• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian and Paradox announce Tyranny (New IP, Isometric RPG, #WhatIfEvilWon)

DKa39ks.png

http://www.tyrannygame.com/

Trailer

Steam page

Isometric, set in a world where good and evil fought and evil won.

Sometimes, evil wins

You are a Fatebinder

You are the judge and executioner of Kyros’ law, acting under the watchful eye of the Overlords Archon of Justice, Tunon the Adjudicator (pictured right) Your words shape the lives of thousands. Will you use that power to bring justice and inspire loyalty? Or will you bring fear and cruelty to the beaten people of the Tiers?

In Tyranny, the grand war between good and evil is over – and the forces of evil, led by Kyros the Overlord, have won. The Overlord’s merciless armies dominate the face of the world, and its denizens must find their new roles within the war-torn realm. Players interact with the population of the populace to inspire loyalty, disgust, or fear as they roam the world as an officer in Kyros’ forces, empowered to act as both judge and executioner.

Features:

A branching narrative with a unique story in an original setting: The Battle between good and evil has already taken place, and evil stands victorious.
Choices matter - a different player experience every time you play it - As an Officer in the Overlord’s army you wield a vast amount of power in the occupied lands of the Tiers. Will you use that power to inspire stability and loyalty, or will you be a feared oppressor?
Challenging, classic RPG combat with modern mechanics and presentation
A rich original setting - a completely new and original fantasy world with rich lore and many paths to follow

From the website...

You are a fatebinder
You are the judge and executioner of Kyros’ law, acting under the watchful eye of the Overlords Archon of Justice, Tunon the Adjudicator (pictured right) Your words shape the lives of thousands. Will you use that power to bring justice and inspire loyalty? Or will you bring fear and cruelty to the beaten people of the Tiers?

The choice is yours
A Fatebinder’s word is law, and you decide the fate of the Tiers. Even the smallest of choices shape the land and its people. Tasked with making decisions that truly matter to theTiers and to the factions of Kyros’ army, you will develop a reputation based upon your deeds -- and you will find the world a drastically changed place each time you play Tyranny.

The world of the tiers
The armies of Kyros the Overlord subjugated the Tiers. Now, the survivors of the war must adapt to a new rule, and keep the land productive for Kyros’ empire. Freely explore and experience a world where the war between good and evil has forever changed society. How will you shape it further?

DKa39ks.png

Beth Cyra

Yay new Obsidian and Evil wins.

Sad for Iso, I know people dig it but I just can't do those gf ames.

Still hope it turns out good for them.

duckroll

Cool announcement. New IPs are the best. Do we know who's working on this yet? Is it a Sawyer game? Writers?

If it's a 2016 game... I wonder if it's smaller in scope or episodic in some way... seems early for a new full fledged Obsidian RPG.

Durante

Cool announcement. New IPs are the best. Do we know who's working on this yet? Is it a Sawyer game? Writers?

If it's a 2016 game... I wonder if it's smaller in scope or episodic in some way... seems early for a new full fledged Obsidian RPG.
In a way I hope it's smaller in scope if it's actually coming this year, how the hell am I ever going to find the time to play all these great RPGs?

#rpgrenaissanceproblems

kulapik

On steam already:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/362960

In Tyranny, the grand war between good and evil is over – and the forces of evil, led by Kyros the Overlord, have won. The Overlord’s merciless armies dominate the face of the world, and its denizens must find their new roles within the war-torn realm. Players interact with the population of the populace to inspire loyalty, disgust, or fear as they roam the world as an officer in Kyros’ forces, empowered to act as both judge and executioner.

Features:
A branching narrative with a unique story in an original setting: The Battle between good and evil has already taken place, and evil stands victorious.
Choices matter - a different player experience every time you play it - As an Officer in the Overlord’s army you wield a vast amount of power in the occupied lands of the Tiers. Will you use that power to inspire stability and loyalty, or will you be a feared oppressor?
Challenging, classic RPG combat with modern mechanics and presentation
A rich original setting - a completely new and original fantasy world with rich lore and many paths to follow

adj_noun

Neat.

duckroll

"Challenging, classic RPG combat with modern mechanics and presentation"

This is a collection of words. But the meaning eludes me.

Nzyme32

Totally in love with paradox at the moment. As well as everything else, this game has a really interesting premise. Looks like exactly what I'm looking for!

So XANDER CAGE mentioned this, and I see it now with the classical history aesthetic and evil empire concept, but it feels like an extension of the ideas behind Caesar's Legion in New Vegas, except they won and you're working for them.

Epcott

Fatebinder? Sounds like a Brandon Sanderson book. I hate isometric games but this actually sounds interesting.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
A game focused on evil hopefully gives me the option to be evil but not just a rude asshole.
Always hated that in Kotor. Let me be some cool evil dude, not just somebody who's an asshole to everybody.

Durante

"Challenging, classic RPG combat with modern mechanics and presentation"

This is a collection of words. But the meaning eludes me.
Challenging: it's not easy
Classic: it's not action-based
Modern mechanics and presentation: you don't need to guess spell ranges, the UI shows them

aww, isometric. I find it really hard to get into those kind of games :( oh well, maybe it'll be one of the very few that'll click

Sou Da

So XANDER CAGE mentioned this, and I see it now with the classical history aesthetic and evil empire concept, but it feels like an extension of the ideas behind Caesar's Legion in New Vegas, except they won and you're working for them.

I was just about to say this actually.

Arulan

Looks great and the premise alone is interesting enough. Now I just need to find time to play all these RPGs, not to mention everything else. A good problem to have though.

Top Bottom