• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odallus: The Dark Call - Now on Switch, PS4 and XOne

GAMETA

Banned
Here's a game that never made it big, but not because it doesn't deserve to!

Odallus released on Steam and GOG a few years ago, but you hardly see anyone talking about it, which is sad.
People should really give it a try, it's classic Castlevania at its best + a light Metroidvania core.

Maybe with the consoles release it get's some love :)

Last edited:

ultrazilla

This game is a no-brainer if you want a quality Castlevania homage! Totally love the game. Music, graphics, play control are all great! A great price as well!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah I was eyeballing the double pack on play-asia (also comes with Oniken). Seems like a cool homage. If the games are on par with how Shovel Knight handled its subject matter, then I think these might be worth picking up.

GAMETA

Banned
Yeah I was eyeballing the double pack on play-asia (also comes with Oniken). Seems like a cool homage. If the games are on par with how Shovel Knight handled its subject matter, then I think these might be worth picking up.

I'd say Shovel Knight has faster movement and relatively modern mechanics compared to Odallus and Oniken.

Odallus has a more "traditional" approach to gameplay... It's great and it's fair, but is slower and heavier.

Oniken is hard as hell, though, hehe.

GAMETA

Banned
Looks awesome, is it a single map?

Multiple levels following a progression structure, pretty much like the classic Castlevania games.

The catch here is that you can (and have to) revisit some levels to beat extra bosses and new sub-areas after you unlock new skills.

Here's a game that never made it big, but not because it doesn't deserve to!

Looks cool. When posting about a fairly unknown game, maybe consider adding a genre description to the thread title. "Classic Castlevania Action" or something might have helped interest.

Thanks for posting about this, though. It's always nice to hear about quality retro indie titles.

zenspider

I'd say Shovel Knight has faster movement and relatively modern mechanics compared to Odallus and Oniken.

Odallus has a more "traditional" approach to gameplay... It's great and it's fair, but is slower and heavier.

Oniken is hard as hell, though, hehe.

Would you recommend one to play first over the other (Odallus and Oniken)?

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
Would you recommend one to play first over the other (Odallus and Oniken)?

Oniken is more like Contra and Ninja Gaiden. It's good, but not exactly my cup of tea.

Odallus is pretty much Classic Castlevania, which, for me, were among the top 3 best franchises at the time...

A hard question would be Bloodstained Curse of the Moon or Odallus first, hehe.

GAMETA

Banned
Looks cool. When posting about a fairly unknown game, maybe consider adding a genre description to the thread title. "Classic Castlevania Action" or something might have helped interest.

Thanks for posting about this, though. It's always nice to hear about quality retro indie titles.

Yep, I agree. Neogaf doens't let me change the title, tho. Strange... maybe it's because I'm on mobile?

Something like: "Classic Clastlevania meets Metroidvania" would be cool.

zenspider

Oniken is more like Contra and Ninja Gaiden. It's good, but not exactly my cup of tea.

Odallus is pretty much Classic Castlevania, which, for me, were among the top 3 best franchises at the time...

A hard question would be Bloodstained Curse of the Moon or Odallus first, hehe.

I saw they were both 20% so I grabbed both, and the idea of a level-based Castlevania-esque was too tempting.

So far so good. It is unapologetically old-school, but borrows liberally from Rondo in terms of level design.

Is there not an options menu? Jump being mapped to odd buttons( 'A' on Switch) with no options is the greatest sin in gaming - is this Kirbyvania? - and if it wasn't for the 250+ hours of Smash Ultimate jumping with the right-most face button, I'd probably grow a neckbeard, sign up for twitter, and just straight rage at the devs.

Well, back to Gael Castle!

zenspider

What's really grabbing me about Odallus is that is really feels like a genuine MSX/NES era game that never got released. It has practically zero modern elements. The only anachronism I've spotted so far is a 'Saving...' on the bottom of the screen popping up at the manual checkpoints.

It's brutally and beautifully old-school stuff - Castlevania with a dash of Rygar. Definitely worth checking out when you crack on your resolution.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I really like the look of this and want to get it on Switch, but like with Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, I just can’t bring myself to pay the $15-20AUD they charge for these little indie games. I think they are overpriced. $10 and I’m in.

Cunty? Yes. But, I have to put my foot down somewhere.

GAMETA

Banned
I really like the look of this and want to get it on Switch, but like with Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, I just can’t bring myself to pay the $15-20AUD they charge for these little indie games. I think they are overpriced. $10 and I’m in.

Cunty? Yes. But, I have to put my foot down somewhere.

I completely understand... Indies here in Brazil cost from R$ 40 to 60... It's a lot of money when you compare to what people usually make around here...

The Steam version is cheaper, though... And it's on sale right now, 75% off!

cireza

Game looks pretty great, it was already under my radar.

A bit tired of the NES color palette however.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Love them on PC.

Odallus has a Castlevania atmosphere but with a Cthulhu and Berserk (the manga) touch. It feels heavier.

The levels reminds me Megaman X but bigger and more open. You can get upgrades (more life, carry more items, double jump, levitate, dash, new weapons and armor, etc) being smart in your exploration. The main character is faster than the Belmonts in Castlevania. He is more like Megaman Zero since there isn't any delay in his attacks and he walks faster -even faster when you get the dash, which is like Megaman X.

Oniken is more action oriented. Tight level design over exploration. Fans of Ninja Gaiden will like it a lot.

GAMETA

Banned
Game looks pretty great, it was already under my radar.

A bit tired of the NES color palette however.

I know the feeling, but I think you'll like it. Odallus has a classic look, it's really good art instead of just an 8-bit wannabe :)

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I completely understand... Indies here in Brazil cost from R$ 40 to 60... It's a lot of money when you compare to what people usually make around here...

The Steam version is cheaper, though... And it's on sale right now, 75% off!
I know and I’m tempted, but I really want these type of games on Switch for pick up and play on the go. If I buy them on PC, I tend to never play them. Mark of the Ninja is a great example. I’ve had it on Steam forever and only played the opening 15 minutes a few times. I want to get the Switch version where I know I’ll play it more, but it’s $30AUD.

Maguro

Odallus is probably my favorite game this generation. I hope there will be indies around till the end of times producing quality 8/16 bit games.

zenspider

Like they read my mind, Odallus patch announced for Switch:

-corrected grammatical errors
-corrected Aquaduct boat camera mirror
-corrected language text blitter
- added Options menu
-audio options
- custom controls
-CRT filter on/off
-Aspect Ratio Switch feature
- Analog control fine tuning (i think this will deal will the dead space and diagonals not registering as 'down')
-bug fixes

I hope among these is proper User Profile integration. For whatever reason, it doesn't show up in profile or parental logs, even though you select a user.

Fantastic news, and absolutely no excuse to pass on this gem - and it's 20% this week!

zenspider

Odallus update is out.
  • Extra control scheme for a more intuitive set-up (Jump is mapped to B button on new input option)
  • TV Filter (On/Off)
  • Music (On/Off)
  • SFX (On/Off)
  • A number of reported bugs and text glitches have also been fixed as part of the update.
  • Most importantly, a new Switch icon.
This game feels incredible coming off Castlevania Anniversary Collection. Highly recommended for anyone looking for more CV style action.

Top Bottom