• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

Tain

I want to get Airtone, which came out today. Any word on if the Steam version includes direct Oculus API support?

I doubt it makes a notable difference, but I like it when Steam releases support both APIs.

vermadas

Oculus Studios and Hidden Path (Defense Grid dev) just stealth released Witchblood. It's a side scrolling diorama style metroidvania. $7.99 USD.

said fuck it and bought it. It supports Oculus API seamlessly and also it's a dope game.

Hmm this looks neat. Art style is a bit of a turn off though...

vermadas

Ready at Dawn will be showing off Lone Echo at the PC Gaming show today. Other Oculus related games/announcements may or may not show up.

t1497286800z4.png

Plasma

Banned
Looking forward to Lone Echo and I guess that means if they are putting out one big VR game a month that probably means that Killing Floor will be out in August.

Hey guys is the rift a significant upgrade in terms of graphics over a PSVR and Pro? Looking to sell my PSVR, what are the pros and cons of trading up?

Also I have a i5 4570 and a 1070, and I currently have 2x USB3.0 and 1x USB2.0 ports free. Will the processor hold me back?
Will this setup last me for at least this generation of VR?

There is a noticeable difference in the resolution but overall the PSVR holds up really well. The big difference is in the touch controls, which are superior to the PS moves and the vive controllers. If you are looking to take advantage of full room scale you will need 3 usb 3.0- and 1 usb 2.0 ports. The oculus headset needs an hdmi and one usb 3.0 and the tree sensors take up 2 usb 3.0 and 1 usb 2.0.

As far as your hardware is concerned I think you are okk with the i5 and 1070.

I personally run on a i7 and gtx 1080 and love it.

vermadas

Oculus sale has begun

Summer Sale Weekly Bundle - $69.99 USD
Includes:
The Climb
Landfall
Raw Data
Edge of Nowhere

Arizona Sunshine - Daily deal - 30% off - $27.99

Job Simulator - 30% off - $20.99 USD
The Climb - 50% off - $24.99 USD
Edge of Nowhere - 33% off - $26.99 USD
SuperHOT VR - 20% off - $19.99 USD
Raw Data - 20% off - $31.99 USD
The Unspoken - 33% off - $19.99 USD
Wilson's Heart - 25% off - $29.99 USD
Landfall - 33% off - $19.99 USD
Chronos - 66% off - $16.99 USD
Knockout League - 40% off - $11.99 USD
Elite Dangerous - 42% off - $34.99 USD
Eagle Flight - 33% off - $26.99 USD
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - 66% off - $4.99 USD
Call of the Starseed: Gallery - 50% off - $9.99 USD
Thumper - 40% off - $11.99 USD
Sports Bar VR - 40% off - $11.99 USD
Darknet - 50% off - $4.99 USD
Cosmic Trip - 15% off - $16.99 USD
Werewolves Within - 33% off - $16.99 USD
Dirt Rally - 33% off - $26.99 USD
Rock Band VR - 44% off - $27.99 USD

...and much more.

Soi-Fong

The Climb and Wilson heart are tempting me at theses prices, just afraid of motion sickness in the climb since they state it's intense.

I'm guessing the daily deals are gonna be cheaper so is it worth it to wait till the title you want is the daily deal?

I'm hoping to grab Wilson's Heart and Edge of Nowhere.

The Climb and Wilson heart are tempting me at theses prices, just afraid of motion sickness in the climb since they state it's intense.

I've never even been close to getting motion sickness from The Climb. I think they might have set it as intense as a mere precaution, because in practical terms it seems totally fine. Experiences may vary though. I can get queasy from certain VR experiences, but the only physical effects The Climb has made me suffer are vertigo and sweating.

I'm guessing the daily deals are gonna be cheaper so is it worth it to wait till the title you want is the daily deal?

I'm hoping to grab Wilson's Heart and Edge of Nowhere.

Thanks i will wait to see if that's the case then

I've never even been close to getting motion sickness from The Climb. I think they might have set it as intense as a mere precaution, because in practical terms it seems totally fine. Experiences may vary though. I can get queasy from certain VR experiences, but the only physical effects The Climb has made me suffer are vertigo and sweating.

From the video i saw i think it is safe for me. I get motion sickness in game like ethan carter i want to try anyway. thanks for the head up though.

vermadas

Yeah, unless you want to play something *right* now or gamble on it not showing up as a daily, it's best to wait. Anything you want that didn't get a daily can be bought on the last day.

