• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD |OT|

KongRudi

Banned
Picked up the PSN version today, never played it before. Enjoying it so far, but I've only done the first bounty (outside the introduction one). Does it let you choose between available targets later? or is it just one at a time? Moving between first and third person works well, and ammo types are pretty neat. Not much of a story so far though it seems.

I really wish there was a button for running/sprinting. Sometimes it kicks in when I don't want it and I run into a wall. The framerate does have some occasional hitching too, but its pretty subtle and isn't intrusive. Its a good looking game and pretty clean IQ-wise.

It let's you choose amongst different targets in various bounty-shops.
You can select wich one you want to do next, and when you've done all in that town, it sends you onwards.

I never tried picking more than one bounty at a time, since I figured it wouldn't work, since if you're running in the wrong direction for a period of time, it will tell you, that you're going the wrong way.

There is a 'initiate running attack' button later-on, wich will leave you running - if you don't hit anything - wich is very satisfying - in the second half of the game, however you're probably 10 hours away from it, and it makes sense in the game.
But I won't go too much into detail to avoid spoiling it for you.

So I guess you'll have to settle for that he'll start running after a while, when in third person for now, but the last half of the game, you'll have more options.

Atomski

I thought this would be about the patch for PC.

Wellfuck.

Yeah feels like I bought this forever ago with the promise of a HD patch. Hopefully wont be to much longer. I am looking forward to playing through it all the way. I only got about 4 hours into the unHD version.

Game has a ton of character.

Ok ok, after starting over due to my fucked up quicksave, I retract most of my bitching. I just love the game so much that the minor tweaks initially set me off a bit. I do dig the added detail, although the most noticeable for me is in the ammunition. As always I live up to my username.

Also, Packrat Palooka is a pain in the ass to capture alive with the Boombat method of knocking him off his cliff ledge.

Coming from someone that picked up the original version day 1, I had been looking forward to this release since the initial announcement. However, I cant help but be somewhat disappointed by the overall port. Some of JAWs greenlighted decisions are baffling to me. Most notably so far is the complete lack of neon blue and lightning emitting around and within the inner shell of the Zappflies. It's been completely replaced by some slimey solid neon green lacking any sort of additional animation or depth.
What's more shitty, however, was the decision to replace the screen pictured below and the bounty collection screen (which looks similar) with some drabby, ugly brown wooden post with a rudimentary list of bounties collected and a sum total of moolah earned. Additionally, the pictures of the bounties, (since theres no pictures shown of the enemies you killed or captured like in the original) are all in an off black and white color, which to me, for a game that took years to re-hash is extremely half-assed.
OW4.jpg

The original. Why the fuck would you ditch this presentation?!

The increased framerate and improved quick save system are the only strong points I can find at the moment that really stick out for me. Also, the third person camera control is much more fluid and quick. The graphical update as a whole looks good, but it isnt as jaw dropping as expected and I realize its because Ive played the original version so many times before. The updated look I find comparable to the recently re-released re4 whereas both games were so gorgeous to begin with, not much really needed to be done except to makes things a tad more crisp and solid, which is exactly what has been accomplished.

Ok so the UI designs are the originals that Oddworld created back in 2004, however since they couldn't fit them into Xbox memory, they NEVER used them, so we have.

Also that image you showed is damned ugly dude! NO ONE I know or have spoken to liked the various "Store" screens from the original, all thought they were ugly and did NOT fit the design of the game.

As for the Zappfly, um again, that's the original models we used, before OWI had to drop the detail and poly counts. Also NOT sure where you're looking as there is lighting all OVER them, same as it was on the XBox.

5 hours down the drain in Stranger last night. The QuickSave option is completely useless if you exit the game and reload. “Why?” you ask? Because the only saves you can reload are hard saves, not QUICKSAVES. YOU CANT LOAD A FLIPPING QUICKSAVE.

I had a warm blanket of anger wash over me after this occurred. I then popped in Skyrim and all was well.

You need to click on the "CONTINUE" button on the main menu?!?!?

You need to click on the "CONTINUE" button on the main menu?!?!?

I did dude and all it did was load my first hard save. its all good. I got to where it fudged up last night in half the time anyway.

The Zappflies do look greener on their insides compared to blue color in the original. Also I didnt know the UI you guys used were the actual originals Lanning wanted. Very cool indeed.

I did dude and all it did was load my first hard save. its all good. I got to where it fudged up last night in half the time anyway.

