• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

NYT backs itself into a corner as it welcomes newest member of the New York Time's editoral board

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
the second one is this

anti white places like NYT, CNN, MSNBC etc etc aren't just okay with the racist rhetoric, they expect to see it if you want to work for them, my first post saying that she probably got the job because of those tweets was a joke but seems I wasn't far off with it
encouraging/requiring young writers to build their “personal brands” with voicy and brash tweets
Sorry, journos, but my skincolor is not your career move. Stop appropriating my melanin for the sake of your "personal brand".

Would be perfectly normal thing to demand if I had any skincolor but white.

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009
I weep for the fox news shill. Not.

Manufactured insolence.

Last edited:

ssolitare

Jan 12, 2009
Why are you Republicans laughing at your own setups?

Last edited:

ssolitare

Jan 12, 2009
Why is it whenever someone laughs at the far left lunacy, they are labeled a Republican?

Do better.
Where are the leftists? There are two republicans on Fox news, and then one of them makes commentary about his own skit/setup. Apparently it's all a joke for the right wing to laugh at.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Where are the leftists? There are two republicans on Fox news, and then one of them makes commentary about his own skit/setup. Apparently it's all a joke for the right wing to laugh at.
I think it is a joke for everyone with common sense that does not buy into the far left racism wordplay. But pick yo team playa!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I’m not any “wing” or any other label you can come up with. I’m not American either. Yet, I laugh.

I laugh at stupid, hypocritical idiots which just so happens to be the “extremist left-wing” at the moment. Since we’re doing labels.

ssolitare

Jan 12, 2009
I think it is a joke for everyone with common sense that does not buy into the far left racism wordplay. But pick yo team playa!
I’m not any “wing” or any other label you can come up with. I’m not American either. Yet, I laugh.

I laugh at stupid, hypocritical idiots which just so happens to be the “extremist left-wing” at the moment. Since we’re doing labels.
I'm trying to find value, but there is none. So I'm gonna roll with trolling.

mr2xxx

Mar 12, 2011
Conservatives: Sarah Jeong should be de-platformed cuz she's racist!
Also Conservatives: But not Alex Jones cause his racism is different!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Pointing out hypocrisy isn't the same as saying "I support this one but not the other".

But you already know that. You're just shitposting.

Weiji

Jul 20, 2018
Your comparing a major media outlet hiring an open and consistent racist with generic access to social media platforms.

You know how many people want Sarah Jeong removed from twitter? No one, they are highlighting twitters hypocrisy.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Who in here is a republican?
Whenever I play Rome: total war I select the Romans

The roman republic will CONQUER ALL WHO STANDS BEFORE CEASAR.

Oh and uh not sucks, Sarah jeung is an ass, and ssoligars, stop crying like a baby

Last edited:

ssolitare

Jan 12, 2009
"Everyone I don't like is a Nazi alt-right Republican"

I think many of us here aren't even American :LOL:

What a dope.
If you were american you'd fit in at one place, and not the other. Economics doesn't save you.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
One person runs his own business as Youtuber etc and one person has a job a JOURNALIST for the New York Times. Dont you think there is a little difference here? If JEong wants to build up her own Youtube Channel where she is hating on white people she can do so. But not at the New York Times as Journalist.

mr2xxx

Mar 12, 2011
One person runs his own business as Youtuber etc and one person has a job a JOURNALIST for the New York Times. Dont you think there is a little difference here? If JEong wants to build up her own Youtube Channel where she is hating on white people she can do so. But not at the New York Times as Journalist.
Not really, both people represent the company that hosts them in some way. If I feel that their presence would hurt my company I should have the right to fire them. I live in California which is a at-will state which means an employee can be fired for any reason so you can see why I don't particular care for either because they both have done enough to lose their job/youtube access. I'm down for giving workers more rights but this is not the administration that would do it.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
Not really, both people represent the company that hosts them in some way. If I feel that their presence would hurt my company I should have the right to fire them. I live in California which is a at-will state which means an employee can be fired for any reason so you can see why I don't particular care for either because they both have done enough to lose their job/youtube access. I'm down for giving workers more rights but this is not the administration that would do it.
youtube yeah sure. As for Facebook no. Facebook is more than just a Company. Face influences our daily life it reflects the people views. It is to ban them from public places. Same goes for twitter. We should very careful who we ban here imo. Threats of violence and criminal activity yes sure different opinions no. At least that’s my view on social media. If they ban people like him they should also ban people Ike Sarah Jeong