Edit:

To The Top on Steam is on sale for 25% off - $18.74 USD

TheBear

Haven't unboxed my Rift + Touch yet but looking to buy some games on sale.
Already have Superhot, Arizona Sunshine and Robo Recall and a bunch of sim racers, is Raw Data worth getting also? Seems a bit similar to what I already own. Any other must haves I should check out whilst the sale is on?

Also what are some apps I need? For watching videos etc and any other cool stuff

Cheers

Izuna

Banned
Didn't want to make a new thread because there aren't many people doing this, but I figured I should set up a 2 Sensor Set-up for when I move at the end of the month -- but also have some sort of roof, cable suspension thing.

Here are the tools I'm considering so far:

FObk2eG.png

--

I feel like I need to sensibly find a way to keep the dog lead on the ceiling (any way I can do this without using screws?) and finding a suitable hook for the Rift Cables.

Speaking of cables, this is what I have:
- 2 USB 3.0 Extension for the Sensors
- USB 2.0 Extension because I need to force the Rift to be 2.0 (which goes into a 3.0 Powered Hub, but I need the headset to be 2.0 to not compete with bandwidth)
- Because I'm using a laptop, I can put the computer anywhere in the room.

If what I need is about £10, then that's everything for £45 (after Amazon Student discounts).

Tain

Possibly looking to purchase an Oculus. Do most Vive games work on it or is there an exclusive type thing ala the Oculus Store?

Yup, most Vive (SteamVR) games work on it provided you have the space/tracking that you'd use on the Vive's side (so if a game requires roomscale, you'll probably want to get the extra tracker cam).

SteamVR is really good about supporting Oculus hardware and SteamVR games work fairly seamlessly on it without dev intervention. Devs have to go out of their way to block Oculus, and this has only happened with Google Earth iirc (until the Oculus-native version came out).

Yup, most Vive (SteamVR) games work on it provided you have the space/tracking that you'd use on the Vive's side (so if a game requires roomscale, you'll probably want to get the extra tracker cam).

SteamVR is really good about supporting Oculus hardware and SteamVR games work fairly seamlessly on it without dev intervention. Devs have to go out of their way to block Oculus, and this has only happened with Google Earth iirc (until the Oculus-native version came out).

There's a difference between the controllers for the two headsets though, and the way I understand it, if a developer doesn't keep this in mind, things can feel off on the Oculus Touch.

TheBear

Does anyone have a guide on a perfectly fitted headset?

Feel like the headset is putting a lot of pressure on my forehead vs PSVR not having any at all. So much clearer though, WOW. And tracking is superb

There's a difference between the controllers for the two headsets though, and the way I understand it, if a developer doesn't keep this in mind, things can feel off on the Oculus Touch.

The only time you really notice it is if the developer has their own Vive controller which they render in-game (which obviously doesn't match up). SteamVR handles a lot of other aspects behind the scenes to get them to feel similar, or to get button mappings correct.

It certainly won't feel like a native Oculus Touch title because games which were primarily designed with the Vive don't have the finger poses, which does stick out like a sore thumb (heh). SteamVR does correct for controller pose and such so things like firing angles in shooters feel correct based on the hardware.

The other aspect is just how each piece of hardware is able to be used. For example, the grip buttons on the Vive are generally used like buttons, whereas on Touch they're meant to be held down and gripped. Thus, games designed primarily on the Vive have a "press button to grab" mechanic, whereas Rift is generally "grip this to grab". Many games are introducing toggles for that behavior though.

It goes both ways though when a Vive user uses Revive to play the Rift games. In the end, it's really nothing that noticeably affects enjoyment of the games.

Does anyone have a guide on a perfectly fitted headset?

Feel like the headset is putting a lot of pressure on my forehead vs PSVR not having any at all. So much clearer though, WOW. And tracking is superb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGzfMFMYUX4

Try that? You really shouldn't be having much pressure on the forehead. Make sure the back part of the headset is cupping the bottom of your skull and don't over-tighten the top. Also, don't forget the front of the headset rotates along the horizontal axis. That helps with positioning too. You really shouldn't feel it pressing against your face much. I get it where I can shake my head side to side and it barely doesn't wobble.

SteamVR does correct for controller pose and such so things like firing angles in shooters feel correct based on the hardware.

