• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift or Vive? I just cant decide

TVexperto

What is the BEST VR experience out there right now? What are the best controllers, gadets ... which one has the best games?

I just cant decide which one to get... help me GAF:(

Games are basically the same (since Rift exclusives can be played with Revive on Vive); controllers are comparable, tracking is definitely better on the Vive.

It really depends on what you're looking for. It if's room-scale VR, Vive's the way to go.

Alec

Rift has this.

Vive is in no way worth $200 more. Way worse controller as well.

I wasn't actually aware of this, so I Googled and sure enough, it's possible. Oculus recommends three cameras, all wired though. For me that's a worse experience but I understand many people may not care so much.

If you have an Xbox and they implement Rift support at some point, then I might swing my opinion over that way.

Edit: Also the Vive Knuckles controller looks pretty sweet.

Avalt

Not out of the box.

Or are they selling the Rift with two/three cameras now?

The $399 Rift bundle comes with two controllers and two cameras. I do not have enough space at my place for room scale, but the two camera tracking seems really good.

Both the Rift and the Vive will blow your mind away, can't go wrong either way.

Alec

The $399 Rift bundle comes with two controllers and two cameras. I do not have enough space at my place for room scale, but the two camera tracking seems really good.

I found this on Amazon but it was $500. Link me, please?

OP asked what is the "best" VR system currently available. That would be the Vive + Deluxe Audio Strap + Wireless Adapter.

However, in the real world where people have limited amounts of money, the Oculus is a better value right now. Coming from a Vive owner.

Digital0Reality

Neo Member
As an owner of both. Rift is the best value hands down. They are very similar experiences atm with rift being much cheaper and with better controllers. I would also be wary of HTC long term support of their product.

Severianb

Personally, the Microsoft Mixed Reality headsets are far more attractive.

No external sensors needed, (uses Hololens tech for inside out tracking) just a single USB cable to the PC. Lower PC specs needed, yet higher resolution.

Also, it's a open standard, so the competition will drive the price even lower.

It's also compatible with SteamVR.

Personally, the Microsoft Mixed Reality headsets are far more attractive.

No external sensors needed, (uses Hololens tech for inside out tracking) just a single USB cable to the PC. Lower PC specs needed, yet higher resolution.

Also, it's a open standard, so the competition will drive the price even lower.

It's also compatible with SteamVR.
Ew, hell no

Reallink

Vive's tracking quality is quite a bit better than Rift, the FOV is a little larger, and the displays are brighter. With the $100 add-on Deluxe strap, comfort and ease of use are a wash, but it's +$100. The controllers (due to the weight, balance, and way they're held) are much better than Touch for gunplay, but are worse for general interactions and picking stuff up. You can play most (all?) Rift games with Revive, but performance is markedly worse than native Rift and the games are not designed for the Vive Wand's crappy grip buttons. $599 + $100 deluxe strap is very expensive for hardware that's likely going to be made outdated by competing SteamVR headsets in the next 6-8 months (LG, Pimax, perhaps some unannounced).

Rifts $399 price is great, but a third camera (+$60) is effectively a requirement for some games. Placing the 2 included cameras in opposing corners can work pretty good if you have an ideal room though. Tracking is prone to hitching and jumping from USB issues and odd arrangements of camera height and angles (which your room may necessitate), but is largely functional and still vastly superior to PSVR. FOV is a little smaller than Vive, but pixel structure/screen door effect are less noticeable. Rift's god rays (physical lens flare/bloom) are also worse than Vive. Performance in Rift native games is great and they're going to play better than on Revive as they're designed with Touch's grip mechanics in mind. Some SteamVR games don't support, are slow to support, or have buggy support for Rift/Touch, but that seems to be improving since the player base exploded with the price drop.

If you're wanting to buy right now, I would probably go for the Rift, but if you can wait 6-8 months, I am guessing you will see new SteamVR headsets shipping with Valve's new knuckle controllers and much better HMD specs than the Rift. There is very little chance you're going to see a new PC based Rift CV2 within the next year. I expect they will unveil a CV2 at Oculus Connect 5 next Octoberish (2018), but release would be a complete unknown. Maybe Holiday '18 or 1H '19.