The Zappflies do look greener on their insides compared to blue color in the original.

If "Continue" isn't working that's another issue, as it's ONLY meant to load the "auto-save" file.

We are doing a BIG update in Late Jan/Early Feb for Stranger HD on PS3 which will have a bunch of NEW stuff as well as some extra fixes (one of the trophies needs sorting).

As for the "Green" vs "Blue" yeah it is a little different, but it is honestly just a different shade of Green. If the original came through as blue then's likely down to the whole last gen thing of PS2 = Brown and XBox = Blue :)

yes autosave does work. QUICKSAVE however, is jacked up. I was quicksaving regularly up until I got to a point where I missed a bolamite shot to one of those kamikaze dudes while I was hunting Packrat Palooka. I go to reload my game and bam, it loads the only hard save I made which was right before fighting Filthy Floyd. Bullshit I say.

Quicksave just updates the Autosave of where you are.

If it's doing something different, then it's another issue :-/

not happy with the framerate so far (just finished the first boss). as soon as you get to the more open areas, the framerate takes a hit. sometimes it stutters, sometimes it really slows down. its nothing gamebreaking but it pisses me off that the game runs worse than the xb1 version. i hope they patch it or give us the option to lock the framerate at 30.

Ummmmm the Xbox version ran at an average of 20fps, in some cases as low as 15.

The PS3 version runs at 60fps MOST of the time, and takes a hit down to 30, if loading a LOT of data or at intense locations.

There framerate hit at the first boss, I'm not sure I've seen any, can others comment?

If "Continue" isn't working that's another issue, as it's ONLY meant to load the "auto-save" file.

We are doing a BIG update in Late Jan/Early Feb for Stranger HD on PS3 which will have a bunch of NEW stuff as well as some extra fixes (one of the trophies needs sorting).

As for the "Green" vs "Blue" yeah it is a little different, but it is honestly just a different shade of Green. If the original came through as blue then's likely down to the whole last gen thing of PS2 = Brown and XBox = Blue :)

Yeah I saw that the trophy for McGraw is an extra Palooka one. Im sorry about the bitching man, but Ive got such a strong passion for the series and this game inparticular that when I saw those changes I immediately saw red. Upon closer inspection and playing again last night I must say you guys really did a bang up job as opposed to other HD remakes on the market.

No issues with the framerate here. It does dip when its loading an area for a split second but thats nothin. Especially when youre coming off of playing PS3's Skyrim.

It didn't used to be. We had to yell at JAW until they added that. Apparently they didn't think it was something PC gamers cared about.

Wrong, we had Low, Medium, High + Custom. We just didn't tell you what L/M/H were, so we re-wrote the launcher app to actually list the available video modes.

Yeah I saw that the trophy for McGraw is an extra Palooka one. Im sorry about the bitching man, but Ive got such a strong passion for the series and this game inparticular that when I saw those changes I immediately saw red. Upon closer inspection and playing again last night I must say you guys really did a bang up job as opposed to other HD remakes on the market.

After the anal raping we got for the PC "port" (which was an xbox port) we wanted to prove to you guys that we're not ass-hats and we care about this Property a shit load!

We believe we've done that with Stranger. There are a handful of things we want to fix in it, things that were NOT raised as bugs by Sony QA (who found 2 issues, hence the day 1 patch).

So the stuff we're fixing are more down to our own perceptions and what we want to change.

Don't get me started on the Trophy file, we had to shout at SCEE a couple of times. Grrrr :-/

lol at comparing this to RE4. Whoever was doing that should have their eyes checked. Not only is every asset here redone, and shading, lighting and sound improved, (none of which was done for RE4), but one look at those shimmering ground textures in RE4 remaster made me want to just give a long, condescending stare at whoever was making that port.

The first update we did to the environments in Stranger was take the shitty 64x64 detail maps and make them 512x512 which is why we have a lot more detail in the game. Then we went to town making pipes etc ROUND ;-) then we went through the game taking any texture smaller than 512x512 and making them 512x512 minimum.

The the final pass was doing some extra mesh-editing.

I think we did pretty good with it... Wait til you see it running in 3D :D

Arent you guys working on Munch HD as well? Whens that coming out? =)

We hired the guys who did the Munch PC fixes to do the PS3/Vita versions, we're handling the art update in house, I think it'll be out in early Q2 on PS3 and VITA :)

On that note, I'm going home...

