• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi | Teaser Trailer | Disney+

ManaByte

Gold Member
nzm53llvmkm81.jpg

Ristifer

Star Wars fans are the worst.

Star Wars fan: "Stop pandering with nostalgia, please."
Same Star Wars fan: "I wish they could recapture what made it so special in the first place."

I'm not some major fan of Disney Star Wars, and they sure as hell like to do a lot with the franchise. But I still feel like they will eventually produce something that sticks. Maybe this is it? Who knows?

Excess

The great thing about TV series, video games and the extended universe is that they don't need to be perfect. It's only feature films in the saga that I become very critical about. Give us more extended universe, that's all I want. Just stop shitting on the original Canon.

ManaByte

Gold Member
So some reliable stuff has been coming out about the series, Vader, etc, but spoilers:
At the beginning of the series Obi-Wan is as he is in the trailer. Believes the fight is lost, there's no hope. He hasn't been able to commune with Qui-Gon like Yoda teased him with at the end of ROTS. He's basically given up and lives as a hermit while looking after Luke but not being able to interact with him due to Owen being so protective. Owen doesn't like the Jedi.

Through going to rescue Leia he sees that there's a resistance building against the Empire and hope and he really isn't alone.

He fights Vader twice, the first time doesn't go well. The second duel is on a moon of Mustafar and in the fight he hears Qui-Gon's voice for the first time and he wins, showing Vader that he is still the learner.

Then at the end of the series when he returns to Tatooine he's changed and not the same hopeless hermit he was at the start and then he finally sees Qui-Gon and can begin his training.

sol_bad

That means nothing. These modern shows have dozens of producers and actors regularly gets thrown a producer's credit as part of the deal

The difference is whether they are an actual producer or an executive producer. Ewan McGregor is an executive producer so probably had nothing to do with the actual production. Maybe he had a say or two about the his characters direction. Probably more of a legacy thing than anything.

*EDIT*
The show has no actual producers, so weird.

Last edited:
Just like Star Trek I feel like Star Wars fans are living with constant battered wife syndrome.

Bro, Disney told you to fuck off years ago. You are the one fueling your own disappointment by hoping for anything from this.

If the Christians of GAF will pardon an Atheist quoting the Bible.

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ewan McGregor is an executive producer so probably had nothing to do with the actual production.

He worked with them to improve the scripts from the two-hour movie version. He was completely involved as he was the one pushing for them to do something with Obi-Wan since about 2007/2008 when they started up Clone Wars.

I knew Qui-Gon would show up. Deep fake Liam Neeson ghost.

I have a feeling another character will make a cameo. That being Cal Kestis because it's only five years after Jedi Fallen Order, there's the Inquisitors and the actor/model for the character is identical to the game.

dr_octagon

Banned
Ewan McGregeor is great but this trailer is low effort and fan made films would be better. The trailer would work best with Gangnam style instead of the pandering of duel of the fates.

Last edited:

Ionian

Couldn’t even get past 2 episodes of bobba get, will likely skip this

Was the same, skip the early ones and watch the last 3. It pays off in ways not expected.

I went from "this is a load of shit!" to "ooohhhh, now you're talking!".

My opinion anyway.

EDIT: Can't see another series being made but it is Disney. (Not a spoiler).

Last edited:

Fbh

Star Wars fans are the worst.

Star Wars fan: "Stop pandering with nostalgia, please."
Same Star Wars fan: "I wish they could recapture what made it so special in the first place."

I'm not some major fan of Disney Star Wars, and they sure as hell like to do a lot with the franchise. But I still feel like they will eventually produce something that sticks. Maybe this is it? Who knows?

Those statements aren't mutually exclusive though.
If we look at games for example, a lot of Star Wars fans really loved KOTOR 1 and 2. Hell, I've talked to more than a few people who have told me Kotor 2 has one of their favorite Star Wars stories in general, and that game is entirely based on new characters. Bioware and Obsidian took the stuff that people liked (The Jedi/Sith conflict, the force, lightsabers, the technology and races, the lore, etc) and used it tell a compelling new story with compelling new character. Hell, Kotor 2 has IMO one of the best female characters in all of Star Wars.

Meanwhile Disney is like "Did you know Han is called Solo because of a pun by a recruitment officer???"

Amiga

So some reliable stuff has been coming out about the series, Vader, etc, but spoilers:
At the beginning of the series Obi-Wan is as he is in the trailer. Believes the fight is lost, there's no hope. He hasn't been able to commune with Qui-Gon like Yoda teased him with at the end of ROTS. He's basically given up and lives as a hermit while looking after Luke but not being able to interact with him due to Owen being so protective. Owen doesn't like the Jedi.

Through going to rescue Leia he sees that there's a resistance building against the Empire and hope and he really isn't alone.

He fights Vader twice, the first time doesn't go well. The second duel is on a moon of Mustafar and in the fight he hears Qui-Gon's voice for the first time and he wins, showing Vader that he is still the learner.

Then at the end of the series when he returns to Tatooine he's changed and not the same hopeless hermit he was at the start and then he finally sees Qui-Gon and can begin his training.
How you manage to constantly read spoilers and stay hyped?

Because it's the soundtrack to the only truly great scene (EP1 Darth Maul finale) to exist in a Star Wars movie since Return of the Fucking Jedi.
Episode one sucked up 2 of the most banger shit to happen is SW. Pod race and Darth Maul. I been chasing that feeling ever since.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Is he going to start being called “Ben Kenobi”, in this? maybe we will find out how he got this name?
A robed figure is getting on a transport and the imperial ticket counter rep wants his name. He looks over and sees a sign for a bench, partially obscured.

Obi-wan Kenobi gives a wave of his hand.

“Ben. Ben Kenobi.”

rn0ASmt.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom