• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of Gods and Men [Mafia] | Ambrosia In Front Of Me

Vote: WhereareMahDragonz

Sorry sis, but I think you are playing it too safe to be your first game, and I would say the same thing for Fengshuifever.

I have noticed several patterns on first time scum players and while I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to Fengshuifever, not so much with Dragonz.

All of her posts seem generic, and it's almost like she is being "coached" by someone or should I say, some - aka her scum team.

This is her first game but I have never seen first time players so convinced about accusing others as with Dragonz. I'm not saying this makes her scum, but her ability to point fingers really fast, even though she denounced Sophia for accusing Gorlak and saying "it's only day 1." It's kind of ironic.

Her recent posts make me more comfortable, and willing to change my vote. I await her response.

I do not think, by any means, that she is an easy lynch target. However, I do think the potential for her to be scum is likely.

@Sophia: As I said, I was merely speculating and paraphrasing the information that we have been given.

I think you all are overthinking my posts. Whether that's a good or bad thing, time will tell.

But I love you ;_;

I can understand where my posts could come across as generic and predictable, because they are very similar to the thoughts others have had in here. But it can't be avoided; it's to be expected that people are going to have similar opinions. Why do you think I'm being coached, though? Because I'm actually putting forth arguments and participating?

That being said, the only person I've really accused of anything super serious is Sophia, which I explained. I'm just following my gut, which is the only thing I really trust right now. If I was scum, I'd honestly probably be too scared to call anyone out, because let's be real here, I don't know shit about this game or the exact mechanics on how it's played. I don't know how a townie usually acts, and I don't know how scum act, not as a definite. It just strikes me as odd that this early, people are pointing fingers willy nilly. And I'm not going to do that, because I think it's a dumb move, just based on my developing playstyle. I'm just acting how I want to. Maybe that comes off as "too aggressive" for a new player, and in contrast to Feng, I can see where it would be suspicious.

I also just find peculiar that Dragonz finds me suspicious and fishy but ends up voting for Sophia, lol

It's kind of like a non-sequitur

I find you suspicious, sure. But I don't think you're scum; your post at #152, and again at #173, while oddly specific in certain ways, still gives me this vibe as being pure speculation. That's what you claimed in the post, of course, but you make many assumptions from a very short and non-descriptive post from YNNY. It just doesn't really strike me as scummy. It's too obvious. And it's also something that I was wondering, as well. I think you know things (in what capacity, I am not sure yet) and you wanted to subtly bring it up to the group with your posts, to spark discussion. Why, exactly, I'm not sure. I guess time will tell on that front.

I voted for Sophia because she seems to be playing this duck and cover game; she throws a punch at someone and then vanishes, giving the rest of us just enough time to mull over what she's said. That worries me.

Seath and *splinter, was that exchange intentionally supposed to be funny?

I mean I know an answer, how could I forget the dawning of the word chucklefucks...

I don't like the main push on Gorlak.

I don't understand why lone_Prodigy has been given such a free pass today. So that is where my vote will go right now.

vote: lone_prodigy

Sophia

We're under three hours away from end time and there's not that many people here. I presume it's because a lot of people are still at work or just getting out of work.

So, while we have this time together, I'm gonna tell you all a story.

Some people say that... y'know, men are corrupt right? For every man that has good in their hearts, there are many more that have only malice, greed, pettiness. It's a scary world we live in. Times are uncertain. People claim the Gods walk among us. I dunno if I agree with that, but we'll see.

I know a man who didn't have good in his heart. They called him Witter. He was a merchant who used to live here some time ago. He was one shrewd son of a bitch. Nobody really liked him, they only pretended they did. After all, he wasn't completely unlikable or quite the asshole. There were always people who were far worse, and he ran his business well. But everyone knew he had malice, lust, and greed in his heart. He prayed to Komena, but nobody knows if his prayers were sincere. But people sure thought his prayers weren't. He didn't really help the poor, and he didn't talk about religion or philosophy. Stayed out of politics too. The law was just there to make his business worse, so he claimed. Some say he was a bit abusive to his family... but nobody ever found proof. He drank a lot too. Couldn't hold his cups well. Not the friendly kind of drunk.Not someone people wanted to... associate with when he was drunk.

Well one day, poor Witter, he lost everything. Someone murdered his wife in the night. Stabbed in her poor bleeding heart. She was a real sweetheart, real gentle. The ideal wife. Wouldn't hurt a fly. And of course, people thought... maybe he did it? Nobody really knew, but there were always rumors. Did he kill her? Was he framed? A setup? Either way, stuff just got worse and worse for Witter. He wasn't accused of the crime; there was no evidence and he wasn't at the scene of the crime. But he couldn't keep his business running anymore. Who wants to shop at the place of a murderer? So he just disappeared one day. Was gone for months. Lots of people thought he tossed his body into the ocean, y'know? Or just gave the will to live, and found a quiet place to hang himself. Wouldn't have been the first time men had lost the will to live, certainly wasn't going to be the last...

