• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Obsidian's 10th project - codename "Virginia"

butsomuch

Member
Jul 22, 2005
1,150
0
0
Cochey Cantu's resume (ex-Obsidian artist and currently lead artist at Blind Squirrel Games)
Project Virginia (2011 Release)
- Helped identify visual style
- Led a small team of artists to accomplish artistic goals
- Worked under tight deadlines to get small internal project in order for release

Feargus Urquhart interview
As we stopped working on Alpha Protocol in late summer of [2009] everybody transferred over either to a private internal product we're making right now - which I want to talk to you about soon - or they went to Dungeon Siege III

Obsidian Signs With DDM Talent Agency
"We are excited to have DDM as a partner, to not only help us succeed in the business of making games, but also to help us move toward new opportunities in the free-to-play, downloadable and MMO spaces as well as the epic RPGs for current and future generation consoles we are known for developing," said Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart.

As Virginia is 10th state admitted to the Union, Project Virginia is Obsidian's 10th project.
- 6 shipped titles: KotOR2 (Delaware), NWN2 (Pennsylvania), MotB (Massachusetts), SoZ, AP (Georgia), FNV
- 2 cancelled projects: Seven Dwarves (New Jersey), Aliens: Crucible (Connecticut)
- 1 announced title in development: DS3

Probably this "small and private internal project" seems to be a downloadable game.
 
Feb 22, 2009
8,052
3
0
Obsidian and Black Isle project names are so mysterious and exciting. Maybe Virginia is going to be the final realisation of Jefferson that people have been waiting for so long for?
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
5
0
39
More Fun To Compute said:
Obsidian and Black Isle project names are so mysterious and exciting. Maybe Virginia is going to be the final realisation of Jefferson that people have been waiting for so long for?

It's unlikely. Jefferson is Black Hound, and JE Sawyer has said that he hasn't been able to work on it, nor will he be likely to continue working on it on a casual/personal basis because of his increased and expanded duties at Obsidian since he was promoted to director on Aliens (before it was canned), and subsequently made director of New Vegas.
 

Bernbaum

Member
Oct 28, 2007
7,365
0
0
I thoroughly look forward to an Obsidian game that's up to par with their standard for storytelling but isn't a buggy ball of shit.
 
Feb 22, 2009
8,052
3
0
duckroll said:
It's unlikely. Jefferson is Black Hound, and JE Sawyer has said that he hasn't been able to work on it, nor will he be likely to continue working on it on a casual/personal basis because of his increased and expanded duties at Obsidian since he was promoted to director on Aliens (before it was canned), and subsequently made director of New Vegas.

It's unlikely, but, pure speculation, if EA wanted Obsidian to create some DLC for Dragon Age then it might come up as an idea that would amuse Bioware.
 

butsomuch

Member
Jul 22, 2005
1,150
0
0
I don't know who is the design lead but the project director on Virginia is Zane Lyon as far as I know. He is basically an artist, not a designer or producer. It's like the project directors on Double Fine's two downloadable games are a lead animator and a lead artist,
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
5
0
39
butsomuch said:
I don't know who is the design lead but the project director on Virginia is Zane Lyon as far as I know. He is basically an artist, not a designer or producer. It's like the project directors on Double Fine's two downloadable games are a lead animator and a lead artist,

Cool, thanks. Every little bit of info is appreciated.
 

NIN90

Member
Apr 13, 2008
11,441
2
1,045
Germany
Interesting that they stopped working on Alpha Protocol in late summer '09.
The game released in June '10 :O

Edit: Oh, the art team stopped working? Guess that makes sense.
 
Aug 27, 2009
10,999
0
0
Bernbaum said:
I thoroughly look forward to an Obsidian game that's up to par with their standard for storytelling but isn't a buggy ball of shit.

That's never going to happen, they're like Troika in that regard.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
5
0
39
NIN90 said:
Interesting that they stopped working on Alpha Protocol in late summer '09.
The game released in June '10 :O

Edit: Oh, the art team stopped working? Guess that makes sense.

No, the entire team stopped working. AP was done by mid-2009, ready for a Fall release. Obsidian was done with the game and moved on to other projects. The delay was entirely up to Sega as the publisher, and their change in marketing and release plans.
 

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Sep 14, 2005
7,314
74
1,730
I'm a little scared--I don't want Obsidian to "move toward new opportunities" in the free-to-play/MMO spaces.
 

Clevinger

Member
Mar 8, 2006
15,093
0
0
to help us move toward new opportunities in the free-to-play, downloadable and MMO spaces

Uh oh. Hopefully the success of New Vegas will allow them to move back away from that.
 

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jan 29, 2008
36,140
8
0
Australia
One of my colleagues was really impressed with what Obsidian had done with DS3. For all their flaws, they're a really great developer.

I'd really love to see them do a World of Darkness game, or maybe pick up the Arcanum IP.
 
Feb 22, 2009
8,052
3
0
I think that they should make turn based tactical game based on Alpha Protocol where play the role of that Albatross fella. Commanding a squad of those goggles characters in missions could be good and some old characters could make a guest appearance as allies and enemies in missions. Could maybe even have an option to import save files. Sure fire AAA 10 million seller.
 
Oct 26, 2007
9,042
0
1,155
PA
EatChildren said:
One of my colleagues was really impressed with what Obsidian had done with DS3. For all their flaws, they're a really great developer.

I'd really love to see them do a World of Darkness game, or maybe pick up the Arcanum IP.
I would pre-order this decades in advance.
 

WyndhamPrice

Member
Apr 27, 2008
4,900
0
0
EatChildren said:
One of my colleagues was really impressed with what Obsidian had done with DS3. For all their flaws, they're a really great developer.

I'd really love to see them do a World of Darkness game, or maybe pick up the Arcanum IP.

This would make me so happy. Something like the spiritual successor to Bloodlines is #1 on my wishlist of games.
 

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Oct 8, 2006
19,066
0
0
WyndhamPrice said:
This would make me so happy. Something like the spiritual successor to Bloodlines is #1 on my wishlist of games.
i would have thought it impossible 5 years ago but you know what? After getting Star Wars, Aliens, and Fallout franchises to work with, i figure Feargus has some sort of unholy alliance with a Lower Plane being. i think the only thing that Obsidian could get that would shock me now would be an official RPG based around President Obama.