• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Go announced, $199 standalone headset

BibiMaghoo

I certainly think stand alone is the right direction for VR. Interested to see how it does. Especially given the best selling VR device by far has no cables at all.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Now I can go to Puerto Rico while I take a virtual tour to Puerto Rico!
a2oODrf.gif

OmegaFax

Hugo Barra talked up using LCD technology but avoided saying anything about black levels. Isn't it going to look a little less vibrant?

Haines

Banned
For 200 bucks I would suggest that I'm extremely skeptical.

I believe the price point is perfect but have a hard time believing this has good performance for such a low cost.

NewDust

• 'Sweet spot' between high-end PC headsets and mobile solutions

This is either heavily subsidized or, more likely, they mean "slightly more powerful than a mobile solution". I am incredibly wary on any marketing on graphics/framerates.

Pandy

Standing ovation for first post.

On the topic: While not interested in this device itself, hopefully it can be a driver to get VR Wave 2 from all the suppliers, and get us all the sooner to Wave 3 where things hopefully get good/great.

not surprised at the $199 price point especially if there using smartphone parts with a decent screen. im betting this is likely more for Facebook, and there vr conferencing aspersions than for vr gaming.

This is either heavily subsidized or, more likely, they mean "slightly more powerful than a mobile solution". I am incredibly wary on any marketing on graphics/framerates.

First of all, props on the Palmer line.

I think as long as it's better than the phone on face solutions, both in terms of resolution and head tracking, it'll be a nice addition to the Oculus offering.

Gurrry

so im guessing this cant run the regular oculus rift games/apps right? this seems like a more beefy mobile VR headset. am i wrong?

Ogni-XR21

Sounds like it will be kinda like GearVR, just as a standalone product. As all the GearVR software will work with this it should be simillar in specs?

Chesskid1

Banned
if it can play VR videos, i think i'm in ;)

the hassle of a full oculus/vive is just too much for me.. i even passed on that sick oculus black friday deal

NewDust

First of all, props on the Palmer line.

I think as long as it's better than the phone on face solutions, both in terms of resolution and head tracking, it'll be a nice addition to the Oculus offering.

Sure... But I can't see what a $200, mobile solution could have to offer against a high end PC. Sweet spot is marketing talk, as it is very ambiguous. I think it's disingenuous to refer to high end PC's for this product. Of course, they can surprise me...

If this thing includes the processor all for $199, how good can it possibly be?

If they're willing to lose money on this with every sale, and I bet that they are, I have pretty high hopes for it.

I had decent experiences with the Gear VR and my Galaxy S7, and if they're boasting that it will be a step up from the mobile experience, then I'll probably keep my eye on this.

Kikorin

It have its own hardware, but can be connected to PC anyway? Is like a "regular" Oculus or will have only some games/applications?

Gurrry

If they're willing to lose money on this with every sale, and I bet that they are, I have pretty high hopes for it.

I had decent experiences with the Gear VR and my Galaxy S7, and if they're boasting that it will be a step up from the mobile experience, then I'll probably keep my eye on this.

Yeah but what can you honestly do with those? I have a mobile VR headset and the apps and basically everything for it is pure garbage. A 199 dollar version of that doesnt fix the VR entry problem.

Now just get that form factor down and make the resolution better and I'll be in in a few years

Edit: smart phone parts? Nevermind...

RalchAC

Wonder what the specs would be at the price, considering the resolution of the screen at all. Sounds cheap, unless there is some kind of contract behind the product and you have to pay a sub for X months or something like that.

Just as Palmer would have wanted

Give this man GAF Gold. And a fancy tag.

What about controllers ) hand tracking?

That would be the Santa Cruz device, which is also self-contained with inside-out tracking and more power. It will definitely be more expensive and it's coming out later. Check out the Oculus Connect thread for details.

There are 4 tiers now:
-Samsung Gear VR (mobile VR)
-Oculus Go (entry level self-contained VR device with probably similar capabilities of Gear but ergonomically better with other unique hardware features)
-Santa Cruz (higher end self-contained wireless headset with inside-out tracking and touch-like controllers)
-Oculus Rift (highest quality, PC powered headset, no sign of gen 2 yet but they're updating the user experience/software a lot)

Top Bottom