• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

NYT: McConnell is said to be pleased about impeachment, believing it will make it easier to purge Trump from the Republican Party.

Aug 24, 2016

Senator Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader, has told associates he believes President Trump committed impeachable offenses and that he is pleased that Democrats are moving to impeach him, believing that it will make it easier to purge him from the party, according to people familiar with his thinking. The House is voting Wednesday to formally charge Mr. Trump with inciting violence against the country.

Mitch has 6 years before worrying about his seat doing this, but those who would side with him that have their seats coming into play sooner will likely lose their seats on this position, so not sure what he's thinking. More anti-establishment republicans make it harder for him to control the Senate.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Dacon and Tesseract

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
NYT reporting on what the turtle says behind the scenes is a perfect recipe for an aneurysm. Is the story even true, or is it based on what some intern who fetches coffee feels is their truth? And if it's true, is it what the turtle really feels, or just a false flag for reasons 2 moves away?

Heavy_D206

Feb 20, 2015
The old republican establishment always hated Trump from day 1 because he was an outsider who didn't play by their rules.

Mitch wants things to back to the way they were, when the Government could do all kinds of shady shit that was too boring/complicated for the average American to care about. Behind closed doors I'm sure Mitch and Biden have worked together on a lot of things over their extensive careers in Washington.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2004
California
manabyte.com
celebrate we did it GIF by chuber channel

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Impeachment is the right thing to do either way.
In my opinion impeachment will only make him stronger. It was not just build the wall that got him elected. Drain the swamp was just as powerful of a message 4 years ago. I can't imagine a bigger claim to standing up to elites then getting impeached after you left office. Even if by some miracle he is barred from office, his endorsement of someone sharing his name or ethos will only get stronger if they go this route.

ExpandKong

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
The way forward is a guy who wants minors to blowhard and leeched of shady dealings with China. Our moral betters have spoken.

I was thinking similar but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he meant the way forward for the Republican Party and not necessarily the nation.

I mean, it's wrong either way, but still.

tillbot8

Aug 4, 2020
I was thinking similar but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he meant the way forward for the Republican Party and not necessarily the nation.

I mean, it's wrong either way, but still.
Ah yes, I'm just having fun. But not as much fun as it's going to be watching these Lefties tripping over themselves to justify the least enthusiastically supported president in history when he fucks up so bad and is far more corrupted. Watching moral puritans trying to defend that to save face is going to be glorious entertainment.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
You could see there was a rift between them after the 2K debacle. Not surprised.
Turtle was right when it comes to the 2k debacle. The ground rules were clear - no buying packs, and they were supposed to only use players they got for free or grinded for. But Trump being Trump stacked his team with galaxy opals, while Mitch had to play mainly with mid 80's reward cards because he followed the rules. Totally unfair.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
Most of them probably are eager to go back to the way things were where they didn’t have to do much and not as many people were paying attention. I doubt most of these people ever liked Trump. McConnell will be 84 before he is up for re-election, so I can see him wanting to drop Trump completely. He probably won’t run again in six years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puncheur

Thaedolus

Banned
Jun 9, 2004
How about letting the American people decide at future elections? No?
The American people did decide. Then Trump tried a coup. The constitutional remedy of impeachment, administered by the people the American people elected to congress, is an appropriate measure to take for an impeachable offense, and barring an attempted autocrat from ever holding office again is exactly what needs to happen.

ERMint13

May 28, 2014
Philly
Dude got more votes than any presidential candidate in history except for one and their response is to burn him and everything he stood for down.
You are of no use when you don't do what your party wants. If your party wants war you better start one or they'll bury you.

The Democrats wanted nothing to do with Tulsi and buried her. Same with Bernie.

