• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ObsCure & ObsCure 2: Aftermath coming to Steam

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
obscure_wallpapers_2_by_darkcapilla_d67q4q2.jpg

ObsCure on Steam Trailer

ObsCure 2: The Aftermath on Steam Trailer

ObsCure and its sequel, ObsCure 2: Aftermath, have been announced to be coming on Steam with an updated PC release (which now includes things such as 16:9 support, controller support, and other unannounced features). The news comes from the studios social feeds, and a few details coming from Destructoid.

Prices have not been announced, but it has been confirmed we'll be seeing the games sooner than later, as both games release on Steam on March 7th.

For those who don't know what the ObsCure games are, they are survival-horror games that follow in-line with things like the older Resident Evil games, but taking place in a school setting with a lot of stereotypes at play (things like the 'super nerd', 'exploitable slut who gets killed first', 'crazed axe murderer chasing you through the woods', sort of thing), which also featured local co-op (would love online co-op to be announced, but not holding my breath). They have grown on to be sort of niche cult titles for fans of the genre.

41373_gb_news.jpg

Both games also have a pretty good soundtrack, composed by Olivier Deriviere, who may also be known as the person who composed the music for Alone in the Dark 5, Remember Me, and Assassin's Creed IV: Freedom Cry.

However, one interesting thing to note is that the studio who made ObsCure went down the tube, but the studio revived itself as a more independent studio with a lot of the team members who worked on the ObsCure games, They chipped in money together and bought their IP back from their old publisher, and now are free to do with it as they please. They released Final Exam on digital services last year, which is a side-scrolling beat-em up spin-off of the ObsCure franchise.

Loving all of these old games releasing on Steam recently, and approve of the movement as a horror enthusiast..

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
One of these days, there'll be a board meeting at WBIE, and someone will say, "Guys, with all these belated ports and re-releases enjoying success on Steam, we should get Vin to sign off on a digital-only re-release of Whelman. Also, we should give that JaseC a key for Arkham Asylum vanilla because denying his request for one was really stupid."

Dusk Golem

I can't find them on Steam?

They release on Steam on March 7th. If their pages get put-up before release is to be seen, but they're not up yet.

I haven't actually played either game, but been meaning too. This is a fantastic opportunity on that accord.

wazoo

One day, Nocturrne will be rereleased on steam with proper win7 support.

That day, angels will fall from the sky because heaven location has changed.

Dusk Golem

5 bucks and I'll bite ASAP. Second one has some kind of CO-OP right?

ObsCure 2: Aftermath had co-op in all version, ObsCure 1 had co-op in its PC version, though the version was shoddy in other ways. So both should have local co-op, as these are updated ports. Again, I have a secret hope they might have online play (as their newest game, Final Exam, is a online co-op game, and a spin-off of ObsCure), but I am not crossing my fingers for it.

ObsCure 2: Aftermath had co-op in all version, ObsCure 1 had co-op in its PC version, though the version was shoddy in other ways. So both should have local co-op, as these are updated ports. Again, I have a secret hope they might have online play (as their newest game, Final Exam, is a online co-op game, and a spin-off of ObsCure), but I am not crossing my fingers for it.

I played Obscure 1 in local coop on PS2, and was fantastic!

Local co-op survival horror?? Well now I'll definitely pick these up.

we should give that JaseC a key for Arkham Asylum vanilla because denying his request for one was really stupid."

Wait, you didn't get a key for it when everyone was 'ported' over?
Or you don't want the GOTY edition?
Or you want the retardation I have (image relevant)?
retarded_zps63dcb965.jpg

Dusk Golem

I played Obscure 1 in local coop on PS2, and was fantastic!

Ah, that's interesting. I haven't played either yet (though have played Final Exam), but plan to pick these up. I have heard from most that have played the games in co-op that they're pretty fun.

Obligatory Obscure 1 and Obscure 2 Amazing OST Post:

Obscure I - Empty School
Obscure I - Final Fight

Obscure II - Corruption With Rage And Melancholy
Obscure II - Bad Behaviour
Obscure II - Ballets of Deads

By Olivier Deriviere, composer of Remember Me and AssCreed Freedom Cry

Thank you for doing this, I wanted to in the OP but thought it might be unrelated. But yes, both games have amazing soundtracks. Corruption with Rage and Melancholy is one of my favorites, but some favorites I could mention as well. For those who don't mind lower-key ambient songs:

ObsCure 2 - Melancholy
ObsCure 2 - Save My Soul
ObsCure 2 - Hearing Fearies

Bluth54

Wait, you didn't get a key for it when everyone was 'ported' over?
Or you don't want the GOTY edition?
Or you want the retardation I have (image relevant)?
retarded_zps63dcb965.jpg

If you owned the Normal version of AA or AC like I did you got the GotY edition for free since that was the only version updated with Steamworks. If you only owned the GotY edition they didn't give you the normal version.

I remember reading about Obscure 1 in a magazine back when it was originally released. Can't you choose from playable characters with different abilities?
Might bite if it isn't too expensive.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If you owned the Normal version of AA or AC like I did you got the GotY edition for free since that was the only version updated with Steamworks. If you only owned the GotY edition they didn't give you the normal version.

