• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD |OT|

Ocaso

Agreed, though the GAF backlash was beyond ridiculous. It was spoiled rotten entitlement city.

It might have been slightly exaggerated, but not unwarranted. The game was rendering in software mode. Software mode! Like in 1996! Honestly, how does something like that slip through?

Azar

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is easily one of the most creative, personality-filled shooters ever created, and practically a textbook on game design. Freedom to approach encounters in different ways? It's yours. Evolving skills and combat dynamics? They're there. Backtracking? Ain't no such thang.

Play this game.

wwm0nkey

It might have been slightly exaggerated, but not unwarranted. The game was rendering in software mode. Software mode! Like in 1996! Honestly, how does something like that slip through?

Well they did fix those things as quick as they could. They are also only an 8 person team right now too.

epmode

Stranger's Wrath was an awful port on day one, full stop. It's nice that they finally came around to kinda fixing it (so long as you don't have an ATI card) but the complaints were absolutely warranted.

And am I the only one that immediately assumes that people who talk about "spoiled" or "entitled" gamers are the worst people on the internet?

Rattles

If they throw this on a blu ray with some more goodies I would double dip. The game is awesome, Love strangers running animation also the graphics are nice clean and sharp. Only the character shadows are a let down with them showing up even when they are on the floor above you and stuff.

Also think the guys over at insomniac should try out the tps/fps gameplay idea for the ratchet series as it works so well here.

The_Monk

WHAT? Why is this not releasing in Portugal? What did we do? =/

I saw the release date for Europe and then saw it's not available in here, what's with that? So random...

Easily one of the best original XBOX games, so it's surprising that it never was BC on X360...or even an Arcade/GoD release now. This and Republic Commando just arrived too late in the system's life and too close to X360's release to receive their fair share of notice.

AniHawk

looking forward to this. got $40 in psn cards to get sonic cd, valkyria chronicles dlc, and trine 2, and i have enough for this leftover.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I want to buy this but I'll wait for some proper impressions after the flak the PC versions got. One of my favourite games of all time.

StuBurns

Banned
Just tried the game at last, I'd never played the original. It makes a strong first impression. Very charming. I'm a little surprised how much they pile on in a very short amount of time. Even a game using 'normal' weapons tends to give you them over a few hours, and you already know what those weapons do.

It oddly reminds me of Half-Life a little bit, which is the last thing I expected.

I think generally this series is obscenely overrated. The first one was a cool idea, but very boring and repetitive, the first one on Xbox out right sucked, but I should have given this game a chance first time around for sure.

In terms of the port itself it's hard to say without playing the original, but it looks very nice, and the sound is really great. If I'll ultimately love the game or not, I'm not sure, but I'm looking forward to playing more of it.

So a guy on the PS3Trophies.org boards posted this

So, iv'e been playing this game on hard, and i'm on the last boss. So, oblivious to what was going to happen, i ran out in the open, and got caught in
the boss laser beam
, it killed me of course. I thought, okay, better not do that again, but, as soon as I respawned, the game put me back in the position of where i'm getting caught
in the fire of the beam
, and i am continuously dying now and can't finish the game. Now that's bullsh*t. Can anyone suggest something that I can do?

To which Stewart Gilray, CEO of JAW posted:

Stewart Gilray said:
Hi,
I'm sorry you had that bug, but I can honestly say, we never found it, our QA team never found it and neither did Sony QA.

It must have been an issue in the Xbox original as well.

Sorry :-/

Stewart
CEO - JAW

So a tip to all people playing right now. MAKE A HARD SAVE BEFORE THE FINAL BOSS FIGHT, or you might get screwed. Let's hope JAW patches it up.

Can't wait to my post Christmas grubby paws on this after work tonight. Ive played the original at least a half a dozen times. Platinum here I come.

Those screenshots look amazing! I had no idea they were doing this. I picked it up during the 2010 Steam Holiday sale but haven't touched it. It's true that PC version is getting an update? If not, I'll just pick it up on PSN.

V_Ben

Banned
Those screenshots look amazing! I had no idea they were doing this. I picked it up during the 2010 Steam Holiday sale but haven't touched it. It's true that PC version is getting an update? If not, I'll just pick it up on PSN.

It will, but that update is a while away. :)

burgerdog

So is the ps3 version any good? I have the pc version and I'd rather not wait for them to update and simply play it now.

So is the ps3 version any good? I have the pc version and I'd rather not wait for them to update and simply play it now.

It's good.

I've noticed some slowdown which I don't remember being there in the Xbox version, but the game is pretty much identical for the most part. The updated visuals is a nice touch, but it fails to hit the 'OMG, it's beautiful' vibe the original managed, but that's to be expected really.

Controls have translated well and load times (of which there are very few) are very short.

burgerdog

It's good.

I've noticed some slowdown which I don't remember being there in the Xbox version, but the game is pretty much identical for the most part. The updated visuals is a nice touch, but it fails to hit the 'OMG, it's beautiful' vibe the original managed, but that's to be expected really.

Controls have translated well and load times (of which there are very few) are very short.

Good to hear, apparently I had $6 in my wallet so I only ended up paying $9 for it.