And to clarify I think both should not be banned from social media but if you ban one of them both should go. At least stay consistent

Last edited:

mr2xxx

Mar 12, 2011
youtube yeah sure. As for Facebook no. Facebook is more than just a Company. Face influences our daily life it reflects the people views. It is to ban them from public places. Same goes for twitter. We should very careful who we ban here imo. Threats of violence and criminal activity yes sure different opinions no. At least that’s my view on social media. If they ban people like him they should also ban people Ike Sarah Jeong
We don’t even have net neutrality anymore, if that’s not considered important enough what makes anyone think we will regulate these platforms on the internet. Because net neutrality can cause much more damage than any social media platform.

You feel certain people should be banned and just like this incident you will have people complain that “it’s not a threat of violence, I was trolling”” I wasn’t using it for a crime cuz of x and y” same situation we are in right now. Because once you start banning everyone will be looking at it from a microscope like we are doing currently.

ruvikx

Jan 12, 2018
Why are you so obsessed with what the so-called "left" does and doesn't say? I don't find what you said as ironic at all. And who really says that Italian and Greek folks aren't white? I mean in many cases the family name is even pronounced differently to display the assimilation that they have gone through.
The left is losing support from white people, that's a fact. It seems utterly absurd to constantly sh*t on an entire race (in this light their support for open borders mass immigration can be seen as a policy to destroy entire white communities) & then expect to win an election with those same people voting for their candidate. Trump won in 2016 (ditto Brexit happened, the AfD is rising in Germany, nationalism in Italy is on the up & the FN scored 11 million votes in France) because one single race here has been targeted for hate by the left wing elites & their lackeys.

When liberals in positions of influence & power constantly make excuses for hateful little cretins such as Sarah Jeong, 'Trumpism' will keep on coming back, again, again & again - in many western nations. It's a bit of a farce really because a crushing majority of white people didn't suddenly wake-up on morning & think "hmm, I support the entire GOP agenda!". No, they're voting Trump by default, i.e. because the left hates their guts. Politics is now shit & the whole spectrum stinks because the left has cr*pped in the proverbial bed once too often by making this a 'race cold war'. That's why I 'care' what the left says & does because for many years now I (as a white man) have been on their shit list - overtly - simply because of my skin color.

Sarah Jeong's support from her superiors & liberal elites is evidence of this reality.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
We don’t even have net neutrality anymore, if that’s not considered important enough what makes anyone think we will regulate these platforms on the internet. Because net neutrality can cause much more damage than any social media platform.

You feel certain people should be banned and just like this incident you will have people complain that “it’s not a threat of violence, I was trolling”” I wasn’t using it for a crime cuz of x and y” same situation we are in right now. Because once you start banning everyone will be looking at it from a microscope like we are doing currently.
I mostly argue that if you want to ban people be consistent. For example if Sarah Jeong posts thousands of racists tweets against white people and people then switch the white in black to show how racists these are and they get banned then it is double standard I will never accept.

I would not ban anyone for this but if you as company do this you need to do this on a consistent level. Even reporting Sarah Jeongs Account did nothing even through Twitter admits that they violate their TOS. You can not ban people because they disagree with your political point of view. For this Twitter and Facebook have way too much influence on our society. That is also a reason why Twitter and co are either banned in Countries like China or Turkey or heavily censored. Social media has a HUGE power we should not underestimate

mckmas8808

May 24, 2005
The left is losing support from white people, that's a fact. It seems utterly absurd to constantly sh*t on an entire race (in this light their support for open borders mass immigration can be seen as a policy to destroy entire white communities) & then expect to win an election with those same people voting for their candidate. Trump won in 2016 (ditto Brexit happened, the AfD is rising in Germany, nationalism in Italy is on the up & the FN scored 11 million votes in France) because one single race here has been targeted for hate by the left wing elites & their lackeys.

