• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD |OT|

Cornbread78

I think they convinced me to get this over Wizardry, so once I get my new H/D, I'm definately going to give this one a spin.

Looks like good fun to me.

burgerdog

Re-posting in case people miss it.

strangercmamc.jpg

5 hours down the drain in Stranger last night. The QuickSave option is completely useless if you exit the game and reload. “Why?” you ask? Because the only saves you can reload are hard saves, not QUICKSAVES. YOU CANT LOAD A FLIPPING QUICKSAVE.

I had a warm blanket of anger wash over me after this occurred. I then popped in Skyrim and all was well.

Ocaso

It's certainly looks like this is DOA =(

So sad. :(

Almost makes me want to buy it just to support JAW. I think it just came out too late this year. I loved this game and am itching to replay it, but with Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Beyond Good and Evil: HD, RE4:HD, and Tomb Raider: Legend all purchased and downloaded waiting their turn in my console backlog, Stranger'll simply have to wait.

OnPoint

What a disappointment that this doesn't seem to be performing. Is it a lack of advertising, the price, or just a general lack of interest that's holding it back?

Personally, the price is my big point. I already own the Xbox version and the Oddbox on Steam. $15 is steep for this when I already own it twice.

V_Ben

Banned
What a disappointment that this doesn't seem to be performing. Is it a lack of advertising, the price, or just a general lack of interest that's holding it back?

...how do we know that is isn't performing? Because people arent posting in a thread about a game on a message board? I'm sure it's doing fine.

OnPoint

...how do we know that is isn't performing? Because people arent posting in a thread about a game on a message board? I'm sure it's doing fine.

Well, we don't know for sure (I did say "seem"), but thread activity on a niche release like this is usually a pretty good barometer for judging it.

Ocaso

Personally, the price is my big point. I already own the Xbox version and the Oddbox on Steam. $15 is steep for this when I already own it twice.

Like yourself, I also own it twice. That said, if this had launched at $10 (or with a PSN Plus discount) I'd probably have jumped right in and bought it. It's not that it's overpriced. Considering the amount of content and the fact that it's a full remake (more like Halo: Anniversary than say RE4:HD), $15 is a fair price. But with so many games on sale right now and so many high profile releases lapping up the spotlight, this was bound to happen.

Also doesn't help matters much that JAW either didn't send out codes early enough or at all to many reviewers, so few websites have even bothered to post their impressions of the game. Metacritic only has 6 reviews for the game, and only a couple of those are from bigger sites.

V_Ben

Banned
Well, we don't know for sure (I did say "seem"), but thread activity on a niche release like this is usually a pretty good barometer for judging it.

Perhaps, but it only came out a week ago in Europe, and a couple of days ago in the US. Im sure it'll keep going steady.

V_Ben

Banned
Like yourself, I also own it twice. That said, if this had launched at $10 (or with a PSN Plus discount) I'd probably have jumped right in and bought it. It's not that it's overpriced. Considering the amount of content and the fact that it's a full remake (more like Halo: Anniversary than say RE4:HD), $15 is a fair price. But with so many games on sale right now and so many high profile releases lapping up the spotlight, this was bound to happen.

Also doesn't help matters much that JAW either didn't send out codes early enough or at all to many reviewers, so few websites have even bothered to post their impressions of the game. Metacritic only has 6 reviews for the game, and only a couple of those are from bigger sites.

We had our code for the game a week in advance. It just came out in a period where a lot of people are either off, or deliberating goty stuff :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Going by the rating track on US PSN, it's racking up finely. It's as fast as Sonic CD's rating and over Trine 2's rating (which was released last week).

Atolm

I'll wait for a price drop this time, I'm very hyped but I bought the Oddbox last year full price and I'm still bitter about it, what a ripoff. And I still have my copy of the original Stranger's Wrath for the Xbox, heh. I hope this port is the definitive version.

stuminus3

5 hours down the drain in Stranger last night. The QuickSave option is completely useless if you exit the game and reload. “Why?” you ask? Because the only saves you can reload are hard saves, not QUICKSAVES. YOU CANT LOAD A FLIPPING QUICKSAVE.

I had a warm blanket of anger wash over me after this occurred. I then popped in Skyrim and all was well.
You mean to say JAW screwed up something simple?

I for one am shocked and appalled. Flabbergasted, even.

V_Ben

Banned

...I'm pretty sure if you press continue at the main menu, it loads the quick save. At least, it did for me.

forrest

formerly nacire
This is one title I really want. I'm willing to wait for the pc version to get these upgrades before purchasing it though. Nice to see folks are really enjoying it. It's definitely my favorite Oddworld title.

legbone

quick question:

can you invert the y axis?

for me this is a deal breaker if you cannot. i did not buy beyond good and evil due to this and hope it's not the case here. i really want to play this since i missed out on it the first time around and i have heard really good things about it. thanks in advance.

