• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odyssey is by far the worst Assassin's Creed and one of the worst games I ever played

Do you think AC Odyssey is a good game/good AC?

• It's a good videogame but not a good AC.

Votes: 125 23.9%
  • It's a good videogame and a real AC.

Votes: 174 33.3%
  • It sucks.

Votes: 223 42.7%

• Total voters

Arachnid

I didn't even care about the SJW stuff. It wasn't good as an AC or a game.

Gameplay wise, Odyssey is insanely shit when it comes to stealth, (though it's problems extended well beyond that). Most of the time you will not be able to assassinate targets with a stealthy stab (it usually works on the weaker mob enemies, but even that is spotty depending on the level of the region; level gating everywhere). Even with the fully upgraded critical assassination skill. brb walk up behind an unaware target and stab them in the neck with a critical only for them to lose a third of their health and turn around to fight you and now you have to wack away at them for 5 minutes. Sure, the older games had pretty shit stealth too, but at least stealth was still always the focus and you could always OHK your target.

They included sailing but it is nowhere near as expanded or fun as it is in AC4 (which had different weather effects and insanely turbulent waves to battle in). It's mostly just going from destination to destination while nothing happens. Ship combat is basic and easy, and the waves are for the most part pretty flat. Nothing epic or standout here.

The main character is the worst in the series. Alexios/Kassandra is super unmemorable (meanwhile, Bayek from Origins is one of the best leads in the series with Edward and Ezio). They introduced a choice system with dialogue and story, but it's pretty basic (be a goody two shoes, a dick, or a greedy merc looking for money). This ended up making the main character feel like they have no real personality and it kills attachment which is important in a 100hr+ game. The few choices that affect the story just served to neuter the ending and make it feel unfulfilling (I got the best ending because I made all the good choices, but then everything just ends hunky dory with no consequences and you almost literally sail into the sunset tf). There are technically three endings to three concurrent main stories, and EVERY SINGLE ONE fell flat. They also tried to copy the sidequest design Witcher 3 used, but it didn't work because the writing/dialogue was usually pretty stupid (the entire game is light hearted and trying to be funny, so everyone just act's like a greek caricature and says dumb shit; this game isn't a wart on Witcher 3s butt). Quest design also just feels padded out. Kill this person, gather these plants, fetch this document, kill 6 wolves, explore 20 caves, (etc...). This applies to main story and the side missions (though I will say the DLCs were actually pretty fun; better than the main game anyway).

The world is huge, but most if it is empty, copy pasted, and looks the same. Origins was amazing to explore because of the care that went into the unique destinations and aesthetic. Odyssey is mostly flat and boring buildings. Even the bigger buildings that are supposed to blow us away look the same. Wow! I just found the 10th Temple of Zeus with columns .

tl;dr I agree with you OP. Odyssey was awful.

JayK47

I just played Syndicate and it had similar issues. So it has been going on for a while. Male character was annoying while female character was mature and level headed. Combat was slow because you had to chip away at them until you maxed out your skill tree and could finally do some damage. You had to grind to level up and did not want to go up against anybody higher level, even though they look the same as low level enemies. But hey, the world was interesting to explore and there were TRAINS! Still an ok game, but the combat was bad and clearly they wanted to you play as the female lead since the brother was an immature douche.

I skipped Unity and have no plans to play Origins or Odyssey.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Ok, but wait. Valhalla was obviously going to be more Odyssey than Origins. I have no idea why anyone would think otherwise. If Odyssey had bombed, then sure: we'd see them revert back to a more successful formula or try something completely new...but Odyssey was a commercial success. The move to a more RPG-esque formula is probably viewed as a success by Ubi, regardless of how we might feel.

I 110% expect more Odyssey in Valhalla's DNA.
Unfortunately, you are right, I think. This is partly what made me create this thread. There is this franchise that I really like and I'm worried about its future. I don't want more of Odyssey, I want more of Origins. Better yet, I want more of what was the first game about.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
“Hello, I’m AssCreed, allow me to give you a history lesson!”

Ace%2BVentura%2Bassholo%2Bmio.gif

makaveli60

I didn't even care about the SJW stuff. It wasn't good as an AC or a game.

Gameplay wise, Odyssey is insanely shit when it comes to stealth, (though it's problems extended well beyond that). Most of the time you will not be able to assassinate targets with a stealthy stab (it usually works on the weaker mob enemies, but even that is spotty depending on the level of the region; level gating everywhere). Even with the fully upgraded critical assassination skill. brb walk up behind an unaware target and stab them in the neck with a critical only for them to lose a third of their health and turn around to fight you and now you have to wack away at them for 5 minutes. Sure, the older games had pretty shit stealth too, but at least stealth was still always the focus and you could always OHK your target.

