• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oboro Muramasa Youtouden [Wii] screens ( Vanillaware RPG game )

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
wsippel said:
Odin Sphere isn't an indicator. Odin Sphere was published by Atlus, OMY is published by Marvelous. Marvelous has a European publishing subsidiary, Rising Star, and pretty much every Marvelous game comes to Europe these days. That's why No More Heroes is confirmed for Europe (published by Rising Star, of course), but not for the US (no publisher).

Oh dear god YES! you've just made my week, thanks a load :D

Whoaness said:
I already am. Hoping for some porting action. Like the PSP could probably handle it well now.

You know what, I've had it with this sort of shit, it's bad enough when it is semi-justified, but this game looks stunning, and the PS would not be able to do it, ever.

Also, looking at that post showing your short post history proves that you sir, are a tool, so kindly fuck off.

Weisheit

Whoaness said:
~looks at your Junior Member tag and avatar~

Riiiiight. Got nothing better to say? Like something actual rather than flaming? Go back to Gamefaqs.
Whats my avatar got to do with anything? And I've never been a member of gamefaqs, although you have been.

BTW I've been here longer than you.

Whoaness

Banned
Weisheit said:
Whats my avatar got to do with anything? And I've never been a member of gamefaqs, although you have been.

BTW I've been here longer than you.

Guess you don't contribute much. And you don't read threads like that NMH thread. It obviously has issues with the beamsaber graphics.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Will they show anything for this at TGS? I don't see it on the TGS website MMV put up. I was hoping for a video.

duckroll said:
Grim Grimoire is the better game, but Odin Sphere has..... errr.... Okay Grim Grimoire has the better story too. Oh I know! Odin Sphere has better char.... wait no. Grim Grimoire has better characters too.... errr.. Okay move along, nothing to see here. ^^;;

Edit: OH WAIT I KNOW! Odin Sphere has a LOLI WITH A BLACK CAT ON HER LAP READING BIG DUSTY BOOKS! AHA! I KNEW THERE WAS A REDEEMING FEATURE! :D
:lol QFT :lol

Whoaness said:
I already am. Hoping for some porting action. Like the PSP could probably handle it well now.

This statement would be enough to get you declared legally blind in 17 of the 50 states.

Arde5643

Stop It said:
Also, looking at that post showing your short post history proves that you sir, are a tool, so kindly fuck off.
I think, in a grasping-for-straw-trying-to-find-good-in-everyone positive viewpoint, it's good that he lives up to his user name.
Everytime you see his posts, you're glad you're not the one writing it and expecting people to reply to it seriously.

Whoaness said:
Riiiiight. Got nothing better to say? Like something actual rather than flaming? Go back to Gamefaqs.
If your posts so far have never been about flaming, rather you actually being serious - then ... oh god....oh my fucking god... Whoa....whoa indeed.

Weisheit

Whoaness said:
Guess you don't contribute much. And you don't read threads like that NMH thread. It obviously has issues with the beamsaber graphics.
Apparently neither do you.

I sorta changed it. It's actually because the Wii's spike sales overshadow PS3's mirror success to the PS2.

Whoaness said:
Seen Crisis Core?

Yes. Looks significantly worse than the PS2's best.

And the PS2 is signficantly weaker than the Wii.

Apparently neither do you.

Yeah, while we're at it, Whoaness, you've yet to return to that thread and respond to what we said concerning that line of yours.

Evlar

Banned
The game looks fantastic. I enjoyed both Odin Sphere and Grim Grimoire, the art is really dazzling throughout these games. Hopefully the Wii can run it without excessive slowdown.

I honestly can't comprehend why Wii controls would be an obstacle for a 2D ARPG.

Arde5643

Whoaness said:
Seen Crisis Core?
gullibility
noun
tendency to believe too readily and therefore to be easily deceived

bullshot
noun
hyped, worked screenshots that's not actually present in game itself.

You might want to peruse this words further in the future especially with Final Fantasy games or almost any game from SE.

Wow! this looks amazing wish it was a side scrolling beat em up though, not really into RPG's but if this gets localized may have to give it a try.

