 2013
If worked on James Gunn, and it might work a few more times, but people are already are becoming aware.

Funny thing is, the James Gunn thing effects everyone equally. He was doing a great job with the series, now we're likely to get a worse GOTG 3, while Gunn will be able to go as ND make any other movie he likes.
Oh yeah, do tell me what I am doing?

You are all over the place, lol.

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
Na.
Just like when people say libs, or Republicans, or most any other group, it doesn't have to apply to everyone in that group

It's Twitter, there's no room to specify, and it would be a waste of time to do so.

HR will have seen her tweets, and discussed her feelings. HR is Human Resources, for those of you who are too young, or unable to work.
Yea because her tweet of “white people have stopped breeding . You’ll all go extinct soon.This was my plan all along .” doesn’t cover everyone of that race right?:rolleyes:

lil puff

Dec 1, 2017
Why do asians dislike white people so much in the US? They're a ridiculously small minority but they're also the most well paid and successful. Also from what I hear the Asian community in the US isn't exactly the most friendly to the black community generally. I can get black people having a chip on their shoulder against white people, but asians? Get outta here.
Generalize much?

Solomeena

Jan 8, 2018

She has been openly racist towards white people, it is cut and dry. Stop referencing Gunn when this has nothing to do with him.

MC Safety

Jun 9, 2004
snowflake babies.
If you're referring to the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, that applies to government restriction of free speech. You're allowed to say what you want, although that right is not absolute.

The debate now is how much impact a person's statements on social media should be used against them. Because, again, you're free to speak, but not without consequences. In these days of heightened sensitivity, we're seeing a lot of people's statements used as a weapon against them -- including in terms of their employment.

Normally I stay clear of stuff like this because I think Twitter is a dumping ground for people's worst, most impulsive thoughts, but I've got to say this woman's statements are pretty gross.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

:ROFLMAO: you're still crying over a childrens movie

iconmasterX

Jan 27, 2018
She claims she wrote those tweets as ridiculous couter-examples of the kinds of abuse being directed against her. And although I'm lacking the context, I can see how that might have happened.

But it does feel like this kind of understanding is being extended very selectively.