• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi | Teaser Trailer | Disney+

Neolombax

This looks really good, but the Boba Fett series caused me to feel less enthused than I should be and feeling cautious. Didn't expect to see Inquisitors, looks exciting.

I guess I’m the only one here that’s Lukewarm to that trailer. Seems meh to me, and wasn’t expecting much after Boba.
Nah, there are dozens of us. People hear duel of the fates, see lightsabers and lose their minds. The head inquisitor looks goofy as hell, the voiceover lines are dumb and the visuals are boring.

We all know Vader is going to show up in this series, because of course they're going to do that. We also know one or more of the inquisitors will turn back to the light side, because Disney can't let bad guys be bad. It should at least be competently shot, because I have faith in Deborah Chow unlike Rodriguez. Also Ewan will still be great as Obi Wan regardless of what they do with him in this series.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Fett is better if you watch it in one continuous sitting. The episodic nature and weird design choices were definitely wtf week to week especially stewing over each detail week to week on social. Lets face it anything is better than TROS.

I just didnt like the direction at all. We just watched a show about a bad guy/neutral turned good in Mandalorian.

Now we have the exact same thing. Plus Fett just isnt interesting. His crew isnt interesting. Its not clear why he became the crime lord of Tatooine (I mean his motivations). And why he wants to keep this title. Why does he keep referring to "his people" and "our people"? He has been on Tatooine for a couple of years and most of it was spent in the deserts with Tuskans, so why would he have affinity to local people? Why is he such a terrible gangster.

Im just tired of the trend in comics, movies, etc of "oh you love this bad ass bad guy ... now we are going to make him a good guy!"

The premise of the show was great, the execution was really bad though.

Nankatsu

Yes that's how they get ya.

They could show a Newgrounds flash animation of stick figures fighting with that music and you lot would still lap it up lol.

"OMG RIGHT INTO MY VEINS I CLAPPED WHEN I HEARD THE THING AND I SAW THE DUDE" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Go Away GIF

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I hope they don't lose the vibe and atmosphere of the prequels in this.
And they better not tone down the lightsaber fights.
Disney's lightsaber battles have been lame in comparison
And I don't care if the prequals was all swirly light shows.
It looks awesome and made the sequel trilogy look like amateur hour.
They gotta better the prequel trilogy.
Especially TPM

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Especially TPM

Im no Disney apologist. I try to evaluate each "thing" on its own.

Im not a huge fan of the sequl trilogy but the Rey vs Kylo fight in ep 9 was super good.

MrMephistoX

That music is fucking hype

Also prequels are way better then 7 8 and 9
They really are I mean honestly it was trendy internet edge lord to bash on the prequels at the time but the only really cringey one is Episode 1 and even then it’s just questionable design choices like giving Jar Jar the most annoying voice imaginable. Disney designed the sequels by committee and it shows. I did like 7-8 but with a wet fart on an ending in TROS it makes those worse.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Im no Disney apologist. I try to evaluate each "thing" on its own.

Im not a huge fan of the sequl trilogy but the Rey vs Kylo fight in ep 9 was super good.
Yeah that scene was alright, they seemed to have listened to the criticism.
And I know people say there is reasons for it, ie the prequel trilogy they was masters of the art.
And after that they wasn't, But still.
I hope to see some epic stuff!

Last edited:

dan76

Not too impressed with the trailer to be honest. Still burnt from Book of Boba Fett. Better director this time but still, it's Disney etc. Haven't watched any of the cartoons so no idea what really going on, but I get that the Empire is hunting down the remaining Jedi.

Disneys track record has been terrible with Star Wars so far, barring The Mandalorian we would all be better off if none of it existed. Take the Star Wars skin of these films and tv shows and the stories wouldn't stand up.