When liberals in positions of influence & power constantly make excuses for hateful little cretins such as Sarah Jeong, 'Trumpism' will keep on coming back, again, again & again - in many western nations. It's a bit of a farce really because a crushing majority of white people didn't suddenly wake-up on morning & think "hmm, I support the entire GOP agenda!". No, they're voting Trump by default, i.e. because the left hates their guts. Politics is now shit & the whole spectrum stinks because the left has cr*pped in the proverbial bed once too often by making this a 'race cold war'. That's why I 'care' what the left says & does because for many years now I (as a white man) have been on their shit list - overtly - simply because of my skin color.

Sarah Jeong's support from her superiors & liberal elites is evidence of this reality.
And this is the problem that this country has and always had. Anytime any set of policies help People of Color, many white people view it as an attack on them personally. They see it as a zero-sum game. Anything you give to POCs, you must take from white folk. You've 100% demonstrated the cultural war that's been happening in this country since the 1850s. Over time the battles change slightly but the culture war continues.

This country will NOT accept the betterment of POC and women without men and white folks fighting back and trying to maintain as much power as possible! It is what it is, I guess. :-/

And the sad part is you seem to think this just started a few years ago lol. Read up on our nation's history. The 'Race Cold War' (as you put it), didn't start this decade. We are at a minimum 165 years deep in this thing!

bigedole

Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
And this is the problem that this country has and always had. Anytime any set of policies help People of Color, many white people view it as an attack on them personally. They see it as a zero-sum game. Anything you give to POCs, you must take from white folk. You've 100% demonstrated the cultural war that's been happening in this country since the 1850s. Over time the battles change slightly but the culture war continues.

This country will NOT accept the betterment of POC and women without men and white folks fighting back and trying to maintain as much power as possible! It is what it is, I guess. :-/

And the sad part is you seem to think this just started a few years ago lol. Read up on our nation's history. The 'Race Cold War' (as you put it), didn't start this decade. We are at a minimum 165 years deep in this thing!
Nothing you bolded has anything to do with a perception of taking things away from white people? I think most white people just don't want POCs to have carte blanche to espouse clearly racist ideas and policies?

mckmas8808

May 24, 2005
Nothing you bolded has anything to do with a perception of taking things away from white people? I think most white people just don't want POCs to have carte blanche to espouse clearly racist ideas and policies?
So what does this (in this light their support for open borders mass immigration can be seen as a policy to destroy entire white communities) mean?

And what does this ( Trump won in 2016 (ditto Brexit happened, the AfD is rising in Germany, nationalism in Italy is on the up & the FN scored 11 million votes in France) because one single race here has been targeted for hate by the left wing elites & their lackeys.) mean?

NickFire

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2014

One thing I hope for is that someday people will stop attributing the sins of 1875 to the motives of people in 2018. I certainly do not want to criticize someone for worrying that the same old cycle is repeating itself (who wouldn't they worry when they can hear their own elderly relatives talk about the 50's, etc.), and I have no doubt there remains pockets of bad eggs that think the same today as they would have in 1875. But the assumption that the left's loss of support from white people stems from racism, is by and large just wrong and the product of people whose living it is to push such a narrative for clicks and ratings. It's a massive hoodwinking to deflect from the left's failure to focus on what the majority of its base cares about. What's really driving the bus are things like:

1) the loss of manufacturing jobs - one guy says let's try bringing them back. The other party says get over it, its better for you this way, and you just need retraining for jobs that don't exist. This has nothing to do with racism and is a big issue for people. Even me personally, while I am not in manufacturing, I know people who are that I care for, and I firmly believe that manufacturing is the foundation of the economy and ability for the country to defend itself should something catastrophic break out. I also am sick of buying shitty products that in my heart I worry were made by young children in sweat shops. These people are not racist for taking the best option known to them, and probably were the basis for the electoral college ending up the way it did. But the MSM narrative was people just don't like women presidents, are racist, were tricked by Russians, etc., etc.