They included sailing but it is nowhere near as expanded or fun as it is in AC4 (which had different weather effects and insanely turbulent waves to battle in). It's mostly just going from destination to destination while nothing happens. Ship combat is basic and easy, and the waves are for the most part pretty flat. Nothing epic or standout here.

The main character is the worst in the series. Alexios/Kassandra is super unmemorable (meanwhile, Bayek from Origins is one of the best leads in the series with Edward and Ezio). They introduced a choice system with dialogue and story, but it's pretty basic (be a goody two shoes, a dick, or a greedy merc looking for money). This ended up making the main character feel like they have no real personality and it kills attachment which is important in a 100hr+ game. The few choices that affect the story just served to neuter the ending and make it feel unfulfilling (I got the best ending because I made all the good choices, but then everything just ends hunky dory with no consequences and you almost literally sail into the sunset tf). There are technically three endings to three concurrent main stories, and EVERY SINGLE ONE fell flat. They also tried to copy the sidequest design Witcher 3 used, but it didn't work because the writing/dialogue was usually pretty stupid (the entire game is light hearted and trying to be funny, so everyone just act's like a greek caricature and says dumb shit; this game isn't a wart on Witcher 3s butt). Quest design also just feels padded out. Kill this person, gather these plants, fetch this document, kill 6 wolves, explore 20 caves, (etc...). This applies to main story and the side missions (though I will say the DLCs were actually pretty fun; better than the main game anyway).

The world is huge, but most if it is empty, copy pasted, and looks the same. Origins was amazing to explore because of the care that went into the unique destinations and aesthetic. Odyssey is mostly flat and boring buildings. Even the bigger buildings that are supposed to blow us away look the same. Wow! I just found the 10th Temple of Zeus with columns .

tl;dr I agree with you OP. Odyssey was awful.
I would give 10 more hearts to this post if I could.

Fbh

I've said it another thread but IMO at this point the biggest issue with this franchise is the franchise itself. "Assassins Creed" has become a burden on these games that just makes them worse.
With origins they could have started a cool new IP of historical RPG's with standalone stories. But because of marketing they had to stick with Assassins Creed and it fucked everything up.

We could have had great standalone stories with unique gameplay that's tailored to take the most advantage of the setting. But we can't because it's Assassins Creed so every game needs some evil shadowy organization that's connected to the templars, and they all need some Sci Fi element, and there needs to be one of those objects of power or whatever they are called, and there has to be stealth and assassinations, and it needs to have a modern day segments no one I've ever talked to has given a single shit about after the Desmond plotline ended, etc, etc.
2 of the main issues of modern Ubisoft is that they have some of the worst writers in AAA gaming and their games often have a very samey design, and both issues are heightened by having to add all this forced shit that's only there "because Assassins Creed"

makaveli60

I've said it another thread but IMO at this point the biggest issue with this franchise is the franchise itself. "Assassins Creed" has become a burden on these games that just makes them worse.
With origins they could have started a cool new IP of historical RPG's with standalone stories. But because of marketing they had to stick with Assassins Creed and it fucked everything up.

We could have had great standalone stories with unique gameplay that's tailored to take the most advantage of the setting. But we can't because it's Assassins Creed so every game needs some evil shadowy organization that's connected to the templars, and they all need some Sci Fi element, and there needs to be one of those objects of power or whatever they are called, and there has to be stealth and assassinations, and it needs to have a modern day segments no one I've ever talked to has given a single shit about after the Desmond plotline ended, etc, etc.
2 of the main issues of modern Ubisoft is that they have some of the worst writers in AAA gaming and their games often have a very samey design, and both issues are heightened by having to add all this forced shit that's only there "because Assassins Creed"
Partly I agree, but at the same time I really like the franchise and if they wanted, they could still create much more different games even in the same franchise.

Great Hair

Banned

Spin-off games

Compilations

Remastered

Trunim

I laughed so hard when I saw the picture. Nothing against her personally, I don't know her and she's probably a nice person.

The game however, not so very nice. Immediately from the get-go I noticed the drop in quality compared to Origins. Gave it away to a friend. I just hope that Valhalla is like Origins in terms of quality...

Kuranghi

I mean COME ON, compare this cutscene to one from Origins or Odyssey:

* The face capture is amazing and its clearly full body capture in a lot of scenes when they don't bother with that anymore, thats why in cutscenes Valhalla, everyone's head looks like its separate from their body. The latest video has a really freaky one where a guy/gal (who can tell lol) has a long bent neck thats morphs and is pure nightmare fuel.
* Hair & skin rendering in a 2014 AC game is somehow miles ahead of a 2020 installment.
* The lighting and depth of field effects are also way better/higher quality than Valhalla.
* The cinematography is pretty good compared to 99% of computer games and actually existent compared to Ori and Ody which is all over the shoulder with occasional terriblely placed static shots that feel like they were added procedurally.
* The tone is just so much better, I actually DO feel bad for the guy getting his leg sawn off even though hes a random NPC and I'm not even playing the game right now because its so visceral. The cutscene actually makes me feel emotions about my task/mission compared to some pig-faced NPC saying "Please help my mother she is being attacked by desert badgers!" and me rolling my eyes.