I'd wait to see how the Pimax emerges early next year. And I'm really interested in Valve's and Oculus response is to Pimax. We're closer to 2nd gen VR, I think it's worth waiting a few months.

TMCN

Neo Member
I just bought a rift + touch controllers.

I’m pretty happy so far, but I would love some recommendations.

I’m a little bummed that Fallout and Skyrim VR aren’t coming out for the Switch. Any word on when resident evil VR will drop for PC?

Kimawolf

Well Rift is cheaper. But Vive is better experience... having experience with Rift if the Vives better features dont matter but its higher pricepoint does? Rift.

You can't go wrong in my opinion...but Rift all the way. I've stated my opinion many times before round these parts, but I'll say that if you're willing to get an extra sensor and some extension cables, the Rift is far and away the best choice.

People will tell you that Vive is considerably better because of the tracking but I just don't see it if you're willing to buy a 3rd sensor. My roomscale works flawlessly. That matched with Rift's price point and the fact that you get free games with the Rift (namely Robo Recall, one of the best VR experiences thus far), and I feel like the choice is obvious right now.

Like I said, you can't go wrong with either, they're both near equivalent with a few minor exceptions. But if price is a factor, go with the Rift.

As far as games, they are almost 100% the same. Rift can play a vast majority of the games on Steam VR (nearing 100% of ones worth playing), and Vive can play any game on Oculus Home with ReVive. Just know that neither product is straight up plug n play, you will have to futz with them to get it how you want. VR is still in it's early stages and it's up to you to maximize its current potential.

TriAceJP

Never used a Vive, but I have an Oculus.

Based on what I've played and experienced with the Oculus, I'd highly recommend it.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
I would go for the Vive, but at this point you should really consider waiting for the next VR generation

ScHlAuChi

Having tried both Oculus Rift and Vive, I bought the Rift for a simple reason.
Oculus Touch is just the perfect controller for VR and way superior than the wands!

Rift is also more comfortable to wear - Vive is more front-heavy.

RoH

I picked up a Rift and have been gaming on it for about a week now. Very solid package. I really like Eve Valkyrie right now. Which is better? Technically I feel they are pretty evenly matched spec wise. If I had to do it again I would still buy the Rift. The built in mic and headphones are really useful, and it seems Oculus has spent a great deal of time helping new users adjust to VR. I also think when they release the updated Dash UI its gonna be the bee’s knees. And the Home update....

Vive's tracking quality is quite a bit better than Rift, the FOV is a little larger, and the displays are brighter. With the $100 add-on Deluxe strap, comfort and ease of use are a wash, but it's +$100. The controllers (due to the weight, balance, and way they're held) are much better than Touch for gunplay, but are worse for general interactions and picking stuff up. You can play most (all?) Rift games with Revive, but performance is markedly worse than native Rift and the games are not designed for the Vive Wand's crappy grip buttons. $599 + $100 deluxe strap is very expensive for hardware that's likely going to be made outdated by competing SteamVR headsets in the next 6-8 months (LG, Pimax, perhaps some unannounced).

Rifts $399 price is great, but a third camera (+$60) is effectively a requirement for some games. Placing the 2 included cameras in opposing corners can work pretty good if you have an ideal room though. Tracking is prone to hitching and jumping from USB issues and odd arrangements of camera height and angles (which your room may necessitate), but is largely functional and still vastly superior to PSVR. FOV is a little smaller than Vive, but pixel structure/screen door effect are less noticeable. Rift's god rays (physical lens flare/bloom) are also worse than Vive. Performance in Rift native games is great and they're designed with Touch's grip mechanics in mind. Some SteamVR games don't support, are slow to support, or have buggy support for Rift/Touch, but that seems to be improving since the player base exploded with the price drop.

If you're wanting to buy right now, I would probably go for the Rift, but if you can wait 6-8 months, I am guessing you will see new SteamVR headsets shipping with Valve's new knuckle controllers and much better HMD specs than the Rift.
This is the best post of the thread. Based on these factors I went with the vive a while back, but he / she is right to recommend the rift right now for the value, or wait 6-8 months.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Ok i have been reading freaking gaf for about 5 hours while watching youtube stuff about the oculus rift.

it's only 449 euro's should i get this thing ? i am still not sure,
i wear glasses but i can see sharp on short distances does this matter?
i could wear lenses,

I tried my gear vr and that one works fine without lenses.
Is the rift that much better for most games? Not really using my gear anymore to be honest .
I also would like to sit in my chair mostly and occasionally stand.

