• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.
  • Hi. We'll be going down for maintenance briefly beginning soon. Thanks.

Opinion Retro Trailer Oblivion Is Still Excellent 15 Years Later

GloveSlap

Dec 28, 2007
I would compare it to something like GTA 3. Janky as hell now, but mind blowing at the time for people who had never played anything like it before. Less impressive for people that had already played Morrowind before i'm sure.

Starfield

Aug 13, 2015
Did this stuff actually happen? I remember them talking so much about “radiant AI” prior to release but I thought most of that got cut from the final game.
yeah it did. The AI was actually way more intelligent even in Oblivion already. They had to "restrict" the AI for release because it caused too many troubles. You can still find the code, even some in Skyrim as a leftover.

SafeOrAlone

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Seems like most people say Oblivion better than Skyrim, and just as many people will chime in and say that Morrowind is better than Oblivion. Sounds like it's been a downward trajectory for many.

I really only spent more than a handful of hours with Skyrim. I enjoyed it, but never fell in love with it to the extent that many others did.

CatLady

Plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Jun 12, 2018
I can't even remember anything about the game, i just remember having more fun with it.

Also the graphic was kinda mindblowing on x360.
To me they're still mindblowing on the Series X today. It's not because of the graphics quality (although it does seem like it's improved over my 360 playthoughs). It's more due to the exquisite art Bethesda originally created to make such a beautiful and immersive world in Oblivion.

The art and world of Skyrim doesn't compare for me even though it has higher quality graphics. It's bland and boring when compared to the spectacular and magical world of Oblivion.

Bonfires Down

Jul 31, 2007
Played some 10 hours before I dropped it. The story is… ok. The combat is… ok. There’s just so much downtime with nothing exciting going on and when you find something it’s just another dark cave with some pointless loot. Witcher 3 and BotW did the exploration thing so much better.

GnomeChimpsky

Oct 26, 2017
To me they're still mindblowing on the Series X today. It's not because of the graphics quality (although it does seem like it's improved over my 360 playthoughs). It's more due to the exquisite art Bethesda originally created to make such a beautiful and immersive world in Oblivion.

The art and world of Skyrim doesn't compare for me even though it has higher quality graphics. It's bland and boring when compared to the spectacular and magical world of Oblivion.
For me it's the exact opposite. World design in Oblivion was great but everything else was meh. Character design was just awful. And don't get me started on voice acting... dear god.
Skyrim is visually much bleaker but art direction is tight.

Starfield

Aug 13, 2015
Played some 10 hours before I dropped it. The story is… ok. The combat is… ok. There’s just so much downtime with nothing exciting going on and when you find something it’s just another dark cave with some pointless loot. Witcher 3 and BotW did the exploration thing so much better.
For caves and dungeons I really suggest you to try out this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/40392?tab=files

This dude changed the layout and design of basically every non-quest related dungeon or cave. He's put some real work in it and it shows. Makes the caves more unique like in Skyrim.

You have to remember how many people were in Oblivion's development team. (about 70 people compared to Witcher 3 with 150-250, also Witcher 3 came out 10 years later lol)

And caves were made from like 1 or 2 people

• Thoughtful
Reactions: JimmyRustler

JimmyRustler

Jun 17, 2006
I hope TES6 is more Oblivion than it is Skyrim. However, i believe it will be Skyrim x100.
It's kind of paradoxial. Oblivion looked very empty and shallow (world and dungeons) but was rich in depth (story and quests). Skyrim was just the oppsite. Fallout 4 was even worse.

Fallout 3 was kind of a good middle ground if you ask me. Hope that TES6 is again more like it. I mean, it's neat to have a cool world and diverse dungeons but if you do not fill them with actual and well written quests it's all for shit. We are decades off the point where AI stuff will make up for hand written quests and quest lines.

Sep 26, 2011
I loved it when it came out, but the level scaling - bandit attack and they're all wearing glass armour and have amazing weapons, costing enough to buy a village is idiotic - and Oblivion gates are horrible, and dropped it to maybe my least favourite of the Elder Scrolls games. Those things make the grind really bad as you go through it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonfires Down