2) The constant attacks on white men by the MSM / propaganda arm for the DNC. They salivate for chances to run white men's name under the bus for clicks, and then run, if anything, hard to find follow-ups when the allegations are disproven (when they actually are). Even the owner of this site was run through the mud based on what, a deleted facebook comment with no supporting evidence? This is not to say that they won't run a woman or person of color under the bus for clicks. It's just pointing out what is obvious to countless white men and their wives, daughters, mother's, etc. Shit, they'll even invent new terms to vilanize white men when their narratives blow up in their face. Remember Zimmerman? First person I ever heard referred to as White Hispanic - that was not a coincidence. That was to continue a narrative of a white guy murdering a black child after they started reporting it that way before learning the whole truth. Again, I am not trying to say white guys have it worse than black men. Just pointing out that when a party basically says you are not welcome here, the listeners take notice regardless of skin color.

3) Illegal immigration. Try telling an unskilled laborer that illegal immigration does not hold their wages down. They will assume you are straight from the crazy house because that is exactly why businesses love illegal immigrants. And anyone can be worried about terrorists sneaking in without a racist bone in their body (border enforcement), because its logical and common sense. And when the right says we will give legal status to millions in exchange for what we worry about, the left just says meh. Very frustrating to see easily resolved issues go unresolved for political capital, and issues that helped swing an election be ignored by the losing party. Doesn't matter if the other side did it too. If someone punches a person, said person is not likely to say oh well, someone else punched them before.

4) None racial social issues. Its not just white people. Plenty of people are sick of the slippery slope and want off the ride, many of whom would be fine just not being labeled a bigot for not buying in 100%. These issues have nothing to do with race, and wouldn't even be issues if the left made clear that they have no tolerance for branding people bigots just because they disagree. But because the DNC loves grassroots and activist money, and the MSM loves their clicks, they don't, and at best make occasional lip service to welcoming everyone and disagreeing with purity tests. So where is someone to turn if they support gay marriage / adoption / and a prohibition on discriminating against the trans community, but feel like they'd be lying if they say a man who says he's a woman is really a woman? They certainly cannot express that to the far left, who is given all the screen time. Not unless they want a twitter mob calling them a bigot of course. And what about women who support the left's agenda but detest abortion? Even they are ostracized these days. These issues have become all or nothing it seems, and people don't like being threatened or attacked just for expressing disagreement.

5) Foreign affairs. People are sick of reading about how much tax money is sent overseas to countries that often seem to hate us or are taking us for a ride. And they are sick of things not actually changing. So of course those people will latch onto anyone who actually promises a change, even if it seems unrealistic. When faced with two options, shoot for the moon or nothing, shoot for the moon will win all the time. Nothing to do with racism.

6) Taxes - wanting to pay less taxes does not make someone racist. One party says time to pay less. The other says NO, you should pay the same because someone else is getting a bigger break than you. The choice to many is clear there, and has nothing to do with race.

Long story short, the majority of people abandoning the left are not doing so because the left wants to prop someone up. They are doing so because the left has taken positions that are against their best interests. The sooner people realize that from the center left, the sooner the center right and center left can work on transforming a party to focus on their combined interests, or just start a new one.

mckmas8808

May 24, 2005
Long story short, the majority of people abandoning the left are not doing so because the left wants to prop someone up. They are doing so because the left has taken positions that are against their best interests. The sooner people realize that from the center left, the sooner the center right and center left can work on transforming a party to focus on their combined interests, or just start a new one.
I don't care about the politics of all of this. Seriously. Keep in mind you are saying all of this a few years removed from America having a 2 term DEM president where a couple years the DEMs held both sides of Congress too. We aren't that removed from all of that.

And stop saying people are going all the way back to 1875. This just happened a few years ago.

