• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD |OT|

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
jXEhV1fxc10Nz.png

Release Dates:

PlayStation 3 (PSN)
  • NA December 27, 2011
  • EU December 21, 2011
  • AUS December 21, 2011

PlayStation Vita
  • NA TBA 2012
  • EU TBA 2012
  • AUS TBA 2012

Developers:
Oddworld Inhabitants
Just Add Water (PC/PS3)

Price:
$14.99/£9.99/€12.99

Genre:
First-person/Third-person action-adventure

Story:
The game begins with a bounty hunter, known only as the Stranger, catching various Outlaws and criminals to try to raise money for a mysterious operation. Later on, he hears a story about a town of creatures called Grubbs that is being tormented by a demon. The town used to be protected by a race of creatures called the Steef, but they are extinct.

Sceenshots:
6471905515_63ba1f2028_z.jpg

6471905163_74eb0c9211_z.jpg

6471904739_4b66f4d634_z.jpg

Additional Details:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33257094&postcount=1
PlayStation®3 Move Support will be coming in 2012: http://www.iwaggle3d.com/2011/12/no-move-for-strangers-wrath.html

Reviews
Eurogamer - 9/10

"Stranger's Wrath has finally received the lavish treatment it deserves, and the gaming world has a chance to reclaim one of its brightest treasures."

The Sixth Axis - 9/10

"There’s no doubt about it, Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD is punching well above its £9.99 price bracket. The production values coupled with over ten hours of quality gameplay mean the game would easily be worth £40 if stuck on the shelf of your local retailer."

C&VG - 8.3 - Video Review

Stranger's Wrath remains fantastic value. It's a great remake and a perfect fit for PS3 - the most sensible thing about this quirky gem.

PSN Stores - 5/5

...a wonderful game that has been lovingly updated for its PSN release. Time hasn’t changed just how fun it is to play, the story is just as intriguing and mysterious as it was all those years ago, and the voice acting is still wonderfully off kilter. If you never played it when it first came out, I forgive you. Just make sure that you play it this time around.

Credits to:
mocoworm's review thread: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453804
wwm0nkey's thread: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454713
Wikipedia

Utako

Banned
So this is PSN-exclusive? No PC release? Or is that already "HD"?

I've never played this, and have wanted to for years. I'll buy it for the exact price.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Dreamer RD

damn, wanted to buy, but it's not available in Russian store

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD (£9.99/€12.99) Rating: PEGI 12

Availability: Not available in Portugal, Russian Federation or Ukraine
File Size: 3248 MB

>_>

def sim

Original didn't sell too well partly because of the silly exclusivity with MS. Now they're doing it again with Sony. I hope they were paid well for this and it sells amazingly on PSN!

Rattles

Got it the hour it released and have been loving it thus far.

Btw Is that Aus release date correct?? it came out in new zealand on thursday I woulda thought it would be the same for Aus..

Bukana

Great OT, I am still torned, I wanna play it on PS3 but I think it will look awesome-r on Vita.

Original didn't sell too well partly because of the silly exclusivity with MS. Now they're doing it again with Sony. I hope they were paid well for this and it sells amazingly on PSN!

It is not released on XBLA because of the size of the game, Microsoft said it's too large!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Any word on when?
They said in a couple of months. For now, PC version is not "HD" (in a sense that it has no massively updated assets present in this version, it's just a carbon copy of Xbox version, and is also notorious for problems it has with Ati cards)

They said in a couple of months. For now, PC version is not "HD" (in a sense that it has no massively updated assets present in this version, it's just a carbon copy of Xbox version, and is also notorious for problems it has with Ati cards)

Yeah I remember. I bought it right away and was in the minority saying we should just be a tad more patient and the bugs will be worked out. That one guy from the company who posted here I think got scared off though when people were upset basic pc options weren't included.

Great game and unique experience, I bet it aged well. This gen is filled with FPS, but they're nothing like this game.