But just as mysteriously as he disappeared, he came back one day. People asked him: "Witter, where did you go all those months?" and he'd tell them he went into the desert. He went looking for something. What he was looking for, nobody knew. He said he found it, but what he found was no longer what he wanted. Said it was a fool's journey. He never did tell anyone what he was looking for. That was something he took to his grave.

People noticed tho, ever since he came back that he had changed. He no longer prayed. He cursed the names of the Gods. Komena? The trashiest. "A betrayer" he said. Peripseros? "Lord of deception." He said people who follow Peripseros were just hypocritical scum. He never prayed to a God ever again. He never drank anymore. Seemed nervous to. Maybe he realized he couldn't hold his alcohol? Who knows. He stayed away from people. Never did find him in a one-on-one conversation anymore. Course, you never did before unless it was business... He was always paranoid from that moment onward. Never did restart up his business, but he did odd work here and there to get by. Tragically, he passed away one day. His son found him in his home, on the floor. Not a clue how he died. No stab wounds or anything.

Nobody knows what poor Witter found in that desert. But people still talk about him. They talk about him cursing the Gods. They said "Don't end up like poor Witter. The Gods will take everything from you if you don't believe!" Some people were a bit nicer "If only had he believed for real, he could have changed... he could have made something out of his life."

But one thing is for certain: Nobody knows what happened in that desert. And a lot of people are too scared to find out.

*ahem*

So anyhow. Tragic story. But we gotta find ourselves some scum. Back to business now!

Current vote count, are we going with a gorlak majority at 3?
zippedpinhead (0)
sophia 70 (179)

crimsonfist (2)
darryl 80 (297)
oceanicair 336
sophia 337

sophia (1)
lone_prodigy 81 (294)
wherearemahdragonz 335

starsketch (0)
swamped 85 (254)

*splinter (1)
gorlak 101 (103)
gorlak 331

darryl (1)
gorlak 103 (160)
*splinter 120 (305)
giant panda 261

lone_prodigy (0)
*splinter 115 (120)
crimsonfist 138 (328)

fengshuifever (0)
gorlak 160 (180)

wherearemahdragonz (0)
gorlak 180 (218)

no lynch (0)
gorlak 218 (331)

gorlak (3)
sophia 221 (262)
darryl 297
*splinter 305
fengshuifever 315

seath (1)
ezekelrage 229

flatearthpandas (2)
swamped 254
crimsonfist 328

Also Sophia, with all due respect but what the hell was that?

Gorlak

Banned
Just a story. ;)

I don't believe you.

but good luck scumhunting
200.gif

Swamped

Banned
I find it interesting that Swamped voted me because of too much flavor/mechanics speculation (in the same post she says she will try and keep an open mind) and yet re: Seath, says all of their speculation is a town sign. What are the key differences between me and Seath, Swamped?

It's the overall attitude. Seath seems more involved in the discussions in a way I see as very genuine. Additionally, Seath has had votes on him, but his reactions don't seem that defensive. To me your posts feel more like you're trying to look active but you're just playing on-the-surface, does that make sense? I'm really sorry if I'm wrong but these are the sorts of things I go off of on D1.

I'm not sure that I like Sophia bringing up the Sisyphus thing when talking about you (FEP) though. It feels really forced to me. The whole Sisyphus thing feels like such a negligible thing in the grand scheme things.

Right now I feel ok about Zeke. He has been tunneling far too much on Seath imo, which feels like townie behavior although it's something P followers could easily replicate. I would like to see some other scum suspects from him.

We really need more people to vote. There are only 2 hours left, and some people haven't voted all day phase.

Darryl

Banned
Darryl - I'll be honest, Darryl is a hard read for me. He seems like he's playing a bit cautious with his replies, but I can't tell if that's just Town PR Darryl playing carefully, or if there's more to it. He outed himself as having a power role in #251, but did not clarify what it was. Whenever I examine his post, I don't find anything that immediately strikes me as a scum vibe tho.

Just woke up and I'm on mobile. Ended up sleeping 10 hours, so I'm refreshed. I don't like writing on mobile so I'll be back with a full post of my reads and thoughts in a bit over an hour. Right now I still think Gorlak is scum, but he gave a fairly decent response when I called him out, so I need to think it over. Plus Seath gave such an unusual reply that I feel I got good info. Darryl is among my top town at the moment. Not sensing any scum vibes.

