• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

KHarvey16

This could be good news. Or, they could have had low estimates for initial sales, and a slow production capacity. That could mean they didn't have huge stockpiles even starting from September. they could run out and even with relatively modest additional demand they may struggle to catch up.

Hope not though.

We know they had more than 7k ready to go immediately since that's how many they're giving away to KS backers and those ship in March. There are still a large number of regular preorders going out then too, so they had quite a lot of them built.

Early adopters are extremely important to Oculus and VR, more than most other new tech releases. This isn't something that people are going to try easily and the early adopters are the ambassadors they need. I hope they do everything they can to make being an ambassador easy early on.

robotrock

Banned
How do you get comfy 555s? Mine sound great but they're like a vice on my head.

Also, consider that games may be tuned for the headphones on the rift. If they're going for binaural stuff using an oculus sdk that might not be as effective e using your own headphones. I'm probably overthinking it though :p

I want to use my 598s, but am I going to lose all that fancy positional audio stuff on the Rift headphones?

Bsigg12

I want to use my 598s, but am I going to lose all that fancy positional audio stuff on the Rift headphones?

No. As long as you have headphones, you'll hear the positional audio. Oculus is just making sure all the work they put into the audio sdk doesn't go to waste by making a set of headphones standard on the device.

rav

A car costs much more than the piece of metal it needs. A gpu silicon cost way way waaaay less than the manufacturing price of a Titan X gpu.
You don't know the manufacturing price, not even an estimate.

I never once said you could know the exact price it costs to manufacture. But knowing the costs of materials is a good first step. Most people in this thread were wanting to know how it's even remotely possible to figure it out or simply stated it wasn't possible.

You can still figure out R&D for that wafer, but you're going to be doing a lot more research than I'm going to try to explain in this thread

No. As long as you have headphones, you'll hear the positional audio. Oculus is just making sure all the work they put into the audio sdk doesn't go to waste by making a set of headphones standard on the device.

Well, it won't be as good positional audio, as their SDK is based on knowing the size of the drivers, the distance from your eardrums, etc.

Dartastic

Goddamnit. $600 is still too expensive for me, but with all this hubub of being unable to even GET one until July or so... It just kinda makes me want to say "fuck it" and put money down. Ugh.

FyreWulff

You can do positional audio just fine with only two speakers. You only have two ears after all.

However, Creative owns a lot of patents on software realtime positional audio.. hence why a lot of sets have completely workaround convoluted ways of pulling it off.

Dartastic

They don't charge until it ships
I couldn't help myself. From the combination of not charging until it ships and the fact that I won't be able to get one until June, I cracked and just reserved a spot. I'm not sure how I feel about that right now. I'm excited? But like, disappointed in myself for committing to spending $600 on this thing?

GAF.

Banned
I'll make this my first post

Ordered it right when it went live, and I think I have March.

But I might cancel it depending on Vive price

Ferrio

Banned
I couldn't help myself. From the combination of not charging until it ships and the fact that I won't be able to get one until June, I cracked and just reserved a spot. I'm not sure how I feel about that right now. I'm excited? But like, disappointed in myself for committing to spending $600 on this thing?

Welcome to the club.

I'll make this my first post

Ordered it right when it went live, and I think I have March.

But I might cancel it depending on Vive price

Grats!

What would be your ideal price for the Vive out of curiosity? It's almost certainly going to be higher than the Rift due to the included controllers. Will you bite at $700? $800?

deadfolk

Same here. When I saw the price, I made a couple of snarky posts about the price, then ordered it.

I'm simultaneously excited, disappointed and disgusted with myself.

Ovek

7Member7
Same here. When I saw the price, I made a couple of snarky posts about the price, then ordered it.

I'm simultaneously excited, disappointed and disgusted with myself.

I did the same but then didn't order it for like another 24 hours and now mine won't ship till "June". Booo....

GAF.

Banned
Grats!