...I'm pretty sure if you press continue at the main menu, it loads the quick save. At least, it did for me.

Not for me. Hitting "Continue" puts me at some random autosave before Filthy Hands Fucking Floyd.

And yes you can invert the Y axis, in first AND third person

KongRudi

Banned
The auto-save worked fine for me..
Finnished the game on easy in three sittings (took me around 15-20 hours on easy, I guess) - and both times the game loaded the earlier auto-save, instead of my manual saves.

Fantastic game, I had a realy good time playing it, and there is superb pricing structure, the game costs somewhat the same around the world.
They don't automatically assume 15$ is equal to 15 euro, or 15 pund, or 150 kroner. :p.
I think this might be the best value for each norwegian krone on PSN, for a launch-product atlest.
If you haven't tried it yet, I highly reccomend it. :)

I'd like to hear some more feedback from actual gamers before buying it. How good is the port? It seems like they've done a great job with the visuals, but how is the framerate?

S1kkZ

I'd like to hear some more feedback from actual gamers before buying it. How good is the port? It seems like they've done a great job with the visuals, but how is the framerate?

i would like to know that as well. i heard from some people on a different forum that the game has constant stutter (short freezes, maybe loading issues) and some areas have slowdowns.

yes autosave does work. QUICKSAVE however, is jacked up. I was quicksaving regularly up until I got to a point where I missed a bolamite shot to one of those kamikaze dudes while I was hunting Packrat Palooka. I go to reload my game and bam, it loads the only hard save I made which was right before fighting Filthy Floyd. Bullshit I say.

Don

I have only been using quicksave during missions for checkpointing and then creating a hard save everytime I go back to town.

I'm at the third town now and the performance seems great to me. The only times that I have really noticed any slowdown are during some of the transition sections while running between areas but the rest of the time it feels pretty smooth.

AwRy108

The updated look I find comparable to the recently re-released re4 whereas both games were so gorgeous to begin with, not much really needed to be done except to makes things a tad more crisp and solid, which is exactly what has been accomplished.

Comparing this HD update to the recent RE4 "update" is so very wrong... so much love and care was put into creating the HD version of this game; whereas the RE4 port was a simple job of upping the resolution. CRAPCOM should be ashamed of their recent re-release of RE4, whereas JAW has something to be proud of with their work on bringing Stranger's Wrath into the days of HD.

Comparing this HD update to the recent RE4 "update" is so very wrong... so much love and care was put into creating the HD version of this game; whereas the RE4 port was a simple job of upping the resolution. CRAPCOM should be ashamed of their recent re-release of RE4, whereas JAW has something to be proud of with their work on bringing Stranger's Wrath into the days of HD.

I disagree. Both games run at 720p. Ive played SW on the OG Xbox since its release and I can easily tell that there ISNT much of a difference besides cleaner and sharper textures amidst a higher resolution, which is exactly what Crapcom did with re4.

They couldve used some extra time added onto the years it took to rehash to bump it up to 1080p, fix the occasional frame dips, and replace the mundane bounty screens with the cleaner, cooler originals at the very least. Its really just a straight port with updated and even downgraded visuals. Period.

Ocaso

I disagree. Both games run at 720p. Ive played SW on the OG Xbox since its release and I can easily tell that there ISNT much of a difference besides cleaner and sharper textures amidst a higher resolution, which is exactly what Crapcom did with re4.

No, it's not. I'm not sure if you've played RE4:HD, but it is nothing more than RE4's Gamecube assets rendering at 720p and in widescreen, not entirely dissimilar to what you can do in an emulator. It's a port, yes, and it looks better rendering at a higher resolution, but it's not a remake and just about every texture is a blurry mess by modern standards. I'm not sure how much of the game was remade in Stranger's Wrath, but the fact that they remade anything at all puts it in a different category. New textures, polygon models, and resampled sound along with a better overall framerate differentiate the two titles decisively.

Tendo

Now that this is out after so many delays but with being an apparent dud, what are the chances this will still be a free pc patch? I want to play the updated game but man JAW burned me last year with how they reacted to the oddbox fiasco.

No, it's not. I'm not sure if you've played RE4:HD, but it is nothing more than RE4's Gamecube assets rendering at 720p and in widescreen, not entirely dissimilar to what you can do in an emulator. It's a port, yes, and it looks better rendering at a higher resolution, but it's not a remake and just about every texture is a blurry mess by modern standards. I'm not sure how much of the game was remade in Stranger's Wrath, but the fact that they remade anything at all puts it in a different category. New textures, polygon models, and resampled sound along with a better overall framerate differentiate the two titles decisively.

Aside from the ammunition, theres no new textures or polygon models dude. In fact some textures havent been touched up at all. Case in point: The blurry mess of Wanted posters on the sides of the outer Bounty/General Stores. Everything is just cleaned up and sporting a higher resolution. The sound isnt re sampled. Its a little cleaner, but it still bugs up sometimes just like in the original. And yes the framerate and camera control is solid and quicker.

fixed.

