• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octopath Traveler Review Thread

AlexxKidd

Octopath-Traveler.jpg

General Information
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: 13-Jul-2018
No. of Players: To be determined (Mod note: We know this looks silly, but it's what Nintendo says)
Genre(s): Role-Playing, Adventure
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Square Enix
Price (MSRP): $59.99 USD / $79.99 CAD / $79.95 AUD / £49.99 / 6,458円 / €59.99 / CHF 77.90 / R669.0 / 4199₽ / 1399 MXN
Official Website: https://octopathtraveler.nintendo.com/
Overview (from Nintendo eShop page)
Choose your fate. Eight stories await.
Eight travelers. Eight adventures. Eight roles to play in a new world brought to life by Square Enix. And now, you can enjoy all of them in the new demo. Step into the shoes and live the stories of each of the eight travelers and freely explore the world of Orsterra. Then, carry your choices and adventure into the main game with save data transfer.
Use each character’s special abilities in and out of battle. Break through enemy defenses by discovering and targeting weaknesses. Store Boost Points with each turn and then spend them at strategic times to strengthen abilities, chain attacks, or provide aid. Choose the path you wish to walk and discover what lies beyond the horizon.
  • Explore multiple, distinct RPG adventures in a world created by Square Enix
  • Choose from eight characters, each with their own distinct story
  • Deep, strategic turn-based combat with a layered battle system
  • Visuals inspired by retro RPGs, brought to life with modern touches and a rousing, dynamic musical score
Reviews
Aggregators
Articles
English
Non-English
Videos

Arkage

Banned
Hmmm. In that awkward meta position where I'm still not convinced I should buy it right away when I'm trying to chip through my backlog. Good to see it getting above 80 though.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
pre-order cancelled.
Yeah, with a HUGE sadness cancelled my pre-order too.

I've played the latest demo, liked what I've seen but looks like the game has more cons than pros as far as I'm concerned. Don't like the grind and repetition, plus the lack of the main story and huge focus on separate character stories for the whole game along whith lack of depth when it comes to character interactions... That's not what I personaly like in RPGs and visuals, music and combat alone is not enough for me.

Maybe I'll buy the game later during sale, we'll see.

Last edited:

NahaNago

It is about what I thought it would be between an 8 and a 9. I'll probably just pick it up at a random store tomorrow.

Pejo

I couldn't be any more excited for this game. Reviews are about what I expected, but with my hands-on time with the demo, I already know I'm into it. One more day...

Yeah I really wasn't expecting this game to get 10s across the board and be hailed as the best JRPG in x years. 8s are about what I thought and there is nothing wrong with a 7 or an 8, that's still a respectable score and means a game is worth checking out in my books.

Got my copy today, but am still busy with XC2... so Octopath Traveler has to wait. Really looking forward to playing it, though.

SonicSleuth

Has anyone listened to Kotaku Splitscreen's current episode, mostly covering Octopath? Why in God's name do his cohosts (Kirk wasn't in this episode) let Jason Schreier sh*t all over every game that isn't Destiny every week? It's mind-boggling.

I appreciate Schreier's work, he's definitely always busy preparing a story, but dude send to genuinely dislike video games, and gamers, and studios. He forces every developer to answer his stupid questions about unions and overtime, and focuses on the most minute complaints to tear down very good games.

What's more, he doesn't usually listen to his interviewee, he just ignores responses and says "right, right..." While moving to what HE wants to say about the subject. And in the end he seems to have that narcissistic problem where he assumes all gamers agree with his bullshit*t opinions.

As someone who worked in the videogame sweatshop industry, who loves games, and who appreciates a REAL conversation, I find him impossible to respect on everything except *effort*.

Also, I know people around here have strong opinions about Schreier, and I'm not trying to overwhelm the thread with those. Just frustrated that he crapped all over this game while his cohost seemed to enjoy it, and then he had the nerve to insinuate that other critics should agree with him. Smh.

Pleasantly surprised. I was expecting mid 70's like SE's other non-FF RPG efforts as of late. Maybe I'll give this a go after all.

Vawn

Banned
Are those preordered cancelled posts serious?

I'm calling bs. If you were interested enough in this to preorder it (also why preorder anyway?), you wouldn't cancel it over a *gasp* 85 metacritic score.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Has anyone listened to Kotaku Splitscreen's current episode, mostly covering Octopath? Why in God's name do his cohosts (Kirk wasn't in this episode) let Jason Schreier sh*t all over every game that isn't Destiny every week? It's mind-boggling.

I appreciate Schreier's work, he's definitely always busy preparing a story, but dude send to genuinely dislike video games, and gamers, and studios. He forces every developer to answer his stupid questions about unions and overtime, and focuses on the most minute complaints to tear down very good games.

What's more, he doesn't usually listen to his interviewee, he just ignores responses and says "right, right..." While moving to what HE wants to say about the subject. And in the end he seems to have that narcissistic problem where he assumes all gamers agree with his bullshit*t opinions.

As someone who worked in the videogame sweatshop industry, who loves games, and who appreciates a REAL conversation, I find him impossible to respect on everything except *effort*.

Also, I know people around here have strong opinions about Schreier, and I'm not trying to overwhelm the thread with those. Just frustrated that he crapped all over this game while his cohost seemed to enjoy it, and then he had the nerve to insinuate that other critics should agree with him. Smh.

I wouldn't let one guy get you down. One person loves this while the other hates it. The existence of video games and life itself are exactly like this. I stopped frequenting that site when their articles contained spoilers for newly released games. I even unsubbed to their email list. Everyone wanted to love this game because its retro and its an RPG on Switch. I didn't necessarily see Tokyo RPG Factory doing better. From the looks of it, IGN gave I Am Setsuna a 7/10 while they gave this a 9.3/10.

I'm just glad I got to play most of the classical RPG's when they were out. When you own games like Suikoden, Grandia, Skies of Arcadia, Final Fantasy, Lunar, and etc your own opinion matters more because you know what all the critics are comparing this game to. Considering how traditional JRPG's work, something like this is a lot more fun. These are good scores. There are "good" games with lower scores out there. I preordered my copy and I'll get it tomorrow. This thread will be enough for me in terms of looking at reviews.

I remember when 3D Dot Game Heroes was getting a lot of praise. I didn't bother playing it. I wish I did sometimes, but oh well. It was probably a lot of fun for the nostalgia factor alone.

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

I'm calling bs. If you were interested enough in this to preorder it (also why preorder anyway?), you wouldn't cancel it over a *gasp* 85 metacritic score.

Well I can't speak for the people who posted that as I never had the game preordered, it was just something I took an interest in as a fan of Square and JRPGs in general, but here's what I wrote in Era:

Had high hopes for this one as RPGs are my favorite genre, but they were all contingent on the the 8 paths coming together no less than halfway through the game. I don't care if the game got 100s across the board, 8 different path "Saga Frontier" style games are not for me. I don't mind them starting separate, but you need to come together to unify the story, characters and journey, and not wait until the game is nearly over to do it. This is nothing to say with the claims of repetition, while disheartening, I would have dealt with had the story been strong and overarching.

So, I don't think it has anything to do with the game not receiving all 9s and 10s, it's more to do with it being eight different paths and having no meaningful interaction between the characters and no overarching story. At least for me. I believe that's the disheartening part for a lot of people as well, especially when Final Fantasy VI comparisons were being thrown around.

If you never cared about any of those things though this is most likely still the great game you thought it was, IGN gave it a 9.3 for example.

TannerDemoz

It's a big shame the stories don't overlap given one driving, compelling narrative is usually at the heart of decent RPGs. I loved the demo though and think the combat and music is incredible. Can't wait to pick up my preorder tomorrow (for those cancelling: seriously? What were you expecting?)

Ulysses 31

MC 90+ or bust!

I have the traveller's edition on order.
And it's a call back to old GAF where people would post that whenever something negative was brought up about a game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Seems on-par with their previous games (Bravely Default had an 84, Second had an 82, and 4 Warriors of Light had a 71). I am excited to get my copy in the mail on Monday!

Poppyseed

It's a big shame the stories don't overlap given one driving, compelling narrative is usually at the heart of decent RPGs. I loved the demo though and think the combat and music is incredible. Can't wait to pick up my preorder tomorrow (for those cancelling: seriously? What were you expecting?)

That’s the biggest issue. The stories don’t overlap, so what’s the point? Also, I’m sorry but NOBODY likes random battles. I know someone is going to say they do, but they’re lying.

I really love the music and art style though. Sigh.

He's essentially a SJW but a high quality one.

Desperately need a switch game - xC2 or Octopath??? Hmmmm

So whats the best way to play the game one story at a time or 8 stories 1 chapter at a time?

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I want to play this but I also want to go on a Switch strike until Nintendo adds achievements.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I loved the demo though and think the combat and music is incredible. Can't wait to pick up my preorder tomorrow (for those cancelling: seriously? What were you expecting?)
You already answered your own question:

stories don't overlap given one driving, compelling narrative is usually at the heart of decent RPGs
This and other negatives which this game has - repetition, grind, lack of character interaction with each other.

TannerDemoz

That’s the biggest issue. The stories don’t overlap, so what’s the point? Also, I’m sorry but NOBODY likes random battles. I know someone is going to say they do, but they’re lying.

