• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octopath Traveller II - review thread

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I never understood this criticism, I never grind with first game, not even once, in fact if you try match the recommended level it becomes too easy.

Same thing i heard against Shin Megami Tensei games but I played SMTV on hard difficulty and never grind, I never needed to.
I think it's just people who don't like turn based combat and refer to normal playing as "grinding". Either that or they are very bad at the game.

Labadal

Btw, what secondary jobs did you guys unlock?

I got the Inventor job with Throné, and was basically one shotting most encounters after that.

It also has an interesting way of unlocking new abilities. I wonder how many secondary jobs there are in the game.

Topher

Gold Member
I think it's just people who don't like turn based combat and refer to normal playing as "grinding". Either that or they are very bad at the game.

I guess I'm just bad at the game because I tend to have to grind a lot, but I really don't mind grinding a bit. But in a game like this being good or bad really just means knowing the tricks to use for each battle, right? It is literally making the right decisions in turn based battles as well as knowing how to best equip, build characters. Wouldn't you say?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I guess I'm just bad at the game because I tend to have to grind a lot, but I really don't mind grinding a bit. But in a game like this being good or bad really just means knowing the tricks to use for each battle, right? It is literally making the right decisions in turn based battles as well as knowing how to best equip, build characters. Wouldn't you say?
This game has job system so you can combine different job’s abilities to set up big damage but it also knowing right time breaking your enemies shield.

For example Throné has the ability to act twice, you activate that to break the shields instead of wasting your BP so when you broke the shield you can spend that BP to do proper direct damage.

Last edited:

Corian33

I’m happy for people who enjoyed the first and are looking forward to this one, but it sounds like more of the same but a bit better. I found OT1 to be painfully repetitive in structure and gave up around Chapter 3.

I really think they should have made these stories a true anthology set in a shared world, rather than awkwardly bringing characters together who have little/no reason to join forces. Sounds like they added some more interaction, but still tacked on rather than a true intertwined story.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Depends on the game, but in my experience (having played some JRPGs but not A LOT of them) it's always possible to change your strategy in some way to avoid having to grind. Some games have a job system, others might have multiple party members to swap in or out depending on your situation while others like SMT are more about experimenting and setting up your team accordingly to the challenge ahead. Of course there'll be times where a bit of grind is necessary but that'll be like 5% of the times, like for one super boss or something like that.

Luck can be a determining factor too. Getting wiped in a boss fight because of bad luck might give the impression that grinding is needed while not really. Happened to me a few times while playing Dragon Quest XI not long ago.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Btw, what secondary jobs did you guys unlock?

I got the Inventor job with Throné, and was basically one shotting most encounters after that.

It also has an interesting way of unlocking new abilities. I wonder how many secondary jobs there are in the game.
There is only one secondary job in the demo.

In the full game there are

Danjin44

I just notice this Octopath 2 not releasing on Xbox........why exactly!? Original game never made it to playstation but it got released on Xbox but now its completely skipping them.

Why Square is so picky on what game releasing on Xbox?

Last edited:

Labadal

I just notice this Octopath 2 not releasing on Xbox........why exactly!? Original game never made it to playstation but it got released on Xbox but now its completely skipping them.

Trying to understand Square Enix is like trying to understand how women think.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Because they're a very bad publisher.

Topher

Gold Member

Follow the money. I'd say Microsoft paid for exclusivity for the first game and Sony paid for the second.

And then there is this....

IsWDrJE.png

Danjin44

Trying to understand Square Enix is like trying to understand how women think.

Because they're a very bad publisher.
Like most SE's games but I will never understand their mind set.
Follow the money. I'd say Microsoft paid for exclusivity for the first game and Sony paid for the second.

And then there is this....
Did they really? The game is still releasing on Switch and PC just not on Xbox.....this confusing the crap out of me.
gon-hx-h.gif

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Did they really? The game is still releasing on Switch and PC just not on Xbox.....this confusing the crap out of me.
gon-hx-h.gif
SQEX probably wont budge on releasing it on Switch in Japan. But they'll take the money and leave out Xbox.

Topher

Gold Member

gon-hx-h.gif

I'm guessing, but with the amount of money hatting that has gone on this generation, that's what I think. But yeah, this is all about Xbox vs PlayStation.

Danjin44

SQEX probably wont budge on releasing it on Switch in Japan. But they'll take the money and leave out Xbox.
I'm guessing, but with the amount of money hatting that has gone on this generation, that's what I think. But yeah, this is all about Xbox vs PlayStation.

Whats point of doing that? Most Octopath's audience is either on Switch or Playstation, still going sell the most on those systems, why waste money to keep out of Xbox especially for niche game like Octopath?

This just makes zero sense to me.

Topher

Gold Member
Whats point of doing that? Most Octopath's audience is either on Switch or Playstation, still going sell the most on those systems, why waste money to keep out of Xbox especially for niche game like Octopath?

You got me. Made zero sense to me that the first game was on Xbox and not PlayStation either. SE seems to be taking money from whoever is willing to give them money. Otherwise, I see no rhyme or reason to any of this.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

No one knows. If you just want my random guess, Octo 1 was on GP. The way to capitalize on that is to release game 1 to millions, then see if sales increase on the next one. Similar trajectory as Yakuza series on Xbox. So Sony has incentive to block one of the few games with a slim possibility of seeing some sales on Xbox and can probably do it cheaply. The incentive is to crush all expectation that people can count on these games on Xbox, and essentially destroy that whole market demand. They've done that for 20+ years so now no one even expects them on Xbox. Thats the point. But thats just my guess. Who knows.

Last edited:
Grinding has a specific definition, though. It’s not about whether someone likes it or dislikes it. If you are battling for the sole purpose of leveling because you choose to, when it’s totally optional, with no other goal than you want to level up, or you want a specific item drop from an enemy, that’s grinding. It’s neither good nor bad.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Grinding has a specific definition, though. It’s not about whether someone likes it or dislikes it. If you are battling for the sole purpose of leveling because you choose to, when it’s totally optional, with no other goal than you want to level up, that’s grinding. It’s neither good nor bad.
Yeah I agree on that definition. What I was trying to say is that maybe people who complain about "grinding" don't know what it actually means, because in most JRPGs it's not really necessary but still you see many people complaining about it.

Danjin44

Grinding has a specific definition, though. It’s not about whether someone likes it or dislikes it. If you are battling for the sole purpose of leveling because you choose to, when it’s totally optional, with no other goal than you want to level up, or you want a specific item drop from an enemy, that’s grinding. It’s neither good nor bad.
My problem is some people blame the game for grinding, when in fact they are the one choosing to grind, when SMT5 came out people complain about how they have grind because first boss Hydra was too difficult, meanwhile I was able to beat it even when I was underleveled

They dont have the patience to come up with tactics to beat difficult boss so they grind to power through it, that fine its their choice how they want to play but they shouldn't blame the game just because they choose to grind.

Last edited:
My problem is some people blame the game for grinding, when in fact they are the one choosing to grind, when SMT5 came out people complain about how they have grind because first boss Hydra was too difficult, meanwhile I was able to beat it even when I was underleveled

They dont have the patience to come up with tactics to beat difficult boss so they grind to power through it, that fine its their choice how they want to play but they shouldn't blame the game just because they choose to grind.
Agreed. It’s usually because you’re not using the other abilities in the game to their fullest and relying on being OP to get through the tough fights

Go_Ly_Dow

Preordered physical PS5 version for £38.95. Can't complain.

Never played the 1st, but am very excited for this one.

Top Bottom