• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Soulstorm Cinematic Trailer

I adore Oddworld, and I love the sense of humour in the franchise.

i heard they struggled with the latest release. I think if this one doesn't do well they close shop for sure which is sad. someone would have to acquire them etc.

they would do a lot better if they were exclusive to any console and were advertised well as even a small mascot imo. I think they just get left in the dust as is.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
i heard they struggled with the latest release. I think if this one doesn't do well they close shop for sure which is sad. someone would have to acquire them etc.

they would do a lot better if they were exclusive to any console and were advertised well as even a small mascot imo. I think they just get left in the dust as is.
That’s unfortunate. Is the original creator still making these new editions?

I can't say I really understand remaking the original games instead of continuing the story where it left off from Munch's Odyssey, I mean MO was almost 20 years ago now.

Bullet Club

I thought this was a new game?
From the website:

Witness Abe's horrifying conflict with a terrifying new machination.
A fresh narrative - a complete story retake inspired by our original tale.
A big visual and cinematic leap aiming to break new ground for Oddworld.
Intelligent new mechanics, twisted new devices enabling highly explosive deviousness.
A dark parable that tells an epic tale of a volatile society pushed to its limits.

Shakka43

Woah, I didn't even know this was a thing. This and the new Trine game have been pretty nice surprises for me.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Got some receipts for that? Last I remember, New and Tasty sold well for them.

Seraphym

This is a series I always loved, more for the world building than the games.
From Abe's, Stranger and Munch. I do wish they continued the main story though.

Will pick this up too

Hudo

I yearn for this game. Oddworld was a big part of my childhood and Lorne Lanning is one of the coolest dudes in the industry, IMHO. It still feels surreal to me that this exists but I am glad as hell that it does.

bosnianpie

For some reason the Oddworld games, especially the first two, always remind me of what gaming used to be like. Small scale studios with big hearts and a motivation that seemed to strech beyond profit. No DLC, microtransactions, open world, mmo, patches or discussion about diversity. Just pure fun.
Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus were not the best games out there but I have more fond memories playing them than many AAA games.

Soulstorm looks promising and I will definitely support this game. I just hope the main focus will be puzzles and clever gameplay rather than some big world and a deep story. I wish them good luck and hope it will be a success.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Got some receipts for that? Last I remember, New and Tasty sold well for them.
One of the devs (Lorn Lanning in fact) was actually on here round the time the game released and said it was underperforming. No idea what it's at now or if it ever sped up but back then he wasn't all too happy.
Same basic plot and thus taking place before Munch's Odyssey, right?
It takes place after Abe's Oddysee so it would still be before Munch but at this point we don't even know if Munch is considered canon anymore. They're pretty much taking the old plot and making a brand new game around it.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
It is a remake of Abe's Exoddus just like the previous release was a remake of the original game.

I forget the guys name....the guy who did the good God of War critique video posted a few times at Gaf...Mathew something.....

https://www.youtube.com/user/Matthewmatosis I believe

He has a good look on his channel at the Abe's Oddysee remake, and I was pretty shocked to see how they handled that game. I forget all of the specifics he goes over, but it was very clear that the developers did not do a good job of retaining what made the original great. There were several graphical "enhancements" that negatively impacted gameplay, and a few other weird quirks. I was really interested in it, then watched his look at the game, and decided I'd rather just play the original.

Hope this fares better.

Last edited:

Isa

Well I'm excited for it, I love all their games. Their worlds seemed to share that sort of Earthworm Jim era of passion and humor. And both occasionally managed to shock my mom a few times. Stranger's Wrath is my favorite by far, I still need to go back and play through it on Vita. I still mess around with friends doing various impressions from the game(s). Their npc's were so great and fun to mess around with. Haha I still get a chuckle from the bandits taunting the Stranger, I'll never forget first hearing "Damn boy you pretty!"

They've seemed to always have a knack for creating great worlds and graphics. Its impressive that such "gross" character design can elicit both humor and then go for the feels with great success. Really looking forward to playing the final product.

Top Bottom