• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obesity among US adults reaches all-time high, 40% of adults and 19% of kids

Soph

Obesity in the Netherlands is rising, it is practically the same percentage as the US (40% adults, 14% kids). Neighboring countries like Belgium have the same issue.
Source: http://teamboom.net/obesity-netherlands/, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17300276

Cute, but you're misreading your own graph. The graph states 30% of the dutch population is overweight, while 10% is Obese. In the US it's more than 40% Obese, with another 35% being overweight. This is a huge difference.

Zoe

That 40% figure is so high it's almost unbelievable to me. It just doesn't seem that if I were to line up 100 random adults off the street nearly half would be obese (not overweight).

I could find no studies to back my disbelief, so I guess I'm struggling with my own denial. I also live in Minnesota where "only" 27% of us are obese - but even that seems nuts.

How fat do you think obese is?

That's part of the problem.

Here's what a regular person in my country would order for lunch/dinner at McDonalds.

F9Nw14FbR7MuwOHIrmMh.png

How bad is it in the US?

Lol.

highrider

Banned
How true is this really? I think a large amount know how to cook, but don't have the time or energy to on a daily basis. And I know mealprepping is a thing, but leftovers are gross (sorry, they are).

Cooking is so easy now with youtube tutorials and billions of recipes.

Cooking doesn’t take a lot of time, and leftovers don’t have to be gross you just need to know what works as reheated food and what doesn’t. I like making stews and soups, pot roast, all great as leftovers.

I’m just judging by the quality of food I eat at most social dinners. It’s pretty low quality despite good ingredients, and the person cooking it is overwhelmed and the kitchen looks like a bomb went off. On the flip most simple family dinners in America are trash. I’m genuinely shocked when I see someone who is competent in the kitchen that isn’t professional. I felt like my parents generation could generally cook well.

Madness

This just shows the problem. Even as a teen when I had super fast metabolism and played sports I was eating 2 big mac, 6 piece chicken nuggets and a large coke as a meal after hockey etc. But once university started, sports stopped, a more partying and sedentary lifestyle took hold I had massive weight gain. I was also addicted to caffeine and was drinking 2 litres of pop, drinking whipped cream and sugar laden lattes, red bulls etc. Took a solid 6 months of only water to break caffeine hold, help stabilize diet. Liquid calories are the worst. Think of how many people drink beers daily. Or have pop or sodas with dinner. How many drink a 400 calorie coffee drink from starbucks when if they need caffeine can take a pill or drink green tea with no sugar for their energy jolt.

People drive to work, sit in a chair, take escalators or elevators, don't walk outside or go to gym, don't do any physical exercise. Sedentsry lifestyle, large portions almost half daily calorie requirements, heavily processed foods full of chemicals etc. It all adds up.

For me it was easy. I just got so fucking pissed off that I was about to start swinging on people....and I took up Yoga instead.

Honestly, I only seem to accomplish anything when I get mad.

jmdajr

I have pretty much figured out what to do to never be a fat fuck. Something crazy would have to happen to me for that to spiral out of control. And it won't be depression because that just kills my appetite.

Blood sugar levels and colon/heart health who knows. But I will probably be thin when they bury me.

Who says you don't need to drink even a bottle of water?

Me. I get plenty of fluids through my food. (and coffee)

I drink an glass of water if I am thirsty, which is not every day.

But the whole drinking huge amounts of water every day was an very popular myth.

Drink if you are thirsty but don't do it in excess because then you will piss away minerals and other stuff wastefully.

But the whole drinking huge amounts of water every day was an very popular myth.

Drink if you are thirsty but don't do it in excess because then you will piss away minerals and other stuff wastefully.

Coffee is mostly water but it still dehydrates you. This is like saying you can drink saltwater for sustenance. And you don't piss away minerals if you have functioning kidneys, where did you read this fatlogic? The amount of water at which it becomes toxic is way past 2 gallons

While there is absolutely an aspect of personal responsibility involved here, when people are surrounded by awful choices it's not a surprise that more often than not they make a bad choice nutritionally. I mean, I keep almonds at my desk most of the time but when there are donuts at the table that sits 5 feet away from my desk it's not a surprise that occasionally I go get them.

