• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion Is Still Excellent 15 Years Later

GloveSlap

I would compare it to something like GTA 3. Janky as hell now, but mind blowing at the time for people who had never played anything like it before. Less impressive for people that had already played Morrowind before i'm sure.

Starfield

Did this stuff actually happen? I remember them talking so much about “radiant AI” prior to release but I thought most of that got cut from the final game.
yeah it did. The AI was actually way more intelligent even in Oblivion already. They had to "restrict" the AI for release because it caused too many troubles. You can still find the code, even some in Skyrim as a leftover.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Seems like most people say Oblivion better than Skyrim, and just as many people will chime in and say that Morrowind is better than Oblivion. Sounds like it's been a downward trajectory for many.

I really only spent more than a handful of hours with Skyrim. I enjoyed it, but never fell in love with it to the extent that many others did.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I can't even remember anything about the game, i just remember having more fun with it.

Also the graphic was kinda mindblowing on x360.
To me they're still mindblowing on the Series X today. It's not because of the graphics quality (although it does seem like it's improved over my 360 playthoughs). It's more due to the exquisite art Bethesda originally created to make such a beautiful and immersive world in Oblivion.

The art and world of Skyrim doesn't compare for me even though it has higher quality graphics. It's bland and boring when compared to the spectacular and magical world of Oblivion.

Played some 10 hours before I dropped it. The story is… ok. The combat is… ok. There’s just so much downtime with nothing exciting going on and when you find something it’s just another dark cave with some pointless loot. Witcher 3 and BotW did the exploration thing so much better.

To me they're still mindblowing on the Series X today. It's not because of the graphics quality (although it does seem like it's improved over my 360 playthoughs). It's more due to the exquisite art Bethesda originally created to make such a beautiful and immersive world in Oblivion.

The art and world of Skyrim doesn't compare for me even though it has higher quality graphics. It's bland and boring when compared to the spectacular and magical world of Oblivion.
For me it's the exact opposite. World design in Oblivion was great but everything else was meh. Character design was just awful. And don't get me started on voice acting... dear god.
Skyrim is visually much bleaker but art direction is tight.

Mr Branding

Best Elder Scrolls for me. Can’t wait to replay this on the Deck. Ost is pure magic and the quest design and factions are way above Skyrim

Starfield

Played some 10 hours before I dropped it. The story is… ok. The combat is… ok. There’s just so much downtime with nothing exciting going on and when you find something it’s just another dark cave with some pointless loot. Witcher 3 and BotW did the exploration thing so much better.
For caves and dungeons I really suggest you to try out this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/40392?tab=files

This dude changed the layout and design of basically every non-quest related dungeon or cave. He's put some real work in it and it shows. Makes the caves more unique like in Skyrim.

You have to remember how many people were in Oblivion's development team. (about 70 people compared to Witcher 3 with 150-250, also Witcher 3 came out 10 years later lol)

And caves were made from like 1 or 2 people

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I hope TES6 is more Oblivion than it is Skyrim. However, i believe it will be Skyrim x100.
It's kind of paradoxial. Oblivion looked very empty and shallow (world and dungeons) but was rich in depth (story and quests). Skyrim was just the oppsite. Fallout 4 was even worse.

Fallout 3 was kind of a good middle ground if you ask me. Hope that TES6 is again more like it. I mean, it's neat to have a cool world and diverse dungeons but if you do not fill them with actual and well written quests it's all for shit. We are decades off the point where AI stuff will make up for hand written quests and quest lines.

I loved it when it came out, but the level scaling - bandit attack and they're all wearing glass armour and have amazing weapons, costing enough to buy a village is idiotic - and Oblivion gates are horrible, and dropped it to maybe my least favourite of the Elder Scrolls games. Those things make the grind really bad as you go through it.

Last edited:

Tschumi

When i go back to play older TES titles... It used to be Morrowind and its amazing expansions, but it's always Oblivion now... I prefer the setting, prefer the music, i prefer the lack of manly chanting, prefer the pace, prefer the story, yeah. Skyrim.. i completed it twice with great enthusiasm, and i feel like there's nothing left for me to discover.

Last edited:
I could never understand why people got so into Elder Scrolls Series. The characters always looked fugly, the minotaurs looked super derpy as well. I tried both Skyrim and Oblivion multiple times and could never get into it. However, I am glad these games exists as I do understand they did a lot for the industry in terms of big open world rpgs and happy for the fans that like them.

This is coming from someone who's a huge fan of fantasy settings.

But I also dislike Lord of the Rings, for me artstyle and depiction of the races and creatures is a very big deal and I do not like how both of those universes depict dwarves, elves and so on.

I really love the more darker and Gothic fantasy of the Dark Souls Series. And I always liked the style of Warcraft as well. Yeah, very different comparing the two but still far superior than LotR or Elder Scrolls to me.

Dungeon and Dragons, Magic the Gathering is pretty solid too.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Beautiful game world but some seriously cringe character models and their associated animations even at that time.

At the time, not many games were that ambitious though. In 2006, I don’t remember anything close to this scale (at least on consoles

Fredrik

I could never understand why people got so into Elder Scrolls Series. The characters always looked fugly, the minotaurs looked super derpy as well. I tried both Skyrim and Oblivion multiple times and could never get into it. However, I am glad these games exists as I do understand they did a lot for the industry in terms of big open world rpgs and happy for the fans that like them.

But I also dislike Lord of the Rings, for me artstyle and depiction of the races and creatures is a very big deal and I do not like how both of those universes depict dwarves, elves and so on.

I really love the more darker and Gothic fantasy of the Dark Souls Series. And I always liked the style of Warcraft as well. Yeah, very different comparing the two but still far superior than LotR or Elder Scrolls to me.

