• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

NYT backs itself into a corner as it welcomes newest member of the New York Time's editoral board

danielberg

Neophyte
Jun 20, 2018
Aren't the people claiming she is racist, deliberately cherry-picking single tweets completely out of context?

I've seen 4 examples so far, ALL of which are very obvious satirical counter-arguments pointing out the very obvious racism displayed by the other party.
Not really considering that all examples of tweets she used to defend herself have a timestamp after her racist behavior started so they are merely the response to her behaviour and not the other way around as she is selling it to the media.
I mean its not even a excuse at this point anymore and really just a tool she threw out in the public so leftists like you have a narrative and can jump to her defense. Its pretty blatant too considering her racist behavior goes back several YEARS lol

Last edited:

Lister

Nov 10, 2015
Not really considering that all examples of tweets she used to defend herself have a timestamp after her racist behavior started so they are merely the response to her behaviour and not the other way around as she is selling it to the media.
I mean its not even a excuse at this point anymore and really just a tool she threw out in the public so leftists like you have a narrative and can jump to her defense. Its pretty blatant too considering her racist behavior goes back several YEARS lol
Then it should eb easy for you to provide an example?

Again, I've only seen examples like the one I posted. I haven't seen a counter one yet - besides the cherry-picked tweets taken completely out of context and passed off as racist comments.

NickFire

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2014
I don't care about the politics of all of this. Seriously. Keep in mind you are saying all of this a few years removed from America having a 2 term DEM president where a couple years the DEMs held both sides of Congress too. We aren't that removed from all of that.

And stop saying people are going all the way back to 1875. This just happened a few years ago.

Wells Fargo Shows Exactly How Structural Racism Works

Wells Fargo has always denied that it engages in racial discrimination. But in 2012, staring down the barrel of a lawsuit by the state of Illinois and a U.S. Department of Justice investigation, it agreed to a settlement in which it paid more than $175 million. According to a Department of Justice statement, “Wells Fargo was aware the fees and interest rates it was charging discriminated against African-American and Hispanic borrowers, but the actions it took were insufficient and ineffective in stopping it.”​
In Cook County, Illinois, between 2004 and 2007, Wells Fargo originated more than 61,000 mortgage loans, more than 25,000 of which were made to minorities, or some 41 percent. Of the 61,000 total loans, at least 10,000 were high-cost loans, of which more than 6,500—or 65 percent—were made to minorities. (Cook County includes Chicago.) Wells Fargo’s record was even worse at the national level, according to a judge in a case involving the company, who noted that it gave three times more subprime loans to African-Americans than “similarly situated white borrowers” from 2004 to 2008.
But there are costs that will never be quantified or recovered in court. As the attorney general of Illinois, Lisa Madigan, said in 2012, “there’s an entire generation of wealth in minority communities that’s been taken away.” The impact of foreclosed homes isn’t limited to the former homeowners. The effects multiply and spread out, depressing property values in entire communities, which make them less attractive to homebuyers, which hurts the quality of schools and other public institutions, which depresses home values further and destroys local economies—in a reinforcing cycle of dysfunction.​
http://inthesetimes.com/article/19488/wells-fargo-shows-exactly-how-structural-racism-works

This, my friend, happened within the last decade. This isn't just a few "bad apples". This is structural racism. It's okay to admit that it exist. No victim card here bro. Just facts.
I can accept that racism continues today. If I had to guess though, I would guess that the people actually calling the shots with respect to Well Fargo's policies on who to screw over, are rather few in number and live extremely wealthy lives completely detached from those who have begun shunning the DNC in recent years. But regardless, I was not and am not asking you to agree there is no racism out there. All I am asking is to open your mind to the concept that most of the white people shunning the DNC are doing so for reasons entirely unrelated to race. It was Obama who Trump followed, but it was not Obama who Trump defeated to actually get elected. The DNC and media friends want people to believe they never screwed up and what happened was the same people who elected Obama twice went back to being racist recently, but it is not reality. Obama himself has been more vocal lately about the need to start listening to the people who stopped voting Blue instead of labeling them. That's because he cares about the country, as opposed to getting re-elected and /or more clicks to their website.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Mar 30, 2012
Australia
www.neogaf.com

Again, I've only seen examples like the one I posted. I haven't seen a counter one yet - besides the cherry-picked tweets taken completely out of context and passed off as racist comments.
There are literally hundreds of tweets

A rather...."intrepid" amateur investigator on Twitter dared to fully "explore" Ms. Jeong's voluminous tweets in the past 5 years, with results that go deeper into the rabbit hole than expected:

Lister

Nov 10, 2015
There are literally hundreds of tweets
The very first “example” that guy puts up in that twitter thread is exactly the quote from my post above. Sorry if I don’t take his examples at face value. Nor am I interested in looking at the context of thousands of tweets. Can you provide one example? That’s all I’m asking.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Mar 30, 2012
Australia
www.neogaf.com
The very first “example” that guy puts up in that twitter thread is exactly the quote from my post above. Sorry if I don’t take his examples at face value. Nor am I interested in looking at the context of thousands of tweets. Can you provide one example? That’s all I’m asking.
I provided you hundreds of examples. The context of the vast majority of those tweets starts and ends with the tweet itself.

Lister

Nov 10, 2015
I provided you hundreds of examples. The context of the vast majority of those tweets starts and ends with the tweet itself.
Lol l the guy even posts tweets where the context has been embedded in an image from an article she is clearly satirizing, and still he claim s them as examples if her being racist. Fuck off. (Him not you).

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Going out of your way to ignore actual evidence, continuing to argue as though it doesn’t exist, and pretending there’s a context that there clearly isn’t just so you can continue to play your partisan games. Is this what we call “arguing in bad faith”?

danielberg

Neophyte
Jun 20, 2018

I dont need to she already did it for me thats my point dude.
Every single tweet she gave the media that attacked her has a timestamp after her racist behavior started which was years ago (fully committed to her art of satire i presume lel) so all her excuse of "i was just responding" is proven wrong by the tweets she herself choose to use for the excuse lol
This actually makes the nytimes look stupid too cause they apparently did no background checks on her claims and just took her word for everything.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
Aren't the people claiming she is racist, deliberately cherry-picking single tweets completely out of context?

I've seen 4 examples so far, ALL of which are very obvious satirical counter-arguments pointing out the very obvious racism displayed by the other party.

After reading them I agree with this panel:
People did the same thing with Patton Oswalt, taking his tweets way out of their original context to make it look like he was saying something racist about black people, while he was specifically mocking those who would think that way. But the thing is, there aren't 50+ examples of out of context tweets from Oswalt mocking black people.

If every one of those examples was actually a reply to a racist tweet, you might have an argument, but that's on Jeong and those defending her actions to prove. Not even the NYT made that argument, so I think it's more likely that you are the one cherry-picking, here. You're using an example of one of her most extreme tweets that was an actual reply, and you're waving away others as "very obvious satirical counter-arguments." I think this especially because if these were all direct responses to specific racist tweets, that would have been a much better explanation than the official comment that the NYT made.

If you can find a tweet she responded to that was the equivalent of "oh man it's kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old black women" and so on, you might have an argument. Until then, I get the feeling that your "very obvious satirical counter-arguments" defense would be an ideological one way street for you.

The following are comments from a you tube video concerning edited footage from the convenience store where Michael Brown was last seen alive.

White people are so demonic and blood thirsty in nature, they'll do anything to ensure the justification of killing us.

What do you expect from the devil race? They have been showing the world deviling for centuries. Thanks to heroin and their very low birth rate, we will be free of them in less than 10 years.

Devils commit the most suicides, have a low birth rate, dying out due to opioid deaths and kill each other. Devils are responsible for their own genocide. Keep up the great work. You are finally doing the world a huge favor.

Fuck the media, white people, and the arabs. It's time for war, it's time for us to create a country of our own and separate from America!

White people are hateful racist murderers. And karma is coming for them
The fact that these comments exist doesn't give anyone, regardless of skin color, an excuse to go on twitter and make "very obvious satirical counter-arguments." If you disagree with that, then I disagree with you. If you agree, then you should consider rethinking your defense of Jeong.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
Here's the thing as I see it:

I've seen enough petty activity on gaming communities where someone is fed up with the 'obvious trolling' and 'platform wars' and so sets about giving as good as they get.
Before long they are indistinguishable from the very thing they were campaigning against.
Claiming "I was pretending to be a troll to show those trolls what it's like" misses the point. If you're pretending to be a troll you are a troll.
Sadly, not only has this person become the target of their own campaign, they've done so under false pretenses and believe their actions are not subject to the same consequences that others' are. Chances are they've made things worse for the community at large too.
What ensues are arguments that split hairs and rely on semantics.

I feel a lot of that applies to this case.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Mar 23, 2007
Sydney Australia
i40.tinypic.com
The pot calling the kettle black. Perhaps its because I am more attracted to asian girls that I notice this, but Korean girls are literally the whitest people I have seen.

