• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

vermadas

Oculus Rift Launch |OT|

Rift - $599 | £549 | €699 -
Touch - $199 | £189 | €199 -

Oculus Touch Reviews:
Tested
Upload VR
Road to VR
Kotaku
Engadget
Rock Paper Shotgun
ArsTechnica
Wired
The Verge

mMBeuoo.png

Oculus Store
Steam

3MaOxC2.png

B1qqmqY.png

Arizona Sunshine | Vertigo Games
Oculus | Steam | Humble | GMG
GAF OT

U08iw9s.png

The Climb | Crytek
Oculus

Ai4xAeb.png

Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition / Vivecraft | Mojang / jrbudda
* The Windows 10 version of Minecraft does not yet support Touch. Sorry for the error
Oculus | Windows 10 | Vivecraft - requires Java version of Minecraft

KBSUBSb.png

Ripcoil | Sanzaru Games, Inc.
Oculus - Currently free with a store purchase

w1zpfVR.png

Space Pirate Trainer | I-Illusions
Oculus | Steam

91wo3Wi.png

SuperHOT VR | SUPERHOT Team
Oculus

cO9H55k.png

The Unspoken | Insomniac Games
Oculus Free with preorders

POtR56G.png

VR Sports Challenge | Sanzaru Games, Inc.
Oculus Free with preorders

oOfONlH.png

LUssnJb.png

First Contact | Oculus
Oculus

I4GErJm.png

Dead and Buried | Oculus
Oculus Free on Touch activation

yCJdDaq.png

Oculus Medium | Oculus

o4K9e2o.png

Quill (Beta) | Oculus

GdD9oNu.png

Accounting | Crows, Crows, Crows / Squanchtendo
Steam
Room-scale and 2m x 1.5m space required

RVZ8v7y.png

Google Earth VR | Google
Steam
Currently requires a hack to get around hardcoded Vive exclusivity. See here

bvvS40o.png

The Lab | Valve
Steam

KIJ6Emi.png

Rec Room | Against Gravity
Oculus | Steam

Lq44Dp9.png

The Art of Fight | Raptor-Lab |
Audioshield | Dylan Fiterrer |
Bigscreen | Bigscreen, Inc. | Free
Budget Cuts (demo) | Neat Corporation |
Destinations | Valve | Free
Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades | RUST LTD. |
I Expect You To Die | Schell Games |
Kingspray Grafitti | Infectious Ape |
New Retro Arcade: Neon | Digital Cybercherries | OT
Onward | Downpour Interactive |
Raw Data | Survios |
Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope | Croteam |
The Solus Project Hourences, Grip Games |
Toybox | Cloudgine | Free
Waltz of the Wizard | Aldin Dynamics | Free
Windlands | Psytec Games Ltd |

gCkvfU7.png

Blazerush | Targem Games |
Chronos | Gunfire Games |
Damaged Core | High Voltage Software, Inc. |
Dirt Rally | Codemasters |
Eagle Flight | Ubisoft Montreal |
Edge of Nowhere | Insomniac Games |
Elite Dangerous | Frontier Developments plc |
House of the Dying Sun | Marauder Interactive, LLC |
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes | Steel Crate Games |
Lucky's Tale | Playful |
Obduction | Cyan, Inc. |
Redout | 34BigThings srl |
Subnautica | Unknown Worlds |
Titans of Space 2.0 | DrashVR LLC |
Virtual Desktop | Guy Godin |

Ld3qZ2F.png

Arktika.1 | 4A Games | | 2017
Fallout 4 VR | Bethesda | H1 2017
Giant Cop: Justice Above All | Other Ocean Interactive | | Q1 2017
Lone Echo | Ready At Dawn | | TBA
Robo Recall | Epic Games | | 2017
Rock Band VR | Harmonix | | "Early 2017"
Star Trek: Bridge Crew | Ubisoft | | March 14 2017
Wilson's Heart | Twisted Pixel | 2017

drVS2hB.png

Recommended

Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD Radeon R9 290 equivalent or greater
CPU: Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
Memory: 8GB+ RAM
Video Output: Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
USB Ports: 3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port

