• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian devs recreate Star Wars Mos Eisley spaceport in Unreal Engine 4

Headed by Jason Lewis, a total of 17 devs of varying rank are using the project to learn more about the engine, but of course being self-confessed “super Star Wars nerds” makes the undertaking that bit easier. Speaking to 80.lv, Lewis says he first started out with the desire to craft a three dimensional Millennium Falcon, however things quickly spiralled as the project grew in scope.

“Originally it was just going to be the Falcon sitting in Docking Bay 94 so I could run around and look at it in real-time," says Lewis. "Then I thought it would be neat to add the interior to the docking bay, and then maybe some of the surrounding Mos Eisley city, then I thought ‘hey, let’s put the Mos Eisley Cantina in as well!’

4rkg3zAqrf9b9cQ2sRWP4a.jpg

http://www.pcgamer.com/obsidian-devs-recreate-star-wars-mos-eisley-spaceport-in-unreal-engine-4/

Anton668

Building 'Star Wars' in Unreal Engine 4

Also, if you would like to download it and enjoy it first hand, please feel free to do so. It is a bit system intensive we recommend a minimum of 16GB of system RAM and at least an Nvidia GTX760 or AMD equivalent to run at acceptable frame rates. For high frames rates and / or resolutions of 2560 x 1440 or 2560 x 1600, we recommend at least an Nvidia GTX970or higher, or AMD equivalent.

Sotha_Sil

Interesting going back to the original videos on his youtube page.

Getting some Unreal 4 experience for..... Vampire: The Masquerade? Dare I say it?

Poor Obsidian. They obviously still want to work on SW and Bioware isn't what they used to be.

EA give them the green light for KOTOR 3 plz. We can pretend SWTOR never happened :)

I wonder if theyre using this as a sort of sly portfolio to try and coax disney into giving them a SW project. Imagine a new canon KOTOR with graphics like this.

I wonder if theyre using this as a sort of sly portfolio to try and coax disney into giving them a SW project.

This is apparently an exercise to get the team up to speed with Unreal Engine 4. This was made by a total of 17 people. But you never know? Maybe they put this out to try and get Disney's attention?

This is apparently an exercise to get the team up to speed with Unreal Engine 4. This was made by a total of 17 people. But you never know? Maybe they put this out to try and get Disney's attention?

Oh yes I'm aware of the story and I'm sure it's still true, I just mean it may serve a sly dual purpose. To get acquainted with UE4 and to get Disney's attention.

Boss Mog

You can download it and play it. There's links in the Youtube video. The guy says it isn't optimized at all though and so load time is long. It's 7.4GB.

JediLink

Pleeeeeaaaaase Kotor 3. 2 was so good. I want to see what Obsidian can really do with the license without being screwed over by executive meddling this time.

Anton668

16gb of RAM???

I was running it with 8 and was getting by.
just for the hell of it I grabbed another 8 outa my kids PC (he hasnt used it in months) just to be on the safe side so...

16GB ram

I'll run fraps later and see what my fps is

Erevador

Their nuanced take on Star Wars morality was extremely interesting in KOTOR II.

Would love to see them get their hands on this world again.

ive said it a million times in my headd

OT Game with extra missons and side missons not seen in the movie. Like a mx of kotor and GE mission structure. This is sort of that without the missions of course..

Going aroundd cloud city etc in uber detail... ohh my . Tons of missons from the movie plus side quests oh my. carbonite chamber etc oh my

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
How to run it in VR.

Download the project from one of the 4 mirrors in the article OR from my MEGA link: https://mega.nz/#!glRC3abC!yYU8mkSsj1kbCBbUM6VhO2EEslciy0EUEfYxyq0rkEE
Once the download finishes extract it to a folder of your choice.
Open up your games library in steam, and then click add non-steam game.
Browse to where you extracted your files and then click on Mos_Eisley_Main_A.exe
Click add selected programs, and then right click on the game in steam and go to properties.
Click SET LAUNCH OPTIONS... and then add this to the text field: -vr
Click ok, close, and then launch the game from steam.

From this thread on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/523fao/experience_mos_eisley_in_vr/

The pics are way over sharpened but the footage is breathtaking. Obsidian deserves a shot with with the IP. I was smiling while watching the vids. The thought of KOTOR 3 or a new Jedi Knight game looking like this....

kabel

Xeon E3-1230v3
16GB DDR3
RX 470 8GB

Runs with 30-40FPS@everything maxed out@1080p

Looks great but I don't like the pp: too sharp and this horrible film grain...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've just walked around Mos Eisley in VR. It was stunning.

KainXVIII

Not bad, but i don't like stock UE4 effects which most of developers use in every project (like heavy lens flares and dust screen effects), remember the time when all UE3 games looks similar?

Nice find lol

sw1zs25.png

Top Bottom