• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian working on a new RPG to be announced "in the next few months"

Farks!

In an interview with Game Informer, Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian, was asked about the cancelled RPG they were doing for Microsoft (called "Stormlands" according to some sources) and revealed that it's been given new life with another publisher and is to be revealed within the coming months.

Source

Obsidian is so weird.

They make CRPGs (Pillars), Action RPGs (New Vegas), Turn based RPGs (Stick of Truth), third person shooters (Alpha Protocol) and MMOs (Armored Warfare) among others.

I love them. Just wish they were doing Fractured but Whole.

Ubisoft publishing?

Gut says Square or Ubisoft but I'm hoping it's Devolver.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm trying to think of who would be willing to publish something like this in 2015.

I guess Deep Sikver and Warner still publish external studios.

ZeniMax hasn't in a while to my knowledge. EA and Activision generally want mega hits. Most of the Japanese publishers would no longer spend this kind of money outside maybe Square, but even they're pretty shy with external developers now.

enemy2k

Good news, Obsidian makes good RPGs although they are usually very buggy. Hopefully they can remedy the bugs and make a great RPG that allows them to fund their next game.

I'm trying to think of who would be willing to publish something like this in 2015.

I guess Deep Sikver and Warner still publish external studios.

ZeniMax hasn't in a while to my knowledge. EA and Activision generally want mega hits. Most of the Japanese publishers would no longer spend this kind of money outside maybe Square, but even they're pretty shy with external developers now.

Devolver Digital is an entirely legitimate option with their growth as a publisher.

Unless the game has really changed I don't think they can afford $40+ million when they normally fund $400,000.

It's entirely possible the game has seen major reconstructions giving the changing of hands in publishers, I suppose?

I just want whoever they go with to give them full creative freedom and a decent budget.

Rosur

Yeah I was thinking this.

Gotta be one of them.

And... I guess it's possible Sony would wanna publish something Microsoft dropped? Just to be assholes?

maybe depends how it looks and Obsidian pitched though have a feeling it will be at The Game Awards and someone like Deep Silver/ WB or Paradox publishing.

adj_noun

Transcript:

"We took that pitch...and we actually pitched a different game. We went around and we came up with some new ideas, we changed how it was and a lot of the publishers said this feels a lot like the one we pitched before.

And we said "you're right," and if there was any super low point at the studio, that was the lowest point. We had gone out on the road, spent money going out on the road, and now we've come back with no product. And that's where Eternity started, instead of spending any more effort on this thing, just have people work of Pillars of Eternity.

But we still had that pitch around, and we talked to a publisher. We talked to a publisher about the ideas, we re-purposed it, and oddly a publisher signed it, sort of in a different form, and that should get announced in the next few months."

maybe depends how it looks and Obsidian pitched though have a feeling it will be at The Game Awards and someone like Deep Silver/ WB or Paradox publishing.

Paradox makes a ton of sense obviously. But I dunno whether they'd partner as a funding publisher.

Paradox just took PoE to shelves, didn't they?

kswiston

My guess would also be one of the smaller publishers. Obsidian games sell well enough on PC to take a risk funding a scaled down project.

Honestly, I don't see them getting a AAA title going forward.

adj_noun

BkfOp53.png

Whether or not it's this, this tweet never fails to make me happy.

The world needs more World of Darkness RPGs, darn it.

Ushay

Hopefully they have a proper budget this time, these guys have some serious storytelling chops. Looking forward to it.

FHIZ

Elder Scrolls New Tamriel.

Yesterday, I was actually just randomly thinking of that possibility of them, or someone putting out a new ES game to sort of quench the thirst between now and 2020 or 2021 when ES VI comes out. Obviously not happening, but I wouldn't hate it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My guess would also be one of the smaller publishers. Obsidian games sell well enough on PC to take a risk funding a scaled down project.

Honestly, I don't see them getting a AAA title going forward.
If it's a $4 million project now, then yes there are way more options.

Top Bottom