Geki-D

Dec 6, 2017
The pot calling the kettle black. Perhaps its because I am more attracted to asian girls that I notice this, but Korean girls are literally the whitest people I have seen.

My general view is that Koreans & the Japanese are generally quite pale, like northern Europe white. I'm pretty sure they also have an on-going notion that the whiter you are the prettier, so they actually use makeup to brighten their skin even more.

It may seem odd when they say "white" but white in these instances actually just means caucasian because obviously Asians tend to be "white" too. She isn't being a hypocrite, she's just using the colloquial term for Europeans.

Also, not sure about Japan, but I'm pretty sure South Korea is into that whole eye surgery stuff making girls look more western.

Last edited:

Banned
Sep 1, 2015
Why is this still a story? Who fucking cares? Don't read the NYT. Or read it, I don't care. There's so much bigger shit going on in the world.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Why is this still a story? Who fucking cares? Don't read the NYT. Or read it, I don't care. There's so much bigger shit going on in the world.
Because the NYT is one of the largest publications in the world and this is an extremely egregious example of their abandonment of moral integrity. This is an incredibly important event and needs to be discussed.

Banned
Sep 1, 2015
Because the NYT is one of the largest publications in the world and this is an extremely egregious example of their abandonment of moral integrity. This is an incredibly important event and needs to be discussed.
Wow, that sounds pretty serious.

bigedole

Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
You care enough to waste your time commenting on it. Most people involved in a discussion would prefer those who don't care about it don't post about it.

lachesis

Jun 17, 2004
Well, traditionally Korean standard of light/white skin being beauty is actually nothing about white race envy. It's the Yang-ban class, either male or female, not having to do the field work, so their skin was lighter than others. It was more of the sign of economic wealth. So people call lighter fair skinned person as "boo-tee-nan-da" (literally he/she looks rich). If you dig old literatures, their idea of beauty always included white skin.

But after getting their independence after ww2 - their standard of beauty started to get westernized. I think it's more of Eastern European type of svelte young beauty - who often gets the nickname of "elf-girls" - not the typical American white glamour or Latinas. But anyway, wanting to look like white westerners is more like a double enforcement - as far as the skin tone is concerned.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
It's pathetic. We know when she tweeted her messages, her defense falls apart by just reading her Twitter history.

Also lol at Lister bringing up Andrew Sullivan. This is the same bullshit Vox is trying to pull today. As if Sullivan tweets justify her hundreds of stupid tweets that go back years. Liberals are desperately looking for any defense for her poor actions, instead of just admitting she was wrong.

Last edited:

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
It's pathetic. We know when she tweeted her messages, her defense falls apart by just reading her Twitter history.

Also lol at Lister bringing up Andrew Sullivan. This is the same bullshit Vox is trying to pull today. As if Sullivan tweets justify her hundreds of stupid tweets that go back years. Liberals are desperately looking for any defense for her poor actions, instead of just admitting she was wrong.
Russia did it

mckmas8808

May 24, 2005

True. But what Andrew Sullivan said back then was terrible too. It doesn't make what this lady did right though. But boy oh boy Sullivan screwed up BIG TIME!

Geki-D

Dec 6, 2017
A long video that looks into this. More interesting is it goes deeper into other stuff outside of Twitter, and more of note the story of Naomi Wu, a Chinese tech innovator that Vice seriously screwed over and our girl Sarah here was a part of and perfectly ok with:
If you're pretty much fed up with the Twitter stuff, skip to 29:55 for the Naomi Wu stuff.

Last edited:

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Gosh she's pretty great. She's still developing a a public figure but before you know she will be a powerhouse
I like her assertiveness, bordering on brashness, although it occasionally bites her on the ass, like when she was trying to speak on climate change on Rogan’s podcast. She’s good on some things but needs to learn when to admit she’s wrong or doesn’t know something. She’s very young so hopefully it will come with maturity.

Cleared_Hot

Feb 25, 2018
A long video that looks into this. More interesting is it goes deeper into other stuff outside of Twitter, and more of note the story of Naomi Wu, a Chinese tech innovator that Vice seriously screwed over and our girl Sarah here was a part of and perfectly ok with:
If you're pretty much fed up with the Twitter stuff, skip to 29:55 for the Naomi Wu stuff.
Amazing. Holy crap dude. I need to follow more people on YouTube like this.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Vice, Vox, NowThis, NYT, etc., are all exploitive scum.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Welcome to another example of the left’s inconsistency on race. If the goal is a postracial America, why does racial identity continue to be liberalism’s overriding obsession? Why is racism viewed as something to redirect rather than end outright? If you’re situated on the progressive left, racist views are OK to harbor so long as they’re targeted at the right groups for the proper reasons?

mckmas8808

May 24, 2005
Most people that speak about racism aren't trying to work toward a "postracial" America. They want to be equally respected and represented well. That's all. Just treated as normal as you'll treat your close friends, family, and kids. Nothing more, nothing less.

NahaNago

Aug 29, 2014
Most people that speak about racism aren't trying to work toward a "postracial" America. They want to be equally respected and represented well. That's all. Just treated as normal as you'll treat your close friends, family, and kids. Nothing more, nothing less.
I can agree with most of your post except for the equally represented part and I'm also not going to treat folks as my close friends, family, and kids if they aren't those things.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

May 24, 2005
I can agree with most of your post except for the equally represented part and I'm also not going to treat folks as my close friends, family, and kids if they aren't those things.
How can you disagree with the represented well part? What I mean is lets not only give a certain race of people roles that are only bad guys. Or go out of our way to NOT give them roles where they are doctors, scientist, lawyers, etc. Lets represent them in the ways that (let's say black people) truly represent them in the way that they actually are. We aren't only gangstas and pro ball players. Give us all the possible role types.

Tapioca

Banned
Aug 17, 2017
The alt-right loves that she was not fired so that they can use this as a talking point/recruit new members through their white victimization narrative.

TrainedRage

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
USA
The alt-right loves that she was not fired so that they can use this as a talking point/recruit new members through their white victimization narrative.
And the left loves that she was not fired because she hates white people.

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009
So many white people on the left hate all white people. That groupthink and identity politics is so sad.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
USA
The left is a rather broad spectrum of people to generalize as there are so many ideologies within it. But yeah, some leftists do.
I mean I would have said alt-left, but i'm not sure that's a thing. Extreme progressives? Regressives? I know its not all the left, they may be a vocal minority.

NahaNago

Aug 29, 2014
How can you disagree with the represented well part? What I mean is lets not only give a certain race of people roles that are only bad guys. Or go out of our way to NOT give them roles where they are doctors, scientist, lawyers, etc. Lets represent them in the ways that (let's say black people) truly represent them in the way that they actually are. We aren't only gangstas and pro ball players. Give us all the possible role types.
I was under the impression that you was talking about forced diversity in work places, like ensuring that their was a number of either people of color or women in a business. It is probably because their are rarely black lawyers and doctors that most folk don't even think about giving a role to them. I'm not too sure on the number of black scientist. It would be nice but I don't think I've ever seen a black lawyer commercial ad where I live mostly just in real estate billboards.

mckmas8808

May 24, 2005
I was under the impression that you was talking about forced diversity in work places, like ensuring that their was a number of either people of color or women in a business. It is probably because their are rarely black lawyers and doctors that most folk don't even think about giving a role to them. I'm not too sure on the number of black scientist. It would be nice but I don't think I've ever seen a black lawyer commercial ad where I live mostly just in real estate billboards.
And see this is where I blame Hollywood, the news media in general, and social media for your lack of understanding. And some of it could be based on where you live, but there are 100s of thousands of black lawyers, doctors, and scientist. Like they are everywhere (where we live of course). Travel to Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Washington DC, New York, L.A., New Orleans, Baltimore, Kansas City, Atlanta, etc and you'll see them everywhere. And that's why representation matters. Especially in Hollywood.

I know of a black guy that I went to High School with that works for NASA at the moment. We are doing all of these jobs. It's one of the reasons why I loved the movie Hidden Figures so much.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018
Then the left should stop making the alt right look credible then, but the left hates white people far too much to do that.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
It shouldn't be. You should be proud to be white.
Why should you be proud to be white? black or whatever? Be proud of your accomplishments not of something you had no influence in. This goes also for your sexuality, your gender etc.

mckmas8808

May 24, 2005
Why should you be proud to be white? black or whatever? Be proud of your accomplishments not of something you had no influence in. This goes also for your sexuality, your gender etc.
There's some truth to your post, yes. I guess I was thinking more of you shouldn't feel guilty to be white. If someone likes being white, I could totally understand. I love being black for instance. If a Genie could change my race and my whole family's race, I'd turn him down because I love being black.

The reason is (to answer your question) being black in some cases comes with cultural things that you do, eat, and say. I wouldn't want to trade that cultural experience for nothing.