I can't wait to replay it!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wanted to play this so bad when it first came out but I didn't have an Xbox. Really looking forward to this.

Raonak

Banned
I don't know what MS's standards are for GoD, but couldn't they release it on that just like RE4 and the Crysis remake?

I think that was only of the reasons, the other being that JAW are self-publishing the game, which MS doesn't like. I think you need a proper publisher (not sure if thats only for GoD or all games in general)

def sim

I think that was only of the reasons, the other being that JAW are self-publishing the game, which MS doesn't like. I think you need a proper publisher (not sure if thats only for GoD or all games in general)

Huh

Microsoft needs to sort out their DD system, it sounds like a mess with all these unnecessary restrictions.

Game is fucking badass. Controls are a little to get used to for me but the rest is smooth sailing. Started on Hard. Will save it for the Holiday break I think.

Number45

I'm going to buy this and actually complete it this time. When I last played it I got frustrated at a point in the game where you have to race through a building (can't remember the specifics) and just gave up on it - I think someone told me later it was literally right before the final boss. :(

I was reading over the OP again and remembered the crazy twist of an ending. Soogood.gif

Is that the twist
where you find out he's one of them
or something else? Don't want to know what it is if it's not that, a yes/something else will be fine!

ULTROS!

Is that the xbl limit? Oh wow. This game is a 3.3GB download.

Its also a very good port. Some slowdown in loading transition areas, but other than that its great. Were the CGI bits updated? The intro still looks hot.

As far as I know, the XBLA limit is 1.2GB. Although one game had an exception, which is Lara Croft: The Guardian of Light. It was a bit over 1.2GB.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Based on how the PC version went, and the fact that game reviewers generally assume that bugs will be fixed in final retail code, I would highly recommend waiting a few days for word of mouth to set in.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm waiting for a PSN card to arrive, but I'm very excited to pick this up, probably the last 'classic' of the last gen I've never played.

Withnail

One of my favourite games of all time and this HD update is magnificent. JAW have done a great job.

Can't believe MS turned this down just because it doesn't fit into any of their silly compartments. Idiots.

ULTROS!

The limit is now 2GB

I see. So that means that's one inconvenience down for SW to be on 360. What's keeping it from coming out on XBLA (GoD is a given already)?

Edit: Correction, the game is 1.7GB

Edit 2: Just found out that the 2GB limit was implemented years ago. Strange. How big is the game on PS3 after install?

Withnail

I see. So that means that's one inconvenience down for SW to be on 360. What's keeping it from coming out on XBLA (GoD is a given already)?

Edit: Correction, the game is 1.7GB

MS don't recognise Oddworld Inhabitants as a publisher because they haven't sold 2m games at retail (EA published their titles last gen). That means in MS terms they should hand their game over to a "proper" publisher or concentrate on XBLIG.

ULTROS!

MS don't recognise Oddworld Inhabitants as a publisher because they haven't sold 2m games at retail (EA published their titles last gen). That means in MS terms they should hand their game over to a "proper" publisher or concentrate on XBLIG.

I see but how do a number of indie games like Limbo and Braid get to XBLA? Is that special deal for a year's worth of exclusivity?

ULTROS!

Thanks. Seems kinda restrictive for indie devs to go XBLA unless they're published by MS. :/

Ocaso

This title defines "underappreciated". It was one of the best games of the last generation, and I hope it finds the success it deserves with this HD re-release (though for some reason I suspect it'll be just as overlooked). I already purchased the PC release but will double-dip on PSN on the off-chance there's a day 1 discount for PSN plus members.

Yasae

Banned
Based on how the PC version went, and the fact that game reviewers generally assume that bugs will be fixed in final retail code, I would highly recommend waiting a few days for word of mouth to set in.
Agreed, though the GAF backlash was beyond ridiculous. It was spoiled rotten entitlement city.

Top Bottom