Minimum - Recently lowered after introduction of ASW

Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 960 / AMD Radeon RX 470 or greater
CPU: Intel i3-6100 / AMD FX4350 or greater
Memory: 8GB+ RAM
Video Output: Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
USB Ports: 1x USB 3.0 port, plus 2x USB 2.0 ports
OS: Windows 8 or newer why is this higher than recommended?

iAySUd6.png

Oculus documentation on "experimental" room-scale setups

The Touch ships with a second sensor to help track the controllers and minimize occlusion. Oculus' only official configuration for the sensors has them facing the same direction toward your play area. Nearly all of their first-party games and "exclusives" are designed with this configuration in mind. Thus the gameplay will usually avoid situations where you have to turn 180 away from the cameras, where your controllers are likely to be occluded by your body.

There are two other configurations that Oculus has labeled "experimental".

Two sensors, 360°
gLasPcX.jpg

This configuration will allow you to turn 360° without worrying about blocking both cameras. This will allow you to enjoy many games that were originally developed for the Vive for standing gameplay that do not require roomscale. You will almost certainly need an extension cable in order to get the second sensor on the other side of your play space.

Three sensors, roomscale
ktOfbVV.jpg

You can purchase an additional sensor (currently only available through Oculus) for $79|£79|€89. It ships with a 16ft/5m active UBS 2.0 extension cable. Oculus recommends using 2.0 for the third sensor to avoid having USB bandwidth issues. This configuration, along with a large enough play space, allows you to play games that require roomscale, though you may need some extension cables for the Rift itself.

Some notes about sensor setup:
- If you try one of the experimental configurations, the setup will yell at you about your sensor placement not being ideal, bit you can click Next and continue on regardless.
- Try to elevate your sensors and have them point slightly downward.
- If you have tracking dropouts or judder and/or Oculus settings showing a warning about poor tracking with one of your sensors, you might be running into a USB bandwidth issue. Try using a different USB 3.0 port if possible; ideally one physically further away. If you have no luck there, you can plug additional sensors into USB 2.0 ports. Unfortunately, I have not seen any conclusive info on the hit this takes on tracking quality.

The developer behind EmuVR wrote a handy utility that lets you see what your sensors see, to aid with placement.

DeskScene
https://fat.gfycat.com/FreeOldGrub.webm

Practically gnawing my fingers off while refreshing my UPS docket every few hours.
It got so close and has since disappeared.

Couldn't resist the bundle last night, have wanted the Climb for a long time, and I'm a big Superhot fan so...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Mine should be arriving later today. Hope to have time later tonight to give it a whirl.

Has anyone else tried The Climb yet? I'm interested in seeing if anyone else thought it was as bad as I did - the previews were pretty positive.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Reposting this in here..

So i just played with Toybox, Medium and The Unspoken

Medium...Holy shit! So for those old enough to remember what playing Super MArio 64 was like, this is the artist equivalent. Words can't describe the feeling you can when you can manipulate a mesh with one hand and sculpt with the other.

It's rough but this is clearly the future of 2d content creation.

For those who have used TiltBrush, this seems a lot more intuitive and polished at first glance.
ToyBox

Your basic Touch tech demo so far. Really cool stuff though. I mean you can even spin the wheels of the tank with your fingers. really trippy.

The Unspoken

Ill try this one later when i set up my 2nd sensor. Didn't realize one sensor wasn't setup :/

Seiru

Banned
Anybody have a list of recommended Touch titles to try? I don't even know what to attempt to get through tonight.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Has anyone else tried The Climb yet? I'm interested in seeing if anyone else thought it was as bad as I did - the previews were pretty positive.

I've played it without the Touch controllers and thought it was fine. Will try it with Touch later on when I can.

