• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift: Coming to Jimmy Fallon

45510_327767813991406_909564633_n.jpg

Check it fellow VR fans.

http://www.facebook.com/oculusvr

Doesn't The Verge have some sorta partnership with Jimmy Fallon? Probably related to that, given that Oculus Rift won best in show. Really awesome for them.

fvng

I still remember Jimmy's reaction to Killzone 3 in 3D. I expect his reaction to to Oculus to be 5x as intense

Tookay

Fallon's over-eager "gee whiz" mind will explode.

Not that I'm criticizing him for it; I find his lack of cynicism admirable.

DigitalOp

Banned
So they are really tryna push this aye, We'll see how far it roots but this an awesome opportunity, I know the devs are stoked.

TriGen

Cool. I really enjoy seeing Jimmy's mind being blown by simple video games. Using the OR will be something to behold.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I wouldn't mind seeing Conan wearing that.

I used to love Conan, but he's getting old, and the "I don't understand video games" jokes aren't as funny. On the other hand, I hate Fallon. Though maybe he's gotten better since I dropped his show. As for his reaction, it'll be obvious amazement, but probably amusing.

LordCanti

I hope they give him demos where he's just walking around an environment, and not a demo where he has to successfully aim and hit enemies with a gun. Judging from previous attempts, the guy means well, but he doesn't actually know how to play the games he showcases.

This is amazing in any case. From a posting on MTBS3D to national TV...it's almost unreal.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want them to get Oculus Rift on the Gadget Show in the UK - get them to bring back the omnidirectional treadmill and give Jason a decent gun.

Owensboro

According to that Facebook page (hidden down a few posts) It's going to be Wednesday, January 30th (tomorrow). Hopefully someone will break out the segment by thursday so I don't have to watch the whole show.

Mit-

I hope he doesn't completely fudge the demo and constantly interrupt the OR guys and act like it's some crazy toy and belittle the product like he does with a lot of games that he attempts to play live.

While I really like Jimmy, I can't help but find these game segments ridiculous.

*puts Uncharted 3 on*

"Oh my God, yea I loved this game. How do you play it again?"

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Isn't it too early to push in mainstream channels like that? They won't have a consumer product for a long while, right?

Mit-

Isn't it too early to push in mainstream channels like that? They won't have a consumer product for a long while, right?

I think it's important to plant into people's heads. A lot of people don't consider VR as something coming soon or even a part of their future. They all think shinier graphics, higher resolutions, and 3D displays.

Seeing the Oculus Rift completely changed my outlook for my electronic entertainment future.

Wahooka

Neo Member
I am all about the OR but I wonder how effective showing it on TV will really be. This seems to be something that one would have to experience to be wow'd by. Just seeing Fallon on TV going "oooh so cool" won't garner much attention.

rdrr gnr

I'm somewhat annoyed by these base attempts to remain relevant. Conan's segments are genuinely funny but completely hollow. Games are still in a weird place in the media.

Mit-

I am all about the OR but I wonder how effective showing it on TV will really be. This seems to be something that one would have to experience to be wow'd by. Just seeing Fallon on TV going "oooh so cool" won't garner much attention.

Watching CES impressions have been very effective for me. You can always tell the reactions are honest and genuine. I hope Fallon's reaction comes off as genuine. His reactions usually do not.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I seriously hope Fallon used phrases such as "this is something every gamer needs to have" or something along those lines to promote it. I can only wish well to Oculus, and I hope it does well enough for the industry to adapt to it.

mf.luder

I seriously hope Fallon used phrases such as "this is something every gamer needs to have" or something along those lines to promote it. I can only wish well to Oculus, and I hope it does well enough for the industry to adapt to it.

Won't those phrases matter only if its legit? Couldn't the same thing be said about 3D at some point early in its lifespan?

I want it to take off too. They should have Carmack on the show demoing it. And then someone to translate.

drspeedy

OR is never going to be bigger than it is right now, guys... They hype is certainly due, its a great product, super cool tech and (I assume) going to sell just fine to gamers like us, but until VR is as simple as sunglasses it's a niche at best. Or, at worst, a flop if it doesn't get any real game support.

Frogacuda

Banned
OR is never going to be bigger than it is right now, guys... They hype is certainly due, its a great product, super cool tech and (I assume) going to sell just fine to gamers like us, but until VR is as simple as sunglasses it's a niche at best. Or, at worst, a flop if it doesn't get any real game support.

Honestly, I think something else will come along and blow it out of the water. Now that OR proved that the tech is already here, someone with a much bigger R&D budget will take it to the next level.

The fact that some homebrew hacker made the product that blew everyone away is a testament to just how little effort everyone else was giving this. VR had become a joke. Once people start to take it seriously, small companies like Oculus probably won't be able to stay relevant for long.

DieH@rd

Banned
Honestly, I think something else will come along and blow it out of the water. Now that OR proved that the tech is already here, someone with a much bigger R&D budget will take it to the next level.

The fact that some homebrew hacker made the product that blew everyone away is a testament to just how little effort everyone else was giving this. VR had become a joke. Once people start to take it seriously, small companies like Oculus probably won't be able to stay relevant for long.

They can become bigger if somebody buys them. I think that development in 2013 with devkits will prove how awesome VR can be, and 2014 consumer version will rock the world.

Harlock

This is always what people think about the future of videogame. I hope the oculus rift get new types of games. FPS are far from the best example.

Top Bottom