• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift S Is Official: 1440p LCD, Better Lenses, 5 Camera Inside-Out Tracking, Halo Strap, $399

Gold_Loot

Oh nice! I’ve been patiently waiting to jump into pc VR (Still love my PSVR). Looks like that time is soon.

Mega Man

I am ALL-IN on this! I've been waiting for the next iteration of pc VR. I couldn't get on board with the Quest knowing it would be an under-powered self-contained sequel. Honestly, with Stadia coming out, I'm going to have to find a way to put all this PC power to use!

Skyr

A bumb in res is nice but lower refresh rate and no improvements in FOV? Kinda meh. They also swapped the OLED panel for LCD.

Will wait for the gen after that.

Last edited:

Shifty

Whoa, replacing the original Rift with inside-out tracking tech? That's a confident move.

Looks like we're finally getting to where VR needs to be in terms of the ergonomics too- dat halo strap :messenger_grinning:

Still using the el cheapo foam face padding though I see. For such a premium piece of kit you'd think they'd ship with a considerably more comfy (and easier to clean) leather one.

Last edited:
Whoa, replacing the original Rift with inside-out tracking tech? That's a confident move.

Looks like we're finally getting to where VR needs to be in terms of the ergonomics too- dat halo strap :messenger_grinning:

Still using the el cheapo foam face padding though I see. For such a premium piece of kit you'd think they'd ship with a considerably more comfy (and easier to clean) leather one.
399 isn't exactly "premium", but I agree, cheap foam is still cheap foam.

Not upgrading either. I'm using my og Vive more, and I'm waiting for real upgrades like eyetracking and wireless.

Cool to see the industry moving forward, though. Getting rid of the usb sensors is a huge upgrade.

Last edited:
I'm suprised anyone would be that excited about this.

$400 for small resolution bump on screens with a worse refresh rate. Downgraded headphones. I guess inside tracking could be a draw but you're still tethered to a computer. So you have built in tracking but it has the possibility of more blind spots and no tracking behind the back.

The Quest is also $400 and has complete freedom and is self contained. Although less processing power.

I don't know. I think I'll just hold onto my Rift with Touch bundle.

Odinnii

I’m probably gonna get this. I have the Vive but there’s a lot of Rift games I’ve been wanting to check out.

Odinnii

Can't you play with Revive ?
havent really messed with revive but i also want the Rift for other reasons. Biggest being comfort. I have PSVR and Gear VR as well and Vive is the only headset that bothers me after using it for more than 30 mins. Another reason is the analouge sticks. Not a big fan of the touch pads.

I feel like the tech is there for a better quality screen? This is still a niche product and I would rather pay more if that means it will last longer.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
A bumb in res is nice but lower refresh rate and no improvements in FOV? Kinda meh. They also swapped the OLED panel for LCD.

Will wait for the gen after that.

Yeah HUGE disappointment with the lack of FOV upgrade, it’s severly limiting on Rift. It doesn’t have foveated rendering either, making this a small upgrade.

Guess I have to wait for Pimax.

HyGogg

Banned
The Rift S makes perfect sense right up until the price point. A refined, updated model with some compromises that are clearly meant to bring costs down makes a lot of sense for year 3 if it brings with it a major cost drop, but that is conspicuously missing here.

I can't help but feel like they designed this thing to be $250 or $300 but then someone got scared this would make the Quest look overpriced, so they raised it for the sake of parity. There's no other compelling reason why a unit with cheaper screens and no SoC would be the same price as Quest.

Mega Man

The Rift S makes perfect sense right up until the price point. A refined, updated model with some compromises that are clearly meant to bring costs down makes a lot of sense for year 3 if it brings with it a major cost drop, but that is conspicuously missing here.

I can't help but feel like they designed this thing to be $250 or $300 but then someone got scared this would make the Quest look overpriced, so they raised it for the sake of parity. There's no other compelling reason why a unit with cheaper screens and no SoC would be the same price as Quest.
Point well made... I anticipate seeing the price go down to $299 on black Friday and $350 around the holidays and there after. Sales will suffer in the beginning as their target audience seems to be non VR early adopters with powerful (and expensive) PCs. A rather small market imo

Top Bottom