• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octopath Traveler [OT] Eight for one, one for eight

MomsNewBoyfriend

Neo Member
Or, it could be that the connections they did make made no sense to the narrative of CT and basically involved folks who were joke characters (Dalton) have a major role and Belthasar literally making an entire city so he could save a girl he kinda knew when he could have just gone back in time and stopped her disappearance from the beginning. There's so many plot holes in the connection between the two games and this doesn't even include the stuff that happens in the actual game. They take SO long to try to explain the connection and it has so little payoff that they shouldn't have bothered. It's just horrible, horrible writing.

Also, it didn't help that Crono Cross was an awful game and played nothing like the original

But, yes, I agree it's still technically a sequel.

I love chrono cross but the story is a complete mess- especially once you get to the dead sea. The whole schtick with time crash and dinopolis and chrono and friends being murked off screen but they're ghosts are small children for some reason and basically everything else that i'm not remembering, damn it tries its hardest to crap on the first game

hecatomb

Banned
Cross explains there are multiple universes. So in the end of chrono trigger for PS1 and DS, you see chrono and marle getting married. Though there is other parallel universe were all the chrono trigger characters died, but schala survived and Magus looses his memory, which would explain why you see the chrono characters as kids. Just makes the story more confusing then it has to be.

Last edited:
I just got this game this past weekend. I am going to start playing it this weekend. If I want to start as a Cleric class will it be difficult in the beginning or is that even possible?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I just got this game this past weekend. I am going to start playing it this weekend. If I want to start as a Cleric class will it be difficult in the beginning or is that even possible?
Don't worry about that. Start as who ever you want, the game is balanced around of choosing who you want start the advanture with.

Ulysses 31

Kinda glad there's no downside to stealing in this game, it definitely makes things easier. In Fallout games I usually don't go around stealing. >.>

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why does stealing bother you in Fallout when you can nuke the US again?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can’t beat Winheld the Warmaster. I can take his life down hslfway but he’s just evil. Wonder if the other two advanced job bosses are easier? Strategies to beat Winheld?

Using
Primrose/Scholar
Olberic/Sorceress
Therion/Cleric
Cyrus/Merchant

The fight was a cakewalk once I
got the Runelord class for Tressa. Transfer / Sidestep means all your characters can dodge X number of physical attacks with 100% accuracy.

Shifty1897

Octopath Traveler has a lot in common with Chrono Cross, now that I think about it. It's a game with stunning graphics, a masterful soundtrack, and a great battle system, but is held back by its terrible plot and lack of party interaction. It explains why I have a love/hate relationship with the game, even 72 hours in. It's still a great game, but it's agonizing to see a game that gets SO MUCH RIGHT get kept out of the discussions of the greatest JRPG's of all time because of a baffling design decision.

Narrative design flaws are no stranger to games from the Bravely Team. Maybe they'll learn their lesson before Bravely Third but I'm not holding my breath.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Alfyn is so powerful...

I use his Concoct to either restore SP to the party or add BP. Two turns of Concocting for BP and by the start of Turn 3 everyone in your party has 5 BP...

Combine that with Ophelia's "act twice per turn for 3 turns" and you can simply overwhelm your opponents with a superior number of turns. Works very well during bossfights.

Kinda glad there's no downside to stealing in this game, it definitely makes things easier. In Fallout games I usually don't go around stealing. >.>
Make sure to steal and horde the elemental crystals (Soulstones?) since they are useful in Challenge/Provoke as well as some of the later bossfights.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Over 60 hours of playing this, and I just learned I can hold down B to dash.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't had much time to play lately, but finished up my last chapter one (Ophilia) the other day. I'm still having a lot of fun with the game, though after finishing the 8 chapter one's I'm still left underwhelmed by the stories a bit other than Primrose and Olberic. Ophilia also seemed like a bad one to do last as she didn't gain much experience in her chapter (even with having the next two lowest leveled party members along for the ride--Primrose is my main). When I get time to play I'll probably wander around and grind some levels and try some of the level 20 caves I passed up before moving onto the chapter 2s so as to not end up under-leveled later.

I'm super swamped with work, trying to do a quick closing on buying a house and getting ready to head out of the country at the end of the month so I'm not sure if I'll get back to it before those long flights. I'm not looking to rush it anyway as I need to make this and some other games last a while as things like Spider-man will have to wait a bit for finances to stabilize after the home purchase and some minor needed repairs most likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danjin44

Do the warmaster last. Even with the other super skills, i took me twice to beat the warmaster. Cyrus and Olberic were my saviors. This is how it looked when I won:

FKM1zcJ_d.jpg
Wow. Only two survived!!!

Ka-Kui

I'm flip flopping on whether or not I should purchase this. Had it on pre-order then had my pre-order cancelled. Now I don't have anything to play at the moment.

Just a few questions, what's the censorship like? How long is the game? How good is the story?