Political parties are looking for yes men/women not independent thinkers.

dcll

Apr 28, 2017
I didn't vote for Trump because of how great the republicans like him are, I don't care anything about the republican party. I want to see a new party and if it burns down the old two party then good

Reactions: oatmeal

Kreen101

Sep 4, 2019
The American people did decide. Then Trump tried a coup. The constitutional remedy of impeachment, administered by the people the American people elected to congress, is an appropriate measure to take for an impeachable offense, and barring an attempted autocrat from ever holding office again is exactly what needs to happen.
So you don’t trust your fellow countrymen not to reelect somebody you say is an autocrat, a fraud and a criminal? You really think poorly of their intelligence... But if people are so idiotic as to potentially reelect such a monster, should they even have the right to vote? Isn’t it just too dangerous?

Reactions: Iorv3th

belmarduk

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2019
The effort toward this would be better spent to censure the insurrectionist senators. It was quite effective against McCarthy, the spiritual predecessor of these dangerous extremists.

ExpandKong

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
You are of no use when you don't do what your party wants. If your party wants war you better start one or they'll bury you.

The Democrats wanted nothing to do with Tulsi and buried her. Same with Bernie.

Political parties are looking for yes men/women not independent thinkers.

That’s true. They’re less representatives of the people, more ultra-wealthy social clubs. Well, one club depending on how much attention you’re paying.

Reactions: smorgasbird

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017
No good will come from this for anyone. Congress needs to be concentrating on handling a pandemic and healing the nation, not further dividing it.

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017
The first step of healing would be that every elected official would call for new elections and then to cede control over to the military as they resign their positions. The new elections will be watched over by the military, ensuring that every vote is formally counted. Will this happen? Probably not. It’s the only way I can see to restore faith in any leadership.

Last edited:

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
I’m sure he is. Everyone knows the establishment Republicans held their nose for Trump. The sad thing is, Trump has allowed them to isolate him by being so stupid. Now no one of good conscience can really support him. You can make excuses for why that craziness wasn’t his fault, but it did happened at a rally he organized and spoke at. It sucks to have to keep making excuses for this shit.

Then today he says none of it is his fault and his speech was perfect. He can think whatever you want, but using the word perfect to describe anything about that day is tone deaf at a truly amazing level.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Dude got more votes than any presidential candidate in history except for one and their response is to burn him and everything he stood for down.
A loss is a loss in politics. There is no medal for second place. He couldn't even beat Joe Biden of all people who is a terrible candidate.

And that was BEFORE he incited a riot in the nation's Capitol. His political career within the Republican party is toast.

Airola

Jun 25, 2015
Finland
"according to people familiar with his thinking"

It should be some kind of a law that if news include a line like that, it should not be treated as news and therefore should not be published. If, when telling what the source for the news is, can't be written without a line like that, it perhaps shouldn't be written at all.

• Love
Reactions: BeardGawd and Dacon

Thaedolus

Banned
Jun 9, 2004
So you don’t trust your fellow countrymen not to reelect somebody you say is an autocrat, a fraud and a criminal? You really think poorly of their intelligence... But if people are so idiotic as to potentially reelect such a monster, should they even have the right to vote? Isn’t it just too dangerous?
I trust that the constitutional remedy was put in place for a reason and waiting around for the next election to settle things is the wrong move. It was the wrong move to wait until this election to have Trump removed as he showed in 2019 he was willing to commit impeachable offenses to win reelection. He showed it after election while throwing the whole electoral system under the bus. He showed it again when he committed a crime in trying to intimidate Georgia election officials into "finding more votes" or "recalculating" so that he won. He showed it again when he incited an insurrectionist mob to storm the capitol. If all of these things don't deserve impeachment, then why is impeachment even in the constitution and why would it specifically bar someone from holding office again?

You're basically asking why should we ever punish anyone for being a criminal when really people could just recognize they're a criminal and avoid them in the future. It doesn't work that way. Trump should be punished for his actions.

Thaedolus

Banned
Jun 9, 2004

That's a pretty big deal, but the house vote seems like a foregone conclusion at this point. Trump will be #1 in impeached presidents, first to get it twice. The question is how long the senate will take and how many Rs break ranks there...which, if Mitch wills it to be done, it's done. I'm assuming Murkowski, Romney and Collins are aboard already.