That was the original intention, though. The key redemption issues gave enough time for WB to change its mind:

I e-mailed WB asking if I could receive a key for Asylum vanilla if I were to buy a retail copy and provide proof of purchase, explaining that I realise it's no longer being supported and simply wanted it for the sake of having it, but was basically told "stiff biscuits". I then searched eBay for Nvidia promo keys, but unsurprisingly there were none to be found as it was run when the game launched back in 2009; I even tried PM'ing Andy, Nvidia's rep here on GAF, but again in what was a shock to nobody he said that the key database had nothing left in it.

The only option I have left is to submit another support ticket to WB and ask that it be raised with a manager, but I don't hold high hopes of getting a different response should I bother. On the other side of the spectrum, though, Exor Studios was happy to give me a Steam key for the original Zombie Driver (plus the Summer of Slaughter DLC), and I'm currently waiting for Longbow to get back to me with a Steam key for Hegemony: Philip of Macedon, both of which, like Aslyum vanilla, were long ago replaced with re-releases. (See, WB? It's not that unreasonable a request.)

Sweet, It is so nice to see ObsCure back, I remember playing it once way back, can't remember if it was Obscure 1 or 2, and got stuck in a part and left it all together, shame on me.

But still the devs is doing a great thing by bringing it back, hopefully they can also bring them to the consoles space, that be PS4/X1, PS3/X360, or both.

Yes, I know. Thats why I have the GOTY editions in that screenshot.

I e-mailed WB asking if I could receive a key for Asylum vanilla if I were to buy a retail copy and provide proof of purchase, explaining that I realise it's no longer being supported and simply wanted it for the sake of having it, but was basically told "stiff biscuits".

So... I still don't understand, you didn't get AA:GOTY?
Or you want a seperate entry for AA as for AA: GOTY?

Yeah buy this people. They are relatively short, but great fun in co-op. A lot of intentional cheese which I love (basically The Faculty the game). Awesome that they managed to buy the IP back, heard the news when the studio went down and was pretty sad.

XOMTOR

Good to hear, I may have to grab these. I played Obscure: The Aftermath on PSP and I quite enjoyed it. Graphically one of the more impressive titles for the system.

Dusk Golem

I remember reading about Obscure 1 in a magazine back when it was originally released. Can't you choose from playable characters with different abilities?
Might bite if it isn't too expensive.

I have heard as such, though I also think I recall a mention that the character isn't always decided by you due to story purposes.

I remember these!

RE gameplay with Hollywood school-setting horror stereotypes.

Not a bad way to describe them. I was surprised to find the developers are apparently French, as it seems really rooted in cheesy American Teen Horror.

Yeah buy this people. They are relatively short, but great fun in co-op. A lot of intentional cheese which I love (basically The Faculty the game). Awesome that they managed to buy the IP back, heard the news when the studio went down and was pretty sad.

I did too. They made one original game right now and are working on something, but just them being so small and being able to buy back their old IP is fascinating.

I remember seeing the 1st one in a magazine way back when it was originally released. Never got around to playing it but that's probably gonna change now. Glad that it's coming to Steam. Thanks for the heads up !

Dusk Golem

Wait, does this even have multiplayer?

Both the original game and the sequel had local co-op in them. It was better implemented in the second game than the first game, but you can see a video of the co-op in the first game here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChO6GG_ItWk

I'm crossing my fingers for online co-op, but I also don't think it's gonna happen on account the studio is small and putting stable online code for this might be difficult. The co-op partner doesn't even appear until about 10 minutes into the game, and there's not really a chapter system. It could be done, and I would love it to happen, but I have my doubts about it, especially with these ports so close to release. You'd think if they had added online co-op to the game it'd be a big selling point to mention along with 16:9 and Xbox Controller support.

But maybe after release if it sells well and they see demand? Their last game (which released last year and is a spin-off of ObsCure) Final Exam has online co-op. And they did respond and fix things people had issues with or were requested in the game post-release.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

I came here to mention The Faculty. :)

My teenage daughter and her friend had a ball with these games. Yes, I know they are rated M. They are teen slasher flicks in game form, and really well done as such.

No online play, no buy... so please have online play !

Don't think of it like a remake or an HD remaster. Think of it like a PS2 Classic, except the original developers get the money.

I came here to mention The Faculty. :)

My teenage daughter and her friend had a ball with these games. Yes, I know they are rated M. They are teen slasher flicks in game form, and really well done as such.
Haha that's awesome. Nice to see that our taste in games or what we let into our house seems to match up pretty nicely. Not many people would know and recommend both this and Beyond :D

Totally, and I recognized you too. Clearly another fine connoisseur!
Damn right!

giphy.gif

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Totally, and I recognized you too. Clearly another fine connoisseur!

I hope they put these up on PSN. Obscure was a random find at the game store back in the day. God bless that glorious PS2 era diversity and abundance of hidden gems.

Obscure holds a place in my heart as a great bad game.

Obscure 2 is garbage but it's the garbage sequel movie you'd want to watch anyway.

Dusk Golem

Obscure holds a place in my heart as a great bad game.

Obscure 2 is garbage but it's the garbage sequel movie you'd want to watch anyway.

My non-existent as-of-yet opinion aside, not a bad comparison. Especially with the co-op, and many saying it can be very fun time with friends.

Top Bottom