• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odd of Dark Souls 2 getting a Next Gen port ?

Like MGS5 ?

We know the game runs on PC. It seems it could be very scalable :

10109620130612_023440_0_big.jpg

10109620130612_023440_1_big.jpg

Why would FROM not do it ?

def sim

They will probably do it. Maybe their team isn't big enough to handle PS4/Xbox ports alongside their current plans just yet.

Raide

I would say Odd's are good. Maybe get something later this year when they have got through dev a bit more. Or if Sony/MS throw cash at them to do it. :D

linko9

What they've said is that there are "currently no plans"

I highly, highly doubt one will come out. Even if it did, the assets aren't built for the new consoles, so it would look pretty unimpressive compared to other next-gen titles. I think the odds are extremely poor.

If I were them I'd shoot for a current gen / PC release, finish production, then do a GOTY/Platinum version for next gen if it is warranted.

(also a King's Field for 3DS pls ;))

I don't think they will, they seem like the kind of dev who want to move onwards and upwards. They'll probably move onto DS3 on next gen once this is finished.

Besides, they will be too busy developing Demon's Souls 2 for the PS4!

Zomba13

I doubt it. PC would be the closest thing and if it's a bad port Durante (Praise the Durante) will fix it for us.

Soriku

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/400577/previews/die-hard-from-software-talks-dark-souls-2/

With the next generation of consoles imminent and a brand new engine in hand, we questioned why From Software targeted current consoles, instead of PS4 and the next-Xbox.

"Discussions of next-gen did actually come up briefly," admitted Tanimura. "But if we were to develop for next-gen we wouldn't be able to deliver the game for a lot longer. We wanted to deliver something to fans as soon as possible.

"We still feel there's potential and ability for us to express a little bit more than what we did with Dark Souls, even on current-gen consoles. We hope to elaborate on what we were able to communicate with Dark Souls."

"We understand that next-gen is coming, it'd be a lie to say we didn't consider it at all, but right now there's no intent to have Dark Souls on next-gen."

"We understand that there are still people playing Dark Souls, but we also hear voices saying they want the next version. That's one of the other reasons we wanted to stay on current-gen, to deliver a newer experience as soon as possible."

syko de4d

Maybe they will release a new Edition 1 year later for next gen, like the prepare to die edition, and with that they even get some people buying the game twice ^^

Raide

its business.
Go for a small unknown user base, or a fucking massive one that bought the last one in spades.
Its no decision, as much as we dream of a next gen demons souls, we'll have to wait a couple of years.
#dealwithit

Whynotboth.gif

StuBurns

Banned
its business.
Go for a small unknown user base, or a fucking massive one that bought the last one in spades.
Its no decision, as much as we dream of a next gen demons souls, we'll have to wait a couple of years.
#dealwithit
Yeah, that's great business advice, just as long as your intended audience aren't the kind of people who are next-gen early adopters that would be selling/trading/gifting their current consoles.

C'mon, the game is march 2014. People would have waited 4 more month to get a next gen version ON TOP of current ver. well. I'll clock NG+++++++++ anyways :)

MEsoJD

Banned
Well there's the pc version and Durante... so I don't really care if it comes to next gen consoles.

Midou

Yeah I think they could use the PC version to port it to next-gen easier. I imagine they will eventually port it to PS4/XB1 to prolong the community life since a lot of people are probably going to move to next-gen mainly by end of 2014 or so when enough games are actually out.

Orayn

I'd say the odds are fairly good since the lead platform is PC, but the timeline for PS4/Xbone versions is anyone's guess. Despite this game having more of From Software's muscle behind it than the first one, it's still a fairly small production in the grander scheme of things and they've probably been locked into the current development plan for a while now.

Give them time; the last thing we want is the kind of rush that gave us Blighttown's framerate, sloppy zones near the end of the game, and oodles of cut content.

That said, I'd be fine with the game getting delayed for next gen versions. It needs as much time in the oven as possible.

Toxi

Banned
1. no
2. the framerate is far from fine, even if the smudged blurry poop filter graphics were fine
I never noticed that much stuttering with Demon's Souls framerate, even in the more chaotic parts like the Valley of Defilement. Dark Souls has some framerate stuttering, but it tends to be localized to specific areas (Izalith stages and Blighttown), and those issues were mostly fixed in the PC version. I don't see why it isn't possible to fix the frame-rate problems on current gen consoles.

And honestly, I prefer being able to buy an ugly game for 60 bucks than having to buy a new console and a slightly less ugly game for 460 (Not including online multiplayer).

Come on guys, you know its going to happen at this point. MAIN REASON: MONEY. Bamco isn't stupid. They know that if they make DS2 a cross gen release, they will reap nearly double the profits from hardcore fans. Myself being one of them, I will INDEED buy the game again for ps4/xbone day one, but im too impatient to wait so im buying it for current gen also. Souls is probly the only game that this kinda shit would fly for me though.

Bedlam

Come on guys, you know its going to happen at this point. MAIN REASON: MONEY. Bamco isn't stupid. They know that if they make DS2 a cross gen release, they will reap nearly double the profits from hardcore fans. Myself being one of them, I will INDEED buy the game again for ps4/xbone day one, but im too impatient to wait so im buying it for current gen also. Souls is probly the only game that this kinda shit would fly for me though.

Pretty much. I think most games that also have PC version will get a next-gen release at some point. Lords of Shadow 2 and so on. Not telling us about the next-gen version is simply a business decision.

BibiMaghoo

I would say the odds of that happening, would depend very much on if Sony have them making a new game for them.

If those rumours are true. I find is less likely we will see a next gen Dark Souls 2.

Z3M0G

I probably won't bother with it unless this happens. I didn't finish the first Dark Souls yet. I finished Demon's Souls.

Dark Souls 2 current gen, Demon's Souls 2 next gen ;)

I do find it strange that they have a PC version and won't be porting to at least one of the new consoles.l

Marvel

could never
My money is waiting for them should they decide to pull the trigger and do it. Or a next-gen Demon's Souls 2, happy with either.

sublimit

Banned
I hope they focus 100% on a next gen Dark Souls 3 (or Demon's Souls 2) instead.Unless some other developer does the porting.

QaaQer

It will happen if the install base is there and/or they believe that a significant portion of the core 360/ps3 base has moved on.

My take is that it is a mistake to put this game on ps360 even though it is also on PC because it will be seen primarily as a PS360 game. Getting people excited for a ps360 game in 2014 is going to be hard.

Faustek

Just a question.

I have read somewhere that PC would be the lead platform this time around.

Senility or am I remembering this right?

Deadstar

Thanks for the spoiler images. I would prefer if Dark Souls would come out on PS4 so I don't have to get it on pc. I'm really worried about cheaters/hackers ruining my first play through.

I won't be buying Dark Souls 2 due to FROM making pc the priority. The series would be nothing without PS3 and 360.

This is a ridiculous statement. I'm sure it will look as good as possible on the ps3 and xbox. Why would they gimp the pc version for no reason? They want their game to look as good as it can.

Top Bottom