• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-screen footage of DOOM running on the Switch handheld

HeroR

This. Never had to recalibrate once during a match in Splatoon 2. You press "Y" once at game start and you're set for the entire session. Wish more games implemented gyro this well (even on PS4).

Pretty much. I honestly don't get this "gyro isn't good in fast-shooters". What is this based on?

A bit late but my impressions on playing DOOM was beyond my expectations to be honest.

Upon the setup, we were given the pro controllers to play with as the joycons themselves were charging with the system. That said, rather than play through the story mode, I actually opted to play Arcade mode. Chose Beginner as I'd not played this version of DOOM before and jumped right in.

Using the Pro Controller was pretty much second nature, I never had to glance at the cheat sheet for the controls while melee was extremely satisfying due to the HD rumble funny enough. Despite the game running at 720p undocked, everything was pretty crisp and vibrant on the screen and the only time I noticed any FPS dips was when there was a lot of stuff onscreen - but even then, it was really minor and I knew the build wasn't fully optimized. I was able to pull of headshots with my pistol despite the enemies being 3 floors below me in the canyon and got to play around with all the other weapons offered in Arcade mode.

Only got to play for like 20-25 minutes (as we were pulled to wait for our turn to play Evil Within 2) but after playing the demo, I was pretty much sold on buying the game whenever it came out.

Cerium

A bit late but my impressions on playing DOOM was beyond my expectations to be honest.

Upon the setup, we were given the pro controllers to play with as the joycons themselves were charging with the system. That said, rather than play through the story mode, I actually opted to play Arcade mode. Chose Beginner as I'd not played this version of DOOM before and jumped right in.

Using the Pro Controller was pretty much second nature, I never had to glance at the cheat sheet for the controls while melee was extremely satisfying due to the HD rumble funny enough. Despite the game running at 720p undocked, everything was pretty crisp and vibrant on the screen and the only time I noticed any FPS dips was when there was a lot of stuff onscreen - but even then, it was really minor and I knew the build wasn't fully optimized. I was able to pull of headshots with my pistol despite the enemies being 3 floors below me in the canyon and got to play around with all the other weapons offered in Arcade mode.

Only got to play for like 20-25 minutes (as we were pulled to wait for our turn to play Evil Within 2) but after playing the demo, I was pretty much sold on buying the game whenever it came out.
Thanks for the impressions, added them to the OP.

I would note that the Switch screen itself is 720p so it couldn't have been rendering any higher than that.

Thanks for the impressions, added them to the OP.

I would note that the Switch screen itself is 720p so it couldn't have been rendering any higher than that.

No problem.

And of course, but just wanted to note that they never had them docked at any point - everything was pretty much laid out on a massive table: one side was all Doom, the other side was all Skyrim. All systems were undocked.

giphy.gif

Arozay

Couldn't imagine playing it without a mouse.

I suck at dual analog though, and have only had bad times with gyro (MP3).

TheMoon

MP3 didn't use gyro. It had IR pointer controls. Very different.

It's baffling that there's still so much confusion about these things as Wii Remotes didn't even have a gyro until 2010 and only if you bought a WiiMotion+ dongle (or a Wii Remote+ later on).

Now I ain't tryna say anythinggg but Metroid prime 4 by Id tech ??? :O

1) someone already made a whole thread about this idea
2) id isn't working on this port
3) id's game design is the polar opposite of Metroid design

Honestly I'm trying to look for some glaring downsides but the port looks absolutely spot on for what they're trying to achieve.

Having a relaxed morning playing my Switch and just thinking about pulling off glory kills on my sofa is a very satisfying notion.

Celine

Sounds good.

Zedark

Sounds great, thanks for the impressions!

I do wonder how far down the dynamic res goes in handheld mode. Maintaing 720p all throughout the game would be ridiculous for the Switch, so there has to be some dynamic res at work. I've read different opinions regarding how crisp it was (ranging from crisp to fuzzy), so can't wait to see a full DF analysis on the actual footage and how the resolution scales.

Oregano

Sounds great, thanks for the impressions!

I do wonder how far down the dynamic res goes in handheld mode. Maintaing 720p all throughout the game would be ridiculous for the Switch, so there has to be some dynamic res at work. I've read different opinions regarding how crisp it was (ranging from crisp to fuzzy), so can't wait to see a full DF analysis on the actual footage and how the resolution scales.

I would personally guess 480p but that's based on pretty much nothing.

jamonbread

Neo Member
Has anyone seen this updated post on rollingstone website yet?

According this the journalist Bethesda got back to him and confirmed that Doom will run at 720p 30FPS when docked with no change in graphics?

No motion controls either, and the game will come on a 16GB cart.

"Update: Bethesda got back to me on a few other questions that have been floating around out there. I've updated the story to reflect the answers, but here they are for those who already read the story.

There is no difference in how graphics are rendered between docked and handheld modes, although the game may appear different simply because it is played on a larger screen, according to Bethesda. When it is docked, the game plays on your television at 720p.

The 16GB cartridge is why multiplayer is a separate download for those purchasing a hard copy of the game.

And, unfortunately, no, the game does not include Splatoon-like motion controls."

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/...at-30fps-multiplayer-download-is-9-gb-w504975

Has anyone seen this updated post on rollingstone website yet?

According this the journalist Bethesda got back to him and confirmed that Doom will run at 720p 30FPS when docked with no change in graphics?

No motion controls either, and the game will come on a 16GB cart.

"Update: Bethesda got back to me on a few other questions that have been floating around out there. I've updated the story to reflect the answers, but here they are for those who already read the story.

There is no difference in how graphics are rendered between docked and handheld modes, although the game may appear different simply because it is played on a larger screen, according to Bethesda. When it is docked, the game plays on your television at 720p.

The 16GB cartridge is why multiplayer is a separate download for those purchasing a hard copy of the game.

And, unfortunately, no, the game does not include Splatoon-like motion controls."

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/...at-30fps-multiplayer-download-is-9-gb-w504975

There's a thread about this.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437126

Good god damn. Just imagine if the Switch had an A11 in it...
It would be nice, but it'd probably be absurdly expensive and we probably wouldn't be in the situation where the Switch would be getting Doom in the first place as very few people would have bought one. Video game consoles can only be so expensive.

Ok, so, now that we know this thing can handle Doom and still look good, can we know pl3ase have the Bioshock Collection on Switch, 2k?

jamonbread

Neo Member
Ok, so, now that we know this thing can handle Doom and still look good, can we know pl3ase have the Bioshock Collection on Switch, 2k?

Bioshock collection would be great.

If Skyrim turns out to be running 900/1080p docked, I'd like to see Fallout 3, and New Vegas too. If they could squeeze them both on a single cart that would be even more appealing.

Top Bottom