Wells Fargo Shows Exactly How Structural Racism Works

Wells Fargo has always denied that it engages in racial discrimination. But in 2012, staring down the barrel of a lawsuit by the state of Illinois and a U.S. Department of Justice investigation, it agreed to a settlement in which it paid more than $175 million. According to a Department of Justice statement, “Wells Fargo was aware the fees and interest rates it was charging discriminated against African-American and Hispanic borrowers, but the actions it took were insufficient and ineffective in stopping it.”​
In Cook County, Illinois, between 2004 and 2007, Wells Fargo originated more than 61,000 mortgage loans, more than 25,000 of which were made to minorities, or some 41 percent. Of the 61,000 total loans, at least 10,000 were high-cost loans, of which more than 6,500—or 65 percent—were made to minorities. (Cook County includes Chicago.) Wells Fargo’s record was even worse at the national level, according to a judge in a case involving the company, who noted that it gave three times more subprime loans to African-Americans than “similarly situated white borrowers” from 2004 to 2008.
But there are costs that will never be quantified or recovered in court. As the attorney general of Illinois, Lisa Madigan, said in 2012, “there’s an entire generation of wealth in minority communities that’s been taken away.” The impact of foreclosed homes isn’t limited to the former homeowners. The effects multiply and spread out, depressing property values in entire communities, which make them less attractive to homebuyers, which hurts the quality of schools and other public institutions, which depresses home values further and destroys local economies—in a reinforcing cycle of dysfunction.​
http://inthesetimes.com/article/19488/wells-fargo-shows-exactly-how-structural-racism-works

This, my friend, happened within the last decade. This isn't just a few "bad apples". This is structural racism. It's okay to admit that it exist. No victim card here bro. Just facts.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I don't care about the politics of all of this. Seriously. Keep in mind you are saying all of this a few years removed from America having a 2 term DEM president where a couple years the DEMs held both sides of Congress too. We aren't that removed from all of that.

And stop saying people are going all the way back to 1875. This just happened a few years ago.

Wells Fargo Shows Exactly How Structural Racism Works

Wells Fargo has always denied that it engages in racial discrimination. But in 2012, staring down the barrel of a lawsuit by the state of Illinois and a U.S. Department of Justice investigation, it agreed to a settlement in which it paid more than $175 million. According to a Department of Justice statement, “Wells Fargo was aware the fees and interest rates it was charging discriminated against African-American and Hispanic borrowers, but the actions it took were insufficient and ineffective in stopping it.”​
In Cook County, Illinois, between 2004 and 2007, Wells Fargo originated more than 61,000 mortgage loans, more than 25,000 of which were made to minorities, or some 41 percent. Of the 61,000 total loans, at least 10,000 were high-cost loans, of which more than 6,500—or 65 percent—were made to minorities. (Cook County includes Chicago.) Wells Fargo’s record was even worse at the national level, according to a judge in a case involving the company, who noted that it gave three times more subprime loans to African-Americans than “similarly situated white borrowers” from 2004 to 2008.
But there are costs that will never be quantified or recovered in court. As the attorney general of Illinois, Lisa Madigan, said in 2012, “there’s an entire generation of wealth in minority communities that’s been taken away.” The impact of foreclosed homes isn’t limited to the former homeowners. The effects multiply and spread out, depressing property values in entire communities, which make them less attractive to homebuyers, which hurts the quality of schools and other public institutions, which depresses home values further and destroys local economies—in a reinforcing cycle of dysfunction.​
http://inthesetimes.com/article/19488/wells-fargo-shows-exactly-how-structural-racism-works

This, my friend, happened within the last decade. This isn't just a few "bad apples". This is structural racism. It's okay to admit that it exist. No victim card here bro. Just facts.
This is excellent content. Thank you for thinking it through and posting it.

I want to point out that sometimes the hesitation (and resistance) isn't because white people feel like a black person "getting ahead" will subtract from them. And it isn't necessarily because white people deny that racist things are occurring in society.