These are big 360s from each other. I didn't even make any posts and I went from top town to null.

Swamped

Banned
Sophia, is that the Day End flavor XD

Very nice, I enjoyed that.
Now watch everyone dissect every second word and run it through all sorts of ciphers to find your role claim.

Sophia

These are big 360s from each other. I didn't even make any posts and I went from top town to null.

No it's not. You're hard to read, but you're not null to me. I said I didn't sense any scum vibes, so that put you among my top town.

Darryl

Banned
Sophia, is that the Day End flavor XD

Very nice, I enjoyed that.
Now watch everyone dissect every second word and run it through all sorts of ciphers to find your role claim.

How do you feel about Gorlak right now? Is he an on first day lynch target

*Splinter

*consults with scum chat*

*looks at files*

"team, how should we handle Splinter?"

Scum member: "Eh, he's a noob, don't worry too much about it."

"Word."

;)
(ಥ﹏ಥ)

----------

Ok enough of this tomfoolery, let's put Gorlak out of his misery.

I'm literally just going through his posts again in order. First thing to jump out at me that I haven't already spoken about is his early attack on kyanrute. You may not remember this because he immediately drops it and never goes near it again, which is odd given how strongly worded it is, and completely useless if he actually suspects Kyan to be scum. His excuse at the time was he was more focused on Darryl, but he's found time to search for scum elsewhere, so why never question Kyan further?

My theory: he dropped it because he forgot about it, because he never believed it in the first place.

FTR I also disagree with this post itself - scum Kyan seemed much more cooperative, saving his sarcasm for private chat, and I don't doubt he hates D1.

Then there is the conversation about breadcrumbing. We disagreed here but I assume it was an honest disagreement, I don't think this was very scummy.

Some aggressive prodding on feng. Thought this was weird at the time but he's since explained it and the logic checks out.

His No Lynch vote was pointless and I've already described how I think this was intended to manipulate us (although slightly rescinded on closer analysis).

He did a good job defending against Sophia, although I think she backed off too easily here.

Then he's out of the conversation for a bit until his response to my reads list. Now I have a number of problems with this so I'll quote it:
Splinter I don't like your reads at all. That is to say I mostly disagree with your top town. Neither Darryl nor Sophia strike me as being town.

Darryl hides behind a gambit1 that could be coming from him no matter his role/alignment. He states it was very obvious what the PR would be called like. He'll survive Day 1 with his play. And at the moment I want to see what else he tries to achieve.
I'd like you Splinter, to explain the obvious reason for him being town though, I don't see them.

Sophia doesn't feel townie in the slightest. She was the one to highlight the "may" part of the removal of gods. Initialising some speculation, but without ever giving her thought on the matter. Maybe she was looking for hints of knowledge some can't hide. Next thing is a "joke"-vote on zipped (and she called my first votes flimsy...) In post #74 she kindly tries to summarise the thoughts on gods and again, does not really state her opinion on the matter, but offers an if-case. She hasn't said a word about what she thinks of the gods, despite being interested in the matter. That's what led to my "she seems to know more" thought, swamped. She doesn't feel town, but she doesn't feel scummy either up to now, I'd say a null read.

Well, it's Day 1 and we have not a lot to go on with... this leads to me being suspicious because I try to initiate discussion?2 Before we start the bandwagon on me I'd like to read some actual reasons for my lynching.3

Darryl is unnerved by me.
Splinter votes me because ...? Seems you simply don't like me?4

Seath voiced a drive by "oh yeah he's suspicious" without anything concrete, some goes for Zipped. Do you two still think the same? Would you please in your own words describe what you think about me?
1. I don't know if this is misunderstanding or misrepresenting, but Darryl didn't gambit. He was simply talking about town PRs in a way that was less likely for scum. The only way this is a gambit is if Darryl is scum.

2. This is disingenuous. Maybe there hadn't been a clear enough argument against him - which would be partly my fault - but you are not being scumread for "initiating discussion".

3. Similar, trying to discredit the arguments against him before they gather momentum. There are only 2 votes on Gorlak at this point and one of them is old. So calling it a "bandwagon" is the start of him overreacting to suspicion - something that he continued to do all day.

4. I hope this is just another attempt to discourage my attack and you don't actually believe this.

The rest of the day he mostly moans at me for not doing this write up sooner. He's making a lot of fuss over some D1 suspicions (I. E. near-baseless accusations). This, ironically, is the most suspicious thing he's done all day. It's common for scum to feel like they are under more scrutiny than they really are. I've observed this in myself, my teammates, and even my enemies in different games. (Recent example: love boat D1, all 3 scum pairs are going crazy in private thinking they are doomed, in reality none of them where in significant danger on that day.)

