• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD |OT|

Tizoc

Beat the game today on Hard. Really liked the game overall but man was Hard mode a pain in the ass lol.
Replaying on Easy seems much more comfortable (I'm halfway through the game now
on my way to the Wolvark Facility
). Only 1 more trophy to go before I platinum it which I'll do tomorrow X3.

A few things though-
What was cut out during the game's development? In the Art section there's a cutscene that doesn't appear in the game.
Also, is this how the story is?
Sekto, an octopus, enraged that the Grubbs have been eating waterlife creatures such as fish (which were their food source...OR they also ate his kind?), took over a Steef, built the dam and killed off all the other Steef. In the ending, Stranger defeats Sekto, but he escapes
Is that how it is? Is there more to the game's mythos by any chance?

Ocaso

I finally bought this thanks to the PSN Plus sale. Playing through the first sections, I'm amazed at just how well the game has held up. The controls feel smooth and responsive, the game oozes atmosphere, and the silky framerate is the icing on the cake. The new character models look fantastic, but now that I've played it in person I understand why the graphics didn't stand out as much as expected.

I think it's still a beautiful game (particularly in the new widescreen ratio), but while the bump in resolution and anti-aliasing adds clarity the original could never hope to emulate, the textures still betray its prior-gen roots. This ultimately doesn't matter, since the original was such a visual treat that an increase in resolution and framerate still provide a visual treat, but I too expected a greater impact from (and a greater percentage of) the remade assets.

Nonetheless, it's a bargain at its current price. Looking forward to the 3D update.

Rattles

Wait till you get to the forest areas.

The game is gorgeous and at 60fps the game is what most current gen games should have been.

Ocaso

Wow, it's definitely true that this game gets prettier the further in you get. I've yet to reach the
forest area
, but even now, just a couple of hours into the game, it's provided some beautiful vistas. The textures may not be quite up to modern HD standards, but their variety, the wonderful art direction, and the nearly perfect framerate combine with the high-poly characters to impress. (I'd played through the game on the Xbox, but had not done so since.)

I also started the game in the new hard mode, and while it managed to piss me off at times
(I'm upset that Boilz Booty was impossible to bag alive, since the futile attempt resulted in numerous deaths)
, it's resulting in a very different, more cautious approach to combat than what I remember from my one and only playthrough on the original Xbox. It feels surprisingly fresh.

Just started this game today...could not resist. The game looks great and I must say...JAW did an awesome job! This game looks truly amazing!

Tizoc

1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg

EDIT: There need to be a Moolah and Bison Dollars version of that...

Ocaso

I finally completed this game last night on the hard difficulty. It was pretty challenging, occasionally frustrating, but ultimately satisfying. The gameplay held up incredibly well, and I'd forgotten just how majestic the soundtrack got near the end. This was a fantastic HD port and I hope it's done well enough to warrant more Oddworld games down the line. I suspect the stereo 3D and Move patch will motivate another playthrough.

On that note, I stumbled upon this Making Of Stranger's Wrath HD article on Digital Foundry while searching for news if that patch. It's somewhat technical, but a good read if you're a fan of the game.

NIGHT-

Loving this game! It 's just as awesome as it was back in the day. I am having some audio problems though, seems like some audio lines are missing from the "chickens". It's like they start to say something and never finish. Anyone else having issues?

RPGCrazied

Just got the dynamic theme and game for PS3. I have yet to start it. Any missables or anything? I've never played the original, so I should be in for a treat.

How long is the game?

RPGCrazied

Is it really 15 hours long? Even 12 will be just fine for me. Considering other $14.99 games only lasting a couple of hours.

RPGCrazied

It is, and then there's the trophies/difficulties for you to get a extra few hours out of.

Cool. :) The download finished and going to start later on tonight. I remember the Abe games on PS1, but never had an old Xbox, so didn't get to play this. Then looking around PSN today I saw it, read a review and was interested.

And I hear they are doing one of the Abe games in HD too? Bought!

f@luS

More than a member.
i changed my ps3 harddrive ,and i download the game again

it start, it ask to download update and it stucks on this screen (1.01)
deleted, downloaded 3 times, the same issue

any idea?