Last edited:
I'm flip flopping on whether or not I should purchase this. Had it on pre-order then had my pre-order cancelled. Now I don't have anything to play at the moment.

Just a few questions, what's the censorship like? How long is the game? How good is the story?

The stories are dreadful and the game can be very long if you like exploring/grinding.

If story is a must for you I'd recommend steering clear of this game. I am not one to care about stories these days and even for someone like me, the stories make it difficult for me to pick the game up. Fights are fun but can be long and mentally draining since ordering everybody in optimal fashion demands paying attention and planning ahead.

Censorpship? What in the world are you talking about?

Last edited:

Ka-Kui

The stories are dreadful and the game can be very long if you like exploring/grinding.

If story is a must for you I'd recommend steering clear of this game. I am not one to care about stories these days and even for someone like me, the stories make it difficult for me to pick the game up. Fights are fun but can be long and mentally draining since ordering everybody in optimal fashion demands paying attention and planning ahead.

Thanks, story is a big deal for me so I guess I'll get this sometime later in the future.

Any kind of censorship, or even poor translation/localisatoon.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I played a fair bit of this yesterday. Finished doing a couple of the level 20 caves and got all characters up to at least level 24 or so. Primrose is my main and I think she is at 33. I saved in the middle of her chapter 2 as it got too late for me to finish it. That's the first chapter 2 I've started on and I'm 22-23 hours in already.

Danjin44

I highly disagree with you on that, I personally liked the individual stories especially for Primrose and Cyrus.

I also finally beat that boss in the "Forest of no return". Man, that boss has more HP than most Job bosses.

Edit:https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1030661727078105088 :pie_smfaceyes:

Last edited:

Danjin44

I was able to kill Runelord boss. That was much easier than I thought but then again using both Divine powers of Cleric and Scholar on my Cyrus with Sorcerer job is crazy OP. Its like his attacking 6 times and each attack does 9999 damage.

I would love to see this exact combat system used in more games. Hopefully with the success of this one, there will be more to come. I’m really loving this system.

Danjin44

Since I got Runelord job and put it on Tressa I might go and challenge Warbringer again. Using Run transfer and to give everyone in party sidestep, I might able to survive most of her attacks.

I would love to see this exact combat system used in more games. Hopefully with the success of this one, there will be more to come. I’m really loving this system.
Yeah, I LOVE the combat in this game. I love it as much as I love Press turn combat in SMT/Persona.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I finally able to beat Warbringer. Man giving Runelord job to Tressa made the entire fight much, Much easier. I was able to avoid 90% of her attacks thanks to Tressa's sidestep.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
What sort of team-combos have been working well for you? Do you find yourselves spending more time de-buffing the enemies or buffing your own team?

Dancer's Seduction Divine skill + Apothecary's Rehabilitate is pretty strong since it prevents future ailments. Apothecary (and Merchant) are both super-powerful support classes because they can just pump everyone full of BP for the first 2 turns and then you can simply overwhelm the enemy. Cleric's Divine "double-cast" spell + Dancer's Seduction + Merchant's BP skill also works well but requires a bit more setup.

Seems like certain classes are "must max" for the end-game content. Hunter's Patience (25% of a second action each turn) on the whole team is crazy-powerful, and Warrior's Limit Break (I forget what it's called; raises max dmg to 99,999) seems essential for the later bosses.

The "Dancer EXP/JP exploit" is also really fun and well-balanced. Do it often enough and you will get more EXP, but it's not a brainless exploit. You actually have to pay attention to avoid dying which seems like a fair tradeoff.

EDIT: progress update -- 88 hours in, just finished the last Ch.3, Haanit is highest lvl at 66 and Primrose is lowest at 44. Everyone else is in the mid-50s.

Last edited:

Danjin44

What sort of team-combos have been working well for you? Do you find yourselves spending more time de-buffing the enemies or buffing your own team?
I used this setup to beat Warbringer:
Cyrus Scholar/Sorcerer
Ophilia Cleric/Scholar
Olberic Warrior/Hunter
Tressa Merchant/Runelord

I used Hunter's Leghold Trap which will give me more time to set up and then I used Runelord's rune transfer and used Tressa Sidestep Skill which makes all party members avoiding most of Warbringer's attacks. Later on I will use both Scholar and Cleric divine powers on Cyrus which not only makes him attack 6 times but also with each attack he does the maximum damage.

jshackles

Can’t kill the Great Dire Wolf. Damn.

Same here. My team are all around level 80 now but this boss still kicks my ass every time. Seems harder than the final boss even.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I used this setup to beat Warbringer:
Cyrus Scholar/Sorcerer
Ophilia Cleric/Scholar
Olberic Warrior/Hunter
Tressa Merchant/Runelord

I used Hunter's Leghold Trap which will give me more time to set up and then I used Runelord's rune transfer and used Tressa Sidestep Skill which makes all party members avoiding most of Warbringer's attacks. Later on I will use both Scholar and Cleric divine powers on Cyrus which not only makes him attack 6 times but also with each attack he does the maximum damage.
Are you pumping your team full of BP or are you holding off until it charges up "naturally"?