It's not so bad for me because I consciously don't keep junk food in my house but I know people are surrounded by it all the time. And I can cook and don't eat out that much. But I still have to fight with my weight because occasionally indulge in the sugar that's always in the breakroom. Or I have an awful day and decide to buy ice cream or go get a big greasy cheeseburger.

So I can only imagine how hard it is for people who can't or don't have the time to cook or are surrounded by junk food or don't have access to healthy food where they live.

And, like the system is just rigged against some people. My wife is obese but before she got hurt did yoga and strenuous exercise almost every day, stuck to a pretty strict diet while working 8-10 hour days, managed to lose about 30 pounds after like six months. After a a few stressful months of having a wedding, moving into a house, changing job responsibilities and all that entails she gained like half of it back. Shit can be hard, and dismissively saying "Just eat better" underestimates how complicated and difficult that can be, and how little effect it can ultimately have.

Coffee is mostly water but it still dehydrates you. This is like saying you can drink saltwater for sustenance. And you don't piss away minerals if you have functioning kidneys, where did you read this fatlogic? The amount of water at which it becomes toxic is way past 2 gallons

To be fair 'facts' like "Coffee is mostly water but it still dehydrates you" are also not really true.

If you drink nothing but tea or coffee you can still stay hydrated. I wouldnt recommend it for other reasons (well coffee anyway) but you dont get dehydrated drinking it. Same with booze.

You just need to stay hydrated. Water is best but you can drink other stuff too.

Linkura

Is your piss brown?

smisk

That's awful, I know we're not the only country to have problems with obesity, but I wish I knew exactly why it's such an issue here.
I had some dumbass libertarian argue with me that universal healthcare wouldn't work here because our country is too unhealthy. Starting to wonder if it's true.

I changed my eating habits completely. No more bread, cereal, pop, etc. Cut most red meat and a lot of dairy. I only have been eating chicken, fish & vegetables with some occasional pasta. I eat in portion sizes and won't eat after 8pm. I went from 280lbs down to 220 as of recent. Best decision ever made.

I don't know if it's just my social circle or class status but it seems like I see less obese people than I used to, not more. Like I'm kind of shocked that it's gone up so much and not just stayed flat. I think it goes to show that healthcare and healthy living is a luxury item in this country and that's sad and wrong.

Madness

That's awful, I know we're not the only country to have problems with obesity, but I wish I knew exactly why it's such an issue here.
I had some dumbass libertarian argue with me that universal healthcare wouldn't work here because our country is too unhealthy. Starting to wonder if it's true.

Even the UK has had to cut back on services through the NHS for obesity or smoking related issues since they are preventable. The cost of obesity and obesity related issues will be in the hundreds of billions to trillions if thr majority of Americans become obese with no signs of a decrease. Trump even reversed Michelle Obama's school policies meant to help with childhood obesity. Imagine if there was universal healthcare, what the cost of 200 million+ Americans with hormone issues, depression, joint and back problems, diabetes type 2 medications and surgeries like foot amputations would cost.

This is the single greatest health issue in the US and no one is really acknowledging it. No one is bringing up the fact the current US President is the 3rd fattest President of all time right now. Team sports participation is at an all time low for children. If obesity really kicked off post 1980's, then we are going to start to see 20 and 30 and 40 year olds who are obese and growing each year stsrt to suffer the effects we don't see when they are 15 or 25. Cardiac arrests and strokes, arthritis and pain meds, statins and blood thinners for cholesterol, etc.

Cheese, breaded maybe fried, chicken, shitloads of croutons, ranch dressing

Ridiculous fat bomb dressings. There's a place here in town where I order their buttermilk garlic salad dressing because I could mainline that stuff but it's hilariously unhealthy. At home it's always a vinaigrette.

Fried chicken, bacon, loads of dressing and in cases like McDonalds they actually sugar the salads. The amount of dressing restaurants dump on salads is insane.
That's insanely unhealthy lol

Slightly off topic.. I tried Red Lobster for the first time this summer, and dear God were the burgers absolutely incredible. Haven't had good burger like it in Canada in years. :(

IMO cooking should be told in school (personal finance also).