YuShtink

Mine's still on it's way. Due to arrive the 8th. On Saturday when it was in Indiana (i'm in CA) I requested a hold for pick up at a local facility, and my tracking status on UPS.com has been unavailable since. Going crazy now waiting for the request to go through. Just hope I didn't cause anything to go wrong, I've done it before without issue. But it's been 72 hours without any kind of update or new location scans showing on the tracker page. Annoying.

Got an email from Amazon with a code. I assume this is for VR Sports/Unspoken?

Also does anyone have that list of free games that we can download launch day for the Touch?

Enordash

So ready to give Superhot a try later tonight. Too bad Killing Floor didn't make launch. I haven't heard much of anything about that game since the initial announcement.

120v

Haven't touched my rift in months .... seems like everything interesting has been going to Vive.

Hopefully Touch will breath new life into it. Cant stand my headset being a $600 paperweight. Bring on da games

oakenhild

Genuine question: did Palmer Luckey's funding of pro-Trump shitposting influence your decision to buy an Oculus Touch? Why or why not?

It originally did, but they seem to have silenced him for now. Not as good as getting rid of him entirely, but at least he's not a spokesperson for the company anymore. I have a feeling it will stay that way, but we'll see.

The touch controllers swayed me towards the rift, and the ability to buy the system in stages softened the financial hit a bit. I bought the rift a few months ago, and should have the touch controllers tomorrow.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Mine just shipped, very exited to try Medium.

No. It being $200 certainly has though. I'll get it eventually but not yet.

You get almost that amount in free software assuming you pre-ordered. Seems like a pretty great value.

Bookoo

Just ran to the ups store and got them. Tried Super Hot for like 15 minutes before heading back to work. It's cool as shit.

Just ran to the ups store and got them. Tried Super Hot for like 15 minutes before heading back to work. It's cool as shit.
Heard it's brilliant but short, something like 3 hours with limited replay value. Hopefully this is just a taste test with more content in future

Bookoo

Heard it's brilliant but short, something like 3 hours with limited replay value. Hopefully this is just a taste test with more content in future

Heard that as well, but hopefully they add some DLC or something to it. I have so much to try though. I just want to go home.

Still no word on mine, I had previously gotten the email that said I would get it shipped between the 6th-12th. So that's the last time I order directly from the Oculus site (within a minute of preorders opening), everyone who went Amazon is getting theirs already.

Really pumped for it, the missing link for our Rifts is upon us. It's time to go home, little one.

One of my favorite Rift games with an Xbox One controller. It's fun, has amazing views, and is the kind of game I keep coming back to to play levels I've already completed. It's one of the games I use to show off VR to newbies. I haven't tried it with Touch, though, I hear that changes things, both good and bad (for some people it makes it more immersive, others it pulls them out of it). Have you tried it without Touch?

I don't believe so.

nooooooooooooooooooo

Most anticipated game for me but dont like MP.

Ah well its free. Saw that tom's hardware review said touch tracks better than Vive. Glad I bought Rift and waited patiently for Touch while all the Vive owners got to play fantastic room scale experiences all this time. Finally get to complete the VR puzzle.

Have to say I am pleased with the bundled software that oculus give you, $200 sounds a lot but if you preorder you get a LOT of content.

Do we know yet if raw data is coming to rift? I would ask about vanishing realms but since its a single dev, I imagine not.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Genuine question: did Palmer Luckey's funding of pro-Trump shitposting influence your decision to buy an Oculus Touch? Why or why not?

Truthfully, I did not want to buy Oculus products not because Palmer funded a pro-Trump group but because that group has ties to a white supremacists. One could say that Palmer's role at Oculus has diminished as he's no longer at public events and has been removed as the face of the company. Personally, that's not enough for me to let Oculus completely off the hook.

His connection to that group caused me to not want an Oculus but did not prevent me from buying one anyway. I'm a hypocrite for buying a Oculus. There is no defending the difference between my words and my actions.

fwpx

Played with Rec Room, Medium, and Don't Touch Anything.

So much fun. It feels great. I have a third sensor ordered but it has not shipped yet. I want true room scale!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Played with Rec Room, Medium, and Don't Touch Anything.

