• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: How Trump Came to Enforce a Practice of Separating Migrant Families (Because of Stephen Miller)

rokkerkory

Trumps signage still enables indefinite detainment.

Trump signs an EO against his own policy.

CE5_D1_EA5_6806_417_C_ABAE_6_BA4_D42_B3890.jpg

bigedole

I know it has already been said in this thread, but I feel like it isn't being made clear enough. No child is being separated from their parent unless that parent is being prosecuted for a crime. It is not a crime for an asylum seeker to walk up to a port of entry and request asylum. No child is being taken from their parent in this case. Period. Now, asylum may be refused and they may then attempt to enter illegaly, and then they will be prosecuted for a crime if they are caught. The only thing Trump has done is direct border agents to actually execute the laws as they have existed for at least 15 years.

Now, here's the most important part of all of this: THIS IS NO DIFFERENT FROM HOW CHILDREN ARE HANDLED FOR EVERY ACTUAL U.S. CITIZEN. If a single mother is caught dealing drugs and gets arrested, her child is remanded into the custody of another family member if possible or a city/state/federal authority if not until the mother is either released or serves her adjudicated sentence. If people want to complain that ICE is underfunded and their facilities are in need of improvement, ok, that's fair. There is NOTHING INHUMANE happening here, though, unless you consider THE MANNER IN WHICH WE TREAT EVERY CRIMINAL IN THE U.S. INHUMANE. Specifically, attacking Trump for having the GALL to enforce our laws is one of the most ludicrous things I've seen the media do since he was elected. That is literally his only job.

Here is Ben Shapiro saying it a whole lot more intelligently than I can:

natjjohn

I know it has already been said in this thread, but I feel like it isn't being made clear enough. No child is being separated from their parent unless that parent is being prosecuted for a crime. It is not a crime for an asylum seeker to walk up to a port of entry and request asylum. No child is being taken from their parent in this case. Period. Now, asylum may be refused and they may then attempt to enter illegaly, and then they will be prosecuted for a crime if they are caught. The only thing Trump has done is direct border agents to actually execute the laws as they have existed for at least 15 years.

Now, here's the most important part of all of this: THIS IS NO DIFFERENT FROM HOW CHILDREN ARE HANDLED FOR EVERY ACTUAL U.S. CITIZEN. If a single mother is caught dealing drugs and gets arrested, her child is remanded into the custody of another family member if possible or a city/state/federal authority if not until the mother is either released or serves her adjudicated sentence. If people want to complain that ICE is underfunded and their facilities are in need of improvement, ok, that's fair. There is NOTHING INHUMANE happening here, though, unless you consider THE MANNER IN WHICH WE TREAT EVERY CRIMINAL IN THE U.S. INHUMANE. Specifically, attacking Trump for having the GALL to enforce our laws is one of the most ludicrous things I've seen the media do since he was elected. That is literally his only job.

Here is Ben Shapiro saying it a whole lot more intelligently than I can:

This point has been debunked many times.

bigedole

I can't even. No need to address the point of what I'm saying, it can be dismissed simply because it's agreed with by someone you don't like.

Dad.

Heres the thing, what do we do with these people? These kids?

Our own Americans who are impoverished are barely getting by with what limited government assistance we have.
Single mothers, families, are own waiting list for years for housing.
American kids in the "system" are more then our social workers can even keep track of.
American kids barely have enough money in schools for good books, teachers have 30 kids in a class.

So what do we do? We just open the flood gates?

Let's get this straight...

America is great, its AMAZING...But we DONT have a never ending wallet to feed, clothe, house, and educate every immigrant from a poor country.

Facts > Feelings.

I'd LOVE, LOVE an option on tax forms/W-2's for every EVERY "Let them in freely!" bleeding heart
that stated..
"I as a person supporting free flowing immigration allot $100 per-week ($5200 a year) from my salary as well as agree to house a family for 3-5 years."

That's it. You want them, your heart is big enough to look past the facts...then YOU pay for them and YOU house them.

They took a chance, knew the rules, new are government for the last 16 months has publicly said "Turn around" and they said fuck it.
Free markets need free movement of labor. Borders are a government regulation.

Top Bottom