Back when I was in High school (2005-2009) my school actually had a couple classes on both, a nutrition/how to cook class as well as finances and banking/business classes among others. Sadly starting my sophomore year there were budget cuts and those classes were the very first ones cut along with the entire department.

slit

Even the UK has had to cut back on services through the NHS for obesity or smoking related issues since they are preventable. The cost of obesity and obesity related issues will be in the hundreds of billions to trillions if thr majority of Americans become obese with no signs of a decrease. Trump even reversed Michelle Obama's school policies meant to help with childhood obesity. Imagine if there was universal healthcare, what the cost of 200 million+ Americans with hormone issues, depression, joint and back problems, diabetes type 2 medications and surgeries like foot amputations would cost.

This is the single greatest health issue in the US and no one is really acknowledging it. No one is bringing up the fact the current US President is the 3rd fattest President of all time right now. Team sports participation is at an all time low for children. If obesity really kicked off post 1980's, then we are going to start to see 20 and 30 and 40 year olds who are obese and growing each year stsrt to suffer the effects we don't see when they are 15 or 25. Cardiac arrests and strokes, arthritis and pain meds, statins and blood thinners for cholesterol, etc.

People are acknowledging it there are just no great answers in dealing with it.

Jasup

Well the healthcare experts are.
But it's true, people really don't acknowledge things unless they're directly affected by them.

If we were to delve a bit into the world of psychology, we should be talking about the idea of personal invincibility, or optimism bias. In short we tend to think bad things happen to everyone else but me. This occurs in all of us in different degrees and it easily makes us believe this doesn't concern me, so I don't have to worry about it.

Steering a bit the other way, this bias also has a flip side, we tend to think we're in control - a good example of this is that vast majority of drivers think they're better than average drivers, and it's the others who are bad that get into accidents. But the implication is that you have to be in control, which can lead to bad thinking. It's basically like when smokers say "I'm in control, I can quit anytime I want." The more you think you're in control the stronger your belief in personal invincibility.

This has implications in our personal dietary habits. Many people think they're in control of what they eat or how they go about their lives. And if you think you're in control, you really don't listen if people say you're not. When affected by this bias, you are not very perceptive towards criticism. Which is a bit of a problem.

51QDVu2WLmL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0812982193/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This book got me into cooking all of my meals from scratch. Every single meal. Highly recommended.

If you're worried about the NRA and their influence, consider how much bigger the various food industry lobbies are. The food industry will play you like a fool and take all of your money until you're dead and can't do shit about it. Learn about them and take control of your life.

Yep. I cut fast food completely a long while ago and it was the best decision ever made. I cook huge meals constantly for leftovers and whatnot.

plus

lol I don't get how people can enjoy salads that literally drown all their shit in dressing. Sometimes at restaurants they go overboard and it tastes like a tangy ass soup with shriveled up greens and it's the grossest thing ever.

On another note, ranch is disgusting both as a dressing and a dip.

I swear to god, trying to be informed about nutritionism is the worst, it feels like nothing it's actually reliable and everything is going to be debunked by some other new research or whatever.

"You NEED to drink a bottle of water every day"/"No you actually don't"
"You NEED to eat small portions of food every three hours"/"No you actually don't"
"You NEED to have breakfast every day or otherwise your metabolism is going to be fucked up"/"No you actually don't"
"Carbs are literally Hitler you gotta avoid them"/"No you actually don't"
"Sugar is addicting"/"No it's not"
"Eating fruit will make you healtier"/"No it won't"
Etc.

Jesus Christ.
I'll clear it up for you.

Philip Morris's internal motto was "our product is doubt". You might know Philip Morris now as Altria, the global corporation that owns Kraft and Nabisco. That's right: Our food industry in 2017 is run by the same industries and people as the cigarette industry in the mid-1900s. This doubt you feel about making your own choices is intentional. They will continue making you feel like your poor choices are actually the right ones as they take all of your money and health.

The dairy, egg, and meat industries pay for pretty much any study that gives them the headlines in the media that makes people think continuing to eat that shit is actually healthy. The food lobbies are bigger than any other political lobby entity out there any of us typically worries about (NRA, etc), and we should stop supporting them with our money.

Beardz

6358359882436216361965175721_obese.gif

The documents show that a trade group called the Sugar Research Foundation, known today as the Sugar Association, paid three Harvard scientists the equivalent of about $50,000 in today’s dollars to publish a 1967 review of research on sugar, fat and heart disease. The studies used in the review were handpicked by the sugar group, and the article, which was published in the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine, minimized the link between sugar and heart health and cast aspersions on the role of saturated fat.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The dairy, egg, and meat industries pay for pretty much any study that gives them the headlines in the media that makes people think continuing to eat that shit is actually healthy.