Ah, I didn't know this. The reason I was uncertain about this was because I'd heard of SteamVR games where the angles of guns and such felt off because they were designed for Vive controllers.

TheBear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGzfMFMYUX4

Try that? You really shouldn't be having much pressure on the forehead. Make sure the back part of the headset is cupping the bottom of your skull and don't over-tighten the top. Also, don't forget the front of the headset rotates along the horizontal axis. That helps with positioning too. You really shouldn't feel it pressing against your face much. I get it where I can shake my head side to side and it barely doesn't wobble.

Thanks for this it's really helpful.

Also, is it possible to swap the cable management on the headset from the left side to the right side of the head?
And for those with a third sensor, where re you mounting it? Understand why a third is necessary after playing Arizona Sunshine and constantly forgetting which way is forward, but I really don't want to mount a sensor on the ceiling of my living room. Also the cable seems a bit too short.

Other than that, this really is a substantial upgrade from PSVR. I am really happy with my purchase

Neverfade

Well I pulled the trigger.

Now what's the easiest way to play my VR games that are on Steam? I just install Steam VR again and it'll recognize everything?

Also got $100 credit I have to spend by the 25th apparently.

Star Trek Bridge Crew is high on the list.
How's Call of the Starseed?

Any other recommendations to round me out? (Thumper would be an easy buy but I literally just bought it on PSN a few days ago during that sale).

Gambit61

Saw that Thumper was on sale so I picked it up.....I think I'm really gonna like this game lol. Instantly reminded me of the Willy Wonka scene in the tunnel.

vermadas

I've only played Thumper on PSVR, but I strongly urge anyone that has an interest in rhythm games to give this a serious look.

I can't even play this game without VR. It makes a huge difference.

Saw that Thumper was on sale so I picked it up.....I think I'm really gonna like this game lol. Instantly reminded me of the Willy Wonka scene in the tunnel.

Thumper is legit. The game is fucking tough though... at least for me. I stalled out after getting to level 7 or so. The intensity of it really comes through in VR.

Well I pulled the trigger.

Now what's the easiest way to play my VR games that are on Steam? I just install Steam VR again and it'll recognize everything?

If games have native Oculus support it's usually better to launch them directly in Steam without SteamVR running. For SteamVR only games, yeah, it should work exactly as it did before with Vive (assuming that's why you're already familiar with SteamVR). You'll need to re-run the setup obviously. There are some SteamVR only games that require you to set up roomscale/chaperone (Job Simulator, Accounting). For everything else, I find it best to set up SteamVR as 360 standing only and just rely on Oculus' guardian boundaries.

Any other recommendations to round me out? (Thumper would be an easy buy but I literally just bought it on PSN a few days ago during that sale).

Make sure you get SuperHOT VR. Other then that, it depends on your preferred genres.

MultiCore

Any impressions on this one? Everything I heard from podcasts and reviews were extremely mixed.

EDIT: This thing still doesn't have motion control support does it?!

I have this on PSVR.

It's kind of a walking simulator, but it runs on Cryengine and looks great compared to most VR titles.

It's.... It's not bad, but I don't know if it's 'good'. It exists, and isn't offensive, but there's nothing that really drives me to finish it. I'd estimate I'm about halfway through it.

Some of the puzzles seem obscure/obtuse. It can be a bit of a pixel hunt. (I love adventure games, but this can be downright unintuitive.)

Proceed with caution I guess. It depends on what that $20 is worth to you.

Mage's Tale.

Impressions please.

Well, I just put in a little over an hour and found it to be enjoyable. The comedy is a complete miss for me, but I can look past that part. Some of the controls are slightly unintuitive (I always end up fiddling with treasure chests for a while before I finally hit the sweet spot to let me open them) and the movement controls take a little getting used to, but so far this has been a very unique experience for VR.

Mixing spells looks like it'll be a fun activity. I've already had to make some difficult choices about spell power, extra effects, and even color choices. The beginning fireball spell becomes very weak very quickly, so you have to keep upgrading your spells as you go.

Finding secrets is probably going to be the best part of this game. I've already found a handful of them, and some of them were intricate, multi-step affairs. One had me solve three puzzles in a row with only a quick fight in between, and then rewarded me with a special ingredient for my alchemy table. If you just rush through this, you're going to miss out on a lot of goodies, it seems.

Top Bottom