Ocaso

A bad hard drive, maybe? Contact Sony, as they may be able to help you.

On a related note, wasn't a Move/stereo 3D patch supposed to be released in March. I'd give the game another playthrough if this came to fruition.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Have alot of PSN dollars sitting around and was thinking of grabbing this. If i never played it before, how is the HD version? Looking through the trophy list, is it adviseable to play it first on hard for that trophy, or no?

Atolm

Bought this a few days ago, I'm very impressed with the port after the huge trainwreck that the PC version was. It's one of the best HD remasters out there, along with GoW Volume II.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Picked this up last night after never playing it before. Wow....this game is just amazing. I hope the other games are as good when they get the HD treatment!

Zia

Necrobump. Played through the game for the first time ever this weekend -- why this isn't mentioned in the same breath as other quirky, Western, last-gen games such as Psychonauts and Beyond Good & Evil I'll never know. Because it's a much better game than either of those. It's also incredibly intelligent and genuinely moving. I haven't been this surprised by a game in an extremely long time. Belongs on every Top 100 list. Amazing stuff.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Necrobump. Played through the game for the first time ever this weekend -- why this isn't mentioned in the same breath as other quirky, Western, last-gen games such as Psychonauts and Beyond Good & Evil I'll never know. Because it's a much better game than either of those. It's also incredibly intelligent and genuinely moving. I haven't been this surprised by a game in an extremely long time. Belongs on every Top 100 list. Amazing stuff.

Yeah this game is great!!! Playing it through for the first time now myself, and im doing it on hard for my 1st run (saving time, going for the platinum), so its a nice challenge too. Humor is great, and it looks great in HD too!

I have been playing this for couple of hours now (second village) and I dig it: it has smooth gameplay, smooth graphics and great controls but I am wondering if the later missions offer more variety than the ones in the beginning. It already feels sort of repetitive, maybe I should just skip capturing most of the enemies alive and just blast away.

Heh, every time I see this thread it reminds me how much I wanted to play this but never had an xbox, now I've had the game for over six months and have put off playing it in wait of the HD patch that always seems to be coming out next month... But next month never arrives.

Maybe I should just enjoy it the way it is.

I am on the 4th town and I still think that is pretty damn monotone. That one boss where you had to shoot the shields first was god awful. What's wrong with me?

scitek

I just beat this today for the first time. I've actually owned the game on Xbox all these years, but never really touched it once the current console generation started. I went back today and played about an hour of the original version for comparison's sake, though, and I have to commend JAW on the job they did updating everything while still respecting the original material. Some things in the game made me wonder if they had messed up something graphically when it came to things like shadows casting through floors, but the Xbox version has the same problem, so it's not their fault. The ONLY issue I had was Stranger's gallop being messed up as he'll stop and have trouble moving forward occasionally, but that's really just more annoying than anything.

Somehow I'd gone all these years without knowing the twist that happens about 2/3rds the way through, and I actually thought it was neat how all the mechanics remained the same, but your ammo got stronger and more useful. There was one part I wasn't too fond of right near the end, but I managed to get past it after a few tries. Probably just my current-day gaming self being softened by so many easy games lately.

Anyway, yeah, heck of a free update. I wish they'd been able to remaster the cutscenes from the source material in true HD. I'd have taken a download two or three times the size for that, but beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

Thrakier

I'm playing the PC version but I have some problems with the sound. Everything seems fucking loud except Stranger himself. I feel strangely disconnected from the game.

Thrakier

So, I finished it today. Sadly the latter half was lacking and it got more and more repetitive and being "just a shooter". The twist was kinda cool though, but the story was underdeveloped and actually not on par with the Abe games. All in all an ok experience.

vitmanov

Banned
Just a little less then year ago when people were asking for a ports on the Switch they were like "Never happening, New & Tasty sold like trash on the Wii U".

Hudo

Sorry to kinda hijack this thread but are there any news/updates on Oddworld: Soulstorm? I remember that Lorne Lanning held a talk about it at EGX 2018 or EGX 2017. He argued that he couldn't show the game fully because he was working on a publishing deal or something.

Top Bottom