It’s about immersion, open worlds, role playing, lore, exploration and mods. Nothing comes close today. Bethesda is the only one pulling all those strings simultaneously. The peak of Skyrim was Skyrim VR with HIGGS and VRIK mods for me. You’re there.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Uploading a video to YouTube a few days ago, Greg Coulthard, a self-taught CG enthusiast, has shown what 2006's Oblivion looks like when put through Unreal Engine 5. Specifically, they've shown the town of Skingrad, including the castle exterior. As many can imagine, the result is a much more modern take on the now somewhat dated Elder Scrolls title. The visuals are more befitting of a modern game, and while the original is still quite pretty to this day, it shows just how much it can be improved when recreated using up-to-date tools.

While it's not quite Oblivion's gorgeous Imperial City, Skingrad is still an interesting locale for demonstrating the power of Unreal Engine 5. One of the most distinctive things about this town, which lies along the Gold Road, is its castle. Situated at the end of a high stone bridge, overlooking the surrounding valleys and hillsides, Castle Skingrad towers over the region. The sight of it in this engine makes it look even more spectacular. Generally, the whole thing looks ever more impressive than the vanilla version of the game, which is now 16 years old.

Uploading a video to YouTube a few days ago, Greg Coulthard, a self-taught CG enthusiast, has shown what 2006's Oblivion looks like when put through Unreal Engine 5. Specifically, they've shown the town of Skingrad, including the castle exterior. As many can imagine, the result is a much more modern take on the now somewhat dated Elder Scrolls title. The visuals are more befitting of a modern game, and while the original is still quite pretty to this day, it shows just how much it can be improved when recreated using up-to-date tools.

While it's not quite Oblivion's gorgeous Imperial City, Skingrad is still an interesting locale for demonstrating the power of Unreal Engine 5. One of the most distinctive things about this town, which lies along the Gold Road, is its castle. Situated at the end of a high stone bridge, overlooking the surrounding valleys and hillsides, Castle Skingrad towers over the region. The sight of it in this engine makes it look even more spectacular. Generally, the whole thing looks ever more impressive than the vanilla version of the game, which is now 16 years old.

Yeah, sorry but that looks like ass....tbh Skyblivion looks better than whatever the fuck this is, just goes to show that you can have the newest engine and still create something that looks like an early last gen game. But, seeing that they made this by themselves, kudos, but these articles really need to cool it on the hyperbole.

EDIT:
After more research, fucking lol this person literally just took all the data from Oblivion and exported it into UE5.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hell yeah Oblivion is fantastic. The world is teaming with atmosphere, it's so fucking good.

Played it on SX not too long ago. 4K/60 FPS and 1~2 second load times through out.

The Dark Brotherhood questline is fucking amazing, probably better than the main game.

anthraticus

Banned
To a lot of console gamers who never played an open world RPG like that before, it must have been novel.

But for longtime fans of the genre it was one of the biggest disappointments ever in gaming and the one that is often looked at as the symbol of decline for RPGs, introducing things like being led around by an idiot marker, reducing it to just playing a game of 'follow the directions'(which a monkey can do) instead of actually having to figure out the game on your own.

Everything 'scaling to your level' making all the RPG systems feel pointless.

2 huge no no's right there.

I'd love for this game to get a remake, redo ALL of the animations none of this "staying true to the original" nonsense, if they couldn't do better that's no reason to make the customer suffer now. Obviously it needs graphical improvements, getting rid of the constant mini loads when walking around the environment would help a lot as well. They should keep the core things like spell creation etc exactly the same but offer a much better 3rd person option, tighten up the first person controls. I loved blasting people with lightning and watching them go bouncing around indoor locations lol.

Last edited:

Kikorin

I remember I pre-ordered the limited edition back then, just sold by screens on magazines. I had a pretty new PC and still it was running like shit, but I was amazed by the graphics and never wanted to lower settings for better framerate. I'd be curious to know how bad I played it (never finished), but probably well under 30fps.

This is complete heresy and deeply offends me on so many levels it physically hurts.

Now I have no option but to bleech my eyes.

Last edited:

GenericUser

I still prefer Oblivion over Morrowind and especially Skyrim. The setting alone makes Oblivion so much more comfy then Skyrim or Morrowind. I definitely need to pick this up, the next time it's on sale on xbox.

I referred to Oblivion simply as "Nerd Quest". The fantasy setting of Elder Scrolls isn't exactly my cup of tea. In the end I put about 500 hours into finishing everything in Nerd Quest. Then I did it again in Skyrim which was just about the only game I played for an entire year from launch until fall 2012.

Bethesda games are time vampires.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
I have actually recently replayed Oblivion and Skyrim to completion.

I must say that without Shivering Isles, Skyrim is the better game.

I know Skyrim simplified the rpg elements but I prefer that to Oblivion‘s confusing level up system that scales your enemies with you. Oblivion’s is terrible especially on higher difficulties. Unless you specifically and meticulously level up skills and write them down in the right order and amount, shit gets harder rather than easier levelling up.

Morrowind is the best anyway.

amigastar

Just started playing Oblivion, never really played it for too long. I loved Skyrim so i hope this one will be good also.
Too bad Skyblivion is planned for a 2025 release.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

When I played it I couldn't walk because my inventory was full with 50 pans and 28 pots. That's what reminds me of Oblivion

Having said that, on release and avoiding the story it was amazing to visit all those sites.

Rykan

Wasn't even good when it came out. The excellent soundtrack and the at the time incredible visuals did a lot to hide how completely and utterly broken the game is. Oblivions gameplay and the mechanics behind them were straight up garbage, even for its time. It basically started what I call the "Open World Pass" in which poor design and poor gameplay are excused and the game is given a pass just because it is an open world game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom