• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian hiring for Unreal Engine 4 experience, presumably for an unannounced game

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Armored Warfare: CryEngine 3
Pathfinder, Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny: Unity

That would leave this as a new project.

Obsidian said:
Lead Character Artist
Obsidian Entertainment is looking for talented, self-motivated Lead Character Artist to join our growing team of RPG developers.

The Lead Character Artist position requires a solid understanding of current AAA-quality art, consistent character design, art pipelines, and current game console criteria and their limitations on memory and performance. This person understands the value of the production schedule and how to fit project goals within it. This is a hands-on position, by which he or she will set an example through exceptional asset creation, understanding current character art technologies, tools pipelines and interdepartmental dependencies. The Lead Character Artist will help to implement required production methods to guarantee the highest quality result, in an efficient and timely manner.

Requirements:
High proficiency of a major 3D software (3dsMax or Maya), Z-Brush, Substance Designer / Painter and Photoshop, and Marvelous Designer
Excellent High and Low poly modeling skills, as well as demonstrable skill with texture and shader creation within a PBR pipeline
Strong knowledge of human and animal anatomy, materials and garb
Solid grasp of color theory and lighting techniques for quality presentation and the best player experience
6+ years in the game industry with 3 shipped titles and 1 shipped title as a Lead Character Artist
Ability to rapidly master proprietary tools and development pipelines
Ability to be resourceful and come up with creative solutions
Ability to be receptive to art direction and critiques from project art leads
Strong foundation in traditional art
Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively coordinate with producers, programmers, designers, as well as artists.
Strong organizational, supervisory and mentoring skills
Passion for gaming
Pluses:
Exceptional visual and technical understanding of 3D modeling and texturing of characters and creatures
Experience with Epic's Unreal Engine 4
Knowledge of photogrammetry techniques
Knowledge of rig creation and skinning of verts
Character and prop concepting skills
Scripting experience in MaxScript Python or MEL
Background in portrait painting, Photography or Cinematography

Responsibilities:
Provide strong leadership and thoughtful direction
Create (Sculpt, Model, UV, texture and create materials) AAA quality characters and creatures
Provide creative and technical direction to character artists
Set the tone for character creation using advanced techniques, including Substance Designer and Painter
Work closely with Creative Director and Lead Artist to ensure the visual target is always exceeded and stylistically consistent
Actively participate in technical and aesthetic problem solving discussions for the entire project
Coordinate with tools and technology teams to develop necessary solutions for creating the best characters possible
Review assets to make certain that they satisfy their intended design and are ready for rigging and animation
Create and maintain a transparent and reliable schedule that is well coordinated with production
Mentor artists by providing creative and technical training, guidance, and feedback
The Lead Character Artist is a supervisor of skilled people and will be responsible for reviewing and interviewing potential candidates, training them, assigning work to them, as well as appraising employee performance and resolving interpersonal and performance issues.
Source: https://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/art/930-lead-character-artist

~Kinggi~

Banned
Could be switching to Unreal 4 for the new Pillars. Didnt InExile switch to Unreal for Wasteland 3 and Bards Tale or did i get that wrong?

Both Obsidian and InExile have shared tech before.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Could be switching to Unreal 4 for the new Pillars. Didnt InExile switch to Unreal for Wasteland 3 and Bards Tale or did i get that wrong?

Both Obsidian and InExile have shared tech before.

For Bards Tale yes, for Wasteland 3 they're just on a newer version of Unity.

Stiler

*crosses fingers* I hope it's for a new Vampire/White wolf rpg game.

Would be a downright crime if Paradox didn't let them make a new one , especially since Obsidian has both Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky (two of the three founders of Troika games).

A new vampire rpg on unreal 4, oh man it could be glorious.

6ADLV4r.gif

PnCIa

They wanted to make a huge Skyrim-sized RPG for years from what i can remember. Maaaaaybe they finally got some funding.

xealo

What everyone hopes it will be:
Sequel to VtM Bloodlines

What it will be:
Some obscure VR title

It could be given how good of a relationship Paradox seems to have with Obsidian and that RPG survey of theirs that went out a while ago. Probably just a pipe dream though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If that is happening, then they would have long started working on that.

The current question is what they may be working on now other than Pillars and Tyranny.

The implication from many of their interviews is that something like 150 of their 200+ staff are still on Armored Warfare, and that's the project they're hiring the most for as well.

Feargus was clear that he wanted to move off the project, or at least people off the project, in the near future, but that they had to get a publisher to actually sign off on a large enough project to do that. This is presumably the project they're trying to pitch to publishers.

Ushay

They wanted to make a huge Skyrim-sized RPG for years from what i can remember. Maaaaaybe they finally got some funding.

A new IP in the AAA space would be sweet, I've always enjoyed Obsidian's writing. Didn't they have this project 'Stormlands' in the pipeline for Microsoft as an exclusives which then fizzled, if I remember correctly it was pre-Phil Spencer era? Perhaps they got this one back?

Whatever it is, I'm game.

Radogol

A new IP in the AAA space would be sweet, I've always enjoyed Obsidian's writing. Didn't they have this project 'Stormlands' in the pipeline for Microsoft as an exclusives which then fizzled, if I remember correctly it was pre-Phil Spencer era? Perhaps they got this one back?

Whatever it is, I'm game.

I believe Stormlands became Tyranny.

Top Bottom