I really love the music and art style though. Sigh.

I actually really like random battles!

I'm abit older so maybe thats why I'm really enjoying this game, or what I've played of the prologue demo, theres lots of replay value to 8 different stories, not that I think I'll get to them all and I dont mind the random battles. Thats just how it used to be and I get they dont make them like that anymore but I definitely miss the era. I'm liking lots of spoken voice acting, that adds to this formula forsure. I pre-ordered the CE $129.99 CAD, be picking that up tomorrow while trying to hunt down the Pearl & Marina amiibos.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
just like BotW it all depends if you enjoy open nature of the game. You are free how you like to progress the game.

Fbh

I think I'll wait for a sale.
I took the time to read a few reviews and while the scores where varied they all seemed to agree on the same pros/cons (mainly great combat and visuals but a somewhat grindy and repetitive nature, and a disjointed story).

The story in particular sounds rather disappointing. The devs even said at some point that they saw it as a spiritual successor of FFVI, so hearing that the individual stories are mostly unrelated to each other and that outside of optional dialog the game doesn't even acknowledge that they are travelling as a group is disappointing

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Hmmm. In that awkward meta position where I'm still not convinced I should buy it right away when I'm trying to chip through my backlog. Good to see it getting above 80 though.
Same. I don’t have time for another low-to-mid 80’s, time sucking JRPG. Would’ve made an exception is this thing came in hot, 90-95ish.

tkscz

I think I'll wait for a sale.
I took the time to read a few reviews and while the scores where varied they all seemed to agree on the same pros/cons (mainly great combat and visuals but a somewhat grindy and repetitive nature, and a disjointed story).

The story in particular sounds rather disappointing. The devs even said at some point that they saw it as a spiritual successor of FFVI, so hearing that the individual stories are mostly unrelated to each other and that outside of optional dialog the game doesn't even acknowledge that they are travelling as a group is disappointing

So.... a JRPG the likes of the SNES days?

Same. I don’t have time for another low-to-mid 80’s, time sucking JRPG. Would’ve made an exception is this thing came in hot, 90-95ish.

I cannot tell if people are serious when they say things like this.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

I don't have a cute gif to show my displeasure at this comment, but the sentiment is there.

Fbh

So.... a JRPG the likes of the SNES days?

I don't think Chrono Trigger is grindy nor do I think its narrative is Disjointed.

As I said, it's the story in particular which I think sounds disappointing. From how the reviews describe the game it's not as much a group of various characters with different backgrounds travelling together (FFVI style) as much as it's 8 unrelated stories of 8 unrelated characters which are shoehorned into each others battles "because gameplay".

Vawn

Banned
Nintendo is on fire this gen

My ps4 has been a dust collector since Gow

That isn't exactly a lot of time for dust to accumulate.

I love Octopath Traveler, but lets not pretend Switch's lineup is even in the same league as PS4s yet.

Last edited:
That isn't exactly a lot of time for dust to accumulate.

I love Octopath Traveler, but lets not pretend Switch's lineup eis even in the same league as PS4s yet.
I mean BOTW and Mario Odyssey are higher rated by critics than anything on PS4. I think Hollow Knight is also better.

I personally favor quality >>> quantity but to each their own

Last edited:

Alebrije

That is sad, I mean a JRPG with weak story is like Real Madrid without Cristiano Ronaldo, specially the octopath interaction. Hope the single stories by the selves are interesting.

Vawn

Banned
That is sad, I mean a JRPG with weak story is like Real Madrid without Cristiano Ronaldo, specially the octopath interaction. Hope the single stories by the selves are interesting.

Judging from the demo, they're done very well.

Smasher89

Started playing and played like maybe 2h, started as primrose. Something really interesting is that there is a lot of options to buy items right away that improves the stats a lot, and you got money for some of it. Went to another town and noticed there is a character i potentially can take over wit 3% chance and 8 in a 10 grade scale of strenght, wonder if i can take over that character and go to the areas that requires more then 10 more level. (Have softresetted a bit to try to get that char, but still no luck).
Second session i got a secondary start and chapter 1 done, can definitly see this as a pick up for an hour, play through a chapter and done for that moment feels kinda fitting atm at least!

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Eight smaller stories sounds like a smart decision for the pick-up-and-play Switch.
Gotta love the 'this game is perfect for the Switch' comments. I have never understood the 'portable games must be shorter than console games' idea or some variation of that. Why? All they really need is a sleep mode and quicksave/save anywhere. Have we not been playing console games on portables for years?

BTW, my Switch is also a console. Is yours?

Last edited:
Top Bottom