• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

iNvid02

wow, I mean id pay it but only after the games prove themselves and there seems to be a steady supply of new games. Until then I'll live vicariously through the first adopters

qatak

Neo Member
Aren't console accessories typically more expensive than their pc counterparts?

yeah but sony said PSVR was going to be priced like a console. people are still making fun of $599 a decade later - no way they cross that line again. People even scoffed at the $499 Xbone. so, i'm thinking it's going to be priced around where the PS4 is now.

Social

Wasn't one of the perks of being bought by Facebook something along the lines of them being able to reach a much bigger mainstream market?

yikes

IvorB

I don't think it's that expensive...

But then again I saw no problem with 599 PS3 at launch and if it was up to me the Bone and PS4 would be around that price with better components so I guess I'm the exception...

I think people have an unrealistic expectation of what cutting edge tech should cost. I wonder if cellphone contracts are to blame for this.

sammex

Bloody hell. I really really want one but my max price I'd pay at this point is like half what they're asking.

DemonNite

W2kIaaY.gif

It's Rift Racer! Riiift Racer.

I am pretty tempted, but I don't think my 970 is enough so getting a another card and the glasses is a bit hefty.

Tater

This is clearly for people who buy SLI 980s and shit

Pretty much.

The thing is, I was all set to pay $500 for this thing - it was the upper end of what I thought was reasonable for an early adopter piece of tech without any killer apps.

For the price, you could buy a nice g-sync monitor or something else that would have a much broader use.

The next 5 years? You can't honestly believe that.

If VR takes of at all, and that's a big if, it'll be completely eclipsed in terms of tech in less than two years. At best.

it might not even last 1 year before its proven to be inferior to competing solutions lol

conweller

Neo Member
Just realized a rather scary possibility.

The price isn't coming down. They may pull an Apple. The new one always costs $600. CV2 - $600. Oh but now that CV2 is out, don't worry you can buy a CV1 for $400. What a deal! Sure the tracking isn't as good, the screens aren't as good, the whatever isn't as good.

I'm calling it now.

imjust1n

Banned
People keep saying No or goodbye VR. Do you not remember the first smartphone Iphone was like over a grand at ATT and Blu Ray was over a grand....600 is expected I was more expecting 500 NOT 400 but its around my range so im fine. Plus this is the first HIGH end VR system. People will buy this

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's not supposed to be mainstream yet. This isn't for the poor masses.

How is this any different than any other piece of consumer technology?

I would expect your phone, console and PC to be usable 2-3 years from now, even if not top of the line. These headsets? All with differing specs and arbitrary features/controllers? You're still paying for a public beta. You may be buying HD-DVD 1.0 here.

Do I expect there to be tons of fools and their money? Sure. I also expect tons of whining and crying a year from now.

AdanVC

And with that price, VR is doomed right before starting. That of course if Sony handles a similar price with PSVR... Hope they don't and it could be way cheaper.

Did some math because I'm a masochist. As a Canadian, if you had bought into the Oculus Rift Kickstarter back in August 2012, you could've gotten a DK1 kit and a CV1 for $275 USD ($300 if it's pre-built). Add $30 USD for international shipping. That $330 USD would've translated into roughly $330 CAD, as the Canadian dollar was at par.

Three years later, that same CV1 now costs you $914 CAD, and you haven't had a DK1 to play with in the meantime. That's almost three times the price. A lot of that is due to the Canadian dollar losing 30% of its value versus the US dollar. The CV1 doubling in price doesn't help either.

Cleve

I don't see anyone buying this except some gaf hardcores at that price. Especially outside of states.

People paid $800 for blu-ray players when it came out. There's apparently market for $100 plain white t-shirts.

I'm sure the device will sell as well as it needs to, and the next version at a lower price will sell a lot better.

Soroc

Well Oculus fucked up.

I've tried over 20 times for this damn website to take any of my CCs and it keeps erroring out.

Your loss OR. Looks like I'll just wait now to see what Vive is doing next month.

Effect

I don't understand were people are getting the idea that Vive will be better price. That thing comes with hardware you place around your actual room. No way in hell can Sony take a loss on their headset either. You'll be paying for everything. They need pure profit off this thing. Last time I checked the PlayStation division was still the one part of the company making the most. It can't be held up by something else while they go into the red on their device.

kiguel182

Even if VR is the future we will have to wait for a lower price point to see it. This is a price for early adopters and enthusiasts only.

And that's fine I guess but I don't think it's the best way to launch the product.

Trago

People think PSVR will be much less expensive? The fuck? Sony's not taking a loss on a super niche piece of hardware lol.

Top Bottom