As for how we'll Stranger is doing, we won't know until NEXT week how well we've sold, but so far indications are good :)

S1kkZ

The PS3 version runs at 60fps MOST of the time, and takes a hit down to 30, if loading a LOT of data or at intense locations.

There framerate hit at the first boss, I'm not sure I've seen any, can others comment?

its after the first boss. i turned around to collect some money i missed during the fight. the framerate went downhill as soon as i turned the camera away from the tunnel (?) and looked at the open area where the bossfight took place.

Tendo

Is the PC version still planned as a patch to the existing steam copies? It just seems awfully extensive for a patch. I don't want to be forgotten after the promises last fall. If the patch comes out I'll make good on my promise to purchase the game.

Is the PC version still planned as a patch to the existing steam copies? It just seems awfully extensive for a patch. I don't want to be forgotten after the promises last fall. If the patch comes out I'll make good on my promise to purchase the game.

Yes in 2-3 months as originally announced

Can/ will the framerate issues be fixed with a patch? This is one of my most wanted games but I'll hold off buying if there are framerate problems.

Xander51

I picked up the Oddboxx during the Steam sale mostly for this game. I've never played it before and it's truly incredible. I'm going to get the PS3 version later today. I can't wait to see how they made it look even better.

Yuterald

Just wanted to pop in and say that I recently completed this game for my first time a few nights ago. I was always a fan of the original two Odd games, Odyssey and Exodus, but I never played Strangers back on the original Xbox. I wasn't too much of a fan of the Munch's Odyssey so I just kind of lost interest in the franchise and ignored Strangers.

Holy shit did I miss out though. I recently downloaded this game because a few buddies were completely glowing about the game and I kind of marathoned it until I saw the end. I pretty much loved everything about it. The character reveal/plot twist was amazing to me. Personally, it's up there with games like Trails in the Sky, as far as character reveal/twists go. I also loved the structure of the game (well, the first half anyway) how all the mission areas wrapped around back to the town hubs, so good. Capturing enemies and bosses alive was so addicting too and I loved how each boss was unique.

The second half of the game, the more FPS part, was cool and everything, but I started on hard mode from the beginning and it was kind of getting old by the dam areas. I think I would have enjoyed those sections a bit more if I was playing on normal so I'll let it slide. Overall, love the game, love Oddworld Inhabitants, and good job with the update Just Add Water. Besides some audio issues and minor glitches, the game runs, looks, and feels smooth as shit! Can't wait for future projects from you guys.

matmanx1

Started playing this one last night and so far I'm very impressed. I love how clean it looks with the MLAA! I wish every game could use it.

I wasn't able to capture the first bounty target alive unfortunately as I couldn't get him stunned long enough to complete the capture. I think I'm going to have to look up a strategy for the next guy as the bounty is 3x as large for capturing him alive. Great game so far!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
2 hours to download
20 minutes to install
then a patch
FFUUUUUUU just let me play!
It's impossible that it was installing for 20 minutes, unless you had something else downloading during that time. PS3 OS stupidly allows background downloads to continue while something is installing, and that slows installations tenfold, literally. Make sure to pause downloads manually prior to installing something big like this.

Can/ will the framerate issues be fixed with a patch? This is one of my most wanted games but I'll hold off buying if there are framerate problems.
It's got much better framerate than the original.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that I get framerate drops pretty much whenever I spin the camera around. I would have preferred 30FPS fixed, rather than 60FPS 50% of the time.

Maybe time is being kind to the original, I don't remember any framerate issues back then. Could be rose-tinted glasses though.

burgerdog

Just got to the plot twist. I don't know, I think it's fairly obvious as soon as you see the Sekto cutscene. Either way, absolutely enjoying the hell out of this game.

wwm0nkey

I'm not exaggerating when I say that I get framerate drops pretty much whenever I spin the camera around. I would have preferred 30FPS fixed, rather than 60FPS 50% of the time.

Maybe time is being kind to the original, I don't remember any framerate issues back then. Could be rose-tinted glasses though.

rose-tinted glasses, played the Xbox version not too long ago and the FPS got pretty bad.

Bukana

I purchased the game two days ago, great great HD upgrade. Everything runs smoothly and it looks like a current gen game.

Though, I only have a question for GoldenHelmet, do I have to purchase the Vita version again!?Because I think I will replay it a lot on my Vita than on my PS3, please be the answer "NO".

And thank you for being such a great developer by replying to gamers and being straight forward and honest.

I purchased the game two days ago, great great HD upgrade. Everything runs smoothly and it looks like a current gen game.