The underwater areas in Origins were STUNNING, thats my only positive really. How is the underwater in Ody compared to Origins?

edit - Man, he's a crude guy haha. I forgot.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I put 400 hours into Odyssey and platinumed it, then continued to get all the additional DLC trophies. For sure, the writer looks like a goblin and all the "historical sexism," change ups are cringey as hell, but that's clearly a case of Ubisoft reaching it's hand in the oven and not being prepared to get burned. When your game opens with a statement about being "being created by a multicultural team of various ethnicities, sexual identities, mental problems, deformities, species, and cybernetic laser beam hand augments," then the onus is sort of on the player as to whether or not that is a pill they are willing to swallow. It probably doesn't help that a quarter of the world's population was credited in the development of the title, either. I'm still waiting for the credits to finish and I beat the game in September of last year.

That said, the writing had it's moments, I laughed my ass off during that quest that saw you going into a village to uncover your imposter and proceeding to systemactically fuck up the day of everyone in the village before fighting a dude who assailed you with a trained enemy rooster.

And if you can't assassinate lower level enemies (I'm assuming in one hit) work on your engravings or whatever they're called. You can relatively easily spec a set of armor towards an Assassin build and supplement it with Hunter abilities and become a silent, stealthy asshole.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
Playing as Kassandra is way better than Alexios. He sucks.

The game is such a bloated, huge ass mess with so many machanics, areas, side missions, characters etc.
BUT I enjoyed it a lot for like 40hrs, doing tons of stuff. Which is a good amount of enjoyment. Then I stopped, haven't done most of the story. This game is too much of everything but has a lot of fast food fun to be had.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I’m a big history buff so I should be interested in this but havnt pulled the trigger.

Does it compare well to Kingdom Come: Deliverance?

Odyssey is pure fantasy. It can be cool to see historical figured featured in the game, but don't expect any degree of accuracy.

Paperboy

If they didn't try something new after Syndicate, or after Unity really, people would complain about how similar each new game is compared to the previous one. The action focused RPG-elements are there to please as many players as possible and the series has become more generic, yes. But there are many occassions where you can use stealth, you just have to have the right gear and upgrades - that's part of the challenge.

makaveli60

I mean COME ON, compare this cutscene to one from Origins or Odyssey:

* The face capture is amazing and its clearly full body capture in a lot of scenes when they don't bother with that anymore, thats why in cutscenes Valhalla, everyone's head looks like its separate from their body. The latest video has a really freaky one where a guy/gal (who can tell lol) has a long bent neck thats morphs and is pure nightmare fuel.
* Hair & skin rendering in a 2014 AC game is somehow miles ahead of a 2020 installment.
* The lighting and depth of field effects are also way better/higher quality than Valhalla.
* The cinematography is pretty good compared to 99% of computer games and actually existent compared to Ori and Ody which is all over the shoulder with occasional terriblely placed static shots that feel like they were added procedurally.
* The tone is just so much better, I actually DO feel bad for the guy getting his leg sawn off even though hes a random NPC and I'm not even playing the game right now because its so visceral. The cutscene actually makes me feel emotions about my task/mission compared to some pig-faced NPC saying "Please help my mother she is being attacked by desert badgers!" and me rolling my eyes.

The underwater areas in Origins were STUNNING, thats my only positive really. How is the underwater in Ody compared to Origins?

edit - Man, he's a crude guy haha. I forgot.

Yep, how is it that they go from being an industry leading franchise to Odyssey? I can't...
And again, I'm linking this video as the guy demonstrates really well what I'm talking about, although with Valhalla. In Odyssey it's even worse. I wanted to buy Valhalla day one after the Deep Dive trailer that was awesome but now I think I'll take a wait and see approach. At least in Valhalla you will have to option to assassinate even higher level enemies with a minigame. That's quite cool.
Also it seems Valhalla will be even less polished than Odyssey. How is that possible? They are using the same engine as Origins and also skipped a year, this game should be polished as fuck by now, even with covid. It should shit on Unity technically-wise. What's going on there, really?

Stuart360

So I am one of those easy to entertain people and I really enjoyed my time with odyssey. But game of the generation is a massive and undeserving compliment to this game IMHO. Unless I totally missed the sarcasm and in that case, sorry 😅
No sarcasm, i enjoyed the game even more than Witcher 3. Beautiful looking (on PC), huge map, packed to the brim with content, land battles, sea battles, loot, awesome story (imo, loved the whole old world Illuminati plot).
I mean the game is awesome, its not like i said Crackdown 3 is my fave game of the generation!. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Different people having different opinions is a GOOD thing, hense my 'each to their own'.

