• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Trump Associate Sater: "I will get all of Putins team to buy in on this"

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/us/politics/trump-tower-putin-felix-sater.html

Trump Associate Boasted That Moscow Business Deal ‘Will Get Donald Elected'

NYT said:
WASHINGTON — A business associate of President Trump promised in 2015 to engineer a real estate deal with the aid of the president of Russia, Vladimir V. Putin, that he said would help Mr. Trump win the presidency.

The business associate, Felix Sater, wrote a series of emails to Mr. Trump's lawyer, Michael Cohen, in which he boasted about his ties to Mr. Putin and predicted that building a Trump Tower in Moscow would be a political boon to Mr. Trump's candidacy.

”Our boy can become president of the USA and we can engineer it," Mr. Sater wrote in an email. ”I will get all of Putins team to buy in on this, I will manage this process."

The emails show that, from the earliest months of Mr. Trump's campaign, some of his associates viewed close ties with Moscow as a political advantage. Those ties are now under investigation by the Justice Department and multiple congressional committees.

There is no evidence in the emails that Mr. Sater delivered on his promises. Mr. Sater, a Russian immigrant, was a broker for the Trump Organization at the time, which means he was paid to deliver real estate deals.

In another email, Mr. Sater envisioned a ribbon-cutting in Moscow. ”I will get Putin on this program and we will get Donald elected," Mr. Sater wrote.

Mr. Cohen suggested that Mr. Sater's comments were puffery. ”He has sometimes used colorful language and has been prone to ‘salesmanship,' " Mr. Cohen said in a statement. ”I ultimately determined that the proposal was not feasible and never agreed to make a trip to Russia."

Mr. Sater presented himself as so influential in Russia that he helped arrange a 2006 trip that Mr. Trump's daughter, Ivanka, took to Moscow. ”I arranged for Ivanka to sit in Putins private chair at his desk and office in the Kremlin," he said.

Ms. Trump said she had no involvement in the discussions about the Moscow deal. In a statement, she said she that during the 2006 trip, she took ”a brief tour of Red Square and the Kremlin but I have never met President Vladimir Putin." She did not say whether she sat in his chair.

The Times reported earlier this year on the plan for a Trump Tower in Moscow, which never materialized. On Sunday, The Washington Post reported the existence of the correspondence between Mr. Sater and Mr. Cohen but not its content.

The Trump Organization on Monday turned over emails to the House Intelligence Committee, which is investigating Russian meddling in the presidential election and whether anyone in Mr. Trump's campaign was involved. Some of the emails were obtained by The Times.

The Trump Organization issued a statement Monday saying: ”To be clear, the Trump Organization has never had any real estate holdings or interests in Russia."

Con_Smith

Banned
how much privilege does this man get before we just say fuck it already? Folks don't even like this dude for real and besides shitting on Obama we've yet to pass major legislation the GOP is so hard on for.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Renamed the initial thread to combine and get the tone of the title as close to accurate as possible. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom