• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes November 10th

How do we actually know there is one more update.

The last update was made on the 30th which obviously means the last week of sales hasn't been added because this month ends on the 31st. I'm kinda used to reading Amazon Charts since last year so I usually know when or when isn't the last update. I usually post the updates too :p

You're really reading into the monthly charts too much, aren't you? :p Anyway, I really think this month will be very similar to April.

When have I not? :p

It's the same reason Destiny continues to sell better on XB1 (non-bundles) despite the heavy marketing campaign by Sony.

But, Destiny does not sell better on XB1.My understanding is that PS4 moved more copies of Destiny when bundles are taken into account. NPD doesn't track bundles, so even though XB1 shows up as first place on the monthly NPD listings for Destiny over the PS4, it is not true that XB1 has sold more. And, unlike the MS 3rd party marketing deals, Sony's have translated to console sales. -- Destiny, Batman, MGS, and soon to be Battlefront.

Blanquito

But, Destiny does not sell better on XB1.My understanding is that PS4 moved more copies of Destiny when bundles are taken into account. NPD doesn't track bundles, so even though XB1 shows up as first place on the monthly NPD listings for Destiny over the PS4, it is not true that XB1 has sold more. And, unlike the MS 3rd party marketing deals, Sony's have translated to console sales. -- Destiny, Batman, MGS, and soon to be Battlefront.

Yeah, it seems really weird to say "Xbox is selling more copies of these games, if we completely disregard these other copies"

EGM1966

Yeah, it seems really weird to say "Xbox is selling more copies of these games, if we completely disregard these other copies"
I like that he actually noted that in his post yet didn't seem to think through the implications. IfvDestiny in US sells more in total across bundles and stand alone game sales then his argument is actually invalid.

Odd one.

Anyway third party sales on XB1 are surely good enough to secure support for all but certain genres and titles so the whole argument around that is moot. It's going to get skipped by say some JRPGs but all the current big franchises for sure will keep hitting the system.

Been working so much this week. What seems to be the consensus? PS4 taking October, or does Halo 5 put Xbox One back on top (albeit temporarily)?

Elandyll

Banned
Been working so much this week. What seems to be the consensus? PS4 taking October, or does Halo 5 put Xbox One back on top (albeit temporarily)?

Problem is, even though you have a PS4 SKU ahead on Amazon (when finally updated next week, perhaps as much as 2-4 spaces ahead), and 2x PS4 SKUs closing ranks behind the 1x XB1 SKU (but a bit further behind), you also have to account for the August pre orders of the Halo 5 bundle which then did quite well (but did not chart at all in September).

Then, you have to account with the anecdotal reports from Abdiel (with an awesome report, as usual) who says PS4 won pretty clearly in the districts he can check for Best Buy, and an (allegedly afaik) Gamestop employee who says that the local store he can get info from also report a PS4 win.

So ... a really tough call imo when trying to take everything in account.

I'm calling for a (narrow) PS4 win, but I think it could go either way (a win already for Sony if you will, considering how massive Halo is as a Franchise. MS's win in that regard is selling -possibly- so many bundles at a premium $499 price).

PS4 winning October would be the biggest shock of the generation to me. It shouldn't be possible. Halo is the Xbox's lead franchise and is the one that should push anyone sitting on the fence toward the system if they are fans of the franchise. If Destiny was able to push the PS4 to such a massive monthly lead ( when its not even a staple franchise for the console ), Halo should do similar for the Xbox.

So nah, I just can't see a regular PS4 month beating a Halo Xbox month. If it does, its going to get ugly in 2016 ( i see that happening anyway really )

[3DS] 100k
[PS4] 450k
[WIU] 80k
[XB1] 650k

PS4 winning October would be the biggest shock of the generation to me. It shouldn't be possible. Halo is the Xbox's lead franchise and is the one that should push anyone sitting on the fence toward the system if they are fans of the franchise. If Destiny was able to push the PS4 to such a massive monthly lead ( when its not even a staple franchise for the console ), Halo should do similar for the Xbox.

So nah, I just can't see a regular PS4 month beating a Halo Xbox month. If it does, its going to get ugly in 2016 ( i see that happening anyway really )

[3DS] 100k
[PS4] 375k
[WIU] 80k
[XB1] 650k

I definitely think Xbox One could win but there's no way it ends up being that big of a gap. Less than 100K in either direction IMO.

Boke1879

[3DS] 100k
[PS4] 375k
[WIU] 80k
[XB1] 650k

You're expecting 650k for the Xbox? I don't know man. Halo 3 did the best as far as moving consoles right? Over 500k?

I see your overall point though. Halo SHOULD propel the Xbox past Sony this month. The question is..How much? but we are dealing with different circumstances this year.

If the PS4 wins this month I doubt it's by a huge margin BUT a win is still huge and it would be shocking. The NPD will be a graveyard if that happens I predict.

If PS4 wins October it's almost right to assume they win out for the rest of the year and like you said 2016 is going to get ugly.

jjonez18

[3DS] 100k
[PS4] 375k
[WIU] 80k
[XB1] 650k

XB1 at 650k would require week in and week out domination at every retailer. October is 4 weeks, so historically, unless your the Wii, the best you can hope for is >500k. XB1 and Halo completely offsetting PS4 and a pricecut in one week is possible but going on to outsell it by ~300k is highly unlikely.

It's your prediction, but your XB1 numbers are out there.

As previously stated in the thread I believe the majority of the Halo players will have bought a Xbox One beforehand, some at launch just knowing that the game would come out sooner or later or any of the deals the past year (and for MCC). Therefore I think that the PS4 will take the month since a lot of people has waited for this 50$ drop, albeit by a small margin.

[3DS] 92k
[PS4] 405k
[WIU] 56k
[XB1] 401k

Ryng_tolu

Banned
You're expecting 650k for the Xbox? I don't know man. Halo 3 did the best as far as moving consoles right? Over 500k?

360 sold 528,000 unit in September NPD 2007.

MOM boost was +91%; the weekly boost was +53%.

Important note: August 2007 was the 360 price drop month, so, was not a normal month.

Boke1879

360 sold 528,000 unit in September NPD 2007.

MOM boost was +91%; the weekly boost was +53%.

Important note: August 2007 was the 360 price drop month, so, was not a normal month.

Yea I don't see 650k happening at all and I don't know if we've seen indications of it reaching 528k.

and again we're seeing a different situation this year. PS4 price drop happened this month that has been good to them. PS4 leading sales in NA..

EGM1966

Problem is, even though you have a PS4 SKU ahead on Amazon (when finally updated next week, perhaps as much as 2-4 spaces ahead), and 2x PS4 SKUs closing ranks behind the 1x XB1 SKU (but a bit further behind), you also have to account for the August pre orders of the Halo 5 bundle which then did quite well (but did not chart at all in September).

Then, you have to account with the anecdotal reports from Abdiel (with an awesome report, as usual) who says PS4 won pretty clearly in the districts he can check for Best Buy, and an (allegedly afaik) Gamestop employee who says that the local store he can get info from also report a PS4 win.

So ... a really tough call imo when trying to take everything in account.

I'm calling for a (narrow) PS4 win, but I think it could go either way (a win already for Sony if you will, considering how massive Halo is as a Franchise. MS's win in that regard is selling -possibly- so many bundles at a premium $499 price).
If PS4 takes Halo 5 release month... that's going to be the NPD thread to rule them all.

I guess a narrow win by XB1 would still seem damn weird after last gen.

Yet a lot of the available "clues" seem to point to one or other of these with little evidence of the big XB1 win I think seemed likely earlier in the year.

Boke1879

If PS4 takes Halo 5 release month... that's going to be the NPD thread to rule them all.

I guess a narrow win by XB1 would still seem damn weird after last gen.

Yet a lot of the available "clues" seem to point to one or other of these with little evidence of the big XB1 win I think seemed likely earlier in the year.

Best case Xbox wins by 100k which I don't know will happen. Even if they win by 50k it wont be anything substantial seeing as Sony themselves are slated to sell very well this holiday.

If PS4 wins I will be there for all of that NPD thread. I expect MS to win the software battle just because of halo 5 though.

Alo0oy

Banned
I like that he actually noted that in his post yet didn't seem to think through the implications. IfvDestiny in US sells more in total across bundles and stand alone game sales then his argument is actually invalid.

How so? More next gen owners were buying Destiny on XB1 than PS4, despite the PS4 having a higher install base AND an exclusive marketing deal, the PS4 SKU pulls ahead only if you include new next gen owners, which doesn't invalidate the previous point at all.

Without including the bundles, the PS4 still has a higher install base than XB1.

Ah damnit I didn't take into consideration the price drop.

675k feels high but when someone mentioned pre-orders of the bundle hitting as well as new console purchases, I pretty much put it in line with the PS4 Destiny month with all those pre-ordered white PS4 destiny.
bundles.

So like 450k for PS4? Something like that. Did we ever get a September overall number for PS4?

I just checked the September thread and it shows 550k for PS4? WOW. But that did have MGSV bundles and suich. So yeah, i think I'll stick with 450k for PS4.

So 450k PS4, 650k X1. Yeah. .... yeah .

[3DS] 100k
[PS4] 375k
[WIU] 80k
[XB1] 650k

650k ???? Really ???

If the Xbox does 650k I will eat my own dick

Damn yo, that Halo 5 bundle really did surprisingly well though, especially at that price point. I'm kind of amazed.

What a brand.

PS4 gonna need three different bundles to overcome the sales of a single $500 bundle.

This fucking guy

😂😭😂😭😂😭😂😭😂

How so? More next gen owners were buying Destiny on XB1 than PS4, despite the PS4 having a higher install base AND an exclusive marketing deal, the PS4 SKU pulls ahead only if you include new next gen owners, which doesn't invalidate the previous point at all.

Without including the bundles, the PS4 still has a higher install base than XB1.

I'm confused. Didn't Destiny sell more on PS4 with bundles included?

(strictly talking about NPD here, we know Destiny on PS4 is far beyond in WW figures)

Boke1879

I'm confused. Didn't Destiny sell more on PS4 with bundles included?

(strictly talking about NPD here, we know Destiny on PS4 is far beyond in WW figures)

I believe so and I think TKK sold more on PS4 if you include bundles as well.

I really wish we had digital numbers.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Final monthly update for October on Amazon. I feel a shock is in the offing:

#19 PS4 Nathan Drake Bundle (up 4)
#25 XB1 Halo Bundle (down 1)
#27 PS4 Star Wars Bundle (up 1)*
#43 PS4 TLOUR Bundle (down 3)
#44 PS4 Black Ops Bundle (up 5)*
#54 PS4 Destiny Bundle (down 6)
#84 XB1 Gears Bundle (up 10)

Chobel

It looks like Uncharted Collection bundle did really good this last week.

Conduit

Banned

As i said, Uncharted Collection bundle spent more time ahead of Halo 5 bundle than Halo 5 ahead of Uncharted Collection bundle on hourly charts. Now we see the total sum.

Do we know how much of the US market Amazon represents?

Boke1879

Do we know how much of the US market Amazon represents?

Not much. Gamestop represents the most follow by what I assume to be Walmart and then Best Buy.

But it has been a decent indicator as to who will win. We have a best buy insider that helps with predictions. Just wish we had someone from Gamestop to help with.

This will be a good test of Amazon's reliability. Not that it needs it, of course. PS4 will be taking next month.

I think 15 mil. sold trough is over exaggerated. Shipped very likely. Xbone is dead outside US/UK/Latin America.
I would like to know what being dead means since that's description many people use? Even when ratio is something crazy like in Germany, MS is still selling consoles.

This is interesting. I got the holiday Toys R Us catalog in the mail today and decided to look through it for nostalgia sake. I got to the video game section and I noticed they had the XB1 priced properly at $349.99 (with a free copy of Lego Movie The Game), but did not have any mention of a price drop for PS4. Instead all the were offering was a $399 PS4 with a free THPS5 (really?). My only assumption this was printed before the price drop, but still seems weird as it properly advertises all the Fall games and their release dates. Target's similar catalog did it better. The gave no prices and instead instructed customers to check their website for the most up to date prices on all systems.

Top Bottom