What would be your ideal price for the Vive out of curiosity? It's almost certainly going to be higher than the Rift due to the included controllers. Will you bite at $700? $800?
$700 to 800 I guess. But $800 is stretching it. Unless Valve includes a lot of extra stuff to sweeten the price.

Also If Vive does have better FOV and less screen door effect

x3sphere

I'd be up for getting the Vive even at $800 but the reports of SDE have me worried. Unless it gets improved in the final retail kit, likely sticking with my Rift pre order.

I ordered the oculus a day after the pre orders went live and the conformation page said I'll get in in march. I thought pepole who pre ordered on the first day only got it in march?

Helznicht

I was almost there too, I held off. I had the $600 waiting, but, damn, if i am spending $600, I might as well spend $1000 and get the best of the best, and gut tells me that's going to be VIVE.

Dineren

Banned
When I saw Palmer cautioning people about price I started expecting a pretty big increase. I was hoping for $500, but thought it could go as high as $1000. I can't imagine the Vive going any higher than that. If it does I might hold off on my order until there is specific software I want instead of buying it on the hope of software.

I ordered the oculus a day after the pre orders went live and the conformation page said I'll get in in march. I thought pepole who pre ordered on the first day only got it in march?

More like those who ordered in the first 14 minutes. I ordered mine 2 hours later after they went up and was put in May.

EDIT: errr wait, something is wrong here, lol

Yeah, that sounds odd. Everyone past the first 14 minutes is getting them later than March. Where does your order number land on this chart?:

ptIDP6t.jpg

Diggin this quote from a Time reporter that tried CV1 at CES:

But the VR experience that moved me to tears was Toy Box on Oculus Rift. A virtual sandbox where you can play with all kinds of toys, this game lets two players interact in the same virtual space simultaneously. Each player wears their own Oculus Rift headset and headphones, with a controller in both hands. From there, anything goes: You can take target practice with a laser gun, get in a firefight with one another’s toy tanks, or pull apart a robot doll and wear its parts.

Then my playmate, Erin, shot me with a shrink ray. Suddenly, not only were all the toys enormous to me, but Erin’s avatar was looming over me like a hulking giant. Her voice even changed as it poured through my headphones, entering my head with a deep, slow tone. And for a moment, I was a child again, with this giant person lovingly playing with me. It gave me such a profound perspective on what it must be like to be my son, that I started to cry inside the headset. It was a pure and beautiful experience that will reshape my relationship with him moving forward. I was vulnerable to my giant playmate, yet felt completely safe.

http://time.com/4172998/virtual-reality-oculus-rift-htc-vive-ces/

I was almost there too, I held off. I had the $600 waiting, but, damn, if i am spending $600, I might as well spend $1000 and get the best of the best, and gut tells me that's going to be VIVE.

Vive still looks like its in prototype phase though. The ugly headset and large controllers aren't doing it any favors. It seems like the only thing that's better is the room tracking but since it's the only device that has it then it will probably be one of the least supported features amongst developers. They are really going to need to knock it out of the park on the software level.

Hopefully sometime soon here they'll update our order page with the estimated ship date. Seems like if they were willing to show it to us at time of purchase, they might as well list it on the order.

Hopefully sometime soon here they'll update our order page with the estimated ship date. Seems like if they were willing to show it to us at time of purchase, they might as well list it on the order.
Palmer Luckey said they weren't going to do that - someone asked if the updated shipment order (after canceling fraudulent orders) would be made known to people, and he said you'll know when it shows up at your door

Buggy Loop

I suggest people who want to know more about that tear down image and how the Oculus was put together should watch this talk. It goes into quite a bit of detail on the subject. They estimate about 200-300 individual parts. Here's the mechanism for just the IPD adjustment alone:

D4N9QXx.jpg

CV1's headset is simply another league in engineering design over all other headsets. As a current student in engineering, this video was fascinating. The ammount of work to get the best optics/comfort/weight is no easy task. There's a reason this thing costs what it does (and the more i look at the inwards, the more i understand its priced right). They could've just put a basic VR headset with DK2 like casing and refine the screen for consumer version, but the experience would have varied a lot depending on the shape of your head/eyes. They could have skipped the headphones, but you would end up with consumers with (generally) shit headphones applying too much pressure on the ears. would make cable management even worst too. Adjusting IPD is a juge plus too, just like you would with any glasses to have the best optics..