God this game is amazing. So many smart ideas wrapped up in an awesome, beautiful (STILL!) package.

Just the option to take down targets dead or alive completely changes your approach to the levels. And all the live ammo to choose from... LOVE IT.

Theres no new textures or polygon models dude. In fact some textures havent been touched up at all. Case in point: The blurry mess of Wanted posters on the sides of the outer Bounty/General Stores. Everything is just cleaned up and sporting a higher resolution. The sound isnt re sampled. Its a little cleaner, but it still bugs up sometimes just like in the original. And yes the framerate and camera control is solid and quicker.

Wrong. Go look up the screenshots they did of before and after character models.

In case you don't feel like searching: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/28/strangers-wrath-hd-dev-will-look-to-bring-ps3-update-to-pc-fo/

It is true that the original PC release WAS a straight port and still is until they patch in the HD assets, but the PS3 version is improved from the original Xbox version.

burgerdog

Wrong. Go look up the screenshots they did of before and after character models.

In case you don't feel like searching: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/28/strangers-wrath-hd-dev-will-look-to-bring-ps3-update-to-pc-fo/

It is true that the original PC release WAS a straight port and still is until they patch in the HD assets, but the PS3 version is improved from the original Xbox version.

Don't waste your time. I've showed that quicksave works and you have shown that the game has updated models. There's nothing else to be said, no one is going to change his mind at this point.

Don't waste your time. I've showed that quicksave works and you have shown that the game has updated models. There's nothing else to be said, no one is going to change his mind at this point.

It's possible he's referring to the PC version which hasn't actually gotten the HD update yet. There were also a lot of dumb issues with that version so it wouldn't surprise me if there are still some issues.

burgerdog

It's possible he's referring to the PC version which hasn't actually gotten the HD update yet. There were also a lot of dumb issues with that version so it wouldn't surprise me if there are still some issues.

Don't think so, he mentioned earlier that the game is 720p and how JAW should have made it 1080p. Resolution is obviously configurable in the pc version(which I also own.)

JohngPR

I always admired the art style this game had but never played it since I never owned an original Xbox. I might pick this up when I get paid tomorrow so I can finally try it out for myself.

I've always been a fan of Oddworld Inhabitants during the PSone era.

S1kkZ

not happy with the framerate so far (just finished the first boss). as soon as you get to the more open areas, the framerate takes a hit. sometimes it stutters, sometimes it really slows down. its nothing gamebreaking but it pisses me off that the game runs worse than the xb1 version. i hope they patch it or give us the option to lock the framerate at 30.

KongRudi

Banned

i would like to know that as well. i heard from some people on a different forum that the game has constant stutter (short freezes, maybe loading issues) and some areas have slowdowns.

I didn't have the Xbox or PC-version before.
I didn't notice any framerate-slowdowns, it seems like it's locked at 60 FPS to me.
Maybe those people experiencing that, don't have messy HDD's.. Atleast it runs and look much more clean and smooth than the youtube-videos. :)

They've moved the shooting in first person to L1 and R1, wich it should be on playstation.
Melee is on L2 and R2, and L3 and R3 is Binoculars/sniper and switching between third and first-person view.

I heard on a podcast that one dude spent 8 months upgrading every single characther in the game, basically all the characthers have atleast twice as much details, while the main ones have five time as much detail.
All the movies have been redone, except 3 small ones - the original videos have been exported frame-by-frame and the new videos are looking like proper PS3-videos - and they've also upgraded the sound, since XBox didn't support as good sound as the originally sound-files, and they've also gone out and hired a professional voice-actor for some of the female voices, Oddworld Inhabitants only used inhouse voice-talent, and they did not have any females in the office wich were able to be serious for the entire recording-session, so it did sound kind of like a Monthy Python-sketch originally, where men were impersonating a female, so they also got to fix that.

You can hear more about it here: http://www.psnation.org/2011/10/13/episode-237-future-tangents/

Picked up the PSN version today, never played it before. Enjoying it so far, but I've only done the first bounty (outside the introduction one). Does it let you choose between available targets later? or is it just one at a time? Moving between first and third person works well, and ammo types are pretty neat. Not much of a story so far though it seems.

I really wish there was a button for running/sprinting. Sometimes it kicks in when I don't want it and I run into a wall. The framerate does have some occasional hitching too, but its pretty subtle and isn't intrusive. Its a good looking game and pretty clean IQ-wise.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
lol at comparing this to RE4. Whoever was doing that should have their eyes checked. Not only is every asset here redone, and shading, lighting and sound improved, (none of which was done for RE4), but one look at those shimmering ground textures in RE4 remaster made me want to just give a long, condescending stare at whoever was making that port.

Top Bottom