IS the mod community ok ?

please anyone that own this be fair and tell me this tech stays cool and not a gimmck like my gear vr

I went Oculus, cost being the largest differentiator. OR also works with most Steam VR apps, so there’s little downside, plus the investment in internal projects by Facebook and their output has and will continue to generate experiences on the forefront of the industry’s sector.

LOLCats

Banned
Rift, price difference is still too large. Controllers are nice, room scale works good with two cameras or three.

Spukc

thanks for the advice !
but is it more then a gimmick ? are you still using it like any other tech piece,
a handheld for example?

I've played Vive pretty extensively and wasn't impressed.

The headset gets very uncomfortable pretty quickly.

Oculus has better controls from what I gather, is cheaper, is more comfortable and seems to have the full support of Facebook behind it.

HTC has just been gutted by Google. Who knows what the future is for that device.

Oculus.

Haluko

I personally think vive is better. I prefer to develop on the vive as well, since I find the tracking to be better. Ive run into more problems with the oculus at room scale. Overall they both are good, but if you want to move around vive is the better choice.

As a random side note, do you wear glasses? I owned a Rift and I wear glasses, it was so uncomfortable and was quite a big issue, for me.

I can't comment on the Vive in relation to comfort for glasses wearing folk, though.

Spukc

fuck it i ordered it i guess i found out if its ok for glasses . i also use lenses,
and it's ok that some of the money will go to palmer i guess xD

wondermega

They say tracking is better on Vive, personally I appreciate that the base stations are wireless (just need a power outlet) which sounds not to be the case with Rift. If you go that route spend a couple extra bucks buying stands so you don't have to deal with installing on the walls and all of that. Personally I love room scale on Vive it's pretty perfect and life changing. Just make sure you have enough space so you don't accidentally punch the wall like I did! Ouch...

Spukc

played way to much on the wii to have problems like that !
but yeah it sucks

Tealmann

The only thing I don't like about my Rift is the cameras. I have two of them mounted on my walls, and I have to run those chunky wires across my walls to the computer. I also don't like keeping them plugged in because I'm paranoid about having cameras in my room.
There's also a dead spot when I'm facing away from them where my controllers lose tracking, I could fix that with a third camera but that would mean another one that I have to run across my room and I would need an extension cable too.
I also don't like the low resolution, but it's the same as the Vive so that doesn't really matter.
Other than that, it's not too uncomfortable to wear for a while, the controllers are really nice (I'm still on the AAs they came with in August and they haven't even lost one bar on the power meter.), it works fine with SteamVR, Oculus Home works alright. The cameras are really the only Rift specific complaint I have.

The only thing I don't like about my Rift is the cameras. I have two of them mounted on my walls, and I have to run those chunky wires across my walls to the computer. I also don't like keeping them plugged in because I'm paranoid about having cameras in my room.
There's also a dead spot when I'm facing away from them where my controllers lose tracking, I could fix that with a third camera but that would mean another one that I have to run across my room and I would need an extension cable too.
I also don't like the low resolution, but it's the same as the Vive so that doesn't really matter.
Other than that, it's not too uncomfortable to wear for a while, the controllers are really nice (I'm still on the AAs they came with in August and they haven't even lost one bar on the power meter.), it works fine with SteamVR, Oculus Home works alright. The cameras are really the only Rift specific complaint I have.
Extension cables come with each camera you buy separately.

Blam

Extension cables come with each camera you buy separately.

Yup, and frankly if you're seriously scared of cameras in your room, you should also unplug your mic, and PC, and then for safe measures turn off your phone as well.

These "Cameras" need to have their firmware modified before anyone can actually use it as a camera.

120v

depends on budget and living space imo. if living space isn't a problem and you want to save a few hundred rift should serve you well. plus no workarounds with exclusives

vive on the other hand will track better and it seems to be the "default" vr platform on steam whereas oculus touch gets the optimization later.

Top Bottom