Though, I only have a question for GoldenHelmet, do I have to purchase the Vita version again!?Because I think I will replay it a lot on my Vita than on my PS3, please be the answer "NO".

And thank you for being such a great developer by replying to gamers and being straight forward and honest.

Even though both games are the same, the work done in both isn't. I'm sure Vita purchase will be separate, which is understandable (if it's not then holy shit, I'll buy it twice!).

That said, I am going to finish the first two PSOne titles before I jump to this one. Can't wait!

burgerdog

Just beat the game. Loved every moment of it, even though the game takes on a different direction for the second half it was still very enjoyable. What was up with the ending? That was totally unexpected, the mid-game plot twist I was able to see a mile away by comparison.

I finished this last night. I kind of wish that the bounty hunter part of the game lasted longer or had some extra optional bounties as I really enjoyed it. Although, the latter part of the game was fun too. The ending was quite surprising and seemed like it was leading to a sequel that we might never get.

JohngPR

I'm a few hours in and really enjoying it thus far.

I never got a chance to play it on the original Xbox because I never owned one. I was a huge Oddworld Inhabitants fan and was sad when they went MS exclusive last generation. :( I'm glad that I get to finally play this and eventually Munch's Odyssey.

As far as Stranger's Wrath HD, JAW did a pretty good job updating the game.

I can't remember many games that let you play via third person and/or FPS on the fly like this game does which is pretty cool. Not only that, but I really dig the sense of humor. Abe's Odyssey/Exodus were one of the first games I remember thinking were genuinely funny when I was young and it's good to have them back, even if it is in this manner.

The only issues I've come across so far with the game is the fact that the framerate likes to dip from time to time and the camera controls are a little loose. None of this stuff really ruins the game, but are things I wish were a little better. Still, I'm really enjoying the game. I'm putting off playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations to play this, and I don't regret that at all.

:)

B33

Banned
I've been playing on and off for the past few days and I recently hit a wall during the final segment of the Flint "Explosives" McGee boss fight.

After he's knocked down from his mine-cart, I spawn right in the center of the stage. Before I have a chance to jump off of the platform, my health is already down to the half-way point. The two-three machine gun outlaws, the two turrets, the two "sniper" outlaws, and Flint "Explosives" McGee himself make the segment practically unbeatable for me.

I've tried to complete the section at least fifteen times, now. Any tips? I apparently can't toggle the difficulty setting on the fly (wonderful), so I'd have to play through the entire game again to play this segment on a lower difficulty.

I completed this a couple of nights ago. Game was beautiful throughout. I will say I definitely prefer Stranger's Wrath's game-play to the other Oddworld games. They're all amazing, but the battle system in Stranger's Wrath is fluid and kind of clever. JAW did an amazing job bringing this over.

I played this back on Xbox original. Will definitely pick it up for Vita, I'm glad this game is getting a resurgence. First game (that I can remember) to really implement 1st/3rd person well, and it's ammo system is still cool and innovative.

Rlan

Surely there must be some way to make the game become a "Games On Demand" game instead of an XBLA title on the Xbox, so they can get around the filesize issue. They did 4 of those in a row (RE4, CV, Crysis and that Japanese shooter), SW should fit in there nicely.

burgerdog

I've been playing on and off for the past few days and I recently hit a wall during the final segment of the Flint "Explosives" McGee boss fight.

After he's knocked down from his mine-cart, I spawn right in the center of the stage. Before I have a chance to jump off of the platform, my health is already down to the half-way point. The two-three machine gun outlaws, the two turrets, the two "sniper" outlaws, and Flint "Explosives" McGee himself make the segment practically unbeatable for me.

I've tried to complete the section at least fifteen times, now. Any tips? I apparently can't toggle the difficulty setting on the fly (wonderful), so I'd have to play through the entire game again to play this segment on a lower difficulty.

You should have killed all the outlaws before bringing the cart down to ground level. I don't know, maybe try shooting the ammo that bites enemies to buy some time and shoot your bomb bats at the turrets to take them out quick. You should also have more than one save file in case stuff like this happens.

B33

Banned
You should have killed all the outlaws before bringing the cart down to ground level. I don't know, maybe try shooting the ammo that bites enemies to buy some time and shoot your bomb bats at the turrets to take them out quick. You should also have more than one save file in case stuff like this happens.

Well, I learned something.

I'll be playing the game over again.

Top Bottom