When these issues are presented as "here is the example of racist behavior from an organization, and here is how it was corrected", you'll rarely hear a peep from "white people". Believe me, many white people have been trained from birth to walk on eggshells regarding racial issues and most don't raise a cry when something good happens to minorities. We have no reason to die on an obviously-right hill just for the sake of "defending our whiteness" or however else it might be termed.

The disconnect is when we are told "Because of white privilege, such-and-such is what needs to happen next", using a vague social-structuring approach that doesn't really mesh with most people's (Left or Right) view of reality. It's guilting, nothing more. If there is a specific problem that needs to be corrected, fine. But it alarms me when people are trying to justify their righteous ideas merely on the notion that white privilege exists and therefore it needs to be proactively corrected, unfair as it might seem to the people getting hurt by the "correction".

I live in Michigan, home to arguably one of the strongest minority middle-classes of the 70s and 80s. When our communities bottomed out from manufacturing leaving the state, everyone got injured regardless of skincolor. To go from upper-middle-class without needing a college education, watching your parents retire comfortably, and then to be utterly trashed by that same industry is a demoralizing thing. So when people from these sort of areas get told they have "privilege", it can bristle them the wrong way. We have racism -- anywhere different people interact it will be found there -- but many of us also have a deeper understanding of our economic situation. Skincolor matters less than economic status here.

I do not deny that in the "rust belt" there are racist folks who proudly fly their flag of ignorance, but many of them do not vote anyway. It was always disingenuous to politically lump all "white people" including the working-class white people in with the "racist rednecks" (as it were). People who lost their jobs -- people across a broad ethnic and cultural spectrum -- were getting told it was their fault by a certain party while also being told they were racists. You can imagine how "white people" felt about that.

Lister

Nov 10, 2015
Aren't the people claiming she is racist, deliberately cherry-picking single tweets completely out of context?

I've seen 4 examples so far, ALL of which are very obvious satirical counter-arguments pointing out the very obvious racism displayed by the other party.

After reading them I agree with this panel:

Geki-D

Dec 6, 2017
Aren't the people claiming she is racist, deliberately cherry-picking single tweets completely out of context?

I've seen 4 examples so far, ALL of which are very obvious satirical counter-arguments pointing out the very obvious racism displayed by the other party.

That context might work but from what we know the tweets exist in a vacuum. She just posted them out as they are without them being replies or following any known events. It's hard to assume what the context is when she makes no effort to contextualize herself. But saying something racist, then hiding behind satire is a bit too easy and unless you know something we don't (and I assume you don't, you're just going with your gut), I don't see why we should give her the amount of benefit of the doubt you're giving her.

monegames

Sep 26, 2014

Do you have any examples of the context of her tweets? People usually do present at least a couple to provide context, but I don't believe she or The NYT did present any.

Lister

Nov 10, 2015
Example from where the panel I posted comes:

Back in 2014, Sullivan was still defending his role in having made the case for blacks having lower IQ than whites. Responding to criticism, he defended himself by saying he believed "anything can be examined and debated," so "I responded to the race and IQ controversy exactly as I would any other: put it all on the table and let the facts and arguments take us where they may."

Sarah Jeong tweeted back*:
G O T T A H E A R B O T H S i d e s

-Andrew Sullivan

Then:
Are white people genetically predisposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like groveling goblins

Then:
let's hear both sides

But Sullivan frames this as:

Or you could describe an entire race as subhuman: “Are white people genetically disposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like groveling goblins.”

I agree with the poster I took this from: The guy is literally accusing her of racism based on her parody of his race/IQ defense. I mean, lol.

If anyone has example that aren't this obviously cherry-picked, then I'll pay attention. Otherwise, meh.

highrider

Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
Fuck her man. The majority of the world has very few whytpepo, I’m so tired of these people that think they can just shit on a group of people that are a majority. It would be like going to China and being like man, these fucking Chinese people are the worst!

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018
Her tweets would only be satire if she was mocking the far left or the academic left. I believe her claim was completely otherwise.