• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift CV1 images found in CSS (potential input sneak peek?)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Credit to le reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3968y0/some_final_cv1_images_probably_buried_in_the_css/

tfChGN1.jpg

VqYSRhT.jpg

Little remote with a touchpad like the steam controllers peeking through there?

Oh and they've also changed their logo to an incredibly boring shape:
Oculus-FullLock-Horizontal.png

Edit: the full shebang:
veIl07c.jpg

Palmer Luckey chimes in to say this stuff is "ancient", but we'll see whats stuck on the 11th:
Palmer Luckey said:
This is an old placeholder concept image that we accidentally leaked. Everything in it is ancient, certainly nowhere close to final (as evidenced by the GPU specs and the game named "war")

Enjoy checking it out, at this point, but don't expect everything to carry through to the stream on the 11th.

georly

That almost looks like a step back in a way. I'm not digging it at all, the last model looked way more futuristic, this looks like a binoculars case or something. :/

I'm sure it's better, but I think it looks too... flat?

What's that stand thing next to it? Camera? Or just a holder for the hmd? But then why does it have a cord coming out of it?

Hm, that input is...a bit less wild than I was hoping but I suppose that's to be expected on their first outing.

Maybe it can do a few tricks.

Edit: Seems this is simply an included media remote.

DryvBy

Looks beautiful. Hopefully they adjust the glue smell people were having an issue with. Every time I wore one, my senses went off that someone was cooking popcorn. I had motion sickness for days until I aired out the headset.

wait: is this wireless now?

edit: nevermind, I see it now. Didn't see it in image 1.

Gnilres

I do appreciate the simplicity of the Rift itself. I feel like this was a move to make it less intimidating to average consumers. Although, the PC requirements may make it a bit out of the price range of an average consumer, anyway.

But man it looked way cooler before. And that logo is hideous. SO boring.

That strap solution doesn't look all that comfortable, but who knows what the actual thing would feel like.

Not surprised at all to see a very Valve-esque control solution though. If of course it's real.

DorkyMohr

Banned
The "in the box" description says there's the "Simple input device" and a gamepad. Is the simple input device the remote? Do they have a separate gamepad as well?

Man

It's good that they have a pointer-device (in contrast to hand/body tracking) but I was hoping something a bit more sophisticated than a remote with just a couple of buttons. A trigger would go a long way.

edit: That's the simple imput device, I see.

2nd: Hoping that gamepad is more than a traditional gamepad.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ah ok. This is probably like a simple remote like you would get for your MP3 player. Not exactly the controller, though it might be indicative of the direction.
Sounds like it'll come with an actual gamepad of some sort, too.

Also some new min/rec specifications! 9800, dear lord, how am I gonna be able to afford that?

Manoko

I really doubt this little remote is the input controller they are working on.

Palmer Luckey twitted a picture from the movie where the kid says he likes the Powerglove because "it's so bad".

I think we can safely expect some sort of glove for hand-tracking for CV1.

Lunzio

Controller is most likely something similar to the buttons you find on the side of your monitor to tune the screen.

Seanspeed

Banned
I really doubt this little remote is the input controller they are working on.

Palmer Luckey twitted a picture from the movie where the kid says he likes the Powerglove because "it's so bad".

I think we can safely expect some sort of glove for hand-tracking for CV1.
I wouldn't go making assumptions based on a T-shirt Palmer wore.

Looks like the input will be a combination of the 'simple' remote there, plus a gamepad of some sort. Official input, at least. I'm sure there will be 3rd party alternatives for other sorts of wands and what have you.

EDIT: Camera on the headset though, maybe....

Man

Wait: Didn't Oculus just like two weeks ago state GTX 970 would be the minimum specs? Confusion.

Mononoke

Banned
I am more excited for VR than I am of anything. I'm just confused as to which will be the one I invest in between Steam, Oculus and Morpheus.

This Oculus presentation looks clean.

Wait: Didn't Oculus just like two weeks ago state GTX 970 would be the minimum specs? Confusion.

No they did not. They said you'll need one (or equivalent/better) if you want to play all the games targeting the Rift CV1 and have a good experience (i.e. good details and full framerate).

Of course playing VR Minecraft or watching VR movies isn't going to require a GTX 970.

The recommended specs are wrong of course, since it's the same as minimum.

Nzyme32

Hm, that input is...a bit less wild than I was hoping but I suppose that's to be expected on their first outing.

Maybe it can do a few tricks.

Edit: Seems this is simply an included media remote.

The placement on the camera type thing on the headset reminds me of some of the hand trackers - hand tracking may be the main input

DryvBy

No they did not. They said you'll need one (or equivalent/better) if you want to play all the games targeting the Rift CV1 and have a good experience (i.e. good details and full framerate).

Of course playing VR Minecraft or watching VR movies isn't going to require a GTX 970.

Or even Alien Isolation. I think it's more for those wanting to try out UE4 games in ultra settings.

Top Bottom