Its totally different than slamming a screen & lenses in a plastic case with ski straps.

Palmer Luckey said they weren't going to do that - someone asked if the updated shipment order (after canceling fraudulent orders) would be made known to people, and he said you'll know when it shows up at your door

Oh that's right, I did read that. Can't be literally true though, since the page has a placeholder for a tracking number.

CV1's headset is simply another league in engineering design over all other headsets. As a current student in engineering, this video was fascinating. The ammount of work to get the best optics/comfort/weight is no easy task. There's a reason this thing costs what it does (and the more i look at the inwards, the more i understand its priced right). They could've just put a basic VR headset with DK2 like casing and refine the screen for consumer version, but the experience would have varied a lot depending on the shape of your head/eyes. They could have skipped the headphones, but you would end up with consumers with (generally) shit headphones applying too much pressure on the ears. would make cable management even worst too. Adjusting IPD is a juge plus too, just like you would with any glasses to have the best optics..

Its totally different than slamming a screen & lenses in a plastic case with ski straps.

As someone that isn't an audiophile I'm def thankful for the integrated cans. Trying to put my sennheisers on after the dk2 was always a hassle and I'd end up feeling like I was wearing this:

brainstorm-425x334.jpg

Dineren

Banned

That'd be kind of obnoxious. Who wants to wait around after launch with no idea if their product has shipped or if it could be a couple months still?

That'd be kind of obnoxious. Who wants to wait around after launch with no idea if their product has shipped or if it could be a couple months still?

If it helps what the community did when dk1 and dk2 were shipping out in batches was keeping track of people's order numbers as they went out and were delivered. It gave a pretty good indication of where you sat in the queue. Christ that dk1 wait was brutal :/

YuShtink

If it helps what the community did when dk1 and dk2 were shipping out in batches was keeping track of people's order numbers as they went out and were delivered. It gave a pretty good indication of where you sat in the queue. Christ that dk1 wait was brutal :/

Yea DK1 started shipping around the same time as Rift at the end of March. I had to wait until JULY for my shipment. It was the worst. Never again lol. Got in the first batch of DK2 and for CV1 I got my pre-order in at 8:05am. Should be an extra week or two at most, if not the week of March 28. So excited.

Yea DK1 started shipping around the same time as Rift at the end of March. I had to wait until JULY for my shipment. It was the worst. Never again lol. Got in the first batch of DK2 and for CV1 I got my pre-order in at 8:05am. Should be an extra week or two at most, if not the week of March 28. So excited.

Oh man I would've needed therapy if mine came in July haha, end of May was bad enough for me.

I've never been in first batch before but with the freebie I'm hopeful it's gonna be part of that first shipment. Fingers crossed!

Dineren

Banned

I completely forgot about that. I guess I did that with the dk1 as well. I placed my order and then completely forgot about it. Glad I got an early preorder in this time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

A lot of it sounded overblown to me. I'm sure it's hard, but that's your job - figure stuff out. And that IPD adjustment thing looks pretty simple - the Sony HMZ-t1 had something similar. Yet they made that sound the most difficult engineering thing ever. It's just a rack. The fabric confuses me too. Why even bother covering the front? The presenter talked about comfort,but the part that actually rests on your face is foam - the material is mostly just cosmetic (inner lining is useful though)

A lot of it sounded overblown to me. I'm sure it's hard, but that's your job - figure stuff out. And that IPD adjustment thing looks pretty simple - the Sony HMZ-t1 had something similar. Yet they made that sound the most difficult engineering thing ever. It's just a rack. The fabric confuses me too. Why even bother covering the front? The presenter talked about comfort,but the part that actually rests on your face is foam - the material is mostly just cosmetic (inner lining is useful though)

I can see that fabric getting pretty funky collecting shit after awhile.

Top Bottom