Reactions: DeafTourette
Aug 28, 2019
In my opinion impeachment will only make him stronger. It was not just build the wall that got him elected. Drain the swamp was just as powerful of a message 4 years ago. I can't imagine a bigger claim to standing up to elites then getting impeached after you left office. Even if by some miracle he is barred from office, his endorsement of someone sharing his name or ethos will only get stronger if they go this route.
Completely disagree.

But either way; you incite a riot that involved people roaming our capital and threatening politicians as a sitting President, you get impeached. What are the consequences of not punishing such high crimes?

Felony charges are next. Or at least a serious investigation; Don Jr currently under criminal investigation (for other crimes) for instance and IMO that also needs to extend to this incident and probably will.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
Legally, he did not incite violence, so any impeachment would be, once again, purely political.
There's a pretty solid argument that he violated the 14th amendment, and offered aid and comfort to insurrectionists.

Wouldn't even need to be impeached, but rather a simple majority vote. He would be barred from ever holding office again.

Reactions: DeafTourette

Stefan.North

Mar 6, 2019
I thought there would be Uniparty rule. But seing this would make one party rule instead, since GOP goes to battle libertarian, green and rest of parties to maybe get 1 or 2 House seats.

Oh well... time to feed my hamster and clean his cage.

Aug 28, 2019
There's a pretty solid argument that he violated the 14th amendment, and offered aid and comfort to insurrectionists.

Wouldn't even need to be impeached, but rather a simple majority vote. He would be barred from ever holding office again.
They need a separate vote to kill his ability to hold office.

But if the Senate votes to convict, they almost certainly will also vote to bar him from office. That's the only reason they'd do it lol

ExpandKong

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
A loss is a loss in politics. There is no medal for second place. He couldn't even beat Joe Biden of all people who is a terrible candidate.

And that was BEFORE he incited a riot in the nation's Capitol. His political career within the Republican party is toast.

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was talking less about Trump the person and more about the ideas and stances he espoused. The stuff that got him elected in 2016 and that got voters out in record numbers in 2020. The violent pushback against Trump we see happening now within the party will be seen as a rejection of those ideas as well, and those 75 million voters will remember that in 2022.

Meanwhile the Democrats will continue to devour their own as we saw them doing in the lead up to the election, especially now that the chips are all in their pile.

I hope both parties self destruct and split, honestly. The idea that 330 million people can be broken down into red vs blue has been ridiculous for ages.

Aug 28, 2019
Legally, he did not incite violence, so any impeachment would be, once again, purely political.

Where are you even getting this?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
I thought it was pretty obvious that I was talking less about Trump the person and more about the ideas and stances he espoused. The stuff that got him elected in 2016 and that got voters out in record numbers in 2020. The violent pushback against Trump we see happening now within the party will be seen as a rejection of those ideas as well, and those 75 million voters will remember that in 2022.

Meanwhile the Democrats will continue to devour their own as we saw them doing in the lead up to the election, especially now that the chips are all in their pile.

I hope both parties self destruct and split, honestly. The idea that 330 million people can be broken down into red vs blue has been ridiculous for ages.
I think Trump himself lost sight of what got him elected the first time, and made him such a fresh outsider candidate for many. In 2016, he ran on populist rhetoric, but didn't really specify much. He vowed to bring jobs back, but largely failed to make that materialize - quite famously in some states with some scam tax cuts for giant factories that never turned into what was promised. Ben Shapiro famously endorsed him in 2020 after not endorsing him in 2016, stating correctly that Trump governed as a tax cut neocon for the most part, with one of the sole differences being - not starting another war (even though he assassinated a foreign general). In 2020, his campaign was scattered and largely without a cohesive message. He criticized ANTIFA and declared he was the law and order president, he ran on minimizing COVID, and then the only glimmer of his former self we saw was his endorsement of the 2k checks.

I don't think even he understood his appeal, and clearly a huge chunk of his voters didn't care about the specifics, and just followed the man himself.