Of course this still isn't solid, comments like this one could be frustrated town as much as panicked scum. But this, approximately, is what I have been thinking of Gorlak throughout the day.

Sorry it's so late, that took way longer than expected.

Kyanrute

LP/Freakinchair/Giant Panda/StarSketch for the no read list aka. the list of might as well kill them.

VOTE: Lone_Prodigy

I shall share my thoughts on the others too, for the little it does.

I wanna keep Darryl alive to see what day two brings, we can talk him through then, no hurry here imo. Folks like Ezekel, fep, Sophia, Zipped, Swamped and Splinter all seem to contribute, but not in a way that rings any little scum bells so far. Iirc both Dragonz and fengshui were new so I'm willing to let them go to bed, because they haven't rang the bells either.

I did already mention the wee bit that Crimson said that I did not like. Oceanic seems to want to hinder speculation about anything, fearing that it reveals roles. I like speculation and disagree that it would always lead to a grand reveal so bit of a disagreement there too. Gorlak was eager to talk about breadcrumbs. I don't think that breadcrumbs should be touched. Instead, they should be left alone and analyzed when the time comes. It seems easier to reach meaningful conclusions about the breadcrumbs this way.

I almost forgot the sloth-man, so he gets his own paragraph. Umm, his theory about million neutrals in addition to another million scum seems very far-fetched as that would make the game raaaaaather insane. But who knows? Day two I guess. Other than that there is just flavor and I wouldn't want to punish people for that. Null.

Current vote count, are we going with a gorlak majority at 3?

lone_prodigy (0)
*splinter 115 (120)
crimsonfist 138 (328)

Also Sophia, with all due respect but what the hell was that?
Did I not vote correctly? Mine wasn't counted.

Also Sophia you gave me a lot to read right there...well at least a lot to think about after reading...

zippedpinhead (0)
sophia 70 (179)

crimsonfist (2)
darryl 80 (297)
oceanicair 336
sophia 337

sophia (1)
lone_prodigy 81 (294)
wherearemahdragonz 335

starsketch (0)
swamped 85 (254)

*splinter (1)
gorlak 101 (103)
gorlak 331

darryl (1)
gorlak 103 (160)
*splinter 120 (305)
giant panda 261

lone_prodigy (2)
*splinter 115 (120)
crimsonfist 138 (328)
zippedpinhead 359
kyanrute 374

fengshuifever (0)
gorlak 160 (180)

wherearemahdragonz (1)
gorlak 180 (218)
seath 343

no lynch (0)
gorlak 218 (331)

gorlak (3)
sophia 221 (262)
darryl 297
*splinter 305
fengshuifever 315

seath (1)
ezekelrage 229

flatearthpandas (2)
swamped 254
crimsonfist 328

no active vote
Lone_Prodigy (has voted previously)
flatearthpanda
freakinchair
StarSketch

Kevyt

I'm at work so I might miss some of the end day stuff shenanigans (if there's any). My vote for Dragonz will stay though.

Gorlak

Banned
early attack on kyanrute. You may not remember this because he immediately drops it and never goes near it again, which is odd given how strongly worded it is, and completely useless if he actually suspects Kyan to be scum. His excuse at the time was he was more focused on Darryl, but he's found time to search for scum elsewhere, so why never question Kyan further?

My theory: he dropped it because he forgot about it, because he never believed it in the first place.

This is a lie. Get out of here Splinter. I had a nice shit-chat with Kyan and asked him if he's scum and about his suspects. Stop spreading bullshit.

Then there is the conversation about breadcrumbing. We disagreed here but I assume it was an honest disagreement, I don't think this was very scummy.

Some aggressive prodding on feng. Thought this was weird at the time but he's since explained it and the logic checks out.

His No Lynch vote was pointless and I've already described how I think this was intended to manipulate us (although slightly rescinded on closer analysis).

He did a good job defending against Sophia, although I think she backed off too easily here.
----
This is everything that happened before your vote. Literally the only thing you find suspicious is my No Lynch vote. But even that isn't really outright suspicious to you, so you backed down quickly.

I'm not satisfied... :/ Are you scummy scum scum?

1. I don't know if this is misunderstanding or misrepresenting, but Darryl didn't gambit. He was simply talking about town PRs in a way that was less likely for scum. The only way this is a gambit is if Darryl is scum.
Yeah, no way a sane ordinary would ever gambit about being a PR. That literally NEVER happens...

The rest boils down to "he's overreacting now".

Sophia

Hmm. In fairness to Gorlak, almost everyone calls out for a question of a No-lynch sometime during day 1.

Gonna read over yours and his posts for a second, although I don't think I'll find anything that'll make me change my vote for now.

*Splinter

Well shit, ok I managed to miss some posts between Gorlak and Kyan. They had a conversation that went like this:
G: Kyan who do you think is scum
K: *pointless non-answer*
and that was that. Gorlak never responded to Kyan despite his lack of a real answer.

Speaking of non-answers:
I don't know. There is not enough material to judge him. Right now I wouldn't vote him if that's what you're asking?
Not enough material? No shit, it's D1! I wasn't asking you to stake your life on it, and you seemed to have an opinion earlier in the day, so why can't you answer now? You could have responded with a gut feeling and at least you'd have stated a position.

For not much reason and despite his poor post mentioned above, I do not currently think Kyan is scum. Do you?

*Splinter

Wasn't so hard now, was it?

Ok time is running short and I have no real intention of lynching Gorlak today.

LP has done literally nothing and is a fine lynch choice. Possible downside is he could be an afk PR and doesn't appear to be here to defend himself.

Crimson I earlier listed as null. I'd rather not lynch him but I'm not going to be fighting his case either.

Feng has had a couple of dodgy posts. I'd probably be voting him if this weren't his first game.

FEP is scummy. Hasn't contributes much, scum hunted even less. Mostly self-defense. Think he's the best choice for today.

VOTE: flatearthpandas

tur_1459461600.png

Gorlak

Banned
3. Similar, trying to discredit the arguments against him before they gather momentum. There are only 2 votes on Gorlak at this point and one of them is old. So calling it a "bandwagon" is the start of him overreacting to suspicion - something that he continued to do all day.

hmm... which is the "old" vote on me at this point? the quoted post is #310. the votes are in #297 and #305. you know the game...

---

Well let's start the last hour madness now!

Sophia

bullshit0wpot.jpg

Hmm... Splinter, personally I thought Gorlak's "early attack" on Kyanrute seemed more like meta-humor than anything. And they did indeed have that chat with each other, that you acknowledged you missed.

(Posts #127, #129, #130, and at the end #190, #191, #192, #195, #196)

*Splinter

Oh come on Splints! It's so much fun right now! All of your well justified arguments against me? I'm not lynchworthy anymore?
I was never going to lynch the second most active poster, I'm surprised you never called me out on that (I will never lynch high on D1). I think you're scummy but I'm not willing to lynch you on a D1 hunch, no matter how much I can pretty it up ;)

*Splinter

Or, apparently, "fail to pretty up"

hmm... which is the "old" vote on me at this point? the quoted post is #310. the votes are in #297 and #305. you know the game...

---

Well let's start the last hour madness now!
I thought my vote (and your post), came later in the day than this. 2 votes is still not a bandwagon though so you are arguing semantics here.

I'm on mobile and I vote slow so here we go. First,

Vote: Gorlak[/vote]

His breadcrumb thing. His voting all over. But the breadcrumb thing. Still blows my mind he was serious. Seems so much easier to pass off as a joke. But he got defensive about it when called out. I read through and sometimes it seems like he's consistent on it, sometimes it seems like he's unsure whether he wants to drag that cross around or if he does want to pass it as a joke. This ambiguous feeling about his own actions is what has me.

Gorlak

Banned
I thought my vote (and your post), came later in the day than this. 2 votes is still not a bandwagon though so you are arguing semantics here.

DO YOU NOT SEE HOW DIRE MY SITUATION IS. I'M THIRSTY AND SOPHIA WON'T TELL WHAT'S IN THE DESERT. THREE PEOPLE VOICE SUSPICION: TWO MORE VOTE: DAY SHORTENED: SUDDEN SURPRISE A NEW ONE PUNCHES ME IN THE FACE: VOTE LEADER ONE HOUR TO GO

Darryl hiding in the back, enjoying his gambit. Slooth gonna slooth. Many busy many quiet.

Again, on mobile and we're heading to deadline and I believe I'm up there in votes so I'm not going to fuck around. I guess it's time to claim a bit.

The reason why I seem to have been overly reliant on fluff as to the gods being neutrals who aren't fighting each other in the beginning of the day is because I know the gods will be giving dictates during the night. This is not a huge reveal, as I suspect we will all see evidence of it before Day 2 begins. Knowing this, I believe the gods are rooting for us and influencing our play rather than fighting each other or us directly.

We can lynch me now to confirm this or, like I said, just wait until day and not waste a town pr. I'll confirm Derrick's assertion that town PR's are not named. Mine at least is a role title.

Top Bottom