Last edited:
For me, the last Assassin’s Creed game I really enjoyed was Black Flag. Unity, Rogue, and Syndicate were fine games, but Black Flag was the high-point for me. I know a lot of people enjoy Origins and Odyssey, but the combat and structural changes were too much for me. I don’t really like the loot system Ubi implemented, or the leveling system. The last two games felt like a half-step to a Dragon Age game. I don’t understand why they’re popular. I know the games sell well, so I assume I’m in the minority, but I wish for a “throwback” title that feels more like Assassin’s Creed 3 or Black Flag. These new entries clearly aren’t for me.

It's pretty bloated, has bad writing, bad history, bad and forgettable characters and most importantly; it just didn't feel like AC at all to me.
I also started with the series way back with ACII, played almost all of them since then and I will be taking a break after odyssey.

Let's face it guys these games are now just Sid Meier's Civ Rpgs, which is fine but they're not AC games. AC (for me) is not just the Animus adventures, but the whole mystery of the overall story, the juxtaposition of the future and past, abstergo, first civilisation, apple of eden etc once they ditched all that and just focused on the past it lost the magic.

I played the series from the start but bailed with AC 3. Jumped back in with Origins, completed it but was happy to see the back of it, boring gameplay/story. Tried Odyssey (as, I heard good things about Kassandra) but once I saw the gameplay the same I bailed. Shame.

I really loved it because of the heavily platonic meta narrative it had. It wasn´t a classic AC game and it was huge to an extent that lots of people i know didn´t finish it. But my god, as somebody who had 9 years of latin, 5 years of ancient greece in school and went on to get a diploma/master in political philosophy i loved it. It is for the AC Universe what the homeric epics are to the western white cultural realm, and for that it was glorious.

The whole SJW shit doesn´t bother me, being one of the few "real" right people in the world i couldn´t care less for either the progressive or the conservative left, which are basically the only political options left, because in the end it´s all about some kind of collective and the only distinction is in what groups are hated on. And since there is no we in I, i don´t care about any identiy politics and can blend it out as soon as i encouter it and enjoy products nonetheless for what they are.

Esca

I don't think i even got it off the first area or two. I tried to like it but I found the combat to be trash, no assassinations, and it was boring. I just didn't care. I won't give another ac a shot unless it goes back to its route some with assassination/one stab killing and stealth aspects

MrRogers

I just don't understand the appeal of modern ubisoft games, the lot of em are grinds, slogs, with horrific pacing and more or less the same template of game design within each. I've play a few them over the years and they represent the worst of gaming, in the sense that if all games are essentially time wasters, ubisoft titles are the only ones that make me feel bad about it.

GreyHorace

Spin-off games

Compilations

Remastered

Holy crap. I knew Ubisoft released a ton of AssCreed games ever since it's inception in 2007. But jeez, someone should tell them they're allowed to release a new game every few years and not annually.

Reizo Ryuu

Don't really get the complaints about stealth, the game gives you several slots to save builds, and my stealth build killed 90% of enemies just fine. And was my preferred way of playing.

Even enemies that were slightly too beefy, could be softened up first by ordering your captain to fight it first.

By the time you get the ability to shoot arrows through walls, you become a literals stealth god.

Also with all the combat abilities, I don't see how you could ever take 5+ minutes to kill a single enemy, unless it was some much higher level mercenary with powerful perks.

Verchod

I don't have an issue with the writing or what a member of the development team looks like, but I have found it near impossible to enjoy this game. I have installed and uninstall this game three times, I've tried to enjoy it.
I find the environment dull, the missions are fairly uninteresting and aren't helped by the fact that they are split up far too much so there is no flow or atmosphere. And the game is just packed full of pointless stuff to do. If the developer had redirected effort into the main game it could be so much more.
I understand this is the Staple Ubisoft game format, and I'm sure this has something to do with making games across multiple studios. But that's just my guess.

Jaxcellent

Last AC game i invested time in was Origins, i do dig the Egypt setting, Picked up Odyssey out of the bargain bin, just felt like more of the same... didn't like it, sold it right away.

They should really reboot the franchise again imo, same kind of animations and graphics.. getting kinda stale...

Andodalf

Banned
Holy crap. I knew Ubisoft released a ton of AssCreed games ever since it's inception in 2007. But jeez, someone should tell them they're allowed to release a new game every few years and not annually.

They have multiple teams to make the games and still take years off now and then.

Roberts

Kassandra is a great character and despite the bloat and a map that's way too large, I played the game for probably around 80 hours and never really got tired of it. Witcher 3 is probably the only open world game this gen that's better than Origins/Odyssey and I pretty much played them all.

Top Bottom