• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OCRemix releases Pokémon: The Missingno Tracks

I don't usually like game remixes. One reason why is because, a lot of the time, they seem to include that heavy metal guitar for no reason.

However, I feel like I should give this one a shot.

Nekofrog

Banned
Why would you do that? said:
I don't usually like game remixes. One reason why is because, a lot of the time, they seem to include that heavy metal guitar for no reason.

There's a perfectly good reason. You just don't like it.

Gravijah

Finally!

There are tons of game remixes that aren't metal. :p

Ilúvatar

Wow, you were right, electric guitar on the first track.

Suairyu

Banned
Yeah, the OCRemix regulation 2+ tracks of "same arrangement, swap out intended instrument for electric guitar AND PLAY IT FAST" are there, but there are a few gems tucked away inside.

EDIT - OH GOD the opening two tracks are even worse on a second playthrough. Just fucking terrible.

Murrah

Banned
I came for the Route 26 remix only to be disappointed, but all the halc ones plus the Ice Path remix made up for it

Ice Path doesn't get nearly enough love

Ilúvatar

Suairyu said:
EDIT - OH GOD the opening two tracks are even worse on a second playthrough. Just fucking terrible.

And you didn't even get to the "See who has the bigger Pokeballs" line, yet

Suairyu

Banned
Actually, let's play a game of spot the OCRemix tropes!

So the opening tracks have 'god awful metal version of original arrangement, no changes other than tempo' covered.

Third track has 'play the original 8bit music first, then transition into remix like you're the only one who has ever done it'. (It is a pretty boss remix of Palette Town, though, so no knock against the quality of the track)

Fourth track has both over-long intro with no relevance or tonal/melodic coherence with the rest of the track and vocals from people who aren't good at singing! That's double for your money! (lyrics are also terribles)
(OH GOD BIGGER POKEBALLS, okay, yeah - OH GOD OH GOD HE JUST DRAMATIC READ A POKEMON BATTLE)

Murrah

Banned
Suairyu said:
Actually, let's play a game of spot the OCRemix tropes!

So the opening tracks have 'god awful metal version of original arrangement, no changes other than tempo' covered.

Third track has 'play the original 8bit music first, then transition into remix like you're the only one who has ever done it'. (It is a pretty boss remix of Palette Town, though, so no knock against the quality of the track)

All of halc's songs on OCR are fantastic; one of my favorite remixers to ever hit the site. If you haven't already you should check out some of his other stuff if you're into chiptunes

Suairyu

Banned
Murrah said:
All of halc's songs on OCR are fantastic; one of my favorite remixers to ever hit the site. If you haven't already you should check out some of his other stuff if you're into chiptunes
Oh he's skilled alright, but an uninspired musical device is an uninspired musical device. It was a pointless and clichéd intro into a fantastic piece of music.

Heavy metal guitar doesn't need a reason, it's HEAVY METAL GUITAR.

Josh7289

Usually OCRemix tracks barely sound like the originals. They just take parts from them and stick them in new, original pieces. It's fine but I'm not a fan of their sound.

Lijik

Crewnh said:
I really loved OCR's DKC album, will listen to this.
This and portions of DKC2 are the only OCR albums I actually like.
The impressions of this album have already put me off (though I'll check out halc's track)

Suairyu said:
Yeah, the OCRemix regulation 2+ tracks of "same arrangement, swap out intended instrument for electric guitar AND PLAY IT FAST" are there, but there are a few gems tucked away inside.

Pretty much this, and I don't care how good a vocalist you/your friends are, please none of it, it's usually just really awkward. I always hate, too, when people just take a track and try to shove it into this "epic orchestra" kinda genre. More often than not it's just not very good, especially when there's more than one (this particular bit really soured the Chrono Trigger OCR album for me). You always have to wade through the usual dreck on these albums to get to the good stuff. (Though one notable exception, IMO, was the DKC2 comp, very few terrible trope-ish tracks on that one, solid mix project) HOWEVER what good stuff is there is usually very, very good.

That being said, I'll get around to listening to this later. Does this cover the whole series or just the OG Gen 1?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Grimm Fandango said:
The recent DKC2 album was great. But the Link's Awakening album was awful.

This. But it's not everyday you get Kirkhope and Wise in a collaboration.

Nekofrog

Banned
Mark me as someone who thought the DKC2 album was pretty terrible -- my song excluded (but I'm biased). But I'm of the opinion that a lot of OCR albums are awful, outside of my contributions. The FF4 album was probably scraping the bottom of the barrel.

But you guys are going to be surprised at some of the stuff we're working on now. I can honestly say, if you at all enjoy any of my stuff, what we have waiting in the wings is going to blow your socks off.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nekofrog said:
Mark me as someone who thought the DKC2 album was pretty terrible -- my song excluded (but I'm biased). But I'm of the opinion that a lot of OCR albums are awful, outside of my contributions. The FF4 album was probably scraping the bottom of the barrel.

But you guys are going to be surprised at some of the stuff we're working on now. I can honestly say, if you at all enjoy any of my stuff, what we have waiting in the wings is going to blow your socks off.

Way to diss your collaborators? Crocodile Cacophony was one of the absolute lamest songs on the DKC2 album for the record.

Downloading this now. I don't have high hopes but I do hope to find one or two favorites.

I've always been against the singing tracks, but A New Place and Us Monkeys Together made me think that exceptions can be made, some times.

Nekofrog

Banned
CrunchyFrog said:
Pretty much this, and I don't care how good a vocalist you/your friends are, please none of it, it's usually just really awkward.

If you find it awkward, that's your problem. Most of my remixes going forward will feature vocals of some kind (some already do). I don't see how it's "awkward" when regular songs have vocals in them.

N4Us said:
They should just put Mustin on every album.

Could, except Mustin is a total cockbag who pretty much is hated by a lot of people for being a jerk.

Nekofrog

Banned
Andrex said:
Way to diss your collaborators? Crocodile Cacophony was one of the absolute lamest songs on the DKC2 album for the record.

Downloading this now. I don't have high hopes but I do hope to find one or two favorites.

I've always been against the singing tracks, but A New Place and Us Monkeys Together made me think that exceptions can be made, some times.

Not collaberators, I didn't work with them on any music. Compilation effort, bro. If a song sucks, it sucks.

Crocodile Cacophony was meant to be a spoof of death metal, that's what I set out to make. Since death metal for the most part is pretty terrible to begin with, I think I achieved what I set out for.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nekofrog said:
Not collaberators, I didn't work with them on any music. Compilation effort, bro. If a song sucks, it sucks.

Crocodile Cacophony was meant to be a spoof of death metal, that's what I set out to make. Since death metal for the most part is pretty terrible to begin with, I think I achieved what I set out for.

Congrats on deliberately making a lame song then?

Top Bottom