So much fun. It feels great. I have a third sensor ordered but it has not shipped yet. I want true room scale!

How much freedom do you have to move around your play area? The person doing the demo I did at Best Buy would not let me move my body much, only my hands.

Delt31

As a Vive owner, a lot of these games are familiar. If I were to get the rift, would I have to buy the games again on their store or will the rift work with the steam versions I already have?

I own Eve Val on the rift (using revive to play on Vive) but now that it's out on steam, I would have to buy it again so it doesn't seem to work that way going from rift to vive.

Truthfully, I did not want to buy Oculus products not because Palmer funded a pro-Trump group but because that group has ties to a white supremacists. One could say that Palmer's role at Oculus has diminished as he's no longer at public events and has been removed as the face of the company. Personally, that's not enough for me to let Oculus completely off the hook.

His connection to that group caused me to not want an Oculus but did not prevent me from buying one anyway. I'm a hypocrite for buying a Oculus. There is no defending the difference between my words and my actions.

I mean, I'm not here to call anyone a hypocrite; I meant it when I said it was a question. The reason why I asked is because I'm an Oculus Rift owner who's been reading all the glowing reviews of the Touch, and it looks like Oculus did a great job with the product. But it's also weird to me that the furor from two months ago over Luckey's involvement with an organization that counted Breitbart writers among its top supporters has completely died out to the point where none of the media coverage mentions it at all. I think the only articles I saw mentioning it after the launch of the Touch was Gizmodo's series of Luckey Watch articles, which are basically "it's day 67 and still no word from Facebook about what Palmer Luckey's role is." It makes me wonder if everyone else decided it was okay or that it wasn't relevant anymore or if they just forgot about it.

So I'm in the same boat to an extent; do I spend money on this product knowing that Luckey is still involved with the company but not knowing HOW he's involved? Do I take Facebook's lead here and pretend he never existed? Do I decide that it simply doesn't matter, that Oculus is bigger than any one person, even Luckey, and that my money routinely goes to support people whose political views and actions I probably disagree with? Is it easier to just say "meh, the Rift wasn't that interesting after all anyways, I won't bother with the Touch?"

Anyways. Like I've said in the past, it's a personal decision and I don't begrudge anyone for buying or not buying for whatever reason. I was mostly curious to know how people felt about their purchase (or lack thereof). I'm not here to make you feel like a hypocrite, though if you already felt that way without my help, I don't really have any comforting words for you either unfortunately.

Kevin

Looking forward to some GAF impressions on this. I have a Rift but barely ever use it. Kind of wondering if Touch would make me more interested in VR. Launch lineup looks solid.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
How much freedom do you have to move around your play area? The person doing the demo I did at Best Buy would not let me move my body much, only my hands.

Even with the single camera you can move around quite a bit. The headset isn't a problem because it has trackers on the back so you CAN turn around. The Touch controllers would obviously be occluded by your body if you were using the front facing setup and turned around but if you remain facing forward you can easy move around a decent sized area.

As a Vive owner, a lot of these games are familiar. If I were to get the rift, would I have to buy the games again on their store or will the rift work with the steam versions I already have?

I own Eve Val on the rift (using revive to play on Vive) but now that it's out on steam, I would have to buy it again so it doesn't seem to work that way going from rift to vive.

You can use Steam games with the Rift. Games that use the Vive wands should translate pretty well to the Touch controllers. Some games have been updated to take advantage of the Touch controllers natively but I don't know if the Steam versions of those have been as I don't have my Touch controllers yet.

oakenhild

You can play all or most of your steamVR games with the Rift and touch controllers.

fwpx

It all depends on sensor placement, but I was able to do full left and right style movement just fine. Depth was an issue, moving forward or back too far, and also not facing completely forward would cause tracking issues, due to the lack of a sensor behind me. I am going to try the experimental one sensor in the front and one in back..but I'm worried about the length of the cable for the rear one.

If you're facing forward and in sensor view, tracking is incredible.

Top Bottom