Zoolaga

Am I the only one that got a First/Second Samurai vibe when seeing these screenshots?

530cfmo.png
66etxt5.png

Arde5643

Hydro_Alexis said:
Wow! this looks amazing wish it was a side scrolling beat em up though, not really into RPG's but if this gets localized may have to give it a try.
It might be like Odin Sphere a beat em up with some RPG mechanics- although hopefully it will have a deeper gameplay system since Odin Sphere's was pretty shallow.

Whoaness

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Yes. Looks significantly worse than the PS2's best.

And the PS2 is signficantly weaker than the Wii.

Yeah, while we're at it, Whoaness, you've yet to return to that thread and respond to what we said concerning that line of yours.

Then you didn't see Crisis Core. It looks slightly better than FFXII.

Too busy playing games.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
In the Video only section, there's an "untitled game" in the Wii section and one in the PS3/360 (multiplatform!) section too. This is probably the untitled Wii game and will be updated when they official create a site for game in the coming week.
Oh man I skimmed right past those bullets! I thought all the titles would've had placeholder websites like Valhalla Knights 2 did, and when I didn't see a box beside King Story I thought it wasn't going to be there. Awesome! :D

Crushed

Fry Daddy
BY THE GODS.

I know some people were irked by my little joke in the Famitsu thread about this, but this game looks gorgeous.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hydro_Alexis said:

worry not - if it's anything like odin sphere*, the game will be a top-notch brawler.

* that being half a brawler, half a cooking/alchemy game.

I'd like to see how waggle is implemented in a game like this; I've got some trepidations, because my natural inclination is "this is a 2D platforming ARPG", so how can they use waggle other an as a "button press".

But then, Super Paper Mario handled the waggle and pointer functions exceptionally well, so I'm praying Vanillaware follows that example.

Koren

replicashooter said:
Certain shots really remind me of Mystical Ninja on the SNES:
My thought, exactly... And many of them (not surprising since they're both using japanese mythology).

My first idea when I saw those was "I'd really like to see a brand new goemon with such graphisms".

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Whoaness said:

Too busy playing games.

:lol

It's a shame you just got banned, because if you weren't a joke account, then you are seriously deluded, ah well.

Also, Dragona, yes, if they do a SPM style control scheme, (Which by all accounts was great, but I wont mention it again, as the UK still hasn't got it
NoE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE
) then it's all good, here's hoping.

RyltarX

You know, there IS an IR sensor on the Wiimote! Who says it has to be waggle? They could do something with that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
RyltarX said:
You know, there IS an IR sensor on the Wiimote! Who says it has to be waggle? They could do something with that.

Yeah that could be interesting. I love the pointer/IR sensor. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT.

Whoaness said:

I repeat - legally blind in 17 of the 50 states.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure how they plan on incorporating motion sensing into this. All I suppose I can do is hope they don't go 'Swing the Wiimote to make the Samurai slash enemies!'

KiticanaX

Banned
Error said:
you never played Odin Sphere, looks like.

the parallax scrolling in Odin Sphere is insane.

Or quite possibly he has an opinion. I for one enjoyed the parallax scrolling in Odin Sphere, although that does not say that I wouldn’t rather prefer it to have normal level design.

Arde5643

RyltarX said:
Ohhhh - good one. I'm always interested to see something created with the pointing feature in a traditional game.

Press A to do regular attacks, point with the wiimote to an enemy and hold A to lock on to an enemy and launch long distance attacks.
Press and hold B and follow the paths shown in the screen (a la EBA) to perform super delicious full blown magic attacks.

I wish they'll make a 2D Castlevania pretty soon with those kinds of setup. :D

Haunted

Whoaness
Banned
(Today, 07:17 PM)
Reply | Quote

Didn't that guy get accepted with the new batch just a couple days ago? It's a good thing the new (junior) members trolls are weeded out fast.

JoeFu

Banned
Haunted One said:
Whoaness
Banned
(Today, 07:17 PM)
Reply | Quote

Didn't that guy get accepted with the new batch just a couple days ago? It's a good thing the new (junior) members trolls are weeded out fast.