This was one of my favorite games on the original Xbox. I honestly don't remember it very well because I played through it so quickly. So this is the perfect time to replay it.

This thread needs more activity. It just came out in the US today and nobody has posted here for the last 8 hours?? How sad!!

Buy it people!

Yagharek

It's good.

Slowdown is only an issue in transition areas Ive found. ie long tunnel areas just before a new open area. Presumably the game is loading there, so I'm excusing it. No slowdown during gunfights at least.

I remember renting this game back in the day and enjoying it but it got really hard towards the end and I had I drop it to easy mode I finish it (or I use a cheat, I can't remember)

Can I still do that?

Ocaso

I'm a bit disappointed there's no day 1 discount for this on PSN Plus. I'm almost certain to purchase it down the line, but not at full price with the Fall backlog still unfinished. Still, I definitely wish these guys success with the game since it might lead to a revitalized Oddworld franchise.

burgerdog

I made it to the second town and caught up to my steam progress over the course of one year. The game looks really good and there's been odd drops during zone transitions, however, you're not gunfighting there so it's not that bad. Can't wait to play some more.

Coming from someone that picked up the original version day 1, I had been looking forward to this release since the initial announcement. However, I cant help but be somewhat disappointed by the overall port. Some of JAWs greenlighted decisions are baffling to me. Most notably so far is the complete lack of neon blue and lightning emitting around and within the inner shell of the Zappflies. It's been completely replaced by some slimey solid neon green lacking any sort of additional animation or depth.
What's more shitty, however, was the decision to replace the screen pictured below and the bounty collection screen (which looks similar) with some drabby, ugly brown wooden post with a rudimentary list of bounties collected and a sum total of moolah earned. Additionally, the pictures of the bounties, (since theres no pictures shown of the enemies you killed or captured like in the original) are all in an off black and white color, which to me, for a game that took years to re-hash is extremely half-assed.
OW4.jpg

The original. Why the fuck would you ditch this presentation?!

The increased framerate and improved quick save system are the only strong points I can find at the moment that really stick out for me. Also, the third person camera control is much more fluid and quick. The graphical update as a whole looks good, but it isnt as jaw dropping as expected and I realize its because Ive played the original version so many times before. The updated look I find comparable to the recently re-released re4 whereas both games were so gorgeous to begin with, not much really needed to be done except to makes things a tad more crisp and solid, which is exactly what has been accomplished.

Don

Started playing this today and I'm really enjoying it. I had only played the first two Oddworld games before but it feels good returning to this universe again.

I have noticed a small issue with dialogue sometimes being cut off when speaking with the Clakkers around town which I hope they can maybe fix with a patch, but everything else seems great so far.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the next Oddworld projects from JAW turn out. It's too bad that we never got a new Oddworld game from Lorne Lanning and Oddworld Inhabitants for this generation.

Ocaso

I'm wondering whether the general disinterest in this thread reflects that this game is doomed to languish in relative obscurity, HD assets and all. I hope not, but still.

A question I can't recall seeing answered for those who've already purchased it: are the cut scenes identical to the original, or have they been altered in any way (re-rendered or at least formatted for widescreen)?

VanWinkle

Man, it seems like hardly anybody even bought this. I have been wanting to play this game for years and got this last night. Started it today, and it's fantastic. My only problem so far is some of the text is so small on my 32" 720p tv. It's hard to read the menus.

I'm wondering whether the general disinterest in this thread reflects that this game is doomed to languish in relative obscurity, HD assets and all. I hope not, but still.

A question I can't recall seeing answered for those who've already purchased it: are the cut scenes identical to the original, or have they been altered in any way (re-rendered or at least formatted for widescreen)?

It's certainly looks like this is DOA =(

Raonak

Banned
Gah. this had to come out on the week i was saving money for new years >|
Anyone know when the move support patch is coming?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Cannot wait to beat the game on Hard mode. Loved the game originally and wanted to be rewarded for my skills.

PokéKong

Steam has the Oddbox up for like 4 Euro's with this and the 3 other games,I'm assuming in the USA it's $4. Anyone not getting it is crazy.

I did a few days ago when they even slashed that price in half, and then I think I combined it with one of the holiday coupons they gave out to get it for practically nothing.

I'm really excited to play Stranger, but am trying to play the first two games a bit first, since I ashamedly have never fully experienced them. It's proving pretty difficult since it appears they refuse to launch in anything but fullscreen with a forced lower resolution that looks hideous and stretched on my display.

burgerdog

Oh my, this game keeps looking better and better as I progress. I just got to the town after Mongol Valley. I also love the sandbox gameplay due in part to the different ammo types and big open areas.

BeeDog

Kind of regret buying this game the same way I regret buying Beyond Good & Evil HD. For some reason, it's hard for me to get into these revamped old games. :/

burgerdog

Kind of regret buying this game the same way I regret buying Beyond Good & Evil HD. For some reason, it's hard for me to get into these revamped old games. :/

I usually feel that way about most hd ports but this game has held up surprisingly well. I couldn't even get myself to spend more than 2 hours on the ico/shadow collection.

Top Bottom