• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddboxx on Steam -- warning, read thread before purchasing

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
confused said:
Eww, inferior PC port..... Notsureifwant.gif
Nah I'm not touching it, unless they come to their senses and upgrade the PC version too.

edit: $25 is too much anyway

Bebpo

Banned
$25 is still a good price considering 2 of the games aren't that old and this is their first time ever on PC.

That being said I'll wait for a sale and pick it up at <$20 since I already have the first two games on steam.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
dr3upmushroom said:
Is there anything preventing modders from creating high quality models for the PC version?

Some difficult build tools ;)

Also, an update on pricing:

The Oddboxx : all 4 games
£24.99 €19.99 $19.99

Stranger’s Wrath
£14.99 €11.99 $11.99

Munch’s Oddysee
£9.99 €6.99 $6.99

Abe’s Oddysee
£4.99 €3.99 $3.99

Abe’s Exoddus
£4.99 €3.99 $3.99

Taken from here: http://www.oddworld.com/?p=271

I wish I could gift away my copies of Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus I've yet to play. Kind of sucks when you buy a package on Steam, you just "lose" the extra copies of games in most respects.

Edit: You can buy each title separately? Nevermind then.

Mrbob

Glad I can buy these separately. I already own the first two and the only one I really want is Stranger's Wrath. Shame the PC version isn't being updated like the PS3 version. Makes no sense. Not sure if I want anymore or might wait to see how the PS3 version turns out first. Since it is just a dirty Xbox port on PC I'll probably wait for a sub 5 dollar price drop. I'd pay $11.99 if it was fully enhanced like on PS3.

fresquito

I hope nobody buys it. I bought the first two for 3€ and I felt ripped. You can't really play them with the low resolution, no proper controller support or button configuration. It's a shame that you can get a much better experience with a psx emulator.

K.Jack said:
Nah I'm not touching it, unless they come to their senses and upgrade the PC version too.

edit: $25 is too much anyway

Maybe they'll surprise us and patch in the PS3 stuff later on.

But I'd take IQ and framerate over better textures and models any day of the week.

I'm boycotting for a few months, will eventually give in and get the PS3 version if they don't update the PC version. Would love to run Stranger's Wrath in 1080p on my HTPC but with the PS3 assets.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Day 0.

I still vividly remember receiving Abe's Oddysee for my 10th birthday. So good.

Bebpo

Banned
Can't wait. Really cool they're being sold separate since I think a lot of us have the first two either on steam or psn already.

Will get Munch day 1. Then debate Stranger's Wrath for a while as to whether to get the PC one or PSN one.

Can't wait to replay Munch in HD. I missed out somehow on saving 3 dudes when I first beat it. NO MAN GETS LEFT BEHIND THIS TIME! :lol

Dunno why, played Stranger's Wrath on the Xbox, but I just couldn't get hooked on it. Think I stopped playing after 2 hours. Gonna give it another shot and see what the big deal is.

Bebpo said:
Can't wait. Really cool they're being sold separate since I think a lot of us have the first two either on steam or psn already.

Will get Munch day 1. Then debate Stranger's Wrath for a while as to whether to get the PC one or PSN one.

yeah, I'm wondering what to do about Stranger's Wrath. From what I understand (I could be totally wrong) the PC version is going to be the Xbox version at a higher resolution and things like that, but the same assets. PS3 version has more upgrades or something.

I might end up getting both. Stranger's Wrath is one of my favorite Xbox games.

You know what takes the piss the most? It will probably sell like garbage on PS3 in comparison to on Steam so essentially PC gamers will be subsidising Just Add Water's improved PS3 version if it tanks.

boutrosinit said:
Some difficult build tools ;)

Also, an update on pricing:

The Oddboxx : all 4 games
£24.99 €19.99 $19.99

Stranger’s Wrath
£14.99 €11.99 $11.99

Munch’s Oddysee
£9.99 €6.99 $6.99

Abe’s Oddysee
£4.99 €3.99 $3.99

Abe’s Exoddus
£4.99 €3.99 $3.99

Taken from here: http://www.oddworld.com/?p=271
These prices are the wrong way around, bro...

Bebpo

Banned
Linkzg said:
yeah, I'm wondering what to do about Stranger's Wrath. From what I understand (I could be totally wrong) the PC version is going to be the Xbox version at a higher resolution and things like that, but the same assets. PS3 version has more upgrades or something.

I might end up getting both. Stranger's Wrath is one of my favorite Xbox games.

PC version will also be 60fps.

If they're both the same price ($15) I'll probably go for the PSN one. But if the PC one goes on sale for a good low price before then I'll play it on PC.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Probably not going to buy the PC version if it doesn't have the new models. And since I don't have a PS3, that means I probably won't buy these at all.

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but I found this on oddworld.com.

"The release of Oddboxx will also coincide with the first day of the Annual Steam Holiday Sale, meaning that during the first 24 hours of release, the game will be sold with 50% of its marked price discounted.

After this and until January 3rd, a 25% discount will apply to the marked price.

The Steam Holiday Sale runs from the 20th of December, through to January 3rd, as do the discounts above, exclusively through Steam."

Day 1 50% off! Yes please!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Awesome :lol

I was thinking it would be hilarious if they had a sale on day 1 and a 50% sale seals the deal for me.

Bii

Rodney McKay said:
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but I found this on oddworld.com.

"The release of Oddboxx will also coincide with the first day of the Annual Steam Holiday Sale, meaning that during the first 24 hours of release, the game will be sold with 50% of its marked price discounted.

After this and until January 3rd, a 25% discount will apply to the marked price.

The Steam Holiday Sale runs from the 20th of December, through to January 3rd, as do the discounts above, exclusively through Steam."

Day 1 50% off! Yes please!

Looks like I'm getting it. I held off buying the first two Oddworld games on Steam the last holiday sale.

TouchMyBox said:
Maybe they'll surprise us and patch in the PS3 stuff later on.

But I'd take IQ and framerate over better textures and models any day of the week.

Now there's an idea we HAVE thought of ;-)

Truth be told the reason the PC version doesn't have the HD models is the PS3 version isn't done yet, and we wanted to get the Oddboxx out this Holiday Season.

It is HIGHLY likely we will be releasing an update for PC at a later date!

Stewart Gilray
Just Add Water ;)

vazel

Banned
GoldenHelmet said:

Truth be told the reason the PC version doesn't have the HD models is the PS3 version isn't done yet, and we wanted to get the Oddboxx out this Holiday Season.

Stewart Gilray
Just Add Water ;)
Awesome! Glad I found this out before I bought the PS3 version.

wwm0nkey

GoldenHelmet said:

Stewart Gilray
Just Add Water ;)
I love you, that is all :lol

szaromir

Banned
Nice!

GoldenHelmet, can you answer my question about Munch's Oddyssey? Did you do something about the fog? I'd prefer to have the viewing distance as far as the levels are modeled.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It was already pretty likely that I was gonna buy this, but for 50% off on day 1? How can I resist?

Suairyu

Banned
Ouch. And a friend just bought me the doublepack on Steam. When she finds out, she will be pissed. Are the versions of those two in the Oddboxx identical, or are they upgraded and will they be considered different games by Steam?

wwm0nkey

Suairyu said:
Ouch. And a friend just bought me the doublepack on Steam. When she finds out, she will be pissed. Are the versions of those two in the Oddboxx identical, or are they upgraded and will they be considered different games by Steam?
The Oddboxx is only going to be $12.50 for the first 24 hours so if you are getting it just for Much and Stranger you are still getting your moneys worth :lol

ArjanN

Suairyu said:

We don't know yet. Considering the low price, I'm guessing they'll be the same. Which would be a shame, because last time I looked at them they seemed pretty dated.

Lime

Now I'm definitely going to buy it, even though I already have the first two games. 50 % off and a later PC update? I can't see why not :D

wwm0nkey

Hey Golden any updates on the 360 Strangers Wrath yet? Because I am willing to buy that game 3 times on PC,PS3, and 360 :lol

V_Ben

Banned
GoldenHelmet said:

Stewart Gilray
Just Add Water ;)

Huh, figured you worked there, but whoa. Nice to see the CEO posting here, and keeping us all informed :D

Excellent work!

(Now... about OS X :p)

I need some sort of email notification for when this drops or ill forget :lol Never did play munch or strangers but abes games are amazing and ingrained into my childhood.

Plasma

Banned
GoldenHelmet said:

Stewart Gilray
Just Add Water ;)

Nice I think I'll pick these up in the sale then.

Pikelet

So it is half the price of what was already a well-priced set of games and i can reasonably expect to get the PS3 quality models in a while? Fucking sold.

Ah, digital distribution is the best.

An-Det

Indeed, at that price and with that potential update it's a great deal. I was planning on waiting for a sale, so day 1 for me.

Top Bottom