Look at his posts, I think he had over 250 since I checked yesterday...

And I think he was part of the batch I'm from.

BACK ON TOPIC:

If there is waggle, I hope they don't try to do too much, but like I said, 36 hours of waggling did not ruin my experience for Zelda.

CTLance

ohellyes.gif

..and it's 2D. This pleases me greatly. I somehow prefer 2D graphics over 3D stuff, except when it's done extremely well. Let's hope for good gameplay on top of the awesome graphics, and a timely EU&US release.

Also, :lol @ Whoaness. The candle that burns twice as bright will only last half as long, or so they say.

Krowley

This is a 2d game, but it's still possible that it uses the nunchuck in combination with the wiimote... Everybody seems to be assuming that it uses the wiimote turned sideways with the d-pad for movement... Has this been stated explicitly?

anyway, if it uses the nunchuck for movement, i can see numerous interesting ways to impliment the wiimote just with IR.. Even motion sensing could play an interesting role.

i think waggle will be limited. just because the wii can do motion sensing doesn't mean devs have to make it a feature i think.

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
I'd like to see how waggle is implemented in a game like this; I've got some trepidations, because my natural inclination is "this is a 2D platforming ARPG", so how can they use waggle other an as a "button press".

But then, Super Paper Mario handled the waggle and pointer functions exceptionally well, so I'm praying Vanillaware follows that example.

This i disagree with. How did Super Paper Mario handle the waggle/pointer functions well? Answer: By almost exclusively ignoring them, except in the most mundane and worthless ways. In fact if any criticism is to be leveled at that game, it's at the extreme secondary nature of its implementation. This seems quite a bit more involved from the description, so I doubt it applies, but I cannot fathom how you thought that was "exceptionally well." I mean that's not even a slash against waggle or anything, because the game barely used it except to locate random hidden doors.

Different strokes!

On topic(er): This game looks INSANE. 2D graphics F-T-W.

ghibli99

This game looks fantastic... the challenge will be me trying to remember the name of this game so that I don't completely overlook it later!

Oboro... Oboro... Oboro...

KiticanaX

Banned
madara said:
Sweet, where can one find sales data on Odin and such? Would love to see amarket like this where 20 percent can be 2D or more creative artist attempts and be profitable. Have them do the next mana game, there is no way they can do any worse to the series. Day one purchase Oboro you are!

I got my Japanese sales data from Media Create, as for American well I'd link to you but I'd get banned.

If you're interested in Odin Sphere *since you seem interested in it* I highly recommend it. People in here maybe aren't so hot for it but it is a widely respected game amongst JRPG fans. Most people were disappointed because they weren't familiar with the princess crown series and didn't know it would be repetitive and not be the Sidescrolilng Final Fantasy or a Valkyrie Profile imitator, nor did most care to find the much hidden depth in the game. Unless you hate beat-em-ups and can't stand repeating backgrounds there's no reason to get it, it's only $40 on Amazon after all.

Also I can almost say for a fact that 2D games will make a huge comeback this generation on the Wii.

Dave Long said:
This looks like the Sega Saturn 2D games I wanted and we only ever got a handful of because everyone thought 3D was the only way to make videogames after 1995. :(

Fun fact Odin Sphere was actually a spiritual sequel to Princess Crown, a game for the SEGA Saturn that was never released here. And since this game seems like a spiritual sequel to Odin Sphere one could say that this would be the third game in the series. :p

Here's some videos of Princess Crown

Fun Fact #2 Odin Sphere is the first game by George Katamantani *spelling* that doesn't star a female protagonist.

PolyGone

Banned
obviously the game is early, but I like that these screens have no HUD. I hope it stays that way. Who wants the awesome art covered up by stupid infos?

KiticanaX

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
Is it true that these(and Odin Sphere's) bg were all handrawn and that there are only 13 people workng at Vanillaware?

O.O

No that's false, it was 12 people....no I'm not kidding I'm serious Odin Sphere was created by only 12 people and I think in under 2 years too. Also the art was all done by ONE guy George Katmantani.

Top Bottom