What in the world do you have against dairy, eggs, and meat? Is this some vegan craziness?

What in the world do you have against dairy, eggs, and meat?
The industries are killing us, animals, and the planet for capitalist motives.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livestock's_Long_Shadow

http://who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/

I see a lot of people in this thread and many others mistaking sugar as the primary problem... how much sugar is anyone really eating these days? Bottled water sells more now. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bottled-water-sales-outpace-soda-for-the-first-time/

slit

Next time you go shopping, look at the labels and see how much sugar anything has.

I don't know what that has to do with anything. Are you claiming research papers from New England Journal of Medicine caused that? It's some kind of conspiracy?

What in the world do you have against dairy, eggs, and meat? Is this some vegan craziness?

Veganism isn't crazy.

Animal agriculture is destroying the environment, much faster than if most people dropped meat to even just once a week.

Going vegan is the most significant thing an individual human can do to combat climate change.

Beardz

I don't know what that has to do with anything. Are you claiming research papers from New England Journal of Medicine caused that? It's some kind of conspiracy?

People still believe that fat make you fat, that having "light" on the labels means something, that eggs are bad for your cholesterol levels, that exercise is going to make you thin, etc.

So yeah, people still believe ancient wrong stuff.

Btw, this sugar "conspiracy" is real and well documented.

slit

No it isn't, sugar has calories. Calories make you fat that's hardly a revelation even though the anti carb brigade will tell you it is. There are a lot of factors at play.

People still believe that fat make you fat, that having "light" on the labels means something, that eggs are bad for your cholesterol levels, that exercise is going to make you thin, etc.

Btw, this sugar "conspiracy" is real and well documented.

You still have not proven any link to your research paper. Too much sugar being bad for you is not some new concept. Health professionals have been telling people too much sugar is bad. When someone is diabetic they don't tell them to eat more sugar because some research from the 60's claimed it was okay.

No it isn't, sugar has calories. Calories make you fat that's hardly a revelation even though the anti carb brigade will tell you it is. There are a lot of factors at play.

You don't have to be anti-carb to realize that there is a sugar lobby who pays for studies and advertisement that promote sugar consumption. Many people still believe in the falsehoods spread by those studies decades ago

Are you sure you're not the one believing dated myths? The bolded is egg industry bullshit. They have to justify their continued existence.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2016/04/28/egg-consumption-and-ldl-cholesterol-size/

Maria Fernandez has received nearly a half million dollars from the egg industry and writes papers like ”Rethinking dietary cholesterol." She admits that eggs can raise LDL cholesterol, bad cholesterol, but argues that HDL, so-called ”good cholesterol," also rises, thereby maintaining the ratio of bad to good. To support this assertion, she cites one study that she performed with Egg Board money that involved 42 people.

If we look at a meta-analysis, a measure of the balance of evidence, the rise in bad is much more than the rise in good with increasing cholesterol intake. The analysis of 17 different studies showed that dietary cholesterol increases the ratio of total to HDL cholesterol, suggesting that the favorable rise in HDL fails to compensate for the adverse rise in total and LDL cholesterol. Therefore, increased intake of dietary cholesterol from eggs may indeed raise the risk of coronary heart disease.

The Egg Board responded (as seen in my video, Does Cholesterol Size Matter?) by saying that the increased heart disease risk associated with eating eggs needs to be put in perspective relative to other risk factors, arguing that it's worse to be overweight than it is to eat eggs, to which the authors of the meta-analysis replied, ”Be that as it may, many people do not find it a major hardship to cut back on egg intake, whereas most people find it impossible to lose weight permanently."

Laiza

The thing is that simple sugars directly lead to obesity in a fashion that fats and carbs do not. I mean, it's pretty clearly laid out in the video how the metabolic pathway heavily exacerbates the issue when simple sugars are involved (yes, I am aware it is a really long video - but it's well worth watching, IMO).

It's not just calories. It's a fact that sugars are the absolute worst calories one can consume when it comes to excessive weight gain.

slit

You don't have to be anti-carb to realize that there is a sugar lobby who pays for studies and advertisement that promote sugar consumption. Many people still believe in the falsehoods spread by those studies decades ago

What do they believe that the sugar lobby has drilled into them?

Top Bottom