I hope I'm wrong and it's great.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Especially TPM
They aren't going to take the time do quality lightsaber fights. They used to train for and rehearse them extensively for the prequels.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I can't get excited this time.
I feel like I've been burned by Star Wars every single time, since enjoying The Force Awakens. And I know that film isn't perfect, but it's the last SW project that worked for me. I'm an absolute sucker for Boba Fett and I found the show to be wasted potential, so I'm at an all-time low with Star Wars right now. Mandalorian didn't do anything for me either.

I'm not a hater though. If I hear it's great, I'll give the first episode a chance. If the first episode doesn't pull me in, I'll walk away. I want to enjoy some Darth Vader.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Loooool. That looks so bad.

I cringed when I heard Duel of Fates. Why do they keep using that track? Then I saw the lead inquisitor and fuck me! That head.......🤣🤣

IDKFA

Because it's the soundtrack to the only truly great scene (EP1 Darth Maul finale) to existing in a Star Wars movie since Return of the Fucking Jedi.

Write more music? It's like they know that Star Wars fans rub one out whenever that track comes on.

Catphish

Write more music? It's like they know that Star Wars fans rub one out whenever that track comes on.
I hear you. But at this point, I have ZERO expectations from Star Wars.

Since the release of the first Special Edition of the OT, it's being a repeated cycle of "This next one can't be worse than the last one, can it?"

They beat the shits to give right out of me.

Stitch

Gold Member
So I take it obi wan must kill all the inquisitiors? Is that why we never hear of them later on in star wars?
There were not many of them and they all die before A New Hope, but Kenobi is not the one who Kills them all.

Most of them die in Rebels, so a few years after this show.

ManaByte

Gold Member
There were not many of them and they all die before A New Hope, but Kenobi is not the one who Kills them all.

Most of them die in Rebels, so a few years after this show.
He might kill the Third Sister, but yea the others survive until Rebels.

Looks like it can be fun but I'm a bit pessimistic after Boba Fett.

Some parts of the trailer look cheap too, specifically where there is a shootout on the rooftops.

We'll see.

Stitch

Gold Member
He might kill the Third Sister, but yea the others survive until Rebels.
Old white man kills the black woman, oof yikes not a good look. :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

I wouldn't be surprised if Vader cuts her down like he did with some of the other ones.

Last edited:
Take the Star Wars skin of these films and tv shows and the stories wouldn't stand up.
Jedi Fallen Order and Vader Immortal are good.

But besides that there's only The Mandalorian and maybe Rogue One as anything good in the DisneyLucasFilm canon.

sol_bad

I was never really interested in the idea of the Obi-Wan show but this trailer and music has actually pulled me in. Does anyone know who is actually doing the music for the show?

IDKFA

These inquisitors shouldn't pose any threat at all to Obi-Wan, right? He went toe to toe with Vader, the most powerful force user of the time, and beat him. How will these inquisitors be any match for him at all? He should be able to cut them down without breaking a sweat.

^Well judging from the trailer my best guess is they yelled "Alexa, play Star Wars songs" into the ether and pressed record on their phone.

Thankfully there were many women of color in the trailer. You know what I always say, if it ain't women of color, it ain't Star Wars.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I was never really interested in the idea of the Obi-Wan show but this trailer and music has actually pulled me in. Does anyone know who is actually doing the music for the show?

All we know is John Williams did the main theme. The episode composer hasn't been revealed yet.

Ionian

^Well judging from the trailer my best guess is they yelled "Alexa, play Star Wars songs" into the ether and pressed record on their phone.

Thankfully there were many women of color in the trailer. You know what I always say, if it ain't women of color, it ain't Star Wars.

Even as a kid I thought the Twi-leks were hot. Fuck Jabba!

The bad guy being an inquisitor, he reminds of the boss in KOTOR, Darth Malek or something. He based on him? Looks so similar.

That boss fight was fun, I had to keep running him around the room while my force powers recharged and he taunted me. Brilliant game. Blast him once recharged and then start running away again. Whatever spec I'd picked made a hand-on-hand encounter was impossible. I really need to play both again.

Top Bottom