Also, do you know if the Dancer cancels out the Scholar's Divine skill side-effect (only targets 1 enemy, but with boosted damage)?

Danjin44

Are you pumping your team full of BP or are you holding off until it charges up "naturally"?

Also, do you know if the Dancer cancels out the Scholar's Divine skill side-effect (only targets 1 enemy, but with boosted damage)?
I used items to give my team BP. I also not sure about if Dancer cancels scholars Divine skill.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I used items to give my team BP. I also not sure about if Dancer cancels scholars Divine skill.
Nice. I've been saving those items to combo with the Apothecary's "items affect all" Divine skill, but I use Apothecary's Concoct for BP anyway. I'll make sure to use them more as I get further into the game. Casting Divine skills by the end of Turn 1 is pretty handy, it turns out!

jshackles

Wow. Even a level 80. That’s crazy.

His "triple claw" skill (or whatever it's called) hurts everyone for about 1000-2000HP x 3. Transfer -> sidestep works well, but his "Lunar Howl" skill negates all my buffs (including both sidestep and transfer). Every time I've fought him, I get him down into the red where he's attacking three times per round, and it's usually Lunar Howl -> Triple Claw -> Swipe that ends up killing me off since it ends up doing around 6,000 damage to everyone. The only time I've had anyone survive that is using the passive skill to let the character heal over their HP amount and having them die beforehand and reviving them with a (L) healing item to bring them up to 9,999 HP. But even then, I've never been able to recover enough to do any serious damage.

Pejo

His "triple claw" skill (or whatever it's called) hurts everyone for about 1000-2000HP x 3. Transfer -> sidestep works well, but his "Lunar Howl" skill negates all my buffs (including both sidestep and transfer). Every time I've fought him, I get him down into the red where he's attacking three times per round, and it's usually Lunar Howl -> Triple Claw -> Swipe that ends up killing me off since it ends up doing around 6,000 damage to everyone. The only time I've had anyone survive that is using the passive skill to let the character heal over their HP amount and having them die beforehand and reviving them with a (L) healing item to bring them up to 9,999 HP. But even then, I've never been able to recover enough to do any serious damage.
Haven't fought it yet, but have you been using the overpowered Shackle skill (from thief) and Leghold Trap (from hunter)? I haven't run into anything yet that those skills didn't make so much easier, especially regarding 1round KOs. Being able to 1 or 2 round break most bosses makes things way easier.

Danjin44

When it comes to Olberic and his Divine skill (Brand’s Thunder), is it better to have an elemental or physical attack sword for max damage?
I think its physical attack because in its description it says "Unleash a tremendously powerful sword attack on a single foe" and swords attacks are considered as physical attacks.

Ulysses 31

So what lvl was your protagonist when you completed his/her chapter 4? At the rate I'm going my Olberic is going to be 15+ lvls higher than anyone else. >.>

Danjin44

So what lvl was your protagonist when you completed his/her chapter 4? At the rate I'm going my Olberic is going to be 15+ lvls higher than anyone else. >.>
I haven't finished my main character (Cyrus) 4th Chapter yet but his currently at level 61 and everybody else 48-50. Alfen is only one at level 41.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Still haven't touched the Ch.4s. Trying to clean up the side-quests (which can open up more quests in other cities) and the Purple chests from the Shrines and harder dungeons.

Got the Runelord (assigned to Tressa; lolbroken) and Starseer (assigned to Alfyn; also lolbroken).

Any advice against the Archmagus? He puts a nasty "no buffs allowed" on my whole team.

Shifty1897

I just got all the advanced jobs. Most of my characters are around level 59... What's the recommended level for the "final" boss?

Still haven't touched the Ch.4s. Trying to clean up the side-quests (which can open up more quests in other cities) and the Purple chests from the Shrines and harder dungeons.

Got the Runelord (assigned to Tressa; lolbroken) and Starseer (assigned to Alfyn; also lolbroken).

Any advice against the Archmagus? He puts a nasty "no buffs allowed" on my whole team.
Starseer has Celestial Intervention, which removes the "no buffs allowed" move on one person at a time. Also, Reflective Veil on your whole party will wear him down eventually.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Wow. I just got the Deathly Blade from the Forest of No Return. “Occasionally kills target instantly.” Not as strong as Harald’s Sword, but it’s tempting to have equipped
Is the effect per-hit?

I wonder what the % is for that effect and if there are ways to increase the likelihood of it happening...

Also curious if any enemies/bosses are immune to the effect.

Pejo

Wow. I just got the Deathly Blade from the Forest of No Return. “Occasionally kills target instantly.” Not as strong as Harald’s Sword, but it’s tempting to have equipped
I'd be curious what the proc rate is on that effect. I hadn't heard of that weapon before. If it's not too